1/22/16

Outfits on the Daily 1/22/16

|
Time for another weekly wrap-up today, and this week was a pretty special one. Thursday was my birthday and I couldn't have been more spoiled by my friends and family. Rachelle and Caryl surprised me with very sweet and flattering (and frighteningly accurate!) posts, and they teamed up with Noelle behind the scenes to treat me to some beautiful Stella & Dot jewelry that you might have seen on Snapchat or at the very least you'll be seeing in upcoming outfits. On top of that my family treated me like a queen, my friends sent the nicest birthday messages, and I couldn't feel more loved or grateful to have such quality, caring people in my life! Birthday or not, I got dressed this every day this week and that's mostly what this blog is about, so here's a look at what I wore:

Outfit Recap:

Jacket: Maurice's ($35! I'm wearing the same size as I do in Express jackets)  / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Nordstrom (Also $35!) (A few more sizes here) / Booties: Express (Similar) / Arrow Ring: Kendra Scott (black sold out)

Sweater: Express / Tank: Target (Maternity for length) / Necklace: Kendra Scott / Leggings: Express / Booties: Macy's (Similar) / Bag: Amazon / Nails: Chanel "Taboo"

Jacket: Exact Express Jacket in Mink / Necklace: c/o Kendra Scott / Tee: Old Navy / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society (Exact Style, very similar color) / Nails: Chanel "Taboo" / Bag: Amazon

Sweater: Express (Similar) / Tank: Saks off 5th (Similar) / Jeans: Express / Wedges: Sole Society (Exact Style, very similar color) / Necklaces (shortest to longest): Kendra Scott (c/o), Forever 21, Target (Similar) / Bag: Amazon / Bracelet: Sage K & Co (Exact sold out)

Front View:
Individual Front View Pics available Here

Fitness Recap:
Here's a look at the workouts I've done this week, based around Cathe's STS Meso 3 weight training.

Saturday: Kickboxing + Martial Arts (Local Studio)
Sunday: Dance Class (Local Studio)
Monday: Legs: STS Meso 3 Week 1
Tuesday: Abs: STS Total Body + Cardio Amy Bento In the Ring  (Combined NRG Premix)
Wednesday: Shoulders, Bis, Tris: STS Meso 3 Week 1
Thursday: Power Yoga for Happiness 2 (Twister Sister Premix)
Friday: Chest and Back: STS Meso 3 Week 1

Notes and Modifications:
Meso 3 is the last 4-week cycle of the STS Series and I have a love-hate relationship with it. The leg workouts are all Plyo Legs. I love them because they are short, intense and effective. I hate them because they're killer! The upper body workouts are too long for me (65-67 minutes) and they are exactly the same for all four weeks, you just change your weights each week. So as usual I cut a few sets from each round of exercises to reduce the time. However, because the structure of the upper body workouts is so simple, I don't even use the DVD anymore. I just use my spreadsheet printout and do the weights while I watch the news. These are the only Cathe workouts I do without actually watching the DVD, and I kind of love getting to watch TV while I workout.

Favorite Fitness Reads:
I've mentioned in the past that I really enjoy getting Cathe's Weekly Newsletter and it's pretty much the only way I stay somewhat informed on the latest fitness and nutrition news. (If you want to sign-up, you can go to the bottom of her homepage and enter your email where it says, "Subscribe to our email newsletter to receive updates.")

I generally just scan the newsletter and click through the headlines that grab my interest. That's lead me to a few good articles lately so I thought I'd pass them along here as well:

Eating Healthy and Still Not Losing Weight? Here's Why...

Top 2016 Fitness Trends

Dieticians Rank the Healthiest Diets of 2016


Fitness Wear Favorites
I've had two people ask me about what I wear when I workout, so I'll take those as an indication that maybe a few people are interested in this topic. As you can see from my routine above, 71.4% of my workouts are done in the privacy of my own home. Those outfits are not something I would even wear to answer my front door, so I'm not going to post them here. (Think: short-shorts and a sports bra or fitted tank. Acceptable for working out but hopefully you can understand why I'd rather not post that.) So for the remaining 28.6% of workouts, here's what I wear:

Pretty basic, eh? I just like to blend in at class so I don't really wear any stand-out bright colors or prints. I do have my reasons for liking some of these items in particular (and many of them do have more "fun" options if that's your preference) so I'll do a little breakdown of the pieces.

