9/26/14

Friday Favorites 9/26/14

|
Like most Fridays I'm sharing some of my favorite things today, most of them involving fashion, shopping at Express, and all the random girl stuff that make people look at you like you're crazy-obsessive if you try to talk about them in person.

1. Contrast Piping Portofino

I've had this shirt for over a year now and love the shirt itself, but I've never been completely satisfied with any of the outfits I've put together with it. So every time I see someone wear it on their blog, I take notes. This week Rachelle (far left) featured it for the first time on her blog, but I thought it was a good time to compile all of the ways I've shown it here in the past for one reference point:

Express Contrast Piping Portofino Shirt, how to style, 4 ways to wear

Notice how all of their outfits have some dressier elements? Yeah, I wish I had noticed that before trying to wear it with shorts recently. Here's how it went down. I kept debating whether to keep the Oversized Plaid Convertible Sleeve Shirt (below left) because it needs a cami and because I wasn't sure it could be styled differently than the Contrast Piping shirt (right), so I put both on and sent the following two outfits to Carylee  to help me decide:

This led us to a little discussion about the shirts and the outfit. My words are blue, hers are grey:


So there you have it. I was wearing an outfit mullet. In public. Not my best day, and when I got home I changed immediately and resolved not to wear the Contrast Piping Version with shorts ever again.

For some reason I even find the black version of this easier to style, and I also noticed there are two new color options of this blouse. I like the Opal Blue version a lot but don't feel justified adding it to my closet right now considering my recent issues:


But  I still love the original version and eventually I'm sure I'll figure out a way to style it that works for me.

2. Fall Nails

I am in the small minority of people (or bloggers at least) who don't love fall. It's not my favorite season, but fall nail colors might be my favorite. So far this fall I'm loving Essie Take it Outside and Essie Over the Edge (left and right below). (Essie A-List is on my toes in both photos. It's a great red shade for all seasons.)



3. Summer

I'm probably alone on this, but Summer is definitely my favorite season. I'm always sad when it ends, and I don't mind a bit that I get to dress for summer a little while longer than most people, as evidenced by my outfits on Instagram lately.

A lot of the pieces below are out of stock so not every item will have a link. If I know of a similar product I'll link it, but for the most part I'm just linking currently available pieces:

ONE: Top: Express / Shorts: J Crew Factory

TWO: Top: Express (Light Pink) / Shorts: J Crew Factory / Long Necklace: Express / Short Necklace: Forever 21 

THREE: Top: Express (Tile Blue) / Necklace: Old Navy (Similar/ Shorts: J Crew Factory / Pink Bag: Express / Sandals: Similar

FOUR: Top: Express / Shorts: J. Crew (Factory Version) / Sandals: Macy's / Bracelet: Express



ONE: Lace Tank: Express / Shorts: J Crew / Sandals: Similar / Bracelet: Express

TWO: Top: Express (On Clearance) / Shoes: Similar / Necklace: Similar

THREE: Top: Similar /  Pink Bag: Express / Sandals: Similar / Tassel Necklace: Similar

FOUR: Plaid Top: Express / Shorts: J. Crew (Factory Version) / Sandals: Macy's 



* * *
Of course, none of these favorites top meeting Carylee in person for a shopping date this week! But I recapped that whole experience here so I don't have much more to say about it, other than it's rare to have my week peak on a Monday like that! 

Shop the Post:



Linking up with:
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci /  Fashion Friday / Laura / Erin / Citrus Refreshing Fashion / The Pleated Poppy

CONVERSATION

58 comments:

  1. I think the contrast piping works well with shorts, maybe tuck the shirt all the way in to make it look dressier. My favorite is the oversize plaid with red short it is so cute, do bad I don't think I have any red bottoms. Carylee is funny in her text talking about normal people, what? bloggers are not normal? I don't do a lot of black but I do love the contrast piping in black and opal blue but no more shopping for me :(

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I don't think she meant bloggers are not normal. Just normal is in not extra-fashion conscious like a blogger would be.

