10/23/15

Outfits on the Daily 10/23/15

|
Another typical Friday post with my weekly outfit recap, workout recap, and some random chit chat! I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to write an intro for these posts anymore since I feel like I'm just stating the obvious! But thanks for reading this far and off we go...

Outfit Recap:
Express Military Jacket, Barcelona Cami, Jeans, Cognac Peep Toe Booties
Jacket: Express / Top: Express (Similar Print of same top) / Short Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Long Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express / Ring: Target / Bag: Aldo (Similar) / Shoes: Forever 21 (Similar)

Express Grey cardigan, Tile Blue Barcelona Cami, Kendra Scott Everly Necklace, Steve Madden Nonstp Booties, Dasein Satchel
Sweater: Express / Cami: Express "Tile Blue" / Necklace: Kendra Scott / Jeans: Express / Booties: Steve Madden / Ring: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Bag: Amazon / Nails: Chanel "Taboo" (gift from Rachelle)

Express Plaid Portofino Shirt, Distressed Jeans, Sole Society Jillian Pumps, Danielle Nicole Handbag, Kendra Scott Elisa Drusy pendant
Top: Express (Similar Print of same top) / Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society / Bag: Amazon / Bracelet: Stella & Dot / Ring: Target / Nails: Chanel "Vamp"

Express Moto Jacket, Crepe Hem Tee, Black Jeans, Taupe Booties, MyLux Handbag, Kendra Scott Coby Necklace
Jacket: Express / Top: Express / Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Bag: Amazon / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Express / Nails: Chanel "Taboo" (gift from Rachelle)


Front View:

Several of the outfits I shared on Instagram this week came from my Four Ways to Wear Taupe Booties post so make sure to check that out if you wanted details on something not shown here!


Fitness Recap:

Here's an outline of the workouts I did this week:

Saturday: Martial Arts class (local studio)
Sunday: Dance classes (local studio)
Monday: Pyramid Lower Body (Amazon)
Tuesday: Turbo Fire Fire 45 (Beachbody)
Wednesday: Pyramid Upper Body (minus the ab work section, will do on Friday) (Amazon)
Thursday: Power Yoga for Happiness 2 (Amazon): Twister Sister Premix
Friday: High Reps, Lower Body Premix (Amazon) + Pyramid Upper Body, Abs Chapter  (Amazon)

As I do these recaps each week, over time it will be clear that I have a pretty extensive home workout DVD library. Just keep in mind that I've been working out at home for over ten years now so the collection has had a long time to grow! Luckily workouts don't go out of style as quickly as clothes so even some of my oldest workouts are still in frequent use.


Back in Stock:

While I don't wear scarves myself anymore (the length of my hair doesn't really agree with them), it was all over Instagram that this Blanket Scarf from Express is back in stock again. It sold out quickly last fall, so if you were sad that you missed out on it last year, looks like you have a second chance!
Scarf: Express / Original Outfit: Deelightfully Wild

Snapchat: Pros & Cons

In my Snapchat Trends discussion in this postDaphnee commented that she was on the fence about Snapchat and asked me to share my Pros and Cons. Since I didn't do a very good job of keeping up with Snapchat and observing trends this week, now seems like a good week to do pros and cons instead!



PROS:

Food:
The people I follow share lots of great inspiration for clean eating, healthy meals on the go, and meal prep. (@pinksole_rach and @tracy_hensel are two of my favorites for this.)

Low Stress: 
For me, Snapchat is the least stressful social media. Your pictures don't get "likes" in a highly visible way and your follower list is invisible to others. So if no one follows you or likes what you post, no one knows or cares. Snapchat images are also much more casual. You have  to take the pictures with the app (no perfectly staged DSLR images allowed) and can only use a few in-app filters. So the quality expectations are much different than blogs or Instagram.

Voices! Movement! 
Videos are very popular on Snapchat (especially filmed MTV Diary Style), and people just come to life when you hear their voice and (in some cases) see them move. You can only record 10 seconds at a time, but lots of people will record multiple ten-second segments to make their point or share something.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! 
It is so interesting to me just to see the scenery where other people live. What their town looks like, their freeway, their schools, their Target, etc. It just gives a better feel of different parts of the country, especially places I've never been. And of course, some people I follow (@iamgalla for instance) travel to some truly incredible places and it's fun to feel like I'm tagging along!

