3/27/17

Grey Blazer + Goal Getting

|
I hope you all had a fun and fulfilling weekend! Mine was really nice having my mom in town. We didn't do the touristy stuff that we've done on some of her past visits, partly because we've already done it before! We did see Beauty & the Beast, which was perfect for a Mother-Daughter date. And she joined right in with our everyday family life and got in lots of quality visiting time.

On another note, it's Performance Season at school lately, and I've established a go-to outfit formula for all of the recent events: Blazer, knit tee or tank, jeans, and comfortable heels. I used this formula for two school orchestra concerts (first outfit in this post and the second outfit in this post), and recently again as shown below for the 4th Grade play.

Outfit:
Blazer: Express | Tank: Target | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Forever 21 (Similar) | Necklace: LOFT (Similar) | Bag: Amazon | Ring (below): Kendra Scott | Nails: China Glaze "Let's Chalk About It"

Outfit Notes:
This grey blazer seemed like it would be a good addition to my closet since I love my grey moto jackets and grey cardigan, but I do have events (just like this) where neither one of those seems like the right piece to finish the outfit. A moto jacket felt too edgy and a cardigan felt too casual for me, so the blazer was perfect. I have a few Express blazers (two of them in this exact 24-inch, one-button style) and they each have a nice amount of stretch to them. That makes them pretty comfortable and easy to move in, and in general they're really nice quality for the price (especially when you watch for the sales). For size reference, normally I wear an XS in tops and all of my Express blazers are a 0. This one is as well, but if I wanted to close the front button I would need to size up to a 2. I don't ever button my blazers, so I kept the smaller size since I prefer the more fitted look at the waist and I can still move comfortably.

And once again it's the Target maternity tank! I wear a Small in this because it gives me some extra length in the torso (which I especially need when I'm wearing it with leggings) and is only a tiny bit bigger everywhere else than the XS. I sometimes wonder if pregnant women can even wear these past their second trimester- they just don't seem long enough!

Front View:
Blazer: Express | Tank: Target | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Forever 21 (Similar) | Necklace: LOFT (Similar) | Bag: Amazon | Ring: Kendra Scott | Nails: China Glaze "Let's Chalk About It"

Monday Motivation: Write On and Goal-Getting
Before I get on with today's topic, I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone who commented on my post about Priorities last week! There were so many thoughtful and supportive comments and I really wanted to reply individually to each of you, but didn't have a chance for all of the reasons stated in my post! But it felt great that so many of you related to my thoughts and had such encouraging words and great perspective.

I started this series as a way to stay motivated and accountable for my New Year's Goals and Values (originally posted here). Two months into this series and I can honestly say it is doing that and then some! Throughout the week, the thought of, "What am I going to write for Monday Motivation next week?" will randomly pop into my head, and that thought leads me to, "well I better do something worthwhile with my life so I have something to write about!" Writing here on the blog has been the best personal accountability tool for me, and it's the last benefit I ever expected to get out of blogging!

As part of my Personal Growth value this year I've read/listened to a number of books on psychology and personal development, and the power of writing things down comes up frequently.  If you don't want to read an entire book on the subject, just Google, "the power of writing down your goals" and you'll find plenty of articles supporting this point (e.g. here is a good one that's a very quick read). One even claims that people who write down their goals have an 80% higher chance of achieving them! (Here is that article, although they don't credit their source for those stats so take it for what it's worth.)

So I'm going to keep on writing here about goals, motivation and accountability with the hope that it shapes me into a better person week by week and month by month. I am pretty sure that posting on a public forum keeps me more accountable than if I simply wrote this in a journal, but I don't have any proof of that. But if you have a blog or a Facebook or Instagram and you need motivation and accountability in some area of your life...why not write about it?  Share it and see what happens. Or just feel free check in here in the comments and share. I love reading about other people's goals because they often inspire me in some way, just like Carrie's goal series last year inspired mine this year.

* * *

That does it for today, but my book reviews and more are coming up on Wednesday. I have a few great books to recommend this month so don't miss it!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

10 comments:

  1. Oh I love this blazer and overall look, so classy. I'm also happy you had a great time with your mom. There's definitely a power in writing things down and while certain goals I don't really want to share on the blog, I know that having a notebook to track my finances for example has been the most effective tool for me.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the blazer! Very chic and refined! Glad to hear you had a great visit with your mom! My mom took my daughter to see Beauty and the Beast this weekend for a girls night and they said it was really good! I'm hoping to see it soon!

    Have a great Monday girl!

    Xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  3. my first movie - ever - was beauty and the beast and it was just my mum & i. i was super young but i have memories of it and we have these theatres at home that play movies longer than others, so i was going to wait to go home and see it with her so it could be the same.. great mother daughter date! but the theatre closed down and mum is still in hospital, so i went to see it last weekend and it was pretty magical :) (sorry, extra emotional today for some reason).
    i think it's fantastic that your monday motivation series is helping so much! i definitely do better with goals that i share online vs write in my planner (as i have some that i don't share, because i'm embarrassed? which is stupid because i don't accomplish them anyway when i only write them in my planner). can't wait to see what you've been reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gray blazer! And your thoughts on goals! I know the goals I have achieved best are ones I've written down. Sharing them with others has always been scary to me. But I think I should try it with some goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A blazer is a great alternative to a moto jacket or cardigan. Love the grey color! I definitely agree that sharing your goals helps hold you accountable to them and helps you achieve them. I have a hard enough time writing them down so maybe I should step it up and try sharing them!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I didn't realize that writing down goals can really help motivate you that much! It does make sense though. Seeing something on paper can drive you to achieve it versus just thinking about it. I've been looking for a new black blazer. Good to know Express ones are good buys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this outfit! The blazer is a great color! They are such a great basic to have, and I wear mine a ton. As for writing things down, I couldn't agree more. I'm a visual person so documenting ideas and goals is the best way to achieve them because you can see them on paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a perfect outfit for school events! That gray blazer is so versatile. I'm glad this has been a useful tool for keeping you on track. I've started writing down my goals, but I need to establish a ritual to keep looking back at a goals and reminding me of what I want to achieve.

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blog definitely keeps me accountable for so many things, including any goals I decide to share! Obviously my Pilates endeavor is a huge goal that is great to share about and sharing keeps me motivated too! I'm glad this series has proven to be as beneficial to you as your readers! And I love this classic combo. I don't have enough blazers and always wonder why I don't have more whenever I wear one!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. In love with this blazer, such a great color, too! I'm a huge believer in writing things down, I just feel my brain register my goals in a much different way than it does when I just "think" about doing something or when I talk about those goals.

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!