8/11/14

Fashion from the Top 2 Songs of Summer

|
If you've listened to any popular radio station for at least ten minutes this summer, there's a good chance you've heard either Fancy by Iggy Azalea or Problem by Ariana Grande. According to Billboard, they are the top two songs of summer 2014. Pop culture junkie that I am, I wanted to take a look at what kind of fashion statement the videos for these two songs are making and how relevant they are to summer style.


FANCY - Iggy Azalea feat Charli XcX

I can sing almost all the lyrics to these songs (in the car, at the top of my lungs, ...until someone pulls up next to me at a stop light...), but I had never watched the videos until I decided to do this post. Well, it was a fun surprise to find out that the most popular song of summer took its fashion inspiration from one of my favorite 90s nostalgia movies: Clueless.

You can watch the full Fancy video here, and here are a few stills of Iggy's outfits in the video:
Sources: One / Two / Three

The yellow plaid skirt suit is definitely the dominant look for this video, and almost an exact match for the one Alicia Silverstone wore in Clueless:
Sources: One / Two

I don't see myself wearing a matching skirt suits and over the knee socks anytime soon, but yellow plaid for summer could definitely work. I shopped around for a few "Fancy" inspired yellow plaid shirts:

Yellow Plaid Options


I haven't purchased any of the options above, but I do have a new plaid shirt I'm loving this summer so check back Wednesday for details on that one.



PROBLEM - Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea

The video for the #2 song of summer (see it here) is all about mod black and white outfits:
 Sources: One / Two

Little did I know I've been dressing Problem-style by wearing black and white all summer long:

Left: True White Portofino Shirt: Express / Shorts: J. Crew Factory / Belt: Target / Sandals: Macy's / Necklace: Nordstrom (Similar) / Bracelets: Express (Similar Stacking Option)

Middle: Barcelona Cami: Express / Shorts: Express (Similar) / Necklace: Charlotte Russe (Similar, Similar) / Sandals: Macy's

Right: Barcelona Cami: Express  / Shorts: J. Crew Factory / Handbag: Express / Necklace: Old Navy / Sandals: Sam Edelman Sutton


Another summer trend featured in this video is white nail polish, and Essie Blanc is my go-to for white nails:
Image sources: One / Two Essie Blanc: buy it here

* * *

Thanks for stopping by to check out some music video style with me!

Shop the Post:



Also linking up with:
Marvelous Monday / Rachelle & Charnele /Paige Laura / Laura / Shanna / Alison / The Pleated Poppy / Tara 


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        


CONVERSATION

49 comments:

  1. Go Iggy! I think she is Australian yeah?? Got to follow my fellow Aussies!!!
    I love your blog, I think we need more pictures of you though!
    Joining you from the link up!
    www.lovelaurenxx.com
    Love Lauren xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She is Australian! She is dominating the American music charts this summer. And thank you for linking up today! :)

      Delete
  2. I love both of those songs lol! I'll have to watch Iggy's video, I had no idea it was Clueless inspired haha, one of my favorite movies!! See, you are so hip and on trend, that you didn't even know it! Love your problem-style outfits! Can't wait to be introduced to your new shirt!

    Hope you had a great weekend!!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I'm glad I wasn't the last to know it was a Clueless-themed video!

      Delete
  3. It's sad how well I know the lyrics of these songs lol. Arianna is so cute love the mod vibe in her video. For Iggy of course I love that video since Clueless is a classic in my opinion. Love this post.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had these songs stuck in my head all summer too lol! I loved both of these videos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super enjoying your match-ups here Gina.....and so obsessed with those plaid top options you laid out here! The Land's End and the Burberry numbers are so chic!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ariana Grande and totes car dance like my life depends on it when it comes on!! Had no idea about the clueless reference tho!! I need to watch that video! I wish I knew the words- I just hum what I don't! :) http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the 90's throwback and your take on it! Hope you had a great weekend!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids LOVE those songs and I have to admit they are pretty catchy. I love plaid shirts for summer especially if they are in bright colors and light weight. I can't wait to see your take this week. And black and white never go out of style. Your looks from this summer are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, please don't get too excited about the plaid shirt! I like it of course but it's not going to be mind blowing fashion originality!! :)

      Delete
  9. i saw a picture somewhere of the video and i was like wait, another clueless? before i found out it was a music video, then i watched it and it was the first time i heard the song. and now i can also sing all the words, very loudly and so so out of tune and horrible. I haven't seen the video for problem, wtf, but I LOVE that song with all the love. black and white is always fabulous in my opinion, though i cant do white bottoms. i dont think i could do white nail polish either.. what a fun post! loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of these songs but have never seen the videos. It's so funny that Fancy was so similar to the Clueless fashion! Love yellow plaid and can't wait to see your new shirt!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so surprised that I hadn't read or seen anything about the Clueless homage!

