1/23/15

Friday Favorites 1/23/15

|
It's Friday, and as usual I have another round of fashion (and other) favorites to share today.

1. Olive Cargo Skinnies:
I love my olive cargo skinnies and get a lot of use out of them. To the point that I've been thinking about getting a backup pair since I tend to do that with my favorites. However,the exact ones I have (from Guess) are no longer available:

ONE: Portofino Shirt: Express / Belt: Express /  Peep Toe Booties: Forever 21 / Necklace: No Clue

TWO:  Barcelona Cami: Express / Necklace: Express / Peep Toe Booties: Forever 21

THREE: Blazer: Piperlime / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express Booties: Forever 21

Several times when I've worn my Guess pants on the blog I've linked to this similar $49 pair from Nordstrom, and I finally made it a point to try them on in store to get size and fit info::

Result: These are great and I will definitely get them as a back up. They have a mid-rise, which will make it easier for me to tuck-in blouses than my current pair. They plenty of stretch so they're easy to move around in. They run in Juniors Sizing (00/0/1/3/5/7 etc.) rather than women's sizing, but they fit me similar to Express jeans. So if you wear a 0 at Express, get a 0 in these. For a 2 at Express I would try the Size 1, Express 4 = Size 3 in these, and so on.


2. Favorite Trend this Week
I'm always observing the trends on blogs and Instagram, and the one that's been catching my attention lately is an all-black base ensemble with contrasting outwear, like these:

 Even though I wear a lot of black, I rarely wear ALL black, so I wasn't sure if I'd like this on myself. But...I loved it and can't wait to do it again! You can see my version of this trend on the far right below.


3. Outfit Recap
Here's a front-view recap of outfits I shared this week on Instagram:

ONE: Plaid Shirt: Express (Similar)/ Belt: Gap / Peep Toe Booties: Target  / Jeans: Express (Similar)

TWO: Twill Moto Jacket: Express / Gray Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express (Similar) / Belt: Express / Booties: Target (I changed to Converse later for a change of activities, as shown on Instagram)

THREE: Textured Knit Moto Jacket: Express / Cami: ExpressBlack Skinnies: Express / Peep Toe Booties: Target / Necklace: Express /


4. Photobooks

In my Coffee Date with Carylee I shared a little about my favorite possession: my annual family photo album.  A few people made comments about that tradition on her post so I wanted to expand a little here for those who are thinking about starting this. (Warning: lots of text to follow!)
When I first started making these, I would save all my pictures from the year on my computer and start working on the previous year's book January 1. (e.g. on January 1, 2010 I would start putting together the 2009 book.) The project was extremely time consuming and would take months to complete: deciding which pictures to use from a year's worth of photos, uploading them to Shutterfly, placing them in pages, adding text captions to tell about the photo, etc. I really started to dread this project, and would end up taking until summer or fall of the following year to finish it.

Then I met a woman who also made an annual family album (and a separate book for each of their family vacations to boot...#supermom), but her method really inspired me. She would upload pictures at least once a month (or as often as possible), then immediately put them into the digital book. It was a project she worked on all year long at short intervals instead of just one giant project for the new year.  Once I heard that method, it was a total light bulb moment. I was desperate to get to that point with my own photos!

I finished my 2013 book in August of 2014 then made it a goal to set aside some time every weekend to work on 2014 pictures to see if I could get caught up and be ordering my 2014 book in January 2015, instead of just starting work on it. Well, it was not easy at all, but I really committed myself to it and I had my 2014 book in my hands on January 6 of this year, which was a huge personal victory. One of my personal goals for this year is to STAY caught up and work on photos at least once a month (but preferably every weekend) so I don't get behind again. I want to keep the tradition of ordering my book the first week of the year.

If you're thinking about starting a project like this for yourself, my start NOW. Just go for it. This is a great time of year to do it. Upload your pictures from these first few weeks in January and put them into a couple of Shutterfly pages.  Then if you're getting into the flow and want to keep going, go back to last year or that last trip you took that you really want to capture in a book and do a little more. Regardless of how tedious this can be, you will absolutely not regret taking the time to do it!

Also, for what it's worth I use Shutterfly because they were one of the first to offer this type of book. So I learned their software first and just stuck with it. There might be something better or cheaper, but I don't have the motivation to learn any other software and I've always been happy with my Shutterfly books! (And just in case I need to say it, this is not sponsored by or affiliated with Shutterfly in any way!)

* * *

I guess it's a little ironic that someone who is totally not into photography is so passionate about working on her photo albums, but obviously something intended for private use is a little different for me! At any rate, have a great weekend and I'll see you back here on Monday!

Shop the Post:




Linking up with:

Shanna Alison Lindsey / Grace / Elizabeth / Brenna / Victoria / Tara Fashion Friday /
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci /Rachelle & Charnele /

CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. I wear my olive cargos a lot too - they just don't make it to the blog. I have also been noticing the all black with contrasting coat/jacket. This is a great look and I love your interpretation. And good for you to make the albums. Every year I would get a calendar made of the kids' pictures from that year and give as gifts at Christmas. I stopped doing it these last few years because Jacob (12 almost 13) won't let me take his picture and won't smile when I do :-( Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love whenever you wear your olive skinnies! The cargo detail gives it a bit of edge. Olive jeans are so versatile love the look with the off white moto jacket!

