10/20/14

Fashion from the Top 3 Cable TV Series

|
Fall is the biggest time of year for TV, so with all kinds of buzz about new shows and new episodes, it seems like the a great time to look at TV fashion influences.  In my real-life circles, Cable TV shows seem to get a lot of water cooler discussion so today I'm focusing on fashion from the top three series on Cable TV. What do the female characters wear and how does it translate to real life?


1. The Walking Dead

Show premise: A sheriff's deputy wakes from a coma to a post-apocalyptic world dominated by flesh eating zombies.

Show takes place in: Georgia

What the female characters are wearing:

Create the Look:
The Walking Dead Outfit

Tee: Nordstrom / Pants: Express / Boots: Express / Thigh Holster: Amazon


2. American Horror Story

Show premise: Per Wikipediaeach season is a self-contained miniseries, unrelated to the previous season. Season 3 was all about Coven of Salem descendants residing in a boarding school. Season 4 is about one of the last remaining freak shows in America and their struggle for survival.

Show takes place in: The current season of AHS is entitled "Freak Show" and it takes place Jupiter, FL 1952. Past season locations have varied, the outfits pictured below are from Season 3 "Coven," which took place in New Orleans.

What the female characters are wearing:

Create the Look:
American Horror Story Style

Black Long Slit Front Dress: Express / Curved Heel Bootie: Express / Hat: Nordstrom /  Sunglasses: Express


3. Sons of Anarchy

Show premise: The show focuses on the close-knit lives of an outlaw Motorcycle Club and their personal and club-related struggles.

Show takes place in: The fictional town of Charming, CA

What the female characters are wearing:


Create the Look:
Sons of Anarchy- Gemma Teller Style

Grey Tee: Express / Moto Jacket: Express / Mid Rise Jean Legging: Express / Nails: Essie Over the Edge


Out of the top three Cable TV series, Sons of Anarchy is the only one that I personally watch. Last season on this show, I spotted the character Tara wearing the Express Twill Moto Jacket  for a couple of episodes:
Express Twill Moto Jacket on Sons of Anarchy and Skye

A black moto jacket is definitely the signature fashion item for the lead female character on this show (Gemma Teller, played by Katey Sagal). I don't know if the costume designers on SoA have picked up any of Gemma's wardrobe pieces from Express as well, but it's a great jacket to have whether you want to dress like her or not. Here are some of the ways Carylee and I have worn our Black Moto Jacket:
Original Posts: One (Leopard Shoes here) / Two / Three / Four 

* * *
So after looking at all the outfits from these shows, I doubt any of them will be inspiring their own fashion line like the network show Scandal did recently! But if nothing else, I think any of these looks would make for simple "shop your closet" Halloween costumes. You'll probably have to answer a lot of,"What are you supposed to be?" questions, but then it's their loss for not being familiar with the coolest shows on cable.


Also Linking up with:
Marvelous Monday / Rachelle & Charnele / Rhea / Jen / Laura & Tori / Laura  & Erin / Alison Lindsey / Grace / Elizabeth / Brenna / Tara


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        

CONVERSATION

46 comments:

  1. Love this post of all my favorite t.v shows!! You know I'm a huge SOA fan!! I am 90% sure I'm going to be Gemma for Halloween this year lol thanks to my amazing Express leather moto jacket! I wear it atleast 3 times a week!

    Hope you had a great weekend!!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome!! Is your hubby going to be Jax? Or Nero or Clay? LOL :)

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I wish my husband was Jax ahaha!

      Delete
  2. Obsessed with The Walking Dead but I must say I'm into the American Horror Story look!

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, the outfits from the current season are very fitting of the "Freak Show" theme so I had to go with past season looks for this post!

      Delete
  3. You rock that leather jacket, Gina! I am now catching up on the Walking Dead. Where are your leopard flats from? I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sydney! They are actually leopard wedges from Sole Society via Nordstrom. I will add a link to them in this post.

      Delete
  4. OMG what a very interesting post Gina - love how you did it with all my fave TV shows esp TWD! They might look messy but the TWD have great grungy looks and awesome bods!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to live in your brain at least for a day to take some creativity from you girl! Where do you come up with such fun things?!?!? I am a huge SOA fan and you nailed the style perfectly (although I want Gemma dead in the worst way ha!). Such pleasant thoughts on a Monday morning! Hope you have a great week!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch any of these shows but Sons of Anarchy appeals to me the most, love her badass look with the moto jacket.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sort of a TV looser really....I keep hearing about Walking Dead, but I have never seen it and really, how can a show about zombies the that good?? lol! Anyway, I have seen the first 2 seasons of SOA...I'd like to keep going but we just haven't found the time. Although I'm diggin the all black looks from AHS, I can most relate to SOA...I need to be wearing my moto jacket more, that's for certain!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Gina! Seems we have the same taste in tv shows! I adore all of these shows and they each have strong female lead characters. Carol of Walking Dead kicks butt! :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny! I love how you managed to make chic outfits out of all of these! I'm not surprised. You are always finding such great inspiration. Hope you had a great weekend my friend!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! I love when I see a top that I own on my favorite tv show. This is such a fun post because it shows how easy it is to create them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie! Glad you enjoyed it and yes! It's so fun to see your own clothes on TV. It's like seeing someone that you know. :)

      Delete
  11. I love both looks, but especially the one with the leopard flats! My kind of style!
    Stephanie
    http://positivelystephanie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun! Love the shots of beautiful, older women dressed in a hip style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't even think about the ages of these women when I was putting this together but you're right! There are several over 40 and 50 which is a refreshing change on TV. Just goes to show you can have great style at any age!

