8/6/14

The Pros & Cons of Fashion Blogging

|
Last month I attended an event for SoCal bloggers, and while I thought the best part of the night would be wine on the beach, it ended up being chatting with the other ladies there about our ups and downs. I wanted to continue that sharing by having a newer blogger and veteran share their experiences here. So I contacted Tracy, who is in her first year like me, and Noelle, who just had her 5 year blogging anniversary.

I asked them both a few questions about the pros and cons of fashion blogging to see how their answers compared given their different level of experience. And since a blog post isn't complete without some visual aids, let's check out their style preferences and Express favorites along the way.

Both Tracy and Noelle  are fans of the Express Baroque Lace Tee
Details: Left / Right


1. WHAT'S THE BEST PART ABOUT BLOGGING SO FAR?

Tracy: 
Meeting other bloggers, even if it's virtual. It's nice to correspond with others that are on this same journey. Secondly, being able to express my creative side.  As with most of us, I work and I also take care of kids. I've always loved fashion/shopping and showing off my DIYs so it's nice to have this outlet.

Noelle:
The best part about blogging has to be the connections I've made. I love talking about style and beauty finds with ladies from all over the country, even from different parts of the world! This community is so supportive. I think there's a common understanding between all of us. A lot of my friends don't care much for fashion so it's really nice to be able to connect with other girls who are just as passionate about the subject as I am.


Styling their coral sweaters for summer. Details: Left / Right


2. WHAT'S THE WORST PART ABOUT BLOGGING?

Tracy:
Feeling pressure to have new things to post whether it be buying a new top or finding a new DIY project. I find myself spending more money and stressing about it when really, it's just a blog! Also, getting down on myself. I still don't like myself in pictures and I never feel young, thin, or pretty enough. So hey - let's start a fashion blog where I get my full body pictures taken. I know, it doesn't make sense.

Noelle: 
I think the spending habit! When I first started blogging five years ago, I definitely felt pressure to buy, buy, and buy some more. I want to feature relevant content on my blog, but that sometimes amounts to shopping far too often. I think I've reined it in though. One of my goals this past year has been to "buy less, choose wisely" and I think I'm succeeding! It's nice to show my readers that you can remix what you already own. That's why buying good basics is a must! 



Four ways they wore their Portofino Shirts:  One / Two / Three / Four


3. WHAT'S BEEN THE BIGGEST SURPRISE ABOUT BLOGGING?

Tracy:
How time consuming it is.  This includes thinking about what to post, getting ready for pictures, planning outfits and DIYs, taking the actual pictures, editing pictures, and writing posts. On the flip side, how much fun it is and the great connections I've made with other bloggers.

Noelle: 
That people actually read my blog! I never thought I'd have any type of following at all and I didn't think I'd be blogging for so long. I still enjoy every single minute of it. It's almost like a part-time job now, but minus all the pressure. I love it!


Jewelry style: Tracy's DIY Creations and Noelle's Delicate Layering Pieces


4. WHAT ADVICE OR TIPS WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE WHO IS JUST STARTING OR THINKING OF STARTING A BLOG?

Tracy: 
  • Think about what you want your blog to be about and then stick to it. I haven't followed this advice fully. I'd really like to post more DIYs, cooking, and decorating but it's been all outfit posts lately
  • Reach out to other bloggers whether it be a question on a post or to express genuine admiration.  I've met some great bloggers this way.
  • Proofread your posts.
  • Be patient. Don't worry about page views. It takes time to get there. I don't get tons of page views, but that is okay.  I get a lot of comments from the same people and I think this is better than a blog that gets a lot of views but doesn't resonate with those viewers.

Noelle: 
Do it because you genuinely love it. Don't just expect to get a readership right away, and don't feel bad if you aren't getting any comments. People will see through BS. If you are blogging because you want to make money at it, then know it's going to be hard. I think that's why I've lasted for so long. This isn't my full-time job, and I don't rely on it for income. If you really enjoy writing and photography, then just start one! I am pretty private and shy, but blogging has really increased my confidence. There's room for everybody!


Express jacket & striped Portofino
On their Express wishlist: (Minus the) Leather Jacket  (Other colors here) / Striped Portofino


5. WHAT'S NEXT ON YOUR WISHLIST FROM EXPRESS?

Tracy
Eventually, this jacket in Butterscotch.

Noelle:
More Portofinos! I want a striped one next. And I know my beloved black and white polka dot version also comes in a blush color so I wouldn't mind grabbing that one too because I wear the white one so often. It's probably my favorite item in my closet! Just waiting for another Express coupon!

