12/8/15

December Outfit Dilmemas

|
Every December seems to come with a couple of extra outside-my-comfort-zone occasions that can be equal parts fun and stressful when it comes to getting dressed. Excuse to shop for new outfit = fun! Deadline and certain dress code for new outfit = not as fun. In the past week I got through my two big outfit hurdles: family pictures and a last-minute party invite. Today I'm sharing my outfit planning process and results for each of them.

Holiday Party
Last week my husband and I got invited to a holiday party at a golf club. The invitation didn't specify any kind of dress code and I've spent zero days of my life at golf clubs so I really had no idea what to expect. The friend who invited us said he was wearing suit so I was guessing more dressy than casual, but I didn't want to be too formal because I figured if they wanted that type of dress code they would specify as much on the invitation. Based on my Pinterest-browsing experience I had an outfit in mind that seemed like it would work for the event regardless of whether most people were more dressy or more casual.

Here's the outfit I shared on Instagram that I originally planned to wear at the party:
Blazer: Express / Cami: Express / Skirt: Express / Multi-Chain Necklace: Express / Long Necklace: Express (Similar) / Bag: Express / Shoes: DV "Saffia" (Similar) / Ring: Kendra Scott


I based it on outfits like these that I've seen on Pinterest:

At the last minute I ended up switching my cami to black instead of white because it seemed slightly more "evening." Then I ended up taking off the multi-chain necklace because I had on big earrings so it just seemed like too much jewelry up top. You can scroll to the end of the post for the front-view of both versions of my holiday outfit.

Update: I should have included this in my post in the first place, but for what it's worth I felt comfortable and appropriate in my outfit. Other female attendees were wearing anything from a blouse and pants with heels or a festive sweater with dark denim. I shared some pictures from the event on Snapchat and one of the comments I got in reply was, "Are you at a retirement home?" So I would say the age demographic was a decade (or three) older than myself and they were not too critical of what anyone was wearing at all. They all just wanted to have a nice dinner and festive evening.

Family Pictures:

I shared my final outfit for family pictures on Instagram, but in the actual planning process my own outfit was the final piece of the picture puzzle.
Sweater: ExpressCami: ExpressNecklace: Nordstrom "Purple Jade" / Jeans: Express / Bag: AmazonShoes: Express (Similar) /  Nails: Deborah Lippmann "Bitches Brew"

Before I picked any outfits for our pictures, I started browsing "Family Pictures" on Pinterest and Google Images to get some ideas. This site was one of my favorite finds in the process because it's organized by color and has a lot of ideas in one place. But I realized I couldn't just pick a color and go with it for my family because my kids really didn't have any picture-worthy clothes. Their style is strictly athleisure, and even though I wasn't aiming for a very dressy family picture, I also didn't want them wearing sweatpants! So I decided to just take them shopping to get something they would be willing to wear for the pictures and build around that. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money since they may only wear these shirts once. I dragged them into Old Navy and the first child to choose a shirt that I approved became the one we all dressed to match. Fun! (No...)

My kids just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible, so one grabbed a shirt nearest to the entrance and luckily it looked like an easy, neutral starting point:
Shirt and Pants: Old Navy

Next, we found something coordinated but not too matching that Boy #2 could tolerate. Yeah!
Boy's Pullover: Old Navy / Jeans: Target

I think we were out of there in less than 10 minutes total. And luckily both my husband and I already have pieces in our closet that work with the black/white/grey/denim color scheme the boys had going, so I pulled these pieces out of my husband's closet and didn't hear any objections on picture day:
Shirt and Pants: Banana Republic

Last but not least I put my outfit together, and you already saw my final result above, but here's an idea of how we all look together:


And finally here's the front-view of each of the outfits from this post. If you'd like to view or Pin these individually you can visit this page.
Family Picture outfit / Holiday Party planned outfit / Holiday Party actual outfit



Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
 Lindsey / Denise /  Amanda / Tara / ErikaAndrea and Narci / JoLynne / Bri

CONVERSATION

24 comments:

  1. Sequins all the time for holidays !! Or even a sequin sweater will do

    xoxo - Style.. A Pastiche

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great outfit! I actually like the planned outfit more, the white looks good against the black blazer.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these outfits! The skirt you wore to the holiday party is gorgeous! Perfect outfit coordinating for your family photos! '

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. So in love with the sequin skirt and the style inspo you showed us - Happy Holidays!

