3/6/17

Pink Tee, Taupe Moto Jacket + Photo Organization

|
Apparently I have a thing for pink this Spring! Or maybe it's every Spring...I haven't gone back through my archives to check that out. But regardless, I knew I wanted a light pink tee this season and after buying and returning options from a few different brands looking for the right shade and fit, I landed on this one from the Gap.

Jacket: Express | Tee: Gap (Soft Plum) | Jeans: Express | Sandals: Amazon (Taupe) | Bag: c/o Amazon | Necklace: Kendra Scott

Outfit Notes:
Hm, I just realized the exact color name of my Jacket, Shoes, and Bag are all Taupe! So much for not being matchy-matchy! Oh well, they aren't all the exact same shade of taupe so it worked for me. And for at least 80% of the day I wasn't walking around with my bag in hand.  Anyway...

If this tee isn't on sale for 40% off today, wait 2-3 days and I'm sure it will be. I've been having good luck with a few pieces at the Gap lately so I've been watching their promotions more closely, and let's just say they have 40% sales way more often than Express! (Not complaining though!) At any rate, this tee runs true to size and I went for an XS because I wanted it to be fairly fitted as an under-layer. I like the curved hem since it means I can easily leave it untucked. I've only worn this once so I can't report on how it holds up in the laundry, but at least it held its shape well throughout the day.

My jeans and jacket are both staples from Express that I've worn many times. They're both true to size with no surprises in terms of fit or how they wear.

My sandals have been hibernating since summer, but this exact pair is still in stock in most sizes (and in several other colors) and still a great price at under $30 for most sizes. I ordered my usual size and they fit perfectly. Normally I don't like anything higher than a 3" heel for everyday wear and these are just a bit higher than that. Comfort-wise they're still okay, but I wouldn't choose them on a day when I had lot of walking to do.

Front View:

Monday Motivation:

A couple of years ago (here) I shared some of my methods for organizing my family photos into annual photo albums. 2015 and 2016 were my first two years of staying caught up on keeping our photos organized, and I am motivated to keep at it in 2017, even though I have to admit I dread it! My family loves having the photo books when they are complete (myself included), but it's a tedious task and it's never-ending since we are always doing things and taking more and more photos.

Image via: Shutterfly

This is on my mind in particular right now since February just ended and we had a few more photo-worthy moments than usual last month thanks to our staycation. I'm struggling to find the motivation for this project, but I know I have to tackle it ASAP so I don't get behind and overwhelmed.

I've covered most of what I do in the post I linked above, but I thought I would share a couple of my simple tips and strategies for staying on top of photo organization that I haven't shared before.

1. Take Fewer Pictures
Here's the thing: I don't know the stats on this but I would guess people in 2017 take at least 100 more photos per month than they did in 1990. (That's probably a conservative estimate, but that would be an interesting study!)  If you just want to store them on your computer that's fine, but if you want to put them into a photo book it will be impossible to get them all in there. In my books, most photo-worthy events (e.g. School Concert) get one page in the book. I normally don't like more than 5 photos per page or it starts to look busy. Knowing that, when I go to the school concert, I focus on getting those key shots that capture the memory and those will go in the book. Then I put the camera away and just enjoy the experience in real time! I know we want to capture and hold onto every precious moment and memory, but we just can't, no matter how many photos we take. Now instead of sorting through 30 photos from the School Concert, when it comes photo time I only have to sort through ten and pick the best five.

My mom was always great about keeping up with our family photo albums, and those have been helpful to me in giving some perspective about not taking and keeping a million photos per year. In my childhood, if I had a birthday party, 1-2 photos from that event made it to the album. If I had a dance recital...1-2 photos made the album. And you know what? As an adult looking back now, that's enough! I am not sad that there aren't thousands of pictures capturing each movement of my dances. The two photos are enough to remind me of that time and experience in my life. Anything beyond that wouldn't make me any happier in the present time. I'm certainly glad I have some photos, but more isn't always better.

2. Set Deadlines 
For me to stay on top of the pictures and photo book game, I have to give myself deadlines and consequences to force myself to do it. Normally I assign the first weekend of the new month as the time to get caught up on photos from the previous month. I don't allow myself to browse the web, scroll social media, read my book etc. that weekend until I have put in some time on the photo project. I don't have to  finish it all, but I do need to make progress before I can take a break. If I'm really dreading the task in a given month, I might ask my kids or husband to check in with me about it to give me some extra accountability.

3. Set a Timer
Trying to get all the photo work done at once overwhelms me, so depending on circumstances I might say to myself, "Okay, if I work on photos for 20 minutes, I can scroll Instagram afterwards." Thinking about working on photos for an hour sounds tedious, but 20 minutes I can handle. Sometimes I'll be on a roll when 20 minutes is up and keep going, other times I stop at 20 minutes, take my break, then get back to photos at my next opportunity.