Author's note: 
I'm sure you know I'm going to say this, but...great choices! I don't have the butterscotch version of that jacket (it's almost sold out out) but I do love the ones I have, especially black. And the Blue Striped Portofino  (below) is a new favorite this summer. For some reason I could wear this version even though the black striped version was too harsh on me.




* * *

If you have a blog, chances are you related to a lot of what Tracy and Noelle had to say! I know I found myself constantly nodding my head while reading through their answers. I was actually surprised at how many similar answers they had! I also found it fun to see how they had several similar or identical pieces and styled each of them differently to suit their own tastes and lifestyle. 


And if you don't have a blog, I think I can safely speak for each of us in saying we truly appreciate your support and the time you take to visit our sites! Even the silent eyes that show up via page views make it all feel more worthwhile.

Shop the Post:



Linking up with:
Random Wednesday / I Feel Pretty / Pleated Poppy  / Victoria / Mix & Match Fashion / Tres Chic Fashion  / Jacqueline & Elle / Fashion Friday / Crystal & Lindsay

CONVERSATION

44 comments:

  1. you need to stop blogging about Portofino shirts because it makes me want them more, lol. jk, jk.
    that lace tee is super cute as well and so is the striped portofino.
    anywho, loved reading the answers! blogging is definitely more time consuming than i thought, especially when i take proper outfit photos, which lets face it, isnt a lot. 'fashion' blogging is not for me. occasional 'fashion' blogging, maybe haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Without the Portfofino I would have practically nothing else to talk about! I can't help that so many people agree with me that it's the best, most versatile shirt ever and comes in a million great colors and looks good on pretty much everyone for all kinds of occasions. Not my fault. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed reading today's post!! I am creeping up on my one year in September and fully agree with everything both Noelle and Tracy had to say. Meeting other bloggers (like yourself!! <3) has been such an amazing gift from blogging and I truly treasure all the relationships that I have made. Keeping up a blog can be very time consuming and Noelle is right, people can see right through the BS. I of course would love to make some money while blogging but it's really about having fun and trying to inspire others, which is what I love most. It has definitely increased my confidence, i'll tell you that! I still can't believe I actually go out in public on a daily basis and get photographed all while posing and probably looking like a weirdo (the fake walking pics are the best) haha! I guarantee I am on a few peoples cell phones, under wtf is she doing? None the less, I really enjoy my space on the internet and cherish the connections that I have made in one short year! Here's to the next year!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love Erica and it's been fun learning & growing with you through this process! I love hearing how you've grown in confidence from taking pictures outdoors and in public settings! I really admire everyone who doe that. The pictures are more fun to look at and the right backdrop really adds to the photo. I am obviously not at the confidence level to do that yet! :)

      Delete
  3. Love this and I agree with all their answers, blogging is fun but so very time consuming. I totally agree with Noelle about not relying on it for income. Now I want that leather jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...you have months and months before you'll need that jacket so your budget is safe for now!

      Delete
  4. Such a great read, Gina! It was so good to hear the different perspectives and identify with what they had to say. Thanks!!!

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree that the greatest part of blogging is meeting people! I can't tell you how many great friends I have made because of blogging. Even friends I haven't met in real life, but we keep in touch by text and such. So, so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Having blogging friends definitely helps keep me going and keep things in perspective.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed this post! I have only been blogging for 6 months and it was so great to hear about their experiences from both perspectives!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't realize you'd only been doing it 6 months! I think I knew you were newer like me but you've accomplished a lot in your time! I'm really glad to have met you through blogging!

      Delete
  7. Great editorial! I totally agree with everything they both had to say. I certainly did not expect blogging to be as time consuming as it is, but it is truly worth it and I do genuinely love it. And it brought me you! <3
    That blue striped portofino is pretty fabulous!
    And how did I miss that coral long sleeved top?
    Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! I don't think I would have made it this long without our friendship!
      FWIW the coral sweater is not from Express- it was just a similar item they each owned. You can click the detail links under the image to find where each of them got their sweaters or there is a similar option in the shop the post images at the end. :)

      Delete
  8. This is such a great post! I can really relate to everything they are both saying especially as a new blogger many of the things Tracy feels goes the same for me. Thanks for another interesting & helpful post Gina:)
    Marta, xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it and could relate!

      Delete
  9. This was so fun to answer Gina, thank you a million times over for featuring me as the veteran! Gosh that makes me feel old! I still can't believe I've been doing it for so long. I loved what Tracy had to say as well. I hope my advice is somewhat helpful to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for participating! I can't make these things happen without help and after meeting you in person I thought others might benefit from hearing your perspective just like I did!