ONE:
Tank: Gap (Color Options of Same Tank Here) / Sports Bra: Target (Exact Version, Current Colors) / Cropped Leggings: Target (Showing Knee Length, I also have these in Capri)
(Target Sports Bra and Leggings Currently 25% off with Code C9WOMENS25)

Notes: Rachelle recommended these Gap Breathe tanks and they are now my new favorite workout tank tops. The fabric is soft, breathable, and fitted but not tight. I also like that they're a slightly longer length than average and don't bunch up when I'm wearing them. I'm wearing the "True Black" color above, and I'd say that's a rather inaccurate color name. "Charcoal" or "Heathered Black" would be more accurate.

TWO:
Jacket: Express (Current/Similar) / Cropped Leggings: Target / Sneakers: Nike Internationalist

Notes: Same outfit as One, just adding a jacket for to/from the studio or outdoor activities like family walks/hikes. For my non-home workouts I'm either barefoot or in dance shoes, but occasionally I need sneakers for outdoors so these come in handy.

THREE:
Tank: Express (Current/Similar) / Cropped Leggings: Express (Current/Similar)Sports Bra: Target (Current)

Notes: To be honest, I prefer my Target/Champion leggings over these from Express. I mainly wanted an alternative to black that was still dark/neutral so I chose these. But they have a mid-rise waist that I don't find as comfortable for working out. They're also "Compression" leggings, and that compression feeling is not my favorite either. They're fine, but I'd rate them three stars out of five. As far as the top, I've had several of these Relaxed Fit EXP Core tanks and I loved them at first, but they all seemed to stretch out/wear out within just a few months. This black one has held up the best, but I will probably just stick with the Gap tanks going forward...unless those end up doing the same thing over time!
* * *

Thanks for stopping by today, and I hope you have a great weekend! I'll be back on Tuesday with my next Astrology Style post. This time it's Aquarius season, and naturally I take particular interest in this one since it's my own sign. I'm going to challenge myself to find inspiration from someone other than my usual Jennifer Aniston/Lauren Conrad favorites, so off to Pinterest I go!


Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
ErikaAndrea and Narci /JoLynne / MK / Katie / Megan / Lindsey

CONVERSATION

25 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Gina! So glad you had a good one! all of these looks are so fabulous, especially the one with the leopard boots and leather leggings! Have a great weekend!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog, and I love your outfits!! I will continue reading. :) Have a great Friday!
    -Lindsay @ sevenlayercharlotte.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting Lindsay! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh yay for workout ootd photos! I need to look into those Gap tanks and I might have to copy you and start taking more of those selfies. I just did a quick purge last night of workout pants and I have definitely changed my style since my previous workout stage 5-6 years ago. Back then, everything was bootcut so I ditched all those leggings for my current fitted legging collection. Zella and Old Navy are my current faves but I do have a couple pairs of fitted shorts from Target that I love, so maybe I need to try their leggings! Whew. That's a lot of talk about clothes to sweat in! But now that I'm back to 5+ days a week (#humblebrag) I suppose it's merited!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! And I'm so glad your birthday went so well! That makes me happy. I think everyone should feel that special on their birthday!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Old Navy t-shirts in your posts. For reference, what size do you purchase??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing an XS in both of the Old Navy t-shirts in these outfits. For what it's worth, I also own a size Small in the same tee in black/white/grey. Sometimes I want a more oversized look, especially if I'm wearing it on its own. So if you were to look back at some of my pics from last summer and see the same tee it might be a Small. (Usually if I tuck it in the front, it's a Small. If it's untucked all around, XS.) Hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. So glad you had a nice birthday and were celebrated all around!! You deserve it! I'm glad you mentioned it eventually, and I realized so I could say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I read Rachelle's post this morning and need to check out Carylee's. As usual, I am loving your outfits. I have that same y-necklace from Kendra Scott, and I struggle to style it. I always like your inspiration. Fun to see your workout gear. I am usually the same - no one wants to see it. ;)

