2/2/16

Express Jeans and Other Things

|
Back in the day (like...two years ago), Express jeans had names like Zelda, Stella, and Mia. Now they've dropped the names and use more self-explanatory terms like "Mid-Rise" or "High Waisted." But they've also added some new types of jeans like "Performance Stretch" and "Supersoft" that I just recently got around to trying. I wanted to share the differences I found, and I threw in a couple of other random items here just because I can!


Jean Leggings:
Most of my jeans from Express are the standard jean leggings. They currently don't carry many lower rise options at all anymore, so I've had to adjust to Mid-Rise. The "Stella" was  my favorite with a moderate low rise, and I would be happy if they brought it back! But there are several mid-rise options I've come to love:

Same Jeans on the Models:

Fit Notes: 
(Of course, my pics are mirror selfies so all the distressing is on the opposites side!): I am wearing the same size in all three pairs of these jeans, and I use this as my reference point for sizing in any other bottoms at Express or other brands. So if I say I went one size up, it's one size up from my Express jean leggings size.

I think the most confusing pair of these is my most recent purchase, the Faded Distressed jeans. The color name is "Dark," but they are obviously lighter than the other two pairs of jeans that also have "Dark" in the name. The reviews were equally split and confusing about everything from sizing, color, and distressing, and I wasn't going to order them until I saw them on @kristikay__ on Instagram, and loved them on her. They are darker in person than they appear online, and the distressing on the right knee is also different.

Distressing on the knee:
On the model/stock photo, the distressing looks like three distinct slashes. Even on my photo when I'm standing straight it kind of looks that way too. But as you can see above, the distressing is almost like a Figure 8 when it's laid flat. I don't have a problem with that, but I can understand why some reviewers were not happy about that difference.

Different Fit and/or Feel:

Same Jeans on the Models:

SUPERSOFT: 
As the name implies, these are very soft and so comfortable and for that reason I love wearing them. Part of what makes them comfortable is that the fabric is a bit thinner than jean leggings, almost like leggings. For me, that translates to only wanting to wear them with tops that cover about 80% of my backside. (Since they're 80% leggings perhaps?) I also feel like these fit a bit tighter in the waist than jean leggings, so I decided to size up. However, after wearing them a couple of times I'm not sure I should have done that because I feel like they stretch out a bit more with wear during the day than my jean leggings do! If I get another pair in this size I think I'll size down again and see how they wear. There wasn't a huge difference between the two sizes, and I felt like they put all of the extra room for the bigger size in the waistband, and not much extra space in the thighs and booty area.

PERFORMANCE STRETCH:
I ended up returning these jeans but snapped the try-on photo for comparison purposes here. I found the name of these to be ironic because these are the least stretchy of all the Express jeans I have! They are a thicker fabric with less give and were less comfortable to me than jean leggings or Supersoft jeans. I am wearing my normal size in the photo above, but it wasn't comfortable and I would definitely size up if I were to purchase another pair.  A salesperson told me they were designed to really hold their shape throughout the day, and I can see how that might be the case since the fabric is stiffer than the Supersoft Jeans or jean leggings. For this particular pair, I also felt the distressing on the stock photo wasn't a very good representation of how they looked in person. They they feel similar to my second favorite brand of jeans (Vigoss), but since I prefer the distressing and washes on current options of Vigoss jeans I'd probably go with those for this type of fit.

HIGH WAISTED DISTRESSED:
I really didn't want high-waisted jeans and I don't intend to wear them in a way that shows how high-waisted they are. But since the Mid-rise Black Distressed pair (here) has more distressing than I wanted and I couldn't find what I wanted at a reasonable price elsewhere, I decided to give these a chance. I'm not used to such a high waistband, and it's a snug band at that so sizing up made them a little more comfortable, and I haven't had the same issue of stretching out as I've had with the Supersoft jeans. I would change the high waistband if I could, but aside from that I'm still really happy with these jeans.

LOFT Sweater:
LOFT Cardigan in sizes XXS / XS / Small

I don't have a lot of pieces from LOFT, but since I've posted about this cardigan a couple of times (here and here) I wanted to share the sizing info and how it compares to Express. I first tried the sweater in store (far right) and the smallest size they had was a Small. Normally I would wear an XS in a similar cardigans at Express, but my blogger friends advised me that LOFT can run big. So I ordered both the XXS and XS to see which one worked best. I kept the XXS. The XXS was just a tad more fitted in the body with slightly shorter sleeves than the XS, but as you can see from the pics, the Small was quite a bit longer and roomier everywhere than the XS.