      Delete
  10. Very interesting as I am kind of in the middle... I will be blogging for 3 years at the end of November! I've had ups and downs and I've definitely noticed the spending more to "stay relevant" and once I started to do sponsored posts I believe I lost a lot of readers. I always had a goal of making money with it, but I think I need to find better ways to go about doing that without "selling my soul"... I have turned down so much though! It is hard and time consuming especially with a full-time job. AND keeping up with social media!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for sharing your perspective as an "in the middle" blogger Rachel! Great insights for what some of us may have to experience if we can keep up with this!!

      Delete
  11. I love all your different tips and G&A for this. I just started blogging this last couple of months so I love getting additional insight.
    www.kissthechic.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great post Gina. I'm in my first year as well, and I am so related to the answers. It's definitely time consuming, but I make the time to do it and enjoy the pros of blogging. Very interesting and helpful post as per usual.
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatiana! So glad you enjoyed and were able to relate!

      Delete
  13. I agree with their answers, I never thought blogging could be so time consuming, but at the same time so rewarding, you get to meet awesome people and you share a different connection from the one you have with other friends, like you I have also been doing it for less than a year, but I love it so far.

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great post! Blogging is so much fun but does take a lot of time. I'm still in my first year and could definitely relate to Tracy's answers. It was great to hear Noelle's also to learn more from someone who has been doing it longer.

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had internet all day and I so wanted to comment this morning when I first saw this! Thanks, Gina! You have been so supportive and such a great friend to me during this experience. I truly appreciate the recognition. It's interesting how many others feel and think the same things. And I really enjoyed reading Noelle's answers. I too can't believe people (besides my mom) read my blog. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome and thanks for playing along to make this post possible! I really enjoyed reading your answers and getting your perspective.

      Delete
  16. Once again, love this post! I'm so glad to hear that my experiences are parallel to other bloggers of all experiences! The spending comment from both of them made me laugh...soooo true!! I think it's because I'm exposing myself to more stores/trends/items now in order to talk about them, and in turn, ending thinking I "need" things! :-) Also, I greatly appreciate Noelle's tips - great reminder that it's not worth stressing over page views and comments!! These last 3-4 months of having to step back from blogging have made me see it slightly differently - I don't want to stress over having to have a certain amount of posts a week, or worry that my pics aren't the best, etc - I just want to enjoy blogging as a creative outlet and keep to my roots of just trying to inspire people/readers...as many or as little as there may be:-)
    Kellie @ www.ie=style.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun post. Reading this blog sure doesn't help the shopping freeze I'm currently on but it does give me tons of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know...I'm sorry! I will be scaling back in August myself so expect to see a lot of repeats.

      Delete
  18. Great article!! There are lots of pros and cons. I enjoyed reading the answers. But I don't agree with one reply: me – I don't feel like I have to buy more and more. I try to provide great content with idea and not (only) with new clothes.
    Thank you for sharing :-))

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg Gina, I love this post,thank you so much for thinking for this and most especially for sharing this with us!! I absolutely relate to most of everything they said and it makes me feel reassured that I am not the only one feeling the way I do when it comes to blogging!!! I will repeatedly read this until I have it ingrained in my head I am in the same boat as a lot of us! Thank you again and say thanks to these Ladies for me!!

    uris
    http://my-sinina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Uris, I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I definitely feel like I accomplished my goal with this post if other people are feeling understood and finding common ground here!

      Delete
  20. Gina, how do you come up with these amazing ideas for blog posts! You are soooooo talented! You consistently write posts I can't wait to read and this one was amazing! So interesting to see two perspectives! Great questions!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marianne, it means the world to me!

      Delete
  21. I can't agree more with both bloggers. I am a newbie too and I feel so much pressure already. It is very time consuming, almost to the point I want to give up but I do love to do it and do love to share outfit posts, shopping finds, and very happy with "meeting" other bloggers, like you, for instance! I love being "introduced" to new bloggers from your posts as well. Thank you Gina!

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meeting fellow bloggers is the best part
    Also agree with the time consuming comment. So worth it tho!
    Www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always love to hear and learn from other bloggers. Thanks for sharing! I was nodding my head along with pretty much everything.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love meeting other bloggers + learning tips of the blogging trade. It's definitely the best part! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was so great to read:) I love hearing about other people's experience and I'm happy to be a part of blogging community:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't been blogging for that long so this has been really useful to read. I too was surprised at how time consuming it is and sometimes it can be disheartening when you don't get that many page views.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this interview! Blogging is very demanding!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. It wasn't only nodding, it was feeling like being able to chime right into this conversation.

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a fun post! love hearing the ups and downs of blogging! it really can be a fun and intense world! :) lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!