2/23/15

Fifty Shades of Grey Style Breakdown

|
There's no escaping Fifty Shades of Grey right now. It's dominating the box office and it seems every woman I talk to has already seen it or has a date set for it on her calendar. When there's a pop culture phenomenon like this I feel compelled to examine what kind of fashion statement it's making, so I went to see it (purely for research purposes, of course!), and I'll do my best to give you a fashion synopsis here without spoiling any major parts of the movie.

Ana's Pre-Christian Style:

And by pre-Christian I'm not referring to her religion, of course. I'm referring to Christian Grey, the billionaire bachelor whose "unique" relationship with Ana is the focus of the movie. When Ana is dressing herself at the beginning of the movie, her outfits are borderline frumpy (or sometimes over the border) and very unassuming.

Ana's olive jacket outfit was probably the best of her Pre-Christian looks in my opinion, so here are a few shopping options for creating a similar look:

Shop the Look:
Fifty Shades of Grey Outfit Re-creation
Shop the Items: Olive Jacket / Polka Dot Scarf/ T-Shirt / Jeans / Boots


Ana's Post-Christian Style:

After Ana and Christian begin their relationship, he starts buying some of her clothes (mild spoiler, sorry) and consequently her outfits improve. These photos are "on the set" pictures, so even though Dakota Johnson is wearing Uggs for filming, I'm pretty sure she either changed shoes during her scenes or her feet weren't shown because I don't recall seeing Uggs in the movie. That said, I liked her moto jacket from Christian (although I'm not crazy about the way they styled it with the brown jeans), so here are a couple of options for a similar look:

Shop the Look:
Fifty Shades of Grey Moto Jacket Outfit


My Shades of Grey:
I originally thought I would re-create some outfits from this movie, but when I took a closer look at them, they just weren't me. The color grey, on the other hand, is one of my favorites. It's a classic neutral so it's always around, but it seems like it's even more popular than ever this year. So maybe the movie has had some kind of subliminal impact in that area of fashion? That kind of cause/effect would be hard to prove, but either way I'm sharing three of my favorite grey pieces today. My Grey SweaterGrey Jeans, and Grey Moto Jacket:

ONE: Gray Sweater: Express / Leggings: Express / Tank: Target / Booties: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Bracelet: Express

TWO: T-Shirt: Old Navy / Gray Jeans: Express / Necklace: Forever 21 / Bracelet: Stella & Dot "Portia" / Sandals: Forever 21 (Similar)

THREE: Grey Moto Jacket: Gap / T-Shirt: Old Navy  / Jeans: Express (Similar) / Shoes: Sole Society / Necklace: Stella & Dot

* * * 
Alright, I know lots of you have seen this flick and have some strong opinions about the movie, Ana's outfits, and everything in between so I can't wait to hear your feedback. If you haven't seen the movie yet, you can still weigh in on Ana's style from the movie vs. the Grey Trend in general! (And P.S. This is the final week to enter the $750 Amazon Giveaway so head over here to enter.)

Shop the Post: 



Linking up with:
Katie /Alison Lindsey / Laura / Laura & Erin
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci / Fashion Friday



Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday (any topic is fine!)


Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express, and thanks for linking up!


CONVERSATION

40 comments:

  1. I love that you find inspiration everywhere. I have to say, this movie is a bit much for me. You look great in grey! It's been one of my favorite colors this season!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was very frumpy in that movie but you were so good at finding her few good pieces. Her moto jacket was totally cute. And I really want a grey moto jacket.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are simply a whiz for finding inspiration in anything esp. in the current IT girl Ana but I am still on the fence whether I should go watch this one. I like your awesome gray looks - it's also my fave color of the season!

    Best!
    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to watch the movie but I do like the jackets in both the pre- and post-Christian photos. And you always have the best jackets. Love that gray Gap jacket. Gray is definitely one of my favorites as well. ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love how you find inspiration everywhere! Your posts are so unique. I'm probably one of the only girls that didn't go crazy for the book and movie. It's just not my thing, I guess. lol! I think her olive jacket was probably the best too. I was sort of wondering about the uggs but that makes sense if she wasn't shooting from the knees down. I'd probably opt for comfy Uggs for a long day on the set too instead of being in heels all day. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your grey outfits.....so cute and simple! Yeah the fashion wasn't my absolute favorite in the movie but it fit the story so well. Maybe they'll up their game in the next 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen the movie yet but I'm loving the fashion inspiration! Those black moto boots in the pre-Christian outfit are fabulous! I also love all of your grey outfits, especially the one with the moto jacket! I guess I'm a fan of anything moto!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shade of grey style is so much better than Ana's hahaa. You are killing it in every look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Love the pre and post! I like Ana's Post-Christian style without the Uggs ;). Loving your shade of grey style!
    -Tatiana
    http://www.weshoinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen the movie (or read the books) but I kinda like her frumpy outfit with the polka dot scarf, haha. I used to hate grey when I was younger, I thought it was so boring. I am wearing grey right now and it makes up like 50% of my closet, lol. It's such a nice colour - not black or white (duh), but still neutral. It's safe. I dig it. Which is exactly why I want that grey jacket from Gap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your last outfit with the moto jacket! So cute