CONS: 

Food: 
The people I follow share lots and lots of donuts, cookies, cakes, fried chicken, and other delicious-but-bad-for-you food. Beware of the cravings for stuff you didn't know you wanted to eat if join! (Sorry, I'm guilty of this!)

Voices! Movement! 
As much as I love video, the drawback for me is that I can't catch up on my Snapchat feed while I'm in the doctor's office waiting room or checkout line at the grocery store unless I want everyone in the vicinity to hear my friend talk about her latest purchase or road rage. So I kind of need to be in a quiet, semi-private place to catch up on Snapchat, and that means I just can't keep up sometimes. It can take quite a bit longer to catch up on your Snapchat feed than on your Insta-feed because those ten second videos can really add up!

Oh, the FOMO!
Just like every other social media, it's easy to feel like everyone is going on more vacations, eating better food, and living a more exciting life in general because of course, this is the highlight reel! I will say people share a lot more mundane, everyday stuff on Snapchat than I see on IG so it still feels more down-to-earth to me. But I'm still much more likely to share Snaps from Date Night than Laundry Day. I like my social media to be fun, and sharing the boring stuff just isn't that fun for me, even though it's 95% of my life and 0% of my Snapchat Story!

* * *

Thanks for taking the time to stop by today and I'll be back on Tuesday with next Astrology Style post. Scorpio season is upon us, so come on back to find out what style traits Scorpios have in common!

Shop the Post:




Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

24 comments:

  1. I'm completely with you on the snapchat pros and cons! Sometimes I get overwhelmed with trying to catch up and see all the stories before they disappear, and then there's so many other news stories that I can never remember to check. I do like how you can connect with a friend or with a celebrity (I follow a lot of youtubers so it's cool to see their everyday life). I really love your last outfit..you know black and white is my favorite combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really got into snapchat. I joined, and I see a lot of people linking to it on their Instagram accounts, but I just didn't find it very intuitive, and I never figured out how to follow people. Plus, anything with a video component bugs me b/c I like you point out - you have to have a quiet place to watch. I just can't get into it. Same for Periscope. Same reasons. BUT I do like the idea of a more casual place. I try to keep my Instagram pretty, so it would be nice to let it all hang out somewhere. But with Facebook and Instagram, I feel pretty maxed out on social media. It was fun to hear how you use snapchat. Maybe I should give it another try.

    Love the outfit roundup. You have such variety in your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I should say that the #1 negative of snapchat is that it's non-intuitive! It really took a lot of texting and communicating with other users to get the hang of it. To add people you have to know their username (or already have them in your phone contacts if you're sharing with real-life friends vs. just blog friends), so it's not at all like Instagram where you can just browse around among random people. But I do understand about being maxed out on social media! It's almost impossible to keep up with everything.

      Delete
  3. you did such a good job at showing pros and cons, I actually like the boring stuff because every other social media account is so overdone. But that's just me haha! Oh and pinning your looks, love them! And they do really well on my pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your pros and cons for sure! I do also love that you can follow a ton of people, but still be selective when you want to see them. So, it's not like Instagram where your feed gets unmanageable with the more people you follow, or you realize you shouldn't have followed someone because you can't relate to their content, but feel bad to unfollow them!! You can simply view people as your mood dictates. I also love it for traveling! I found that going to NYC, it was awesome to take snippets of my trip then download the whole snap for the day, and now I'll forever have that little video montage of my trip. I definitely agree that it is low stress. There's so many times I just feel the "need" to share on social media, but since I only post on Instagram at certain times of the day, Snapchat allows me to share any time any place without having to worry about when people are the most engaged or feeling like the content is wasted if I don't post during a peak time. It's just nice disposable social media. And it makes everyone seem more real since I can hear their voice! SO! This short soliloquy is really a thank you note for forcing me to join! THANKS <3
    Carylee | More Pieces of Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! I'm glad I forced you to join, too! You're a natural! And yes, I do love the fact that when I know I only have a couple of minutes I can just pick a couple of people to check in with on Snapchat vs. having to scroll my entire feed on Insta and possibly missing posts from some of my good friends/family.

      Delete
  5. That pink plaid blanket scarf is gorgeous! I'm so impressed that you work out 7 days a week and I love the variety of workouts! Looking forward to your Scorpio post next week!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting your workouts (I'm the one who requested it). It's just very motivating to me to see your workouts because you have such a cute figure. :)

    I did Cathe's Turbobarre this morning - whew! What a leg burner. Do you do any barre workouts?

