4/8/15

Spotlight: @janet.lowe

|
This week instead of my usual Coffee Date series I decided to turn the spotlight onto a couple of stylish girls I follow on Instagram. These girls don't have blogs (yet!) but I think they are must-follow accounts for Express fans like me, so I wanted to get to know them a little better!

Today my spotlight is on Janet. You can find her @janet.lowe on Instagram, and as you read and get to know a little more about her, I'm sharing a few of my favorite looks of hers so you can see why I never miss an #ootd!


Tell us a little about yourself. Where do you live? What do you do for a living? Do you have any kids or pets? 

Janet: I live just outside of Nashville, and I am a Nurse Practitioner. I am married and have two stepsons (sweetest boys ever, seriously), and my husband and I have a daughter and son together. My daughter is a carbon copy of me. Look out, world!



What’s something that people might be surprised to know about you?

Janet: I know this might seem petty to some, but I don't have a walk in closet. I have a tiny closet. It's awful.  Needless to say I have extra clothes and shoes and purses all over my room on any given day. When my husband finishes grad school and we finally get to move into a bigger house that's going to be my first priority: finding a house with a huge closet just for me.

Can I also add that you're kind of a big deal around there? Remember when you were on TV for that Governor's Panel on healthcare? Your closet might not be impressive but your professional credentials certainly are!


That said...let's discuss your less professional credentials as a Rising Star on Instagram. How long have you been on Instagram? Did you start out posting strictly outfits or did it evolve into that?

Janet: I have been posting on IG for about a year and a half, and I started it just for the filters. I didn't see how it was better than Facebook. It's really still not that popular where I live. I really can't remember how I started seeing fashion posts, but it's been a little over a year since I started doing the same. I used to only post layouts in my hallway light in the morning before I left for work. Then I finally learned (after tons of practice!) how to take outfit selfies.



Speaking of those selfies, you really have them down to an art. Do you have any tips or tricks that you could share with us?

Janet: I do have some tips about OOTD selfie taking. Because it took me so long to figure it out, and I feel like I need to share the love!
  • Always take your pics outdoors, but always out of direct sunlight early in the morning or in the evenings. Too much sunlight can wash out your colors and not give enough detail.
  • Find a photo editing app that works well with your style. My absolute favorite photo editing app is VSCO Cam. It allows me to do so much with exposure and contrast, and has amazing filters that IG doesn't.
  • Practice your selfie skills and find what works for you. It's been a while since I posted a tutorial on how to take a selfie, but I have a feeling it's time to update that! It took tons of practice to get the hang of it, and I usually have to take twenty shots before I get one I like. The other day I took almost fifty pictures using five different angles before I got a decent shot. Different outfits don't always look good with the same old overhead angle. Try a #fromwhereistand shot if nothing else works. Your free hand should always have something to do, whether that be holding a bag or something else, you'll find that your arm just hanging at your side isn't as flattering. Go grab a Starbucks or cute coffee mug and use that as your hand prop when nothing else works. We all do it!


Do you have a daily posting routine? Or do you just go with the flow?

Janet: If I have time I take my shots at home before I leave for work in the morning. That's when I have the best natural lighting. I am a notoriously late person, so sometimes I do take it when I get to work. I also try to post early in the morning or later in the evening when most of my friends have a few minutes to sit down and look at their IG.



I bet you get a lot of questions along the lines of “Why don’t you have a blog? When are you going to start a blog?” Is that something you've considered?

Janet: I would LOVE to have a blog! I don't see how moms who work full time do it! As my schedule is now I couldn't imagine doing photo shoots and spending the time posting on a blog. As my schedule is now I just wouldn't have the time to put my best efforts into a blog, so it's something I've had to pass up. For now...


Let's talk a little bit about shopping and personal style. What are some of your favorite recent purchases? 

Janet: My Baublebar Courtney Pearl necklace. Incredibly obsessed with this thing! I can wear it with any style, from every day casual to a night out on the town.
Her favorite Baublebar Necklace


Fill in the blank: I wear _____ soooo much I’m worried that people are getting sick of seeing it!

Janet: My black Michael Kors watch. I can't help it. I have an obsession with anything black. And I know people probably get sick of my leopard print items. But they can get over it. Because those aren't going away. Ever.


I do a lot of celebrity style posts on this blog, so do you have any celebrity style inspirations in case there's someone I'm missing?

Janet: Kate Beckinsale is probably my favorite celebrity fashion icon. Her edgy meets chic style is everything to me. She can do no wrong. I know that's she's not who most would think of when they think fashionista, but I really think she is the most beautiful woman alive. My IG fashion icons are @themrsgibby and @kateireneblue. When I think of someone who's entire closet I want to borrow, they come to mind immediately!


I agree with you on Kate, and even did a post about her winter style here! As far as other favorite Instagram accounts, I'll just say that imitation is flattery and I did actually copy one of your outfits last summer:
My outfit: Sweater: Express / Jean Shorts: Target (Similar) / Converse: Nordstrom / Necklace: Old Navy / Watch: Tommy Hilfiger


 * * *

All of Janet's photos in this post came from her Instagram account, so for exact details on what she's wearing, you can check in with her on Instagram or check out her LiketoKnow.it page! (I explained more about it LiketoKnow.it in this post if you are unfamiliar with it.) I hope you all enjoyed getting to know Janet as much as I did!

  

Linking up with:
Alison Lindsey / Brenna / Tara / Jill & Carly / Alice

Shop the Post:


CONVERSATION

21 comments:

  1. her style is so cute I need to follow her :) she sounds sweet and genuine too.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this. I've been following Janet for a while on Instagram and love her outfits. She has mastered the outfit selfie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so sweet and fashionable! Definitely one of my favorites that rose to the top of my list very quickly! Awesome that she is a nurse practitioner - I had no idea. And I have the sads about her closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE her style and #ootd's! Glad to learn a little bit more about her and her background! Thanks for sharing Gina, I always like these posts!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her style! I need to follow her!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fun share! Thanks for being such a supportive and fun blogger Gina!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, these post are super helpful, especially with the great tips on taking pics! I love her style and the having something in your hand is useful info..I do always feel awkward with the hand by the side :P

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this! I always struggle with the overhead selfie shot. Now I know I need to take at least 50 to get that just perfect one. Ha!

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds
    @DailyStyleFinds

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's adorable! I love her style and personality. I'll go look up her IG now. Thanks Gina :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love her style! I love that you feature these ladies! She seems so nice and genuine and I love her wearable style! Fab post!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving all her looks, and I still need to get my hands on a J'Adore graphic tee :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great feature! She has great style and some serious statement jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I follow her account so it was fun to read a little more about Janet. Thanks for sharing Gina!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved reading more about Janet and her style since I follow all of you on IG, so fun!

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these Insta features! Janet has great style!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't have a walk in closet either!! Well, my cats can walk in but that's about it. Love Janet's style, definitely following her... I am learning so much about how to take outfit photos - I really did let my other hand hang and it looked so bad that's why I've never posted outfits like that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love reading your spotlight features. Janet has awesome style. There are so many stylish Instagram bloggers out there, I feel like I am missing out.

    Happy almost-Weekend Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved reading this so much--she is one of my favorites on IG--and seeing the selfie help is AH-mazing!! I still have a lot of work to do and struggle to get a good pic :)

    Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!