      Delete
  11. That fancy song is soooo catchy but it bothers me because she sounds just like Gwen Stefani and there can only be one Gwen! Can't believe she wore the clueless outfit! I much prefer your choices for yellow plaid! Love your black and white outfits, they are summer perfection! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I had never thought of the Gwen sound-a-like thing but you are so right!! Good ear. :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't heard these songs before (I shelter myself in a bubble of sports radio, so I miss a lot...) and they are so weird! Why the clueless parody? Regardless, I love your fashion choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed that two of you have not heard either of these songs!

      Delete
  13. Another fantastic idea girl! I love how you've dressed like the music video. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so am I the only one who hasn't heard either song?! I'm serious! I am clueless about this ( corny pun intended). I mainly listen to alternative rock so maybe that's why lol. Anyway, I love your black and white outfits! It's always a combo that looks classic and chic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just you and Anna Belle I guess! I am surprised/impressed that you've managed to avoid them!

      Delete
  15. I love both of these songs! The Iggy video is great. I love the Clueless influence. In terms of outfits, I would probably wear more of the black and white combos. I really like all three of these outfits!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of the videos were definitely fun eye candy! And glad you like the outfits!

      Delete
  16. Love the white nail polish trend but I don't think I'm tan enough to pull it off. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird at all!! There are plenty of trendy colors I can't wear, like hot pink on my toes or any kind of purple/lavender on fingers or toes. A flattering shade is more important to me than a trendy one!

      Delete
  17. I have to admit that I don't keep up with the Billboard charts but I've heard these two songs a thousand times. Loving the black and white looks. I'm glad that plaid is back but hopefully with an updated twist. Yellow plaid is definitely new, at least for me! Have a great week, Gina! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! I knew I'd heard the songs a lot but don't really keep up with charts either. I had to Google to confirm which songs were actually the top two. Luckily they were fashion-friendly!

      Delete
  18. I am going to have to check out the Iggy Azalea video ... love the Clueless flashback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun..lots of other cute outfits and nostalgic moments I didn't get to include!

      Delete
  19. I haven't watched either of these music videos but gosh I love that Fancy has all the clueless references!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving all the pops of color you've been adding to your black and white outfits... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gina I loved the Fancy video. I LOVED Clueless, and the store Contempo Casuals OMG! I don't like the Problem song, but I think yellow plaid is cute!

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Fancy" is the song of the summer, and its video is the best of the year. An homage to "Clueless". I mean, it doesn't any better than that. BTW, love your plaid picks!

    Megan // www.fyeahblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun post :-) Clueless was my everything - I honestly think I memorized the lines to that movie - and I SO wanted to be Alicia Silverstone (when I wasn't busy wishing I was Liv Tyler...those 2 girls were so pretty!). I love Fancy and blast it when I'm working out :-) But I don't think I'd be wearing yellow plaid anytime soon ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am in love the the Fancy video. I think it is hilarious! Clueless is a great movie and the clothes are amazing! Great fun post, thanks for sharing!!

    xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire

    stPeaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  25. i've been loving essie marshmallow a lot lately. loving the white nails trends!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm obsessed with the way they recreated all of Cher's looks in the Fancy video- Clueless was my liiiiiiiife back in the day! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. You crack me up!!! LOL..but black and white never looked so good as on you!! And ahem you rubbed off the silk cami bug good on me..I bought another one..LOL.Thanks hun
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love both of these songs it's crazy! And I love your blog- you have so many awesome posts like this one.

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am totally obsessed with these songs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Obsessed with the mod black and white look Ariana Grande was rocking. PLUS, she sounds like a young Mariah Carey! Love that girl's voice!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the look of B&W - so perfect for travel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cra cra - my daughter just got a skirt for school just like the yellow plaid skirts from the movie and video...LOL!! Everything comes back in style I guess!! Also, I'm still coveting those black and white striped shorts you have!!!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!