9/26/16

Entertainment Favorites

|
Today I wanted to take a little break from outfits and shopping talk to join Erika in sharing some of my favorites in entertainment...everything from books to blogs and more!

Books:
I don't even want to think about narrowing down a list of all-time favorite books, but I went through my Kindle to refresh my memory on books I loved this year that I would recommend to almost anyone, and here are three that made the cut (in no particular order):

Favorites Books of 2016 (so far):

1.The Nightingale: I love historical fiction and this is so well done. Very engaging story, excellent character development. 


2. The Royal We: This is the best "chick lit" book I've read in awhile. Fun, easy, entertaining. I think I was a little let down by the ending but overall I enjoyed it a lot.


3. You are a Badass: This is easily the most motivating, positive book I've ever read. If you're looking to make any kind of change in your life from career to hobbies to friendships, you need to read this book! Thanks again to Erin for buying this for me so I had no excuse not to read it. And thanks to Megan's (currently private) post for convincing me I should read it in the first place!

Honorable Mention:
I really enjoyed these books but they're the type where I'm not sure if other people will like them as much as I did!

Where'd You Go Bernadette
The Kind Worth Killing

I have one more "honorable mention" book that I shared on Snapchat earlier this week. If you missed it, I'll be talking about it again on Wednesday so stay tuned for that!

Magazines
I'm currently subscribed to these three magazines:

Magazines Fall 2016


US Weekly: I love to get this and flip through it on the weekend, but because it's a weekly magazine, the subscription is pretty expensive. Considering I spend less than five minutes on it a week, I might not renew this one. (But I do enjoy it! It's just hard to justify the cost.)

People Style Watch: My favorite fashion magazine because they feature products I can actually afford!

Redbook: Just like People Style Watch, Redbook often features a lot of affordable outfit pieces. I also think they have interesting lifestyle articles on finances, relationships, health care, etc. that are actually worth the read.

TV
Dancing with the Stars is back and I'm loving (almost) every minute! I DVR this and watch in playback so I can skip the dancers I don't enjoy (ahem...Rick Perry). But there's quite a lot of talent this season, and so far my favorites are Laurie/Val (below) and Sharna/James. I've always loved Sharna's choreography (and dancing, of course) so I'm happy for her that she has a promising partner this year.

Blogs
I've been very lucky to turn my favorite bloggers into real life friends, and I can't even tell you how much support they give me behind the scenes here! You can read more about our first meetup here.
Favorite Bloggers: RachelleCarylee,  Noelle


Instagram
Erin and Skye don't blog anymore (not due to a lack of gentle nudging on my part!), but they do have about 80% closet overlap with me so they are a constant source of inspiration for new ways to wear what I already own. They're also always willing to help me out behind the scenes when I need an opinion on a post topic or blog change from someone with an outside perspective. I hope I get the chance to meet them both in person someday, but if you haven't "met" them on Instagram, you should!
 Erin - always helping me find balance!

Skye - always making me laugh!

* * *

Thanks for checking out my entertainment favorites today! On Wednesday a little bit of a mixed bag of fashion, food, and other randoms stuff so I hope you'll stop by and check it out!

Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne |  Lindsey | Alison

CONVERSATION

15 comments:

  1. I'm always tempted to get stylewatch but I just hate buying magazines. Maybe I need to get a subscription on my ipad. Loved the theme of this post, I still need to read you are a badass.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three of your book picks have been on my reading list this year. I need to pick them up from the library! I rarely read magazines anymore but love Redbook too!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Nightingale was so good! Loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your book favorites completely and I'm glad you liked You Are a Badass so much. (Still private, but the job search is going really really well).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww thanks for the shout out! I love that you read so much because I always have a source to go to! And I'm excited about my new subscription to Style Watch!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
    http://tipsoye.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that all of those books are so different. Thanks for the recs! People StyleWatch is my favorite fashion mag too! Happy Monday, Gina!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Nightingale was one of my favorite 2015 reads!! I need to check out those other two books. I have a few magazine subscriptions, but most of them are for home decor... I should subscribe to some fashion ones the next time my kiddos have a fundraiser. ;)

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I really want to ready "You Are A Badass"! That looks fun. Xo, Ellese

    Rock.Paper.Glam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your insight on the books! I'm more interested in reading now than I have been since college, and always in the market for new material. Of course, I can't say enough about the infamous book you kindly sent to me. It really is the single best book I have read on improving your life. I'm still working on that, but it helps! And you ladies are my favorites as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving this "chick lit" reference. What a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i still haven't read you are a badass, but it's on my kindle waiting for me! of course i love the nightingale and the royal we :) i think it's great you've made such fabulous friends through blogging! i used to love magazines, like obsessively - i swear, it seems i don't do anything by halves, i love to be obsessed with things haha. but really, i spent so much money and time on magazines (and i used to cut pictures of celebrities out, because i had issues but i was only like 16-19 so don't judge lol) that i had to like cut myself off cold turkey and haven't bought one since.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved The Royal We! I just got back into reading magazines and have found myself really enjoying Good Housekeeping. It's so much better than I remember it being!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!