11/6/15

Outfits + Fitness Recap 11/6/15

|
Welcome back (or welcome for the first time!) to my weekly recap of recent outfits, recent workouts, and one or two bonus items if you have time for a little extra today.

Outfit Recap:

Sweater: Express (This Year's Version) / Tank: Target (Maternity for extra length with leggings) / Necklace: Kendra Scott "Emerald Cat's Eye"/ Leggings: Express / Booties: Forever 21 / Bag: Express / Ring: Kendra Scott

The following outfit was inspired by this look Rachelle wore:
Cami: Express / Sweater: Express / Short Necklace: Kendra Scott / Long Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Target (Similar) / Bag: Express


Sweater: Express / Cami: Express / Necklace: Kendra Scott "Purple Onyx"/ Jeans: Express / Bag: Amazon / Booties: Express / Nails: Essie "Bahama Mama"

Top: Express / Jeans: Nordstrom / Sandals: NordstromShort Necklace: Kendra Scott / Long Necklace: Forever 21 (Similar) / Bag: Amazon / Ring: ExpressBracelets: LOFT + LOFT / Nails: Sinful Colors "Black on Black" + "Frenzy" layered on top/ Toes: Essie "Bahama Mama"

Front View:

SECRET INFORMATION FOR MY FAVORITE READERS ONLY:  I've been working on a solution behind-the-scenes for those who want to Pin single versions of my front-view outfits rather than a top-down or a 4x collage. For now, you can head to this secret page for outfit singles. I'll try to keep it updated with any outfits I post on the blog and possibly a few extras from Instagram that don't make it here. At some point I need to figure out how to organize them better and probably make it a less secret page available via the navigation bar, but I'm taking baby steps here so I hope you'll bear with me! (And if you made it this far in my post, thank you! Please consider yourself one of my favorite readers worthy of this classified information.)

Workout Recap:
Here's an overview of the workouts I did this week, with Cathe's Gym Style Series as the focus of my weight training:

Saturday: Cathe Cardio Fusion, Step Premix (Amazon)
Sunday: Dance Class, Local Studio (one hour)
Monday: Cathe Gym Style Legs (Amazon)
Tuesday: Cathe Low Impact HiiT Workout One (Amazon) + Cathe Muscle Max: Abs Chapter (Amazon)
Wednesday: Cathe Gym Style Back, Shoulders, Biceps (Amazon)
Thursday: Eoin Finn Pursuit of Happy Hips "All Downhill" Premix (Amazon)
Friday: Cathe Gym Style Chest & Triceps (Amazon)

Last week I had a question from Megan about whether or not I do Cathe's STS Series as written. The short answer is that I do it about 75% as written. Rather than going into detail about that series right now, I'll explain my modifications each week next time I go through the series again real-time. (I will be starting it up again within the next few weeks.) As an additional note since it's relevant this week, if you are not sure whether you want to invest in the complete STS Series, the Gym Style Series I did this week (full set here ) is very similar in terms of the style of workouts and difficulty of the STS series. If you try the Gym Style Series and like it, you will probably like (most of) the STS series.

Fitness Equipment Overview:
Megan also asked me for some specifics about the exact equipment I took some time this week to document what I own and use for my home workouts.

Dumbbells:
I have weights ranging from 3-20 lbs. My dumbbells and weight rack were all purchased at Target. They no longer carry the same weight rack but Amazon has a very similar one now.

Multi-Function Step + Bench:
Back in the day when I first started getting into home workouts (ten years ago), The Firm workouts were very popular and some of the first that I tried. I bought their Transfirmer Set (yes, I'm serious) and even though I don't do the workouts any more, I still use this step almost every day. (They were great for getting back in shape after both pregnancies but eventually I needed something more challenging)  It comes apart to work as a six or eight-inch step for step workouts, plus I can use it as a flat bench or set it on an incline for weights work. I can also set the green segment inside the blue segment for storage so it doesn't take up as much space. Unfortunately I can't find it in stock online anywhere, but you could try eBay or Craigslist. If I ever need to replace it I will probably get the same type of step that Cathe uses in her workouts, e.g. this from Amazon.

Stability Ball and Yoga Mat:
I think my stability ball is about ten years old now and was originally purchased at TJ Maxx. I have to replace my yoga mat about once a year because it starts to shed, so this one was a recent purchase at Target.

Miscellaneous Equipment:
Gliding Discs: Cathe (Similar)/ Ankle Weights (2.5 lbs. each): Target (Similar) / Lifting Gloves: Old, (Similar) / Firewalker Loops: Cathe (Similar) / Spri Resistance Tubing: Amazon / Resistance Bands: Cathe

Except for the lifting gloves (which I always use when I lift weights), I bought most of the pieces above because I had purchased a workout that used them and it seemed like my modifications weren't cutting it. These aren't as essential for home workouts as a step and dumbbells, but they're nice to have eventually depending on which workouts you purchase.

What's Missing:
A lot of home workouts (including many of Cathe's that I own) use a barbell and plates. I've never wanted to purchase one just because they seem cumbersome to store and move. So I don't own one and I've always managed to modify my workouts when they call for a barbell. It's easy to substitute bicep curls with dumbbells instead of a barbell. Yes, they do work the muscles at a slightly different angle and I'm sure if I had it I would use it, but I just don't want to bother and I'm still happy with the results I've had just from dumbbells.

* * *
I hope all of this answers question for those of you that had them! Always feel free to leave a comment or send me an email if you have follow-up questions and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!


Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
ErikaAndrea and Narci /JoLynne/  Katie / Megan / Lindsey / Amanda / Tara

CONVERSATION

26 comments:

  1. loving all your cute outfits and I love seeing you workout stuff, now I feel less crazy for having all the weights and stuff lol.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday Gina! I loved getting a look at your "home gym". Right now, since I'm in an apartment I only have one set of dumbbells (8 lb), a few yoga mats, TONS of foam rollers for running, and a stability ball (sadly deflated because there's no room for it!). I have a gym membership for now because I don't have any motivation to workout on my own besides running..I need the group atmosphere to stop myself from quitting! When I get a house I think I'm going to move to your style of gym and maybe even get a bench and barbells.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely love you for answering all of my questions. Thank you and this has helped me a lot. That's a great suggestions about trying the Gym series first. STS just looks like such an investment (money and time wise). But I'm interested in heavier weight training and have always loved Cathe. I have the original firm fanny lifter and I can't get rid of it because it is so useful for other things including all-purpose step stool. You have me beat on the dumbbell collection by a landslide and it's something I'm starting to look into so thanks for showing me what you have. I've been price comparing them, even at Play it Again sports and on-line classifieds and they get expensive when you start getting the heavier ones. Right now my heaviest ones are 8s, and I'd like to get 12s, 15s, 20s, and even 25s. I also have gotten away without the barbell. Not only is it more equipment to buy and store, but it always seems annoying when Cathe has to stop to change the plates. This was a great post to read and thank you so much for taking the time to show everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Rachelle make such a good case for that feather Barcelona! So tempting! And it's nice to see you in booties again! Hooray for almost being on the same climate page again! :)
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wished I had the discipline to workout at home. I love working out in a group environment and getting to chat with people. But somedays when I have no time to go Crossfit, it would be nice to do a workout at home. Thank you for sharing your home gym.
    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i googled Transfirmer Set and it said transformers. hahahahaa.
    i am the same with barbell / dumbbells. i will use a barbell at the gym, but dumbbells at home. i really like that rack you have, i am totally going to get the one from amazon you linked to. i always wanted more weights but i didn't want to have a bunch sitting around, why didn't i think of getting a rack? d'oh.
    yayyy *insert party hat streamer thingys emoji* i'm totally a favourite reader. woo!
    we have the same yoga mat!
    that first outfit is probably one of my faves ever of yours. i love when you wear things i can easily recreate and i love that cardigan! of course i can always recreate things, but my favourite ones are always ones i can copy exactly. if that even makes sense.
    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing your home gym equipment! I think my Firm Transformer steps went to Goodwill when we moved. I was trying to get rid of things I never used but now reading your post, I wish I had kept them. I checked out your secret page and love seeing the outfit singles! Have a great weekend!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving all your outfits. You know i love your style, is just perfect!!! I need to start working out. 😁Happy Friday beautiful!
    Xox, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE all your cardigans! I am in need of some new ones, and have been blog searching for the perfect ones to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your outfits are inspiring - and I especially love the Kendra Scott necklace. I have been debating getting another one in a different color - because I wear my black one all the time. Have a great weekend, Gina.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for sweater weather...finally ;-) Love seeing all of your outfits and seriously I am actually cold today and I love it! Your workout gear is impressive and like everyone else, thanks for sharing what you use, it's actually great motivation and ideas too!

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love your style! Happy Friday :)
    -Adi xxo
    www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that feather print cami is beautiful! that's my favourite outfit of yours from all the ones you shared :)

    It's heating up as spring starts to end here and once again I'm looking at my selection of tanks and camis thinking I really don't have enough....ha! I'm on the hunt for more...

    Glad that you're having such fun with your home workouts and little 'gym' material setup!

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your secret page! Your front view outfits are very pinable. Always so stylish. Love seeing your gym equipment.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey girl, happy Saturday! So I caved recently and got an Express Credit Card..OMG I'm so in trouble LOL. I love the olive portofino and the wine colored Express bag, that color really a fall favorite! I really need to think about how I want to present my fitness routine which varies a lot with my trainer. I like what you do here with your fitness routine overview at the end of the week. Thanks for the inspo and encouragement over on my blog! :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all your outfits! I have the same little gym setup in my home... always nice to get a little workout =)

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Gina,
    I really liked reading about your home workouts in this post. You have inspired me to give it a go! Usually I am so lazy when is comes to exercise but I like the idea of doing it at home. I really want one of those step thingys too!
    It also just struck me that you are amazing at taking selfies. Do you use a selfie stick? The consistency that you have is incredible. I am terrible at them, very jealous of your skills!
    Talia
    DrShopCook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talia! I'm glad to hear you are inspired to try working out at home! I don't think I would be as consistent with my workouts if not for the convenience of doing it at home. As far as outfit selfies, no, I do not use a selfie stick. It really just takes a lot of practice! You can read a bunch of my tips and tricks for it in This Post.

      Delete
  18. I love the look with the feather cami! It's such a cute print :) Also both those grey cardigans look so cozy!

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep telling myself I really need to start lifting weights. We have an area in our basement that is set up with a rowing machine and my treadmill and there totally room for weights. I know it's really important to do this at my age. Maybe I'll ask for this for Christmas. And yay for getting to wear sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the recap on your outfit. Because of your post about your workout etc. I have now refocus on weight-lifting because I just prefer the result of weight vs. just cardio only.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great round up, I am loving all your looks.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your weights rack is really cool, and your fashion looks are very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your article and sharing your expertise, it's really appreciated.It helped me a lot for what i was searching for. Keep it up. For more details about Weight Lifting Gloves Visit: Weight Lifting Gloves for Women

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your outfits and fitness recap. They are just amazing.
    If anybody interested in home fitness trainer, you can check it out here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!