1/23/17

Monday Motivation 1/23/17

|
I'm really trying to get away from starting all of my posts with, "Happy [insert day of the week] everyone!" First, it's unoriginal and I'd hate for anyone to think I'm copying them specifically. Second...what if it's not such a happy day? Maybe it's a little presumptuous to think we're all having a happy day today! So I'll add that to the list of habits I'm trying to change this year, which goes right along with the Monday Motivation I'm sharing today. But first, here's a recent rainy day outfit, complete with an umbrella, not a selfie stick, just to be clear.

Sweater: Express (Similar, Very Similar, Only available in XS but on sale)  | Tee: Express (White currently out of stock, Similar that I also own and recommend) | Jeans: ExpressLocket: Pictures on Gold (Gift) | Boots: Target (Similar) | Ring: c/o Megan Auman | Bag: Amazon | Nails: OPI "Let's Be Friends"

Outfit Notes:

When it rains, I reach for my crossbody bags more often than not because I need a dedicated hand for my umbrella. This black crossbody is just the right size to hold my essentials and only $30. I like it so much I ordered the burgundy as well! To see what I carry in my everyday handbag and my strategies for quickly switching my belongings between bags, see this post.

This locket was a gift from my family and I uglied cried when I opened it because it has my favorite picture of my dad with my favorite quote of his. (More on that here.) It's the perfect size and the perfect meaningful gift. Not only am I grateful for such a thoughtful gift, but I'm also happy to be introduced to this brand because now I have some new ideas for special gifts to give people!


Front View:

Shop the Look:


Monday Motivation:
This year, I'm doing my best to stay on track with my New Year Goals and any other goals I make throughout the year by checking in here on Mondays and sharing my motivational ups and downs. One of the specific things I want to improve this year is my punctuality and time management. Over the last three weeks, I've tried to observe myself objectively and analyze why I run late for some appointments or why certain projects or tasks take me longer than they really should. It's been an eye opening effort and frankly, I'm a little disappointed with myself and my results. There's one main interruption in my life that slows me down (because I let it) so much more than it should throughout the day and takes up more of my time than I really think it does, and that's my iPhone. Having constant, convenient Internet access via my always-within-reach iPhone has so many advantages, but it's my Achilles heel when it comes to time management. For example, if I'm doing my morning workout and resting between sets with weights, I might think I have time to scroll through Instagram a bit and reply to a photo or comment (so hey! I'm really saving time by doing this now instead of just sitting here)...but then I end up pausing the DVD player because it took me longer than I thought to type the reply or I wanted to check what size I'm wearing in a certain piece of clothing because I had a question about it. And that's just one example of a dozen instances I've noticed throughout the day where, "I'll just do this one thing on my phone" ends up taking 3-5 minutes instead of the 30 seconds I think it will take.

And it's not just the Internet and Social Media. It's texting, too. I'd much rather text than talk on the phone 99% of the time, but even when I'm pressed for time I find it so hard to ignore text message alerts. I think to myself, "I'll just quickly see who it is and what they said." Which leads to, "It will only take me 10 seconds to reply so I'll just do that right now before I forget." Wrong...it always takes me longer than I think to write a message because auto-correct or voice-to-text don't get what I want to say and I have to fix it, or I need to add just the right emoji to convey my true sentiments and I have to hunt for the Unicorn emoji for a full minute before I find it because it's not in my most-used section.

So all that is to say that I'm very motivated to change some of my bad habits. I'm becoming one of "those people" who are always on their phone and I don't like it. At this point I'm still not 100% sure exactly how I'm going to address the problem. I've been thinking about how I help my kids manage their time by requiring them to be off their tech devices at a certain time in the morning to focus on getting ready, and I think I need to do that myself. And during the day when I'm working on a blog post or some other task, I need to not allow myself to take a break/go off task until I've worked a certain amount of time or completed a certain amount of work.

Just being aware of my bad habits has helped me improve a bit, but I have a ways to go. I just finished my second audio book (also discussed in my New Year post) and am ready to start my third, so I decided to pick one that can hopefully help me with this. I just started listening to The Power of Habit (it has a 4.5 star rating with almost 4,000 reviews) with fingers crossed that it gives me the motivation I need to make some positive changes!
via Amazon


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. the locket is such a meaningful present, love it. So let me tell how avoid being a slave to my phone, first it might not make sense for everyone to do that because of having kids etc.. My phone is usually on silence all day long, I just don't let my phone interrupt me. I make sure to check it throughout the day but don't let it interrupt me. For example when I'm working out I usually put it on silence and face down so I don't see any notifications, I pretty much do this whenever I'm trying to accomplish a fairly important tasks and don't want to get distracted. So maybe certain times during the day, when everyone is home try to put the phone away and turn off the sound. :)

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions! Believe me I will be trying these!

      Delete
  2. To avoid being distracted by my phone, I put it on do not disturb and silent, too. I check it regularly so I don't really miss too much.

    I also set it up so that I still get phone calls from husband on do not disturb in case of emergencies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love these tips! I didn't realize there was an option to allow phone calls from certain people. One of my paranoid fears about silent/DND mode is that there will be an emergency of some kind so it's nice to know there's a way around that.