Show & Tell:
On a completely different note, I'm joining Show & Tell Tuesday with Momfessionals again and the question of the week is Show and Tell how to win your heart. Frankly, this had me stumped! My heart's been "won" for so long already I don't remember how it got there. I asked my husband how he would answer this and after assuring him that it wasn't a trick question, he came up with a couple of things I agreed with:

1. Going out to nice places. Even though I don't like places with an overly formal atmosphere, I do love an excuse to wear some of my favorite-yet-infrequently used wardrobe pieces...especially shoes!
Shoes: One and Two are DV Saffia, various sizes Here  and Here / Three: Zara (Option

These DV lace-up sandals are my favorite for going out because for the heel height, they're really quite comfortable for walking multiple blocks and/or standing for awhile if needed. And between the black and "Leopard" (not really an accurate leopard print but that's the product name so I'm using it), they go with almost all of my dressy outfits. They've long since sold out at department stores but I did find a few sizes and options at Amazon Here and Here. 

My Zara heels (sold out years ago, sorry) are probably my all-time favorite and most complimented shoes, but they are also the most uncomfortable pair I own, so I only wear them when I know I won't be walking or standing much!

2. Time off. This was not as much of an issue when dating as it is with kids and family life, but anytime he takes on a task that's typically my responsibility (e.g. chaufferring kids around), that wins big points with me. Now I'm thinking maybe I can teach him how to take selfies or write a blog post here and there for some of my blogging days off!


Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
 Lindsey /  Amanda / JoLynne



CONVERSATION

28 comments:

  1. Express jeans are one of my fave. They fit amazing and they're super comfortable! All these outfits are ahhhhh-mazing.
    I'm obsessed with your skirt! You should definitely wear skirts more often. The look perfect on you. (=^_^=)
    Xox, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raysa! Every now and then I find a skirt I really love. I'm not all that opposed to them, but finding the right fit has been challenging for me.

      Delete
  2. That's one thing I stopped getting at Express, you know how I feel about my gap jeans and they jeans opened a rag&bone outlet store by me and I just got a pair of the softest jeans ever. But I do think that express jeans works well for you, they look just like they do on the model. Oh and remember the lace romper I got, I have to return it is really unimpressive in person :/ I love hearing you talk about your husband, so sweet.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer about the romper! One of these days I will have to try those Gap jeans you love because they really were so soft in person! And based on some of my recent trial and error with sizing at Express I can see how the cut of their jeans just might not work for some people at all.

      Delete
  3. That's funny that the jeans you don't like are the performance, because that's the only pair I own! I have a dark and a light pair and I like how tight and fitted they are, but I can see why you would think they're uncomfortable. Now I'll have to try other types because I just thought that was how Express jeans are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Definitely try some other styles. Maybe Performance Stretch will still be your favorite if you're already used to them. They weren't bad, and non-distressed pair would probably be good for casual office wear, but most days I prefer a little more stretch/comfort.

      Delete
  4. I have the Express flare jeans and they are so comfortable. I'd like to add the jean leggings or the supersoft! Love all of your going out looks! Your shoes are amazing!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I want to get a pair of flares but they always seem to be sold out in my size in the color I want. And thank you!

      Delete
  5. Express jeans really are the best-so comfortable! And I love that Loft sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they're definitely my favorite jeans! The LOFT sweater is great and does go on 40% off sale allllll the time.

      Delete
  6. Yes, when the husband does house-related things like cook or the dishes - SWOOOON. I'm bummed that they don't have as many low rise choices. I do have a pair of medium rise jeans, and they're ok, but they're definitely not as good as our beloved Stellas. I still want that pair you and Kristi have, so thanks for the reminder!!!!
    Carylee | More Pieces of Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't understand why they did away with Stella/low rise. They weren't like 90s low! They can't be that out of style/unpopular. Oh well. I'm getting used to the new stuff.

