7/27/16

What's Up Wednesday July

|
I'm joining What's Up Wednesday for a little end-of-the month review because it's a fun way to share some random topics here in addition to my usual outfits and shopping posts.

I answered several of the questions from the prompt below, so read on to see what's been going on around here this month.

What I'm eating this week:
I'm currently loving these Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper Pretzel Crisps. I love them with cheese in place of crackers. Pretty much any type of cheese seems to go well with it as long it doesn't have too much seasoning to compete with the seasoning of the crisps. So far I've had them with Brie, Goat Cheese and Trader Joe's Syrah cheese and loved all of those combos.

What I'm loving:
I've been playing around with false eyelashes a bit this past year for events where I want a little (or a lot) more dramatic eye look. I've watched lots of YouTube tutorials and tried a variety of products to make application easier, and so far this Revlon Lash Adhesive glue has helped me the most. I use the little paintbrush to paint just a bit of glue onto the strip of lashes, wait about 30 seconds for it to set, then apply the lashes. This doesn't come out in globs (like tubes of glue tend to do), so I don't end up with excess product all over the place. And best of all for me is that it dries and sets more quickly than anything else I've tried, so once I place the lashes they don't slide all over my eye and end up at my eyebrow. It comes in a clear version but I personally like black better.

 Revlon Lash Glue: Amazon

What I've been up to:
Summer-ing! Pool time, enjoying week nights with an 80% reduction in stress level thanks to the kids not having homework. And trying to make each weekend count by planning fun activities with family and friends.

What I'm dreading:
Back to school season! It tends to be hectic and stressful.

What I'm working on:
Behind the blog scenes I'm working on a collaboration series that starts next Tuesday as well as a Fitness Reference post to make it easier to find all things fitness related on the blog.

What I'm excited about:
The Summer Olympics! We watched a little bit of the Olympic trials as a family and my kids got into it. So I'm excited to experience the Summer Olympics with them, knowing it will be the first Olympics that they really remember. I have fond memories of watching the Olympics in my childhood (going way back to Mary Lou winning the gold!) I remember how inspiring it was. It's hard to find anything on television that our whole family can enjoy, so I think this will be fun.

What I'm reading:
I finished up a couple of books this month that I haven't shared yet. First up, The Memory Box:
Find it on Amazon
This one was not my favorite of the summer. I'd only give it 3 out 5 stars. Like a lot of the reviewers on Amazon, I found it too frantic. I know that was the point because that was the character's mental state, but it just made it impossible for me to connect the main character.

Second, Where Did you Go Bernadette:
Find it on Amazon

I really enjoyed this one! I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars for entertaining enjoyment. If I have to compare it to more meaningful books like The Nightingale then I could only give it 4 stars, but it was a fun summer read. It takes place in Seattle where I lived for six year so it got bonus points as a trip down memory lane for me, and I could relate to a lot of what Bernadette felt and experienced.

I'm currently reading The Silent Girls:
Find it on Amazon

I'm not far enough into it yet to give it any kind of rating. I will say the first couple of chapters seemed slow, but it's starting to pick up and I'm intrigued so I'm sure I'll want to finish it.

I finished one other book in July that I loved and talked about in this post!

What I'm wearing:
As usual I went through my Instagram feed for July to see which outfits connected the most with people there, so here are my four most-liked outfits of the month:

ONE:
Top: Express (Similar) | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Forever 21 | Necklace: LOFT (Similar) | Watch: Fossil | Ring: Target | Bag: c/o Danielle Nicole

Shop the Look:



TWO:
Top: Express | Shorts: J. Crew Factory | Sandals: Target | Necklace: LOFT (Similar) | Bracelet: LOFT (Similar)| Bag: Tory Burch (Similar)

Shop the Look:



THREE:
Jacket: Nordstrom | Tank: Target | Sandals: Target | Bag: c/o Danielle Nicole | Shorts: Target | Necklace: c/o Kendra Scott

Shop the Look:


FOUR:
Top: Express | Shorts: Old Navy (Similar) | Long Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift) | Short Necklace: Kendra Scott | Nails: Essie Blanc | Ring: Nordstrom | Sandals: Sam Edelman | Bag: Kohls

Shop the Look:


Front View:

Individual Front View Versions Here

What I'm looking forward to next month:

My three sisters are coming to visit next month and they've planned a couple of action packed days for us here in San Diego. I guess they didn't get too sick of me at the family reunion in June so it will be fun to visit with them in a smaller group setting.

* * *
And that's the latest from here! I hope you all had a great July. Just one more post left this month for me, or in other words see you back on Friday for my Outfit Recap and a few more Fitness DVD favorites.

