4/6/15

Spotlight: @Teacherfashionista

|
This week instead of my usual Coffee Date series I decided to turn the spotlight onto a couple of stylish girls I follow on Instagram. These girls don't have blogs (yet!) but I think they are must-follow accounts for Express fans like me, so I wanted to get to know them a little better!

Today my spotlight is on Jules. You can find her @Teacherfashionista on Instagram, and as you read and get to know a little more about her, I'm sharing a few of my favorite looks of hers so you can see why I never miss an #ootd!



Tell us a little about yourself. Where do you live? What do you do for a living? Do you have any kids or pets? 

Jules: I am a Kindergarten teacher in Arizona. I am finishing up my 7th year of teaching, and although my class size just keeps going up each year, my passion for teaching 4-6 year old children is still there. When I’m not at work, I enjoy the company of my wonderful husband, and coming home to our 2 little Shorkie pups Amy & Max. They are our tiny 7-9 lb. bundles of joy!


What’s something that people might be surprised to know about you?

Jules:  I was homeschooled from Kindergarten through high school.
Image Source


Well that is surprising! How did you go from homeschooler to Instagram Fashion Superstar? Did you start out posting strictly outfits or did it evolve into that?

Jules: Here’s the story: while growing up, my sisters and I were obsessed with what our teachers would wear and talk about it nearly every day! We all live in different parts of the country now, but last year my older sister told me that I should start an Instagram account dedicated to sharing my daily “teacher outfits” so she could see. So I began posting on Instagram in December of 2013. It was truly just a fun hobby that started out with only close family and friends following along. I never expected it to take off like it did, but it has been a fun journey so far, and I have ‘met’ a lot of neat people because of it!



Do you have any Instagram tips or tricks that you could share with us? Either how you became a master of the #ootd selfie or how you grew your following?

Jules: A lot of sweet “instafriends” of mine used to ask how I took my photos. I don’t know that the way I take them is a "trick," but here is what I do:

1. Hold my phone in my right hand facing me.
2. Flip the camera so it’s facing me, and my phone at an angle.
3. Reach my arm out as high and far as I am able.
4. Snap the photo using the button on the side of my phone.
5. Some of my favorite photo apps are:
  • Instacollage for making collage photos
  • iSnapxRemote for using my camera snap button remote (separate purchase for iphone)
  • PhotoToaster for adding light/brightness
My following has grown mostly just from people choosing to follow. Perhaps hashtags help them find me, or they scroll through their newsfeed and have found me that way. I have also done a few small giveaways over time, and eventually participated in 2-3 large loop giveaways.



Do you have a daily posting routine? Or do you just go with the flow?

Jules: I usually take my photo(s) in the morning either before I leave for work, or as soon as I arrive at work. I then spend a few minutes linking outfit details to my LiketoKnow.it page for my followers, and then post. I typically do not choose filters for my photos. On rare occasions I will add light or brightness. All of this takes me less than 5-10 minutes. I typically post every day, however I have never held myself to that as I want my Instagram to stay a hobby, and not stress me out! On the weekends I am definitely more "go with the flow" and sometimes take a break from posting.


I bet you get a lot of questions along the lines of “Why don’t you have a blog? When are you going to start a blog?” How do you answer that?

Jules: Right now, I do not have the extra time to put into a blog. But summer is coming, and I would love to start a blog! I have hopes of doing so within the next year or so.


Let's talk a little bit about shopping and personal style. What are some of your favorite recent purchases? 

Jules: I am totally in summer mode at this point because in Arizona, we are almost hitting 100 degrees already. I often go overboard on summer clothing/fashions because our season lasts nearly 8-9 months out of the year. Right now, I am loving my Gold Huarache Sandals from Old Navy! They will be on repeat all summer whether it’s with jean shorts, skinny jeans, or maxi dresses. The pop of gold always adds the perfect interest to any outfit. Another favorite purchase I keep easily restyling is my Factory Camp Shirt from JCrew! This shirt is SO reusable and has become a staple in my closet. I use it in the winter to layer underneath sweaters and vests. It transitions well into spring with the sleeves rolled up paired with skinny jeans. I love to add pops of color and interest with either a statement necklace or statement earrings. As our weather warms up, I love pairing this shirt with either white shorts, or some of my colored shorts. It’s perfect to wear when I want a summer look, but will be sitting in air conditioning and want some sort of light sleeves.


You know, I happened to be in Old Navy over the weekend and picked up those sandals per your recommendation. They are surprisingly comfy so I am sure they will be on major repeat here! What do you have on repeat lately?