      Delete
  7. haha i love your husband's answers and that you had to assure him it wasn't a trick question. men ;)
    i LOVE the look of the supersoft ones but i don't think the link works. not complaining just advising lol. i found them via google. also, every time i see your dark distressed ones, i swoon a little. they are gorgeous! it's been a looooooooong time since i bought express jeans.. my last pair were 'stella jean leggings' i think, and they were a size 2. lets just say they don't fit anymore ;) i really need some new blue jeans though, and my distressed ones are far too distressed on account of the fact that i stick my foot through the hole every time i put them on. plus the distressing is right over my knee, which makes it worse. anyway. rambling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for letting me know! For some reason I had decided to highlight and underline the word Supersoft but didn't bother to put a link to it at all. Should be fixed now and I'm sure it's just a tad more convenient to have a direct link rather than making everyone google! I'd say go in store and try a few sizes and styles to see what you like then wait for a really good sale. :) I love Stellas too and wish they would bring them back!!

      Delete
  8. You seriously look good in skinny jeans. I do like the high waist jeggings at Express, but I think I mentioned one time that the holes of the distressed jeggings were so high up and not at my knee like in the picture. It drove me crazy. They look great on you. And yes, I've learned that Loft's sizing is very vanity. Sigh. I agree with you on the time off. The nicest thing he can do for me is to take both kids to the grocery store on a Saturday morning. I may just do laundry or dust or vacuum, but it's still kind of nice. Now that is a momfessional, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kinda miss the fun names they used to have for their jeans, but I am absolutely loving their distressed jean leggings. Definitely my go-to <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made me come to love express jeans! I didn't used to, mainly because the stitching was distinctive for awhile and the designs were a bit too much for my taste. I am so glad that they redesigned them a couple years ago, and I love their classic dark Jean leggings. I wear them more often now than loft! I still like loft jeans, but their sizing for me is so inconsistent! Also, sometimes the zippers come apart as in two cases I had. I want to try the super soft jeans now! Those look and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every single pair is super cute!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not tried Express jeans and they seem to fit you ver well. Do the jeans hold the shape well? I stopped buying jeans from Old Navy & Target because they seem to stretch by lunch time.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ones that didn't hold their shape as well for me were the Supersoft jeans. And it was nothing terrible, but definitely more stretching than my favorite jean leggings!

      Delete
  13. Okay I found this post super helpful! I actually tried on Express jeans a couple months ago, and had they been on sale I probably would have bought them because I loved the fit. I like a mid to high-rise (probably because I am taller), and the jegging seemed to be just the right stretch. Next time I buy my own pair, I think I am venturing into Express. Also, loved reading about what wins your heart. I too love an excuse to get dressed up. My work clothes are what I wear 99% of the time, so for me it's fun to break out jeans and heels.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the reviews! The only pair of Express jeans I have are Stellas :-) Clearly I haven't bought jeans from there in a long time I liked them because they were a nice transition between straight jeans and skinny jeans. They were marketed as Skinny but the ankle opening is more like a straight jean. From the looks of it they've definitely tapered their ankle openings in the more recent styles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE Express jeans! Seriously, the comfiest. I have been reading your blog for a while and owe like half my Exoress purchases to you and I have yet to be disappointed. Thanks for the round up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great reviews! I find this very helpful as a starting point. I find that I have to try them on in stores or order a couple sizes since I also take different sizes in different styles. I am wearing my dark mid-rise jeggings right now. They are really comfy. And I love it when my husband takes on one of my tasks especially unloading the dishwasher. I don't know why I hate it so much - maybe because I have to do it at least once a day?? Except when he puts something away in the wrong spot and I can't find it. I still can't find my mandolin slicer but that's another story LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review of the Express jeans, I don't own too may since most of their bottoms tend to run big on me. I do have a pair of the soft ones and you are right they feel like heaven! Love your going out to nice places outfits, especially the cami!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your blog! I've gotten my butt in gear since the beginning of the year and lost about 10 pounds, at which time I discovered my favorite Stella jeans from Express have been discontinued. Do you know of any good replacement low-rise bootcut jeans? I'm dying over here. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurel! Thanks for your comment! The only other brand of jeans I wear is Vigoss and they do have some low-rise options. (e.g. the Tomboy "Thompson." Even though it says mid-rise it's a 8 1/2" rise, which is the same as low-rise in other stores. I don't like them quite as much as my Stellas, but I do like them. I know AE jeans are popular with a lot of people and they also carry low rise (8.5") jeans so that might be worth a shot too. I don't understand at all why they discontinued Stellas since they were so popular but I've just forced myself to get used to mid-rise. :/

      Delete
  19. Trying to find the Best Dating Site? Create an account to find your perfect date.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!