5/6/15

Kids Choose It, Moms Wear It

|
On Monday we heard all about what not to wear as a mom according to my 8-year-old (find it here), but that leaves a lot of room for what kids think we should be wearing! What better way than to find out than to let them choose our outfits? I contacted two fun and fabulous Instagram moms who agreed to join me in letting our kids have free rein in our closets and pick out outfits for us to wear. Get ready for some thoroughly entertaining, kid-approved looks for Mother's Day!

Aimee:  @aimeeffischer
Aimee is a mom of four kids ages 2-20! She is always incredibly supportive and sweet on Instagram and I've loved getting to know her better and seeing all the great outfits she puts together. She had all of her kids collaborate to choose this look, and I have to say it turned out pretty cute!


Here's what Aimee had to say about the outfit selection process: "They had such a blast doing it! My twin 11 year old girls, Kaelan and Gabrielle picked out this dress (from Old Navy) because they love the color so much. Yellow is their favorite color. My 2 year old daughter Isabella picked out the necklace. She sees me wear it all the time. She calls it "my pretty blue" and my 20 year old son picked out the sandals and purse. He told me he picked the mini pouchette because all my other purses were just too big for me and the sandals because he thought it matched the bag and that's what moms are supposed to do. I'm just glad they didn't pick out anything crazy just for laughs!"

Janet: @janet.lowe

Janet is a busy mom of two and a step-mom of two more who works full-time but still manages to post her #ootd, perfect manicures and arm parties on Instagram. You might also remember her from my Spotlight Feature. Janet let her adorable, sassy, silly 4 year-old daughter pick out this look, and I bet I don't need to ask her favorite color!

It was too hard to choose one picture because of her daughter's hilarious facial expressions and photo-bombing toddler son, so here's a few extra shots to make you smile today. I hope you guys get as much of a laugh from them as I did! (And what a trendy 4 year-old rocking the red bucket bag!)


Gina: @ontheDailyX

So what does my kid who hates ripped jeans, anything pink, and cutoff shorts actually like?  He was torn between a blue or green Portofino but finally settled on blue. And he liked that these jeans had no rips but cool zippers. He dabbles in rock collecting, so I wasn't surprised that he chose this necklace. Then he had me try various bracelet configurations (one on each arm, switching the top and bottom options) before deciding he liked them stacked this way the best, and obviously the shoes had to match the bracelets!


Top: Express / Jeans: Express / Necklace: Local / Shoes: Marc Fisher "Camron" / Chevron Bracelet: Express  / Bead Bracelet: Express

Mother's Day Wishlists: 

I'm not the best at coming up with creative gift ideas, and my own mom usually gets the same thing for Mother's Day every year: flowers and a card. But for some extra gift-giving inspiration Aimee, Janet and I are sharing our favorite gifts to receive as moms ourselves!

Aimee:
I'd have to say jewelry is always a plus! If we're not talking store bought items, then my favorite things are cards and crafts handmade by my children. Another favorite is a date night with my oldest son. He takes me to a movie and springs for the snacks. I also love plants! Flowers are pretty but last for such a short time, so I'm more of a plant person.

Janet: 
I'm so sappy, but I LOVE gifts that have their hand prints on them. I love to see how small their hands used to be as they grow.

As for my wishlist, I have to agree that anything my kids make or write is my absolute favorite. I  had a tradition for several years of getting a Chanel nail polish for Mother's Day. I don't have any colors on my wishlist this year, but in the past I would ask for that because $30 is a lot for a nail polish but totally reasonable for a Mother's Day gift!



Linking up with:
Alison Lindsey
 Tara / Jill & Carly / Alice /  Dawn Lucy /
 ErikaAndrea and Narci / Fashion Friday/


CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. I remember I used to pick out my mom's outfit all the time and I still do when she's visiting. I have to say all the kids have great taste because you all look fabulous.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter picks out mine sometimes when I'm stumped. All of these kids picked some fabulous outfits!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with this post! I ll have to let my kids pick out an outfit and Instagram it this mother's day. I'm not sure that they would do the great job that these kids did.
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so fun to see what kids pick out for their moms! Your son did a great job and I love those pants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How FUN! You always come up with the best ideas for your blog posts. I love the outfit your son picked out for you, and his reasons too! Janet's outfit is hysterical, and Aimee's is actually pretty cute! Kids are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like your little guy did well! Love your look and those accessories are perfect! Such a fun post! My mom isn't hard to shop for because she's like me- when asked "do you have anything you want or have in mind for Mother's day?" - She always has an answer! Makes my life super simple!
    Such a fun post! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so fun! I love seeing your Monday post followed up by this one. Approved! $30 nail polish is totally acceptable for Mother's Day. :)

