6/7/16

Summer Outfit Staples

|
I am so ready for summer! Our weather is finally warming up and while I still have a few items on my wardrobe wishlist for summer, I will mostly be dusting off my four Summer Style Staples and putting them back into regular rotation.

1. Shorts
First of all,  I don't agree with any arbitrary rules that say you can't wear shorts past age 20/30/40/50, etc. I wear what I feel comfortable and confident wearing and that's that. My personal preference is about a 3-to-4 inch inseam, which often varies depending on how low the shorts sit on the hips. Aside from that, there are wear two main types of shorts I wear: jean shorts and Chino shorts. The Target jean shorts I'm wearing below are my favorite jean shorts purchase this season. (If you missed my review on fit and sizing of Target vs. Express jean shorts you can find it here.)
Jacket: Express | Cami: Express | Shorts: TargetNecklace: Kendra Scott | Ring: Nordstrom | Shoes: Steve Madden | Bag: Amazon

Shop the Look:


My other favorite shorts are the J. Crew 3" Chino shorts, which I posted about earlier this week (here). I've also owned a few pairs of the J. Crew Factory Chino shorts and I did a J. Crew vs. Factory comparison in this post. Personally, I don't plan to purchase any more of the Factory shorts unless they have a particular color I love that J. Crew doesn't carry. When I time my purchases with a good sale at J. Crew they are almost the same price as the Factory version, and the quality is worth that difference for me.

2. Barcelona Camis
This is only the third summer that Barcelona Camis have even existed, and it's the third one that I will be wearing them several days a week, dressed up and down and everything in between.
Cami: Express | Shorts: Target (Similar) | Necklace: Purple Peridot  (Similar) | Bag: Amazon (Pink Sold Out) | Sandals: Vince Camuto (Similar) | Bracelet: c/o Zinnia West

Shop the Look:


3. Gigi Sandals

I currently have the Sam Edelman Gigi sandals in four colors: Leopard, Silver, Fuchsia, and Glitter. They are just so easy to throw on in summer and so comfortable! They have a really nice padded foot bed to make them suitable for lots of walking. The Leopard pair was my first and is still my favorite because they go with so many outfits. If you can only get one pair of these, leopard gets my vote!
Tee: Target | Necklace: Express | Shorts: J Crew Factory | Sandals: Nordstrom | Hat: Target | Bracelets: Express (Similar) | Watch: Fossil

Shop the Look:


The Glitter pair (see them in Outfit #1 here) and the Fuchsia pair (shown below) are both currently marked down to $49.90 and are both fun options I'm loving this year.

4. Lightweight Layers

Regardless of the outdoor temperatures in the summer, it's guaranteed that grocery stores, restaurants, doctor's offices and all the other places I frequent will be cranking the A/C. I've learned to always have a light jacket or sweater of some kind for my outfit or I will be shivering indoors. The jacket I'm wearing in my first outfit in this post is the perfect weight for summer, as is this cardigan (which is unfortunately sold out).
Sweater: LOFT (Similar) | Cami: Express | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Jeans: Express | Sandals: Nordstrom | Ring: Kendra Scott (Similar) | Bag: Amazon

Shop the Look:


And finally, here's a front view look at the four outfits in this post from the front:

If you look carefully at each outfit in this post, you'll see I'm wearing at least two of my Summer Staples in each one. Odds are good that at some point this summer I'll add one or two more items to each category since I know they'll get put to good use!


Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne | Katie | Megan | Lindsey | Amanda |

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. The shade of blue of that cami is so pretty and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your pics, camis, shorts and gigis are a must for me during the summer. I rarely do light layers because that's almost unnecessary here.


    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pinned the barcelona cami photo and GiGi sandals in this post. I need to check both out! I still wear shorts... I have heard J. Crew shorts are amazing and I tried out a pair at the outlet last summer and almost got them (although, I had already spent a fortune and sadly put them back). I didn't know the regular J. Crew/factory shorts were different, either... good to know.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Gina! I need to check out those Target shorts! I just love them! Ugh I have such a horrible time at J.crew! There cloths don't fit me well at all and it's a shame because their shorts are so cute!

    Hope you have a great day!

    Xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 thumbs up for shorts and those Gigi sandals!!

    I am styling my shorts for Summer this week at the blog - come check it out!

    Have a lovely Tuesday!

    Rebecca
    http://www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi love these outfits!! Do you prefer to wear a strapless bra with the camis??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the summer, yes, I do. (If it's fall/winter and I know I won't be taking off my outer layer then I wear a regular bra for comfort!) I have more specific talk about this in This Post and This One. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  7. J. Crew 3" chinos are my favorite too! I love the Gigi sandals! I've had them on my wish list for ages!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shorts and camis are definitely must haves in your closet this summer! It can really be hot and sweaty and these pieces will definitely save you! :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA // BORACAY Travel Diary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that blue cami you have on, gorgeous colour.

    My summer staples are lightweight cotton/linen dresses and skirts (midi or maxi length), brown or nude wedges and v-neck cotton tanks. We have very harsh winters here and super balmy summers. We experience all seasons to their fullest....I do a 180deg closet switch for each season :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your staples! I would love to add some more nude wedges to my closet, so if you have some current favorites let me know! I have purchased and returned several pairs this season because they just didn't fit right or weren't the right shade of "nude" for me.

      Delete
  10. that barcelona cami was made for you, you should get royalties for those. haha.
    interesting about the j crew factory vs normal shorts. i will keep that in mind when i need some new shorts. i am weary of coloured shorts because i don't know how to match colours haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I like the royalties idea! LOL.

      Delete
  11. How did we get by without Barcelona camis?! I've already worn mine a few times in the last two weeks. I like how easy they are to layer! I'm bringing a couple to Hawaii, along with my target shorts :) You look fabulous in them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your casual outfits as always especially the first outfit with a pop of yellow. Hope you're having a great week, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Psssh, AS IF I would listen if someone told me I couldn't wear shorts! You know I live in those bad boys come summer! :)

    Love the styling here- you can't go wrong with a Barcelona cami. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picks for summer staples, Gina! I love my Gigi sandals, and I always carry around a jacket/sweater because I freeze in just about any indoor place in the summer.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy how thorough you are with all your posts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Perfect looks for summer!
    XO
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I looked as good as you did in the Barcelona Cami, shorts and high heels, I'd wear them every day. I really do like how you make a tank top and shorts outfit look so stylish and polished. When I wear shorts, I usually just throw on flip flops and avoid cameras. You look great, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love the chino shorts from j.crew! Also lightweight layers are must, especially when working in an office!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pics for summer staples! Love the Sam Edelman sandals and the easy attire.
    xo, Lee
    www.wineandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!