      Delete
    2. NOOO!! Not to imply that bloggers are abnormal! But I would def say non-bloggers and non-blog-readers don't necessarily pay attention to outfit details as much as we do! We are our own worst critics!

      Delete
  2. The outfit mullet lmao! I'm laughing so hard right now because I own the Loft version of Express's contrast piping blouse and it is kind of difficult to wear. I wore it with my high wise striped shorts that I'm obsessed with and I think the high wise of the shorts made it easier, other than that I can't wear it with regular shorts, it looks too funny lol!

    Loving all the outfits you are showing today and your amazing shoe collection <3

    Have a great weekend!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica. :) You're so sweet! And I do think the rise of my shorts had something to do with it. They are fairly low rise and it made the shirt hard to tuck in and get it to stay, so I had to leave it out. A higher rise might have helped with that. But I feel better knowing you had a similar issue with your shirt!

      Delete
  3. I like the opal piping shirt a lot! Maybe tucked in with short might have been better but they look great with jeans. As for fall nails, I absolutely adore dark colors. Essie the perfect cover-up is my favorite this season.

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out that Essie color! And next time I wear the shirt it will definitely be with jeans!

      Delete
  4. I love the shirt, it is really classy and beautiful. I always pair shirts with either pencil skirts or fit and flare skirts, just seems to be how my style has developed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Imogen! I think it would definitely look better with a pencil skirt than shorts!

      Delete
  5. You are so funny...outfit mullet! I can see how it's difficult to style but it's such a great shirt! Love those Essie colors!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can't take credit for the term outfit mullet! That was all Carylee!

      Delete
  6. Sooo much good outfit inspo here!!! I love the striped portofino with the neutral booties! Gosh it's all good! I do really like the opal contrast piping top too! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Always glad when I can offer up some inspiration to YOU!

      Delete
  7. Outfit mullet, lol:) Lots of style inspiration here as usual! Really love that oversized plaid top especially that it's black & white-it's a nice change to reg. plaid. Hope you have a great weekend.
    Marta, xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marta! Glad you found some good fashion inspo here!

      Delete
  8. I think you looked great in the shorts! I happen to love tops like this because they go really well with patterned bottoms like pencil skirts and printed pants for work and with jeans or shorts on the weekend. I bet this top would look great with your black and white striped shorts! Loving those fall nail colors. I am so lazy when it comes to painting my nails... You inspire me.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Yes- I think the contrast top would be perfect with a pencil skirt. And the shorts are another great idea too! Erica said that worked for her.

      Delete
  9. wow, this is like my favourite portofino ever. i love the contrasting! so basically the outfit mullet is how i feel when thinking about buying and wearing the portofinos for fun, you know? like its too businessy for fun. i think you rock it and pull it off all the time but thats what im afraid of, the voile tunic is more casual but even then i feel a bit mullety when i wear it for fun. i bet that makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I do know what you mean! I have gotten used to portofinos for everyday dressy casual, but I can see how if it's a change for you it would be an automatic outfit mullet. :)

      Delete
  10. I wore the contrast 'portofino' the other night to "blogger school", luckily the temperature had dropped so I opted for a pant combo (and even unrolled the sleeves!) but definitely want to find some alternative styling options. We are still getting some summer temps in DC so trying to squeeze in a little more time in shorts!

    xo, Jasmin
    www.jasmindaily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture your blogger school outfit but I hope we get a chance to see a pic of it!

      Delete
  11. I love that contrast piping shirt, everyone looks exceptional!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the piping on the shirt trend! Great post.
    www.DressesandDenim.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh. Outfit mullet. Hilarious. And that you were not at home and couldn't change. It's all just too funny. And I love the discussion between you, Carylee, and Rachelle about normal people. But are we really normal???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal is very subjective. :) We're normal among our peers!

      Delete
  14. I think this shirt is so cute! I have one similar from J.Crew and I have definitely found it harder to style. I think it looks perfect with a pencil skirt for work!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I remember that J Crew version! I loved that one too but couldn't justify having both of these. I'm sure it looks great with a pencil skirt.