Linking up with:
 Mel | Sheaffer | Shay | ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne |  Lindsey

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. Since we have a TV in our lunchroom at work, it will be nice to be able to watch the summer Olympics. I'm sure you'll have a blast with your sisters.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to practice more with false lashes, I'm so bad at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear when I read I have to read all of the same author until I exhaust all their books. So once I'm done with my current one, I will have to check out your reads. I completely didn't answer that question in my post and that would have been more exciting than my usual gossip girl and cardinals answer!! Also- I ordered two Barcelonas yesterday in the next size down!! One has a hot pink and a lighter pink on each side and the other is the blush/green combo. So needless to say, I am set on my pinks! Happy I ordered them before seeing you in yours in this post! Haha
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your reading recommendations and will have to look into where did you go Bernadette! Sounds up my alley since I feel lost half the time ;) The title alone calls to me. And I'm with Tara on the eyelash thing...I can't apply them either. I'm intrigued to see what series you are starting on the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh those forever21 shoes are so pretty! i'm trying not to shop though, so i'm ignoring how pretty they are.
    i suck at false lashes, my friend always does them for me, but i might have to try that revlon stuff and see if it makes it any easier.
    i am sorry i am looking forward to back to school and you are not lol. i can't imagine how stressful it is as a parent, so good luck and i hope it isn't too bad :)
    i'm glad you liked bernadette! i listened to it instead of reading and i think that kind of ruined my enjoyment, the narrator was (purposefully) annoying. i haven't read The Silent Girls yet but i've heard good things and it's only $2.99 on kindle and even though i'm trying not to shop, books can't count right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy watching the Olympics and it does seem to be one thing we can all agree on watching together. Every time I try to do false lashes it is a completely fail. Maybe I need to give this a try (and actually watch some You Tube videos!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretzel crisps (all flavors) are great, aren't they? I try to tell myself that eating tons of them is still better than other things...ha. They're also yummy dipped in hummus or tzatziki sauce. Thanks for sharing your false eyelash trial. Been meaning to try them for the first time ever. Maybe on a summer date night--when I have the time to apply them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seriously wear a tank like no other! I read Where'd You Go Bernadette 2 summers ago and loved it so we must have similar taste because I heard from others they hated it. Have you read What Alice Forgot? I read it that summer too and really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pretzel chips are so good! I am really excited for the Olympics too. Always feels like a special time. I love getting to see your Barcelona cami collection in full force during the summer. :)

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so relate to the back to school stress! I have a few more responsibilities this year and it'll be a hell of a challenge to manage it all. I worry about the things that will suffer as a result of me going back to being a workaholic :( I just playing with lashes too and brought a similar application brush and finally I always love your barcelona cami collection, I need to step mine up as well. I am only up to a mere 3 LOL.

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot get false lashes to work for me-I need to try that glue! Love the barcelona camis you've been rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that lash glue, personally one of my favorites. And I appreciate that it doesn't smell like stinky fish too. Haha!
    I need to find a good book to read, I love reading, but I've been so busy that I just haven't had the time to shop around for a good book.
    I'm also dreading back to school...I go back to work in 2 weeks and I'm so NOT looking forward to it!
    xo, Lily
    Beauty With Lily

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am looking forward to the Olympics too, I love that it's a great way to spend some family time together and cheer for your favorite athletes. My friend is in Brazil and will be attending a few of the events, I am so jealous.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your handbags, specially the red one!
    Nice blog,
    Have a wonderful day doll.
    Johanna ❤

    http://www.dreamscolorsandglitter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excited about the Olympics too - and love your daily looks as usual!!

    I can't wait for you to see what I'm wearing this week at the blog - come check it out and lemme know what you think!

    Happy Thursday!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I love the striped cami outfit. Just wondered what jacket would you put with this?

    Leanne xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a tough one to pair with jeans and a jacket for me! I wore it once with a jacket last year (first outfit in This Post) and I used lighter jeans and charcoal-greyish jacket. If I were going to wear a jacket I'd probably just repeat that formula again and switch to lighter jeans because I don't have another jacket color that would really work!

      Delete
  17. Love the summer vibe in your outfits, the pink top is just so stylish! And am looking forward to the olympics too, am so excited for the soccer games hahah! Xx

    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I freaking love pretzel chips. They are SO yummy!

    Xx
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute looks! And great reading list!
    Adi xx
    www.fancycorrectitude.com
    www.instagram.com/fancycorrectitude

    ReplyDelete
  20. A sisters reunion! So fun!! Hope you all have fun together. Send some selfies when you're together. And I love those pretzel crisps too- that's my fave flavor. Great minds...!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The chocolate version of those pretzel crisps are my kryptonite! I really need to start trying more with makeup. I've been doing the same sort of stuff for almost a decade now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!