    Great outfits! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Margaret! I'm so glad the workouts are motivating and helpful. :) I don't mind posting at all if it's something interesting/worthwhile to people. It's pretty easy to add it in here.

      In terms of barre workouts, one of my Cathe workouts (Lower Body Blast I think) has a good barre section and I do that periodically. But barre workouts aren't a big part of my program. I used to own The Bar Method Body 2-Pack but got bored of it and gave it away. However I just added Cathe's Turbobarre to my Amazon cart thanks to you! So many great reviews on it and it sounds like it will have the intensity my other barre DVDs were lacking. (Leave it to Cathe!) I'm excited to try it out!

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear your wisdom on snapchat! I always enjoy it when I remember to check. ;) It's just hard to keep up with everything, but I do like the lower pressure/no comparison part a lot. I need to try on Express jeans. Even though I have a closet full, I feel like I hate them all! LOL

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pros and cons of SC are dead on! I couldn't agree more. It's honestly my favorite app/form of social media now though. I love being real on there, allowing people who don't know me but follow my blog, to hear my voice and see me in my everyday real life! It may not always be exciting (lots of car time for work) but it's so much more real than Instagram or even the outfits I post on my blog. I love hearing what my favorite bloggers sound like! It's so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a way I can Pin individual pics from your blog? I'd love to pin the full frontal version of your green jacket outfit above but can't figure out how to do that without pinning all 4 images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just uploaded that one individually for you. :) You can go to This Pin and re-pin it if you'd like. I don't usually like posting the individual front-view pics because they're so narrow on their own. But if it's more helpful to you all that way maybe I will try formatting things a bit differently in the near future.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed reading what you thought about Snapchat, Gina. I installed the app, but don't believe I have done anything else yet. Need to have my sons show me how to use it, because it is absolutely not intuitive. At least not for me. I always enjoy popping over to see what your IG looks are like from the front. :)

    Jennie - A Pocketful of Polka Dots

    Come join me for the Fabulous Friday Link-Up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have decided I do not need a Snapchat becuase I waste so much time on my other social channels already haha! And normally I am scrolling while at work so there is no way I could listen at work! (I've also heard several people say that Snapchat has turned them off of some of their favorite bloggers, which makes me feel like I'm not missing much ha!)
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love every single look!! Your style is simple amazing.
    Happy Weekend doll!
    Xox, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the cons you've listed are the reason I don't have snapchat - especially the one about having to be in a quiet private place to watch them all. That and I just can't figure the app out, haha! My sister has tried to help me but I'm just terrible with it, I much prefer instagram :)

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I signed up for snapchat but hardly use it. Love your list!

    Sarah
    Life is Beautiful

    ReplyDelete

  15. I Love this outfit of yours and how you accessorized it. And sorry, I'm not on Snapchat.. Just too many profiles to handle off late :(

    Style.. A Pastiche - Acro Yoga

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a hard time keeping up with blogs and Instagram so I don't think I can do Snapchat too. I love those wine colored shoes! As always, your outfits are spot on perfect,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the grid cami with the olive jacket! The blanket scarf is amazing too, I'll be lucky if I get to wear one 1x this year LOL. I love that your Snapchat pros and cons are exactly the same. I'm definitely curious about the Snap but more so as an observer than a participant. My day to day is so repetitive and mundane, I want to strangle myself LOL. Thanks for taking the time out to post on it, your pros definitely have peaked my interest!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love love snapchat but yeah, i can't check it at work or whatever because i'm afraid it will be loud or someone will swear haha. when i first got it i didn't have that many people on it so i was posting super random stuff, now i have more people, namely blog people, and i'm like well maybe i shouldn't share that because will that judge me that my cat is on my table, or i look like crap? maybe i should just get over myself lol. i always clean the table before we eat there, and i know that, that's all that matters haha. i love a good blanket scarf, that one is so pretty! hope you had a good weekend and your injuries didn't prevent you from dancing today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the outfits, you look gorgeous in all of them! I feel exactly the same about snapchat, it's much less stressful as I don't have to worry about the quality or anything else!
    Have a great week!

    xo, Esther

    http://bubblesther.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your style!
    -Adi xxo
    www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!