    Rebecca
    http://www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We took our family photos this past weekend and I start with my son's outfit too. We do have to buy him a new shirt for photos since he outgrows his clothes pretty quickly. Next year, I need to check out that site for some color inspirations.



    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love both of these outfits. i'd love a fun sparkly skirt for holiday parties, i feel like it would be versatile. i also really like your neutral family photo outfits, fun but not too matchy matchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to try a sequin mini but they always look so short on the models. Yours looks like a decent length though. We have a party coming up with weekend with a bunch of people I don't know (soccer league coaches and staff). I'm not even sure if it is a "holiday" party. I ordered some stuff from Express before the big sale and it all fit weird. Now all of the sizes I need are sold out or only available in stores (the olive green sequined tee is gorgeous but runs small and not at my local store). Of course I have a few options in my closet but new is always better :-). And good for you getting the family pictures done. We haven't done that for about 5 years and we definitely are due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you on the not-too-short mini, and that's exactly why I liked this one. It did ride up a bit and in retrospect I might have tried a size up just to see how that fit. And I also agree about EVERYTHING being sold out at Express thanks to Black Friday sales! OMG. I did buy my skirt in store because the invite was somewhat short notice so I didn't have time to order online, but I guess that's lucky since it wasn't even available online.

      Delete
  8. Seriously impressed you did the shopping for pictures in 10 minutes haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that website about the family photos. I have to admit we havne't done family photos because it just seems like a lot of planning and organization. I love the simple color scheme you have with your family. One of these days I'm going to get myself a sequined skirt. Express had a longer one last year that I was this close to getting. You looked gorgeous. On another note, you asked about Poshmark this week. The biggest drawback to poshmark is the 20% commission they take. There's a new app in town. Mercari which right now is not taking any commission. It's not as user friendly to buy, but I've just made my first sale. I'll let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow up on Poshmark, Megan! 20% is STEEP!! At that rate I might as well just eBay. Wow! I will look into Mercari instead!

      Delete
  10. Loved your party outfit so much! That mini looks perfect on you. I think we have similar holiday style :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the necklace in look number one. The multiple chains give it a layered look & make it seem as though it's more than one necklace. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all great outfit ideas! I love the family photos look. I would wear that all the time. XO, Ellese

    Rock.Paper.Glam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Old Navy for kids clothing. I buy things for my niece and nephew there all the time. What you picked for your family photos looks great! I hope you'll share the final result. :) You sure put together a good outfit for a last minute party! It's always nice to have one fancy skirt to pull out this time of year. I like both camis but agree the black feels a little more evening.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that the black cami is more evening whereas the white one is more daytime! Did you end up feeling appropriately dressed for the party after all that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did! I should go edit my post to add that in, but outfits at the party were ALL over the map from "festive" holiday sweaters to just a nice dress and heels. I also had people comment on my Snaps on the party asking if I was at a retirement home! LOL! So that would give you an idea of the age demographic at the event, and they really weren't picky about what anyone wore as long as you looked nice.

      Delete
  15. I'm all about sequins this time of year, loving your outfit for the golf club party! That skirt is fabulous <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful skirt! You styled it so perfect. I love all these outfits!
    I just adore your style Gina.
    Xo, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you wore to the holiday party! Definitely a great choice with that sequin skirt! So much fun!

    Molly | www.stylemissmolly.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely look.
    www.thestylegalaxy.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many cute looks! I love really bright colors like red and green! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your holiday party outfit turned out great - and I like the black cami. I wish I could pull off the skirt as well as you. Also, in the arctic where I live, I typically have to wear tights in the winter. The trade-off for seasons.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!