5/17/16

Accessorizing Tips, Tricks and Favorites

|
I've had 1.5 requests for a post about accessories, which means maybe 1.5 more of you would be interested in that topic but haven't said as much. So for the three of you interested in my best accessorizing tips and tricks, here we go!

Top Two Ways to Simplify the Accessorizing Process:

1. Go for the Gold....or Silver
Top: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Express | Wristlet: Express (Similar) | Bracelet: Stella & Dot | Shoes: Zara (Option)

Shop the Look:



Back before I had a blog, I only wore silver jewelry. I think I committed to silver around the time I got married (1999) and chose a silver-toned metal for my wedding band. I decided I liked silver jewelry best, therefore all of my shoes, bags, and belts needed to have silver hardware as well so that everything would go together. Obviously now (as you can see from the photo above) I am back to wearing gold jewelry again. A few years ago I decided to start incorporating gold again because there are some colors I like to wear that just look best with gold, and with my regular self-tanning habits (see this post) I think gold often looks better against my faux-tanned skin. So now I wear whichever metal suits my mood or outfit best that day. That said, there are plenty of times I miss the simplicity of having everything I own work with everything else. So even though I've moved past the "all one metal" stage of accessorizing, I do think it's a great way to start if you're just getting into accessorizing and building your collection, and probably the best way to go if you're into the capsule wardrobe or minimal wardrobe thing. It definitely makes shopping and outfit styling decisions easier. After you've built up your one-metal collection, then you can decide if you want to expand to another option or if simplicity is working just fine for you.

2. Mix Metals
A great way to get a lot of mileage out of your jewelry collection is to pick up a few mixed metal pieces. One of my favorite tips (and posts) about mixing metals came from JoLynne Shane: "Wear one piece of jewelry that combines silver and gold, and then you're free to wear silver and gold in the rest of your accessories." Little does JoLynne know that I've been testing out this theory since she posted it two year ago and I have to say it works like a charm for me every time. And it's so simple!

For Example: In the outfit below, I have silver zipper detail on my jacket, a silver ring, and gold hardware on my handbag, but the mixed metal necklace brings everything together and makes it work.
Jacket: Express | Tank: Old Navy | Jeans: Vigoss | Necklace: Express | Shoes: Sole Society | Bag: Danielle Nicole | Ring: c/o Kendra Scott (Most items in this outfit are not longer available. I only linked to exact, currently available options.)

If I were to go back to the time when I was adding gold to my all-silver jewelry collection and re-do things, I would start by adding a handful of mixed metal pieces (necklace, watch, bracelet specifically) to make all of it work together better and get more use out of everything in the process. The only problem for me with mixed metals now is that the options are pretty limited anywhere I shop when compared to gold or silver jewelry. But when I do find a mixed metal piece I like I scoop it up quickly because they end up being twice as useful as anything else.

My Everyday Accessorizing Strategies:

1. Fill in the Blank
Because most of my clothes are solids (more about my personal style here), I like to use jewelry to break up the monotony. In a way, I think of my jewelry as my "print." For necklaces specifically I like them to either or fill in the largest area of bare skin (see photo just above) or break up the largest area of solid space in my clothing (below):

Sweater: Express (Similar) | Dress: Express | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Shoes: Steve Madden | Bag: Aldo (Similar) | Ring: Target 

Shop the Look:



Long Necklaces are my favorite because they cover a lot of area so it makes me feel like I added a lot to the outfit in just one step.  The Kendra Scott Rayne necklace (above in "Magenta") is a particular favorite that I have in a few colors. I hate that they are so pricey but I haven't found a more affordable option that I like quite as much. If I wear them a lot (too much?) it's because I'm trying to get my money's worth out of them!

2. Watches and Bracelets and Rings, Oh My!
Tee: Target | Jeans: Express | Watch: Fossil (Current) | Short Necklace: Forever 21 | Long Necklace: Express | Sandals: Vince Camuto (Similar) | Bag: Target | Bracelet: Sage K

Shop the Look:


Watches: I've been a watch person since I was five years old and got a Cinderella watch for my birthday. I loved that watch and wore it every day, and ever since then I feel lost without one. I went through a (brief) phase recently of trying to only use my phone to check the time and I just didn't like it, so I just stick to my comfort zone. The only exception is for "date night" type outfits when I think my watches don't go with the type of bracelets I like to wear for date night. If I could only have one watch I would pick my mixed metal watch because it's the most versatile. But since I treat my watch as a bracelet/accessory, I like having a variety. (By the way, you can see how I store my watches, necklaces, bracelets etc. in this post.)

Bracelets: Since I'm committed to my watches, for my everyday (casual) outfits, I generally grab just one small bracelet (like the one above) or an easy stretchy bracelet set (see this post for examples of current favorites). For a date night/night out look, I have a few thicker, chunkier bracelet options (like the one in the first outfit of this post) that work on their own.