      Delete
  15. Wow...I have that shirt and I haven't even thought about styling it yet. If you are having a hard time styling it then I don't even know what I'm going to do when I try to wear it. So far I like how all the ladies wear it on your post, and I like yours too (I think it would look really nice tuck in with the red shorts as well). Have a great weekend Gina.

    Kreyola Jounerys

    Kreyola Jounerys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried tucking it in but the rise on my shorts was too low to keep it that way. :( But next time I'm thinking I'll just wear it with jeans. :)

      Delete
  16. I love fall, but unfortunately down here we don't really get much of it, so I must love Summer. I like that top but the blue one reminds me of PJ's, not sure why, but definitely not my favorite.

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see the correlation to pajamas! There are a lot of silky-type pajamas with that contrast trim styling.

      Delete
  17. Bahahaha, that totally cracks me up! The "outfit mullet" girl I think you look chic no matter HOW you wear it! Everything you wear is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Rachel you are too kind. Thank you!!

      Delete
  18. I love how each person is expressing themselves in the same blouse!
    http://www.fashionablyspeakn.com/2014/09/ask-alela-sirah-vol-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. The outfit mullet! thats hilarious! I love the blouse and in all the colors and style!
    xo Jessica
    www.NewlyLoved.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these Friday favorite posts. The outfit mullet conversation is hilarious. I hate it when I feel like my outfit is somehow off... I'm like the top with the jeans though. Have a great weekend!!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was exactly it. I just felt slightly off and will definitely try it with jeans next time. So glad you enjoy the Friday posts. :)

      Delete
  21. I laughed so hard at "outfit mullet"! I mean the image I got in my head was of a mullet and a big fat man with stains on his shirt and his tummy sticking out......Then I saw the top with shorts and thought, hmmm not As bad as a Mullet, but I agree that it goes better with pants. Something a little more polished. Totally chic thought and I would keep the top!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! I'm glad it wasn't *quite* as bad as you were picturing!

      Delete
  22. Cute outfits! I really like the white shirt with the black piping. It looks so surreal/cartoon vibe! I love it~

    xx Sera | STARDUSTBOHEMIAN.COM
    (IG: @TheStardustBohemian)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sera! I had never really thought of it as having a cartoon vibe but that's an interesting point!

      Delete
  23. The outfit mullet...crying with laughter!

    This is the top they put me in for the Clairol shoot - can't wait to show you it to you :-)

    I have a similar portofino shirt (with the black collar and button tab) - my favourite way to wear it is with distressed jeans (but then, nearly everything looks better with distressed jeans LOL!)

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/286260120039643036/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your outfit looks great! I actually even have that one on my Pinterest board and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Clairol stylist did with the updated shirt. I am definitely going the jeans route next time!

      Delete
  24. Love that shirt with the piping, but I can see how it can be tricky to style - funniest text ever! All of your looks are so cute, I can't get enough of Express shirts, I've been buying quite a few lately ;-)

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! Can't wait to see which ones you bought!

      Delete
  25. I cannot get enough of you two!! Outfit mullet!?!?! I'm dying over here! It is a great shirt but definitely a tricky one! You always look great and I am sure that no one looked at you that day and thought "What's she wearing". Great post!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne! I didn't think it was horrible...just needed a couple of adjustments to feel like ME!

      Delete
  26. oh i love the pink detailing on that navy blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all your outfit inspirations with that blouse from other bloggers! and I really enjoyed the dramatic text conversation about wearing it with shorts haha I'm sure you looked lovely! Thanks for sharing :) Also thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog, I’m following you on Bloglovin+, I hope you can follow me back to stay in touch.
    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com
    KAWAII BOX INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comments and thanks for the follow Milu. I will go check out your blog again. :)

      Delete
  28. I cracked up at outfit mullet!! You didnt look as bad as you thought you did for sure.. It certainly is a hard one to pair..I saw that in store last week, mulled over and left it behind..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!