Jules: I would wear black and white every day if I could. Seriously! It is my fashion go-to. I wear it so much I’m worried people are getting sick of seeing it and wondering if I have any colors in my closet! 


I do a lot of celebrity style posts on this blog, so who would you consider your celebrity style inspirations?

Jules: I honestly don’t look to celebrities as much for style inspiration. But, in thinking on it, I would have to say I like Jennifer Aniston for her more simple styles with denim, black, white, and nude colors. She always has classy choices for dressing up, too. I also love what Cameron Diaz wears in almost every movie she is in. I want her people to dress me!

Well you have great taste in celebrity style! Not to self promote or anything here (okay...actually to do exactly that) but I am also a big fan of Jennifer and Cameron's style!  Cameron fans might like this post I did about her movie style or this one about her personal style. And Jennifer fans might like this Aquarius-Style post!

* * *
I hope you all enjoyed getting to know Jules as much as I did! In her interview she mentioned people finding her through hashtag searches, and I'm pretty sure that's how I originally found her account. I sometimes search Instagram for terms like #expressrunway  or #expressfashion to find how other people wear their Express pieces. And I spotted quite a few Express pieces on Jules in the outfits I shared here! For all the exact details on what she's wearing, you can follow along with her on Instagram or check out her LiketoKnow.it page!




Linking up with:
Katie / Laura & Erin / Alison Lindsey/ Tara

Shop the Post:


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday (any topic is fine!)


Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express, and thanks for linking up!


CONVERSATION

28 comments:

  1. all her outfits are so cute, off to follow her on IG.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute interview! All her style is so simple and chic!
    Thank you for hosting this link up for us!

    Grace
    http://colorandgrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter Gina - thanks for featuring a fun & stylish lady with us! Don’t forget to join the giveaway I am hosting this week until April 12!

    Best!
    Rebecca
    http://www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post! I won't lie, there is a definite appeal to an instagram only fashion blog. She has great style!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jules is one stylish teacher! Her outfits are casual yet so chic and put together. I don't know if I'll ever master an outfit selfie, but those are great tips. Have a great week, Gina! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to know about other instagrammers :) She definitely has a great style and beautiful hair!
    -Tatiana
    We Shop in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of her outfits are so cute! I just went off to find her on Instagram and followed! I love these kinds of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooooohhh love love her style, and love this spin on the coffee series. totally following her now.. and not clicking on the old navy link to those sandals, not clicking on that link, not clicking on that link..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun!! I like this take on an IGer vs a blogger!! Always helpful to see other peoples tips and tricks and she's got great style to boot! Thanks for sharing!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always nice to meet more stylish ladies on IG, I will have to check them out. Thanks for sharing Gina!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always liked her instagram feed and it's so nice meeting the woman behind the account.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her outfits are adorable and I always love seeing them. I love her style because it is so wearable and versatile. It reminds me a lot of yours, so a perfect choice. I love when bloggers wear items that are easy to put together and affordable and they reuse items!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love her!! Her outfits are all so cute!! Loved getting to know more about her!

    Hope you had a great weekend, Gina!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jule's outfits are so cute! I'm following her on IG now! Thanks for the fun post!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you feature a fellow stylish female! so sweet.

    http:/www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm definitely going to follow a fellow teacher like myself! Jules sounds super cool and she has great fashion sense! Thanks for sharing her with us Gina!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, she has great style! And I love her tips about how to take IG pics (something I've never been able to figure out). I will definitely start following her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love every outfit! Great profile. I hope you had a good Easter holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. On a random note, I am OBSESSED with your hair!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  20. I seriously love every single look. Just lovely!!! I need to figure out how you guys takes such nice pictures like these....I suck at it.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Jules! She's definitely one of my favorite IGers so it was fun to read about hwr behind the scenes. And it's hilarious because I swear, I never had teachers that i thought were fashionable, nor young and trendy! Or maybe I did but I was just young and misguided. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jules is so cute- and I love her style! Need to check out her Insta, stat. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed reading up on Jules. I am going to have to check out her instagram, thanks for featuring her.
    Rachel xo

    Garay Treasures

    Please visit or follow my new blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for introducing her, Gina! Love her style. I'll be sure to check her out =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Her pups Amy and Max are the cutest!! And of course her Express style is on point!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I went through many of your posts, and love your casual and chic style. Keep up the good work and thank u for the link up!
    From Jing at www.bejingxu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nice words, Jing!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!