    P.S. I tagged you in a fun question challenge today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I haven't worn my green skinnies in forever! Thanks for giving me some inspo to style them!

    xx, Leah / Eat Pray Wear Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have olive green skinnies but for some reason they have just never looked good on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try shutterfly because I have so many pics, and if I have kids one day I figured this would be great for them. I know I love seeing old pics of my mom. But bloggers are seen as narcissist enough so I don't know if an album full of pics of myself is a good idea lol. great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog through the link up. The olive cargo skinnies...I think I need a pair.
    www.kimmskornerblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to find a pair of olive pants that I love. I've tried on a bunch but never found ones that I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kinda love the nordstrom skinnies - super cute. i might have to have a looksee, although i did just get rid of my olive skinnies because i didn't love them.
    i have seen the all black with a different colour outer layer as well, and I have tried it a couple times too, and I dig it more than I thought I would.
    I have been meaning to get my photobooks sorted out - I am several years behind - but this is kinda what I did for my 2014 recap on the blog and what I am doing for 2015 - which is much easier than the photobook but still. I put photos and whatnot in each month or when things happen, then by the end of the year my post is done :) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think you look so awesome in those cargo pants. I on the other hand look like a total idiot when I try them on. Love the trend you shared! I recently saw an all black look when tan shoes and a tan blazer. I loved that too. Such good tips on the photobook! That makes it seem doable, and you probably remember more if you add it as things happen. I thought that was so neat when I read it on the interview.

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the olive cargo's, the second look is gorgeous!:) X

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cargo skinny is on my list to get. It so lovely and I love how you wear it. I also plan on doing my photo albums as soon as I'm in the clear about spending some money.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo, I love those Olive skinnies and was glad to hear your reivew of the Nordie's pair! Something to consider when I'm at the mall this weekend ;-) I did just pick up an Olive Portofino, but the only olive pants I have are cargo/jogger style...so something to consider! And I loved your all black with the white jacket look...I've so been loving "simple" yet chic outfits lately!! Oh, and I'm a total failure when it comes to the photo albums....all our photos are just living on a hard drive ;-(
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those cargo pants! They are such a great staple and they are the perfect combo of edgy and feminine!
    An annual photo book is such a great idea! I use to do them as part of a valentines day gift for my husband but after we got married, I stopped. Now that the baby is coming I have every reason to start up again! It's totally worth the time and the money. Have a great weekend! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cargo pants from Nordstrom look great on you! You have such nice legs! Every time I've tried them on, they've made my stumpy legs look even worse. Maybe I can lean them out this year?

    I've also been noticing the all black with a contrast color. My personal fave is black and camel - so classic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been totally loving the black base with a fun pop of color too!! And you need to tell me what kind of leg work outs you do girl-- killin it those cargos :)

    Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't realize until recently that your cargo skinnies were Guess. I had assumed they were Express. Do you have the Express pair too or am I crazy?! I love the way you styled them and that's the big reason why I wanted a pair of my own! And I'm glad that you gave more input on the books. I was thinking of that myself or even as a yearly gift for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a pair of cargo skinnies from Gap and they are my absolute favorite!

    xo
    www.style-wire.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just ordered the same pair of olive skinnies from Nordstrom. I have no idea how they are going to fit. I'm loving the look of an all black outfit with a pop of color! I used to scrapbook albums and haven't for years. I keep putting it off. I think the last page I did was the first day of 1st grade and now she's in 8th! I really need to make some albums through Shutterly!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOve all the looks you styled, esp the olive skinny.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are those ripped jeans recent, Gina! They look so good on you. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney. Sadly, the jeans are from last year and the exact ones are no longer available!

      Delete
  21. LOVE those cargo jeans! I don't know what I've never invested in a pair - must do!

    xoxo

    Kaley

    My Closet Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those olive cargo skinnies are fabulous, I say go for the backup pair ;-)

    Happy Friday <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all black! I think it's very sharp and classic. You have to pair it just right or you'll end up looking like Elvira instead LOL You did an awesome job with your all black with the white moto jacket. that look was hot!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I own 2 pairs of cargo olive skinnies and love them both. Love your newest pair from Nordstrom which fit you so well. I need to wear more black, also. I must try an all-black look with my red coat.

    And, as I commented on Carylee's blog, I loved your coffee date/interview. So fresh and natural. I simply love your personality. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. (Sorry if this posts twice; I can't tell if your blog ate my first comment or not, haha!)

    I just bought my first pair of skinny cargos. They look and fit very similar to your Guess cargos, but they are actually made of a technical fabric by Prana. I figured they would be great for travel because they are highly water and stain resistant and super quick-dry. Also I get excited when I can wear a pair of pants around town or to my casual work place but also to go camping or hiking. In case any of your readers want to check them out, they are called the Prana Meme pant.

    http://www.polyvore.com/prana_meme_low_rise_cargo/thing?id=97897902

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one post! (I've had that happen too though!) Thank you so much for the recommendation Kristi! I just checked those out and they look great too! It looks like 6pm carries them, but only in the Gravel and Terracotta color. But I'm loving the Gravel shade and the back pockets styling on those!

      Delete
  26. I love the all black ensembles with the pop of colour. Totally up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the portofino tops from express - really simple but classy!

    By the way, I am giving away $25 gift card to The Mint Julep Boutique! I’d love if you can send your entries!

    Abby
    Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!