      Delete
  3. Your locket is so pretty and such a special gift! I've been trying to cut back on the time spent on my phone also. I've turned off my social media notifications so I don't get sidetracked.

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- I had to turn off social media alerts (well...just Instagram really) as well to feel like it wasn't running my life!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree and am guilty about my phone making me late. For example, this morning, I woke up at 6:45 which would have been adequate time to get ready and be in the car by 7:45. Except the first thing I do is check my phone. Make sure my blog post went live as usual. Post my link to Facebook. Put a photo on IG. Linkup my blog post to another blog. Reply to comments that came in from last night. And yeah. By the time I am actually getting in the shower, it's 7:20 and my hour has turned into 40 minutes since I absolutely need to be out of the house by 8. I don't know when I will learn to allow for all that time. Uggggh. I should also add that I usually cover some of those steps during the ride to work while the husband drives but since I had to drive myself today, I had to do it all beforehand. And it throws my whole day off!!!! Anyhoo- I love that locket. The perfect gift! I totally understand ugly crying for that!!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you can relate! The sad part is I get up early to allow some quiet time to do all that blog stuff first thing in the morning but it STILL ends up creeping into my time throughout the day. It never ends!

      Delete
  5. My husband just got me a locket for Christmas and he put a photo of himself on one side and the kids on the other. I love it! So glad you have a locket with a photo of your dad in it! I had to laugh when you said you check your phone sometimes during working out! It really is hard to get off social media sometimes. I will play IG Stories a lot when I have to do my runs on the treadmill and I'll even scroll through IG... but, then I miss out on reading time (I do a lot on the treadmill, I know! Lol). I too prefer texting over the phone!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so silly...I can manage to go to a dance or kickboxing class and ignore my phone for the full hour (okay, sometimes I peek during water breaks), but at home I can't look away!

      Delete
  6. That locket is such a beautiful gift to remember your dad. It's gorgeous!

    And I agree that my phone is becoming attached to my hand and I don't like it. I have been trying lately to make efforts to stay off my phone. I even turned it off last night! But it's difficult because I always get the feeling that I'm missing out on something. There has to be balance. Definitely something to work on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone! This is definitely a work in progress.

      Delete
  7. That locket is beautiful! What a great idea for a way to remember a loved one and for a gift! I know what you mean about being late. It isn't a matter of just being late, it's trying to fit it all in and multi-task too much and make the most out of every second!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this sweater- what a solid, go-everywhere piece.
    And I HEAR YOU re: your phone commanding so much of your time. Same, girlfriend. And I always think, "This'll just take a second..." and then I look up and boom, there goes a half hour. Totally feel you. I find it so hard to unplug!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. If I do unplug I just feel like I'm going to have more to catch up on later so I'd rather do a little here and there to stay on top of things. Obviously that's not working so well for me at times.

      Delete
  9. That locket is such a thoughtful gift!

    I feel like I'm always running running late since I underestimate how much time something will take. I've started turning my phone over so I'm not distracted by and and trying to set aside 15-20 minute blocks to only respond to e-mails/texts/look at social media. Otherwise, I could spend hours on my phone.

    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Power on Habit. I thought it was interesting and made me realize how important is it to consciously create good habits, but I didn't get that many actionable takeaways on setting and sticking to my habits...

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guilty of underestimating the time it takes to get out the door as well. Especially if I'm mostly ready and just need to grab my bag and go. That always turns into a longer ordeal of freshen up, use restroom, fill my water, get shoes, etc.

      I'm glad to hear from someone who has read The Power of Habit! So far I am finding the same as you. (I've made it through 3 chapters now.) It's VERY interesting but so far not helping me as much with HOW I need to change my habits. I was hoping that would come later in the book but from your review it sounds like I need to change my expectation!

      Delete
  10. bahahahaha @ the umbrella not a selfie stick. hahahaha. i found that way too funny.
    i love a good crossbody bag, i'll have to check that one out.
    that locket is so precious. what a wonderful gift.
    i'll have to check out The Power of Habit - sounds good. as for the phone.. i used to be really bad with facebook/instagram etc. not so much the internet or texting but still, i was on my phone ALLTHETIME. what helped me is turning off data. not completely, because then you don't get texts and things stop working. but for certain apps - like snapchat or instagram. messages, maps, clock and weather have data for me and that's it. if i'm out and need to google something, i go into my settings and turn it on. but if i just want to check instagram or something ridiculous that can wait until i get home or work or somewhere with wifi? it makes me rethink it, if that makes sense. at first, it was super obvious to me and i was always reaching for my phone, and the minute i'd get home i would check what i'd missed, but now? i keep my phone near me so i get texts and whatnot (i don't have a lot of people texting me haha) but i don't mindlessly scroll or waste time anymore.
    i'm sure i've told you that before, so sorry for over-re-explaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure you haven't told me that before, (and if you did, I don't remember), so thanks for sharing! That's yet another good suggestion and I had honestly never thought of it. I know I check way too often (and really...there is no urgent need for me to check instagram. ever.) and having an extra barrier like that is a great way to make me think twice before enabling it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!