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you had a great birthday :) and you deserve to be spoiled. This week I started incorporating weights along with Kayla's workout and it's awesome. I'm really tempted to get more of the STS workouts. I have the total body and love it. Happy you love the gap tank, I do wear the couple that I have a whole lot. Eventually I should just get a few more get rid of those I don't even wear. I'm having such a hard time getting into yoga, I have Cathe's dvd but I think I may want to try something else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday!! I also love Gap activewear!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, happy birthday!! It sounds like you had an awesome day filled with friends and family, which you deserve. I'm loving all of your jacket looks. One day, I'm going to try one on and try to look as good as you. That's a great idea to watch the news while doing the workouts. Over an hour is just so long. It's one of the things I do while walking on the treadmill and just seeing the headlines keeps it interesting. Thanks for showing your workout outfits. I've been realizing that when I workout in the privacy of my home, I'm wearing the same thing (I wash it, I swear). But I need to change that up a bit now that I'm wanting to film my little workout segments. I have cute stuff that I save for the yoga studio, so I just now need to wear those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! I love your fitness outfits, and amen to the inappropriate workout gear! When I'm doing yoga at home I'm the same with spandex booty shorts and a sports bra. I won't even wear it when Dan's around and I'm working out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!! All of these looks are beautiful!!

    Adi xx
    www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's exactly what I wear to work out too! I'm all about black and grey, but I do have a couple tanks in bright colors. I like to blend in at the gym. Today at home, I wore yoga pants and a target tee. I'm just not really interested in buying a ton of work out clothes, or paying much! I can't get over how many people buy lulu lemon! Cute, but 90 dollars for leggings? I don't think so! Anyway, I'll see if I can try the express leggings in store. I do like compression leggings...very slimming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! I love those Gap Breathe tanks too. They can almost pass as non-workout tanks too, depending on how you wear them. I wear the white one under cardigans and sweaters a lot. :) You may recall, I tried the Express workout leggings a few years ago. Like you, I'm just not a fan of the compression feeling. I will check out those ones from Target!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristi!! It's always great to hear from you! (My original friend and supporter!) The idea of using the white breathe tank in regular outfits is genius and I have got to try that! The length and scoop neck would be perfect! I don't have the white one but I'm adding it to my list! And I do remember that we both had the first launch of EXP Core leggings! I'm not sure if those were labeled compression leggings or not, but I still have my first pair (the style I bought is starting to look dated so I don't wear them much) and they are definitely more comfortable to me than the newer ones. Plus I prefer the lower rise waistband on those. I don't know if the Target ones are anything amazing compared to higher-end leggings, but for the price there's probably not much better!

      Delete
  14. I love all of these looks. You have the best jackets. I definitely need a few more. And happy belated birthday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you had a great birthday! I love those Gap tanks too! Looking forward to your Astrology series next week! My daughter is an Aquarius!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Again Gina! Hope you has an amazing time. Loving all your looks as always!
    Xox, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooh i can't wait to see who you use for Aquarius. the only celebrity i can think of is christina ricci (same birthday as me) and jesse spencer, but he's a boy. lol.
    happy birthday again! i'm glad you were spoiled and had a lovely day. you deserve it!
    i'll definitely be checking out those gap tanks and the target capris, i need some new capris. i have these longer style ones from tj maxx (reflex or something) and they are great but sometimes a bit too long and they annoy me during certain workouts. i wear super short shorts and a sports bra when i work out at home too, i would NEVER wear it out or even run to the mail box lol. sometimes i even stay in my pjs. no need to look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all these looks! You have THE best jackets!

    Christie
    The Closet by Christie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated birthday my fellow Aquarius!! I'm glad you had such a great day and I hope the celebration continued through the weekend, Gina! Those leopard boots are amazing btw. You deserve all the best!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! very cute!!
    http://islandchic77.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving all of your outfits! My fav is the one with the pink jacket, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy belated birthday ! Just found you and love the way you dedicate quite some time to gym and fitness ! Yay for you ! Greetings from Italy

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion & beauty blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!