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg, what a funny post!! my oldest son is always telling me what to wear/not to wear and surprisingly he's pretty good at putting together outfits. kids are never boring, that's for sure!

    xoxo,
    Tara Belle
    Northern Lights – Southern Belles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet's daughter is too cute with those facial expressions!! Your son did a pretty good job picking your look :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is too fun!!! How daring of you guys to let your kiddos put together your outfits - I must say, I'm impressed!! Each one is great - you all must be training your kiddos well ;-) Love this!!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cute series but you three make me feel like such a slacker when it comes to fashion and Instagram. I agree that my favorite gifts are the hand-made ones with their hand prints. When they're older, the idea of a luxurious polish or lipstick is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well your son is just super fashionable, isn't he?! Janet's kids are absolutely hilarious and I love Aimee's yellow dress. Such a fun, unique post Gina :) You should do a husband one ;) KC would choose leggings / jeans and a tshirt with my hair in a ponytail. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that one for sure! And thanks for volunteering yourself to participate! ;)

      Delete
  13. How precious is this!! Good taste runs in the family and friends:-) love that yellow dress! Hope your Wednesday is as wonderful as you are!!!

    livingoncloudandreanine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is too great! I love that you did a followup from your Monday Post! All of these outfits turned out much better than I expected! I am really loving that dress in the first picture! Always loving your posts!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha I love these posts, Aimee's children are spot on in the style department! ;)

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gina, so loving this post! You are always just on top of fun, interesting, in the moment ideas! I feel like a slacker over here - hahaha! Funny how my boys are also very opinionated about my style, and most particularly my hair. Your little man chose a nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I adore Janet's daughter's expression. Such a cutie pie!! Love all three outfits, but I think my fav is Amiee! I am afterall a dress girl and her kids have a sharp sense of fashion! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a super fun post Gina and I'm in love with the outfit your little guy choose!! He has great taste just like mommy!! All three outfits are adorable.
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun post! Those facial expressions are hilarious. Your son did a great job picking out this outfit and all of the other outfits are so cute!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the kid's picked outfits! I think they all turned out nice. Occasionally I ask my 2 year old to pick something for me and she'll grab 1 thing out of my closet and I make an outfit out of that. LOL! It actually works. Maybe when she's older I let her pick out my whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your son did a really great job. I love your outfit! And the other mom's kids did great too. I think I need to let Laila pick an outfit for me to wear. I don't know if I would ask Jacob....he would probably get annoyed. Every year, I have lofty ambitions to get something personal for my mom and my mother in-law for Mother's Day but usually end up getting jewelry and/or flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! I was waiting on this post! I must say I am very impressed with these kid stylist! They picked great looks in every pic and I totally love the facial expressions in Janet's pictures! Hi 5s all around, your son hooked you up girl...you look great!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is too cute- and your son picked you out a winner! You look amazing in bright blue. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww what a fun idea! I've let my dog pick my outfit before - haha! (I have a video on youtube with that) maybe when baby is older I'll get him to pick out an outfit for me! :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a sweet post! I'm surprised not to see any crazy combinations--the kids did a great job! I tried to get my boyfriend to pick out an entire outfit for me but he said he can only find a picture on Pinterest that he likes and tells me to recreate it. Silly boys. Your son did a great job. I love this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Clearly good fashion taste runs in all of these families! This was a great read and I'm delighted that all three outfits all all very much true to real life style! I'm also giggling about the matchy matchy idea of shoes wjth something else in the outfits! Too cute! http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everyone's kids did such a great job. I love Janet's daughter's pics - she's got so much personality! And your son put together a great outfit - I'm a huge fan of matching shoes to jewelry!

    MY BLOG: ♥♥♥ Ella Pretty ♥♥♥



    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun and creative post which is common with you. =) All these outfits and the jewels are fantastic. I especially love the second, fun, colorful and patterned look plus the little beauty on that picture steals the show, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally need to let my girls pick out my outfit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG, what a totally adorable idea for a post! LOVE! Thanks so much for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!