Rings: Aside from my wedding ring, I only started wearing rings as accessories in the last two years. ring person. They tend to get in the way, especially during the diaper/pre-school years with little kids. But now that I'm out of that stage, I don't mind wearing one ring on my index finger when I leave the house. (I don't like wearing any rings around the house!)

Earrings: Although it's rare for my blog and Instagram photos to show my earrings, I do wear them every day. I don't worry too much about rules for earrings like, "If your necklace is big, your earrings must be small." I like medium-sized earrings almost always, but I don't like heavy earrings. So if I a pair I like that fit those criteria, I wear them! If my other jewelry of the day is gold, my earrings will be the same. If I'm mixing metals then I just grab anything I'm in the mood to wear.

Front View of Outfits in this Post:

* * *
Handbags are one of my other favorite accessories, but since there's enough to talk about in that category for an entire post, I have that topic scheduled for June. In the meantime, you can see a few of my favorites and my method for quickly changing bags day-to-day in this post.  Thanks for reading today and I'll see you back here on Friday for an outfit recap and some Friday Favorites!



Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne | Katie | Megan | Lindsey | Amanda |

CONVERSATION

19 comments:

  1. Great post!! My wedding ring is platinum and sometimes I wish it was gold, because I wear all gold jewelry now... but, I may get a gold anniversary band at some point to mix the metals more. I have mixed metals before and I agree it really works well. You have a great collection of jewelry, especially love your necklaces!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I went through a period where I only wore gold jewelry and then as I got older I only wore silver. Now I like to mix the metals too and you're right, it's hard to find a piece that incorporates both. You have the best jewelry collection!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm always so worried if the hardware on my purse doesn't match with the jewelry or even the bottoms or zippers of what I have on. I love how you did a mix metal necklace to tie it all together! Really have never thought about that! On the search for a new necklace lol!

    Hope you are doing well girl!

    Xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a silver-only girl- then switched to gold in college. Now I'm all about both! Mixing metals is fun + stretches the use of all your pieces. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome advice Gina! I really love the mixed metal theory the most, because although I think mixing metals is totally fine, I often resist and go for one over the other. I'm picky about it! Not sure why, but sometimes even if my shoes or bag have a metal on them, I feel like the rest of my outfit has to match. Dated right? I think it's my slight OCD! Anyway, I love these simple tricks! I need t wear more jewelry throughout the week. My weekday wardrobe is so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Gina! My Cinderella watch and Swatch watch - are two of my big watches when I was younger. I always think you have the best accessorized looks! See your style encouraged me to get another KS necklace.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tips, and love your outfits too. Such a nice balance between the clothes and the accessories! Xx

    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you accessorize so well! I love seeing what you put together, and these tips are very practical and helpful. I'm a watch girl too!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post especially since I've always admired your ability to accessorize. I tend to favor gold jewelry because I like the way it goes with my hair highlights, but I'm conscious of the fact that my wedding ring and a favorite necklace (birthday gift from my husband) are platinum and silver. Sometimes, mixing medals works and sometimes it doesn't. Wearing the one statement piece with both medals is a great idea. I too am a watch person and may need to get a new one with both gold and silver to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are an accessory expert and reminded me that I need to get a mix metal watch, I've wanted one forever!

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these tips! You are giving me ideas to make better use of my accessories. I tend to forget about them and walk out the house with no jewelry on.
    Red Reticule

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how accessories can really make an outfit as you showed here. I recently got an apple watch and I love the options with bands and having so much fun with it.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many great pieces! I pretty much only accessorize with necklaces...I used to have tons of earrings, rings and bracelets but I NEVER wore them! Now I just have tons of necklaces :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are all so pretty! I am so in love with the color of that first cami!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a good point about if you have a mixed metal necklace that everything else will coordinate! I also use colorful necklaces to break up a more neutral outfit.

    Erica
    www.pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am definitely interested so you've got at least 4 or 5 ;)
    i loved reading all of these, the mixed metal thing is genius. bracelets annoy me because i type all day, and i'm not a watch person (i just got a fitbit, which is clearly super cute and fashionable and goes with everything like a sore thumb). i do wish i wore more necklaces and earrings though (although sometimes my ears freak out and hate earrings, it's weird) so maybe i should make it a goal to wear them more often. i wear a lot of button up blouses for work though (that are kind of loose) and i find it hard to accessorise with those. the solid colours and tops/tees are super easy to pair a necklace with. maybe i will start with earrings lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the part about mixing metals! If you have trouble finding that one piece of jewelry that has mixed metals, get a charm bracelet and add charms in different metals! That is my mixed metal piece that I wear every single day. It has charms from my children and other sentimental and meaningful charms in various metals on a silver bracelet. I never take it off. But it makes accessorizing super easy because then I can choose whichever metal is best with the outfit and mix and match all day! Great post!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I usually wear pretty basic and plain pieces, so I love having jewelry to spice up my outfit! I love wearing rings as they can make such a statement and they seem more minimal and less noticeable than necklaces or earrings (which I like). I am like you too, I don't like wearing rings around the hose! They can just get in the way of cooking, cleaning, etc... So I just slip them on when I am about to head out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!