      Delete
  13. I always love your re-creations. I really like that Express moto jacket and I saw it the other day and really wanted to buy it but then rationalized it and didn't. I have two other leather jackets so I feel like I don't need another one but it's so tempting. It's such a great fit! Have a great week, Gina! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun posts! I love The Walking Dead!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    P.S. Hope you will stop by this Thursday and join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this and your recreations! I watch American Horror Story and the Walking Dead and it's fun to see how you brought the fashions to real life!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cool post! Love the recreations of all those looks. I have to admit, the only one I watch is American Horror Story (although my husband watches Walking Dead).

    xx,
    La Joie de Vivre by Alecia Mariana
    Facebook//Twitter//Instagram // Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would seriously wear all the American Horror Story outfits, the all black is so great!

    I dont watch much TV though!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love TV show recreations. My favorite are the all black outfits & moto jackets. They are always in style, and easy to accessorize, and remix. Have a lovely week, XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a huge fan of the walking dead, and I too was looking at the fashion on there. I swear fashion has become 24/7 on the mind lol. Loving the maroon and the grape colors on there. I can wait to start wearing my Black Moto Jacket now lol.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I'm like forever cool in your eyes. I love it and I love ALL 3 shows! They are my top 3 favs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yes you are forever cool in my eyes!! You were my first blogger collaborator and still relevant today. :)

      Delete
  21. AMAZING POST!! I cannot imagine the time it took to find all these pics, fantastic job!!
    xo/Riva
    www.rivaladiva.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I sometimes have a love/hate with the time that it takes to track down certain looks...but mostly love because I do love fashion & pop culture. :)

      Delete
  22. I don't have cable so I have never watched a single episode of any of these shows, haha! What a fun idea for a post, Gina!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a fun post! I watch AHS and Walking Dead!! Love them both. Never really got into SOA.
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great! Great inpo for Halloween. I am still looking for Halloween ideas to recreate something from TV or runway. This looks are something to consider, and easy to recreate with what is already in the closet. Thanks for the ideas!
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fun inspiration! I've only watched American Horror Story, and I have mixed feeling about it. I'm sure I'll tune in anyway though;) SoA is in my Netflix queue, so I'm looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love American Horror Story and the costumes each season are so incredible. I keep saying that I am going to watch Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead and then something else comes up. Great job on pulling together the outfits though. You do a great job doing things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You always come up with the most creative posts! I haven't seen any of these shows, so I guess I'm a little behind. I love that leather jacket you and Carlyee have. It looks great on both of you!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sooooo, I don't watch any of these shows, and honestly, I just recently found out that Walking Dead was about zombies! Had no idea what sons of anarchy were all about, so thanks for that! It's just that 162 baseball games keeps me pretty occupied from April to October, and then the husband monopolizes the TV with car stuff and crime show reruns. He's really into Game of Thrones, but I watched one episode and did not think it was for me. I would probably be good if I just had Friends reruns and baseball on TV. :)
    However, that being said - I'm excited that it is moto jacket season again! And with my faux leopard obsession, at least I know I could double as a SoA extra! :)
    Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hmmm....I don't watch any of those shows - in fact - the only TV show I manage to keep up with is the Mindy Project (love Mindy SO much)....the fashions from that show are VERY cute - Kate Middleton even wore a dress that Mindy did :-P

    http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/mindy-kaling-kate-middleton-lk-bennett-dress-mindy-project.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love the dress you chose for the AHS feature. It has such a witchy vibe--and a killer side slit!

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
  31. You featured a few of my fave shows! Absolutely loving The Walking Dead and American Horror Story! I kinda want Jessica Lange's entire wardrobe from last season- amaaaaaazing!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  32. Because we know all the weirdos live in FL right? LOL

    PS I love those black open toe booties, so gorgeous (too tall for me, but I can dream)

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would never think to look at tv shows for outfit ideas, you're such a smart cookie. I don't watch any of these shows, but i love the outfit you recreated for sons of anarchy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fun idea! I love the fashion I see on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a really cool idea. It's fun to take inspiration from various places. I like The Walking Dead look. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE this post!! My husband asked me if Game of Thrones was infiltrating fashion a few months back and lo and behold it hit the pages of almost every fall fashion magazine. I did the whole AHS Coven look last fall and loved it.

    Come link up with me at Whatcha Wearing Wednesday!
    L,
    Vicky
    TheMummyChronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love love your second look with the jeans & black jacket. You can check out my post at http://lisabrowndesign.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-i-wore-wednesday_14.html :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!