By no means do I think this is the best way or the only way to tackle photos and photo books! It's just what I'm doing and what's working for me right now. And it's always an area where I struggle to find motivation so it seemed like a good topic for today. As always, I love hearing your tips on these topics and how you stay organizes and motivated, so if you have any please send them my way!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

20 comments:

  1. I lovE GAP tees, they are my second fave after jcrew and I never buy at gap unless it's 40% off. Talking about photos I've been wanting to reorganize my childhood albums for year. I need to do it already.


    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are photos so fun to take and look at but so dreadful to organize? LOL, glad you can relate! I'm glad to know you've had good luck with Gap tees, too. I haven't worn theirs in awhile so I'm interested to see how this one holds up.

      Delete
  2. Gap tees are the best and I love the soft pink color of yours! The last time your posted about family albums I promised myself I would start working on mine but I've done nothing! I definitely need to set some deadlines and a timer - great ideas!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO hard to find the motivation, isn't it?? Half of my motivation at this point comes from knowing if I get behind it will be THAT much worse. But definitely just doing a little at a time helps so you feel like you're making progress but not committing yourself to hours of misery at once.

      Delete
  3. I needed a post like this. I'm stuck on April 2016 and need to get on that project ASAP. I really like you're suggestion about taking fewer photos. It's true. Now that we all carry cameras with us, there is a self-imposed pressure to snap everything. Good advice, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're doing probably better than 90% of the population if you're on 2016 at all! It's true, we do feel like we have to capture EVERY moment. Sometimes I feel guilty at school events when I feel like the only parent who DOESN'T have my camera out every second! But I've just learned I don't want to deal with that many pictures and they don't do the family a lot of good just being stored on my computer. Anyway, glad I could share some motivation. I'll get on your case this weekend on Instagram to see if you've set some time aside to work on April! LOL!

      Delete
  4. I love that you do these photo books! It definitely takes time and discipline and these are great tips to tackle them so it's not overwhelming! I totally agree that we take way more photos these days. It's hard not to when your camera goes with you everywhere! Also, that jacket is fabulous!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the 24/7 camera access is really a blessing and a curse! We capture so many more great moments...but it easily gets overwhelming to manage all those moments while continuing to have a life in the present!!

      Delete
  5. Gap has had some great staple items lately! I am such a fan of curved hem tees. This one looks fabulous! It might accidentally hop in my cart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited that this one worked out because Express used to have some curved hem tees that I loved...then they stopped making them! It's just so much easier to make it look nice when you don't want to tuck it in!

      Delete
  6. I may have to check out the gap tees! And I've just recently realized the same thing about photos- take less! I don't need that many and don't like to sort through them. Thanks for the great advice on photo albums too- very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how it's such a simple thing to say "take less" pictures but it really requires a conscious effort in this day and age when our cameras are with us ALL the time! I'm glad you've already had that epiphany and that it's working for you!

      Delete
  7. Loving all of these details, especially that jacket!

    http://ariadibari.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friends and I were just talking about this! Digital photos are great, but when you're constantly taking pics on your phone, it doesn't seem as personal as actually printing them out and compiling them into albums. I know I still enjoy looking at photo albums from growing up and it's good for kids of all ages to have a reference point! I think taking less is key. We didn't take many pictures this weekend because we wanted to be in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the year of 2017. People around me suddenly begin to hang out with black strapless dress.I'm feeling curious and suspicion at the moment:"Is this a thing now?"And here's my thoughts after research and the dress that I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks dear, I'm actually getting mine done today! x You will like to see more fashion from here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this look- very simple color palette but the end result is soo chic.

    And I've been trying to do something similar re: timing. Because multi-tasking isn't actually real (or as effective as we once thought), I try to keep myself on one task at a time, until I get it done. If that's not possible because the task is too big, I set a time limit. I think it helps me focus!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to have books like that, but I can't get my act together, lol! These are all great tips! The timer works really well for me, especially for tasks that I don't really enjoy. I'm also trying to figure out how to deal with all of the pictures I take. I feel like I should edit/review them after an event so that I can delete or store the good ones, so I don't have to review 5 versions of the same picture.

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photo book advice! I love the yearbook idea. I have years of back photos to do someday but I don't want to do them now. Too hard. But I am happy to have found a system that works for me now. I do Chatbooks from my favorites album on my phone. Totally works- not a yearbook a year but I am picky what goes in them. I like the small book format too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chatbooks idea sounds fun! I've heard of them but haven't really looked into them and I probably should to get with the times. It also sounds easier than what I'm doing (although it's probably not the way things are with photos!) which would be nice!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!