11/12/14

Coffee Date: Ashley & Daphnee

|
Today's virtual Coffee Date is kind of a blind date. Ashley of Le Stylo Rouge and Daphnee of Dressed 2 D Nines don't really know each other well, but I invited them both to participate since I knew they had a couple of things in common. First of all, their Express-shopping habits, and second, their vibrant personalities that jump off their blog pages. I discovered quite a few other similarities along the way, so read on to learn more!

Original Post: Ashley / Daphnee

I always host my virtual coffee dates at Starbucks, so first things first, what will you be drinking today?

Ashley:
Salted caramel mocha, nonfat, no whip. Salted caramel anything is pretty much my jam.

Daphnee:
Something totally uncharacteristic of a coffee shop: the Orange Mango Smoothie. I go crazy over smoothies. I would take them intravenously!


I always like to learn a little bit about people's blogging backstory, so tell me how long you've been blogging and what’s been the biggest surprise about the experience for you?
Early outfit posts: Ashley /  Daphnee
Ashley:
I’ve been blogging for about 4 years now. The biggest surprise is that people (other than my mom, for example) actually read my blog– I’m just this random Kansas City girl who likes crazy leather jackets and has a ridiculously large ankle boot collection.
 
Daphnee:
I started blogging in August, so it’s been 3 months. My biggest surprise has been how much work goes into maintaining a site. It’s not just schlepping up pics and hitting the save/send button. I’ve had to watch plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to accomplish certain things on my blog so that I can achieve the best look possible. There are still tons of things I’d love to learn and hopefully will in time.

Share a blogging tip or trick  you have learned along the way. 

Ashley:
Use an editorial calendar. Mine is in Google calendar along with everything else in my life, so I have a full picture of what’s going on, what’s coming up, etc.
 
Daphnee:
Set a monthly budget for yourself that under most circumstances you stick to. I think your real readers will appreciate style ideas that can be remixed into a variety of style options as opposed to the unrealistic notion that you have to have a different outfit for a 365 day year.


Tell me a little about your life way before blogging. What were you like in high school or college? What activities did you do? 

Ashley:
English was my best subject and I was in class office, student council, and varsity volleyball. I graduated college Summa Cum Laude because I’m a super dweeb.

Daphnee:
Writing was my best subject, I still love to write. And I don’t do sports! But my nerdy behind was a part of the Year Book Committee and Student Council


Of course, fashion and shopping at Express in particular is what brought us all together, so let's move on to that topic....what's your current favorite item in your wardrobe from Express?
Original Post: Ashley / Daphnee
Ashley:
I am absolutely in love with that over-sized plaid tunic I wore a few weeks ago. Love the bold plaid, the longer length + boyfriend fit, and the fact you can easily dress it up or down. Such a versatile piece.

Daphnee:
The zip back peplum tank. I have 3 that match virtually anything I wear and they always step my jeans up a notch! (See the other looks with this tank here and here).


Is there anything on your wish list from Express?

Ashley:
I'm obsessed with these fringe booties!
 
Daphnee:
OMG! Just one thing? This is hard but at the top of my wish list is this red leopard sweater dress.

Gina: You guys want to know something crazy? Express used the exact two pieces you picked in one of their promotional photos. They recently shared this pic (far right photo above) on Instagram. Obviously it's the perfect look for walking your dog in New York City!


Besides Express favorites, what are your other wardrobe must-haves?

Ashley:
A leather jacket (either faux or real). My favorites now have strong shoulders (like this one from ASOS) or a draped front (like this BB Dakota version from Shopbop). So many outfits work with a leather jacket thrown over the top– from jeans and a t-shirt to dresses!

Daphnee:
My floral and crochet pencil skirt from ChicWish. I’ve worn it twice on the blog as of this week!


I love getting outfit inspiration from other bloggers, so if I gave you the chance to shop each other's closets for a day, what would you wear?
Ashley:
I would wear this super chic chambray + striped skirt combo Daphnee wore back in October. I’m a huge chambray fan, and I love the way she tucked it into the pencil skirt. Plus those nude pumps are classic!

Daphnee:
You know I love sheath dresses! Ashley has this gorgeous leather sheath dress that looks great on her, it was love at first site when I saw it! I also love the leopard print heels and LV bag she pairs it with.


Are there any celebs with closets you would raid?

Ashley:
Jenna Lyons and Zoe Saldana.
 
Daphnee:
Easy! Victoria Beckham & Olivia Palermo. They are fashion icons in my eyes and I could probably raid both of their closets and fit into their clothes. I’ve never seen either one of them look bad, even in their most casual of looks. I adore their individual styles.


Let's move onto beauty products now since those also play a big role in the looks you create. What are your go-to lip colors right now?
Celeb-inspired lip looks they love: Kylie Jenner: MAC Whirl + Twig / Rihanna: MAC Ruby Woo


Ashley:
I'm obsessed with the 90’s lip right now– so the combination of MAC’s Whirl lip pencil + Twig  lipstick is my go-to.

Daphnee:
Currently I alternate between Fresh Brew and Ruby Woo both by MAC. One’s a flesh color and the other is a sexy red!


And what about nail polish - any specific colors you are loving lately? 

Ashley:
I’m into vampy polishes for fall and winter. Essie’s Poor Li’l Rich Girl is a fave; it’s this super rich, deep red.