    Lauren | Disco Daydream

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read the book (not impressed) but haven't seen the movie yet. I love the looks you put tighter and your shade of gray outfits!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving all your outfits! They prove that basics will never fail you!
    xo Adri
    www.adrilately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen the movie yet - still in the air if I will or not. I did read the books though, and in my opinion, she looks more "messy" in the movie with her pre-Christian attire than I had envisioned in the books. However, I LOVE the olive jacket you showed here!!! In the end I'm more with you...I'd rather stick to shades of grey than Ana's attire (had to be careful with my wording there, lol). I've don't actually have a pair of grey denim...I should look into that ;-)
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The movie will not be showing in Dubai for obvious reasons but I've read the book and I'm ok without the movie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't seen the movie yet but heard mix reviews about it. On the other hand, I absolutely love your grey moto jacket. I have to look into it. Happy Monday, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not seen the movie yet! I haven't heard good things so I am waiting for Redbox haha! Love that grey moto jacket!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved this post! I still haven't seen the movie and still don't plan on it. I think I prefer your 3 shades of grey to theirs. But I really liked Dakota's dress at the Oscars. It was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't watched the movie yet but I did hear about Anastasia's plain Jane style at first, pre-Christian. You are a genius at finding posts to write about. I loved this. A lot of Anastasia's outfit can definitely be copied with Express clothes.

    Thanks for hosting babe and Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love the way you recreate these outfits, find inspiration, or find all the items in each outfit! I must say though, I highly prefer all of your shades of grey style to that in the movie. I find hers to be a bit lackluster and bland. I think your outfits are more fun and have some element of style to them.

    Denise
    www.fashionloveletters.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this post! So fun to see Ana's style evolve thoughout the movie.

    Heidi
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow I so much prefer your outfits to Ana's haha! I haven't seen the film, but it's so interesting to see her wardrobe evolve over the duration of her relationship with Christian :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice

    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have yet to see this movie! Even though, I've heard mixed reviews. I am so so so sad though that Charlie Hunnam dropped out. Anyway, I am loving your grey looks! I need that moto jacket! So adorable!

    Hope you had a great weekend love!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved Dakota as Ana, but realistically, she wasn't what I pictured for the role. I think her style post-Christian could be a little more fancy. Maybe the budget for the movie wasn't high, but they could've afforded a strapless bra for her in that halter dress- geez! I like your wardrobe and your shades of grey so much better!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. great analysis, I am wondering will this be the start of the comeback of the ugg boot? I know I have mine still stuffed in my closet somewhere.

    betheplebeian.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Reading through the comments, it's interesting how many mention that they haven't seen or won't be going to the movie. I didn't read the books and won't be seeing the movie either. I guess bloggers aren't the demographic of the current movie goers. With that said, I do love all shades of gray and have added a few pieces to my wardrobe this winter. You do moto very well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't seen the movie or read the books either but loving this inspiration here, your grey moto jacket is amazing and I'm a big fan of grey denim too!!
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I got bored with the book and couldn't finish it and wasn't impressed by the movie either. She was totally style-less in the movie. Your recreations stepped her looks up several notches, love it!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't love the movie but I think I might have been in the minority there. Her style definitely improves post-Christian. I'm becoming a bigger fan of the color grey though and really like your moto jacket!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  30. Would you recommend the movie? I bet it's racy! I only got through half of the book because to be honest, I didn't care for the writing much. Definitely a "light" read ;)

    I do however love grey! It's probably my fave neutral. You look fab in your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to say whether I recommend the movie! It kind of depends on who's asking. If you want to go with her girlfriend to see a chick flick/romance with some slightly edgy sex thrown in, then yeah, it's fun to see just to know what everyone is talking about. If it just doesn't sound like it appeals to you for any reason (romance/chick/flick/sexual content)....then it probably won't.

      Delete
  31. I love how she gets a more "grown up" look after Christian, however, loving her jacket before!
    -Hannah
    www.sweeterthanserenity.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your post always bring a smile to my face. No matter how tired I'm, I have to read your post. Another almost outfit picks.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great evolution of style! I love the grey pieces you chose and the way you styled them. Those grey jeans look perfect.
    Red Reticule
    Red Reticule Collection
    Red Reticule | YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haven't seen the movie but then again I didn't read the book lol...I totally adore your gray jacket I've been loving the color gray recently!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You rock these post! Love your re-creations!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You know, I have zero interest in these movies. It just doesn't sound like anything at all I would like, but, that's just from me knowing the general premise of it all. I wouldn't have been able to tell you who stars in the movie, though she looked quite stunning last night at the Oscars - way different than her character outfits! :) Now *your* shades of grey, I can dig. And those stripy F21 sandals are the best!
    Carylee | more pieces of me

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ana's style definitely improved post-Christian, haha. And gray is such a staple in my closet, too- tees, jeans, sweaters, etc.

    Great post, Gina!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't seen the movie and probably won't, but I do love grey! To the point that whenever I shop my husband in tow he has to remind me to "step away from the grey!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!