9/12/16

How to Build a Classic Fall Wardrobe

|
Today is my friend Noelle's birthday so naturally that means a little blog celebration is in order! Of all my blogger friends, I think she has the most timeless, classic style. She's a perfect person to follow for ideas on how to build a classic wardrobe. When I look through her outfit photos on her blog, with most outfits I can't tell whether they came from last week or a few years ago.

For building a fall wardrobe (it's almost officially Fall), I think Noelle has it down with four key pieces that are versatile and stand the test of time:

1. Chambray Shirt
2. Utility Jacket
3. White (or Ivory) Button-Down Blouse
4. Taupe Booties

Each piece on Noelle:
Original Posts: One | Two | ThreeFour


For me, I like the foundation of my wardrobe to be classic pieces (more on how I built my wardrobe in this post), and over the past few years I've collected these same pieces for myself. A couple of my exact favorites are still in stock and others have plenty of similar options so let's review:

1. Chambray (or Denim) Shirt
I guess my shirt is technically called a denim shirt (difference explained herebut it serves the same purpose so I'm not splitting hairs. I have both the Light and Dark (although named medium) version of this shirt and I love he length and slight tapering at the waist  allow me to wear them tucked in or untucked.
Top: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Watch: Fossil | Bracelets: Express | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift) | Sandals: Nordstrom | Bag: Amazon

Shop the Look:


2. Utility Jacket
Both exact jackets Noelle and I are wearing are no longer in stores, but you can count on retailers to have jackets in this style every year. I linked a few currently available options below. While I love the traditional olive military style jacket, I also loved having this taupe version (very similar to Noelle's) because I found it looked more neutral with blue and green shades.
Jacket: Express (Similar, More Options Below) | Cami: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: J Crew (Gift, Similar) | Bag: Amazon (Similar) | Booties: Express | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift)

Shop the Look:

Utility Jacket Options ($50-100, Displayed Low to High):


3. White/Ivory Button Down Blouse
Both Noelle and I love the Portofino Shirt from Express, and really it's just as much a year-round staple as a Fall staple. I get asked pretty regularly about what bra I wear with this to prevent show-through. For me, a nude bra in a shade that's just a bit darker than my own skin works best. Anything with more white in it than that will show through (especially in pictures!).
Top: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Express (Similar) | Bracelets: Express | Watch: Fossil | Shoes: Target (Similar)

Shop the Look:


4. Taupe Booties
Express recently brought back my favorite Taupe Booties from last fall that I wore all the time. (See twelve different styling options in this post.)  They are probably the single most versatile pair of shoes I own. I'm happy to say I played a part in getting Noelle to purchase hers, but even more happy that she loved them as much as I do!
Jacket: Express | Cami: Express (Option) | Jeans: ExpressNecklace: Stella & Dot | Booties: Express | Bag: Amazon | Ring: c/o Kendra Scott

Shop the Look:



Front View for My Outfits:

Noelle has become a real-life friend just as much as a blog friend due to the fact that she only lives an hour away. Getting together on weekends is very doable with a little planning, and if you're following us both on social media (find Noelle on Instagram or Snapchat: @noelleengel and as usual my links are on the sidebar or below) hopefully you caught some of our adventures together! Be sure to stop by and wish her a happy birthday today!


Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne |  Lindsey | Alison

CONVERSATION

11 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Noelle! She definitely has classic and timeless style. You highlighted great pieces. I always love seeing how different people wear things, so this is a fun post.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing you guys hang together! Though I do get a little FOMO! Ha! She really does have timeless style!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That striped cami is so cute! I hope express brings a similar one back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a light yellow and a light mint Portofino shirt, and I always end up wearing a white lace cami underneath because I get nervous about my bra showing. I will have to try a darker nude bra. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me and I'm practically in tears. Thank you for your friendship. I really appreciate and value all the things I've learned (and am learning) because of you. You've taught me to go outside of my comfort zone and I've lived to talk about it! And I've enjoyed getting to know you and your sweet family! Thank you, this made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Noelle's classic style! These are great staples to take you into fall!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noelle's style is indeed so classic, your weekends hangout always look so fun.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love taupe booties! Never thought I'd find something better than black but I'm pretty sure at this point the taupe booties are my most-worn shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't follow Noelle, so thanks for introducing her to me! :) I'll have to add her to my SnapChat. That is so amazing you have a blogger friend so close to you! I am in love with taupe booties this fall (and was last). I also LOVE that white button down blouse!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw happy birthday to your friend! Noelle has great style, and you are right, very timeless. i don't have a chambray or denim shirt... okay that's a lie, i have one but i never wear it because i feel like an idiot with it on. i love my taupe booties though, and i just bought a white top that i'm hoping to wear more of this fall/winter. i have that voile tunic i think it was called, from express? it was like the first thing i bought that i'd seen on you, but this one is a bit longer. and from target. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!