1/27/16

What's Up Wednesday 1/27/16

|
I enjoyed linking up with What's Up Wednesday last fall (in September and October) and sharing a few things going on behind the blog, so I'm back at it this month.

I answered most of the questions from the prompt below, so read on to see what's been going on behind the scenes this January.

What we're eating this week:
A few months ago my neighbor told me about these Taylor Farms salad bags:
...and they have been my lunch staple ever since.  I usually purchase mine at Target but I've seen these at our regular grocery stores as well. I love salads for lunch but I really hate washing and chopping up a bunch of lettuce and vegetables, so these have been a perfect, convenient solution.  I always add some shredded chicken (also from Target) and sometimes I use the dressing and toppings that come with the package, other times I just add my own favorites. I do get nervous about bagged salads since there seem to be regular occurrences of listeria outbreaks with them, but for now I guess I'll live on the edge until I find a better lunch solution.

What I'm looking forward to next month:
My 17th Wedding Anniversary is next month and although we don't celebrate in spectacular fashion with extravagant gifts or trips or whatever, it's still something that makes me proud and happy to commemorate.  I don't post a lot about my husband here just so he can maintain his privacy, but he is definitely my number one supporter behind the scenes of the blog and I doubt I would have even started blogging without his encouragement.

What I'm loving:
My family and friends who have been my rock in coping with grief.  The most painful, profound emotional experience of my life (shared here) has given me a deeper love and stronger bond than ever with my siblings, their spouses, and my best friend. I love them beyond what I can express here and feel fortunate to have some amazing people in my life.

What we've been up to:
I recently finished my 2015 annual family photo album on Shutterfly. It's so much work to stay on top of it but so worth it  have the memories captured in one place! Now I just need my editor-in-chief (a.k.a. my husband) to proofread it so we can order it and get it in our hands to enjoy.

What I'm working on:
Being Positive. You know those people who are always happy and pleasant to be around? I really admire that and am working on improving that outlook in myself. Don't get me wrong, I think a little venting here and there can be healthy and I'm not trying to be overly perky or change myself completely. But I want to keep the complaining to a minimum and not let it be a hobby or way of life. Positive people are just more pleasant to be around, so be the change you want to see in the world and all that, right?



What I'm excited about:
Back to Basics Blogging. For me, 2015 was the year of Instagram. It was new-to-me (I joined in late 2014) and I wanted to learn it, know it, and grow it. What I found through that process is that blogging is my first love and my favorite, and (at least for now) I want my blog to be my primary space. So don't be surprised if you see me a little less on Insta, a little more here, and with a few more posts of this back-to-basics blogging nature.

What I'm watching/reading:
Right now, Snapchat is like my Reality TV. I like to unwind at night catching up on everyone's channels. I also want to watch the final season of American Idol once they get to the Hollywood rounds, but I haven't started yet. And am I the only person who is not watching The Bachelor? Watching Snapchat on Monday nights makes me think I'm the only one not watching the Bachelor!

What I'm wearing:
I've been staying true to my Aquarius Style signature formula this month with lots of t-shirts, jeans and moto jackets:
ONE:
Jacket: Maurice's (I'm wearing the same size as I do in Express jackets)  / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Nordstrom / Booties: Express (Similar)

TWO:
Jacket: Express (Same Jacket, very similar color) / Necklace: c/o Kendra Scott / Tee: Old Navy / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society (Same Style, very similar color)

THREE:
Jacket: Express / Tee: Old Navy / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Nordstrom Hair Extensions: c/o Irresistible Me (14" Ponytail in Platinum Blonde, full review in this post)

FOUR:
Jacket: Express / Tee: Express (My color sold out, Exact Color with Long Sleeves) / Jeans: Express (Similar) / Booties: Target (Similar) / Necklace: Target (Similar)

And of course, you can keep up with my daily outfits on Instagram, check the front-view singles on my Outfit Singles Page, or just check my weekly recaps like my most recent versions here and here. I'd say "What I'm Wearing" is the most well-documented category in this series of questions!

What else is new:
My bathrobe. Those of you who follow me on Snapchat (ontheDailyX) know that my bathrobe was in desperate need of replacement, and I finally got one on Amazon that I'm liking so far:

It works great for what I like, which is a towel-like robe to simultaneously help me dry off and keep me somewhat warm straight out of the shower. I really didn't want to spend a lot on this, and there are some very expensive bathrobes out there that might be more plush, but for $35 I'm very content.

Bonus Question: What's your favorite Valentine's Day treat?
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries for sure.

My neighbor made me some homemade chocolate dipped strawberries for my birthday last week and I was so excited. (Yep, the same neighbor that told me about the salad bags - she's pretty awesome.) Luckily Valentine's Day makes them easy to find in store so I can have a few more to get my fix this winter without having to make them myself!




Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
Lindsey / Mel / Shay /  Amanda / JoLynne / ErikaAndrea and Narci / Anne and Gold & Bloom


CONVERSATION

21 comments:

  1. I love this post, and looking forward to you posting more. I need a robe too and I really loved the one Tracy posted on snap. I need to remember to do WUW once a month. Such a fun read.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum that strawberry looks great! I agree that snapchat is the new reality show. I follow a few accounts that do really detailed stories so it's almost like an actual show. I also love watching people's rants on snap..sometimes I just want to smack them and say FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!! (not you btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post! I have American Idol taped but we haven't all been home at the same time to watch it as a family yet! I'm going to have to check out those salads at Target. I love that the prep work is done for you! Chocolate dipped strawberry's are definitely the best!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those salads are the best! I constantly buy those, and happy early Anniversary to you and your hubby! Looking forward to seeing more of your blog posts this year!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to figure out snapchat....and my adult children refuse to teach me. :) Snapchat and periscope are on my radar for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy early wedding Anniversary to you and your hubby! Love reading a little more about you. I definitely love your positive thoughts, there is enough negativity in this world. Love spreading happiness even though it sounds phony thru the internet sometimes lol. Love those chocolate dipped strawberries too, still healthy and delicious!

    -Tatiana
    We Shop in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  7. These posts are so much fun. It's like a little glimpse into someone else's life. I need to get those salads. I don't know how many times I throw out lettuce because I'm too lazy to chop and prepare. I have good intentions. And now I have to go and get me some chocolate strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing everything. The good the sad and the ugly. I also love express and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always feel a little uncertain when I do this type of post that's outside my normal, so it's nice to hear back from people who read and enjoyed it. And I'm so glad you found my blog and share a love for Express!

      Delete
  9. Wow best wishes on your 17th - that's so wonderful to celebrate!

    Rebecca
    http://www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. SEVENTEENTH?! Happy anniversary!! did you get married when you were like 2 years old? Just kidding. Seriously, happy anniversary and I'm happy to hear your husband is awesome and encouraging. KC and I don't do gifts or anything crazy either, but we don't mind.
    i've never had a bath robe, but i really want one, so thanks for linking :) i think i might buy that for myself for my birthday.
    those salads sound so awesome! but then you scared me with the listeria.
    i definitely DO NOT watch the bachelor lol. so we can start a club.
    the positive thing.. good on you girl! kudos to you, good luck! i am still quite a negative person compared to some people and sometimes the catty complainer in me can get out of hand, but compared to what i used to be like, the difference is insane. and it makes me so happy, because the more i'd complain, the crappier i felt. i didn't do anything specific really, just really tried (over a long period of time) to stop myself from complaining, acknowledge the good things, compliment people and tell them i appreciate them (that's something i had an issue with before) and most importantly, stop being mean to myself. i was so mean to myself that it made me mean in general, so it was like the roof of the problem. anyway. there i go again making it about me.
    i'm so happy to hear your friends & family have been there for you during your grief, and i am sure they feel the same. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those salads and get one when we're grilling something. I eat bagged lettuce too. I figure I'm not in the high risk category and sometimes you have to roll the dice to get some vegetables. Seventeen years is impressive, especially considering the fact that you got married when you were 12. Keep wearing the moto jackets. I love that look on you and one day I'm going to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy early anniversary! Wow, 17 years is amazing! You guys must have been infants when you met ;)

    I love that you're trying to be more positive. I struggle with that too, mostly because of anxiety so it's hard to be present and not worrying. I just try to remember what I teach the kids I work with, and that helps. And good for you for blogging basics! I think that's a great idea. As much as I love Instagram, sometimes I'm tempted to do away with it because it just leads to comparison and bad thoughts about my own life. Blogging is so much more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post Gina and learning more about you. I am watching AI as I am catching up on reading blogs.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post, Gina. Congrats on 17 years (my husband and I will celebrate 16 this year - where does the time go?). I am also not watching the bachelor - so you are not the only one. And, salad is my go-to lunch each day - and I am risking it since there recently was a listeria outbreak in the production facility in my state and brand of lettuce. Lastly, I think of you and the great loss you suffered with your nephews and at such a young age.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds LINK UP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Happy Anniversary!! And those salads sound delish, Target is the best isn't it! I totally agree with you on our blogs being our first love, and Instagram playing a close second. Can't wait to see what you have in store for this space <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary Gina! Loved this post , learning more about yourself and your outfits. You always look so fabulous and beautiful.
    Happy Friday!
    Xx, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! I don't watch the bachelor either. Never have and I just don't really watch TV other than baseball, Charmed while I'm working out, and now The Mindy Project before bed. Well rounded huh. Excited to see what you have planned this year in your blog space!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course these posts are my favorite kind but I get that I'm not necessarily your prime target audience! ☺️
    We are actually watching The Bachelor and I can't wait for you to check in with AI. I love the judges so much (one in particular) so I don't miss an episode.

    You continue to be a huge support to me as well. Glad we don't have to do these crappy things alone. And we celebrate our 20th this year. I actually want to do something (vacation) somewhere. I'm ready to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Of course you are my target audience! If someone wants to spend their time reading what I put here I am very happy to have them. Bonus points for being an all around cool person and having any kind of interest in fashion. :) The new judges definitely renewed my interest in Idol. I just set my DVR so I'll start watching soon. Can't wait to hear what you decide to do for your 20th. <3

      Delete
  19. Love that you're doing back to basics blogging - I look forward to reading the posts! Happy wedding anniversary too! I envy you keeping on top of the photo books....I think I have 4 years backlog -oops!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!