Daphnee:
I love neutrals and bright colors mostly but for the fall when I go dark I love Dress to the Kilt by Essie. It’s a beautiful deep red/wine color great for the fall.



You can probably tell from my posts (like this one) that I love analyzing pop culture influences on fashion. So last but not least, what are some of your current television and music favorites?

Ashley:
My current TV fave is The Walking Dead. For music it’s a tie between The1975’s Medicine and Jessie J’s Ain’t Been Done. I’m a pop girl at heart.

Daphnee:
My new favorite show is The Affair on Showtime. OMG it’s so sordid, I love it! My current favorite song is Touchin Lovin by Trey Songz ft. Nicki Minaj. (Don't judge me!)

* * *

Well, I had a great time getting to know both of these MAC lipstick, Essie polish-loving former Student Council Members today! Thanks for joining me on the Coffee Date today ladies! And to everyone else, thanks for reading and if you haven't had a chance to enter the Nordstom Giveaway yet you can still do it here!

Shop the Post:



Linking up with:
 Shanna Alison Lindsey / Grace , Elizabeth  & Brenna / Victoria / Liz / Tara / Alice / 
 Fashion Friday

CONVERSATION

32 comments:

  1. Great editorial as always! So funny about the booties and the dress. And um. I need the dress! I love that both are just as book smart as they are fashionable as well! I've only just begun to get to know Daphnee. Can't wait to learn more! Ashley is one of my girl crushes for sure! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! These are two of my favorites, so it was really fun to learn more about them. They are both so stylish! I love Daphnee's crochet pencil skirt and that Express plaid that Ashley mentioned. I love your comment about dog walking in NYC. Too funny.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your coffee date series! I'm loving that red leopard dress too! I have not visited Daphnee's blog before so I'm headed over there now.

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Daphnee really is obsessed with mango anything happy to see 2 girls that I love and call my friends here.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  5. This series is always so enjoyable! Love getting to know more about bloggers, what they like, what makes them tick, etc. Love the crochet skirt on Daphne and both of the nail colors they picked! Great for the Holiday season.
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not kidding when I saw the title of this post I said to myself "yay! I love these !!!" This series is so fun and I love Ashley's blog. It was so nice to find a new blogger today as well. Both of these girls have amazing style!!! So fun to read!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great coffee series post, and I already follow one of your feature. Going to take a look at the other. It always so nice learning about other blogger, and this version you get to know more about them that you typical wouldn't know.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading these coffee date posts! Both ladies have great style. I just got to know Daphnee recently and she has some amazing outfits. I can't believe she's only been blogging for 3 months! Thanks for another fun post, Gina! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think these kind of posts are so fun! And that leopard sweater dress from Express is sooo cute!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are such fun posts!! That's a great tip from Ashley about the editorial calendar, need to do that and get more organized, lol. Have a great day Gina:)
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for much for the feature, doll! This was fun. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley, love your blog! You have great style..LOL I see we had some things in common :)

      www.dressed2dnines.com

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome and thanks so much for participating!

      Delete
  12. Yay! love them both great stylish sweet ladies ! That leopard sweater dress is AMAZING

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Gina, thanks so much for the Coffee Date feature it was really fun answering your questions and visiting another bloggers page that I hadn't seen before. You did an awesome job collecting photos, I didn't even think to send you. That's why you are the hot fashionable blogger that you are!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thanks so much for participating - I loved getting to know you better!

      Delete
  14. Great post! Both of these ladies are extremely stylish and knowledgeable!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, a super fun read! Love Ashley's style and cannot wait to check out Daphnee's blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As usual, you've introduced me to two new bloggers that I don't follow but need to! That's my problem I think! I don't look out for new bloggers anymore because I already follow so many but this reminds me that there's always room for more inspiration. They both look and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that sweater dress is super cute - i would totally add leggings or tights though lol. love these posts girly :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had so much fun reading this!! I've been following Ashley for a while now, but I am going to check out Daphnee's blog right now - she seems great!! What a great feature!
    xoxo Danielle
    For the Love of Leopard

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to know a little bit more about these bloggers! They both have an amazing style. I love the leopard print sweater dress, the Siberian dog in that picture is just so adorable! :)
    ~Tatiana
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the best series ever! I love how creative and fun it is. Both of these girls are gorgeous and down to earth - love it!

    Lauren
    Disco Daydream

    ReplyDelete
  21. This series is so much fun! I love getting to know other bloggers better. Both girls are so cute and have incredible style.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow both great bloggers and two great styles there! Thanks for featuring them and showing all of us how awesome they are :)
    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this feature...I need Express's "Dog Walking Outfit" LOL...although I'd probably add tights under the sweater dress! How cute are those fringe booties?

    Great blogging tips - I need to set up an editorial calendar....I don't use one at all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoy reading this post, Gina! I love all Ashley's outfits. I will definitely check out her blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was a GREAT post! Love both have great style.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love reading Ashley's blog so it is great to get to know her better and get to know Daphnee better! They both have great style and I love Daphnee's t-shirt and lace skirt look!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fun series! Thank you for sharing on TBT Fashion link up. Have a great weekend!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG so many incredible looks! What a fun idea - I love when bloggers reach out to each other. We get each other so well!

    Jenna from Visions of Vogue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!