7/3/17

Striped Cami + Authentic Patriotism

|
Happy it's-almost-a-holiday Monday! I think this is the first time in ages where Monday feels a little bit like a Friday! We're not entirely sure what we're doing tomorrow but leaning towards a beach day. The kids got some good surfing lessons and experience at day camp this summer so we might as well put it to good use and let them work on their skills. If that's the case, I won't be wearing this outfit again tomorrow, but it's kinda-patriotic so today seems like a good day to post it!

Top: c/o Romwe | Shorts: Target (Similar| Shoes: c/o Amazon | Bag: c/o Charming Charlie | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks (use code: onthedailyx for 10% off!)

Fit Notes: This top comes in sizes Small-Large, and I do think it runs true to size. For comparison, I normally wear an XS in the Express Barcelona Cami but since I didn't have that size option in this so I went with the Small. Consequently the fit is just a little too big, especially under the arms. I loved the print and liked how it fit aside from that, so I just wore a black v-neck cami underneath it for proper coverage on the sides. (My v neck cami is old from Express, Target currently carries a similar option.)

These espadrilles from Amazon came mostly in even sizes, and I normally wear a 7.5 so I opted for the 7 and the fit is perfect. I wanted a summery alternate to my black wedge pumps and espadrilles are pretty much the epitome of a summer shoe!

Front View:
Top: c/o Romwe | Shorts: Target (Similar| Shoes: c/o Amazon | Bag: c/o Charming Charlie | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks (use code: onthedailyx for 10% off!)


Monday Motivation: Authentic Patriotism

Tomorrow is the 4th of July, and for me, this holiday always makes me think of my Dad. Every year on the Sunday closest to the 4th of July holiday he would wear his bold Stars and Stripes necktie to church...very similar to this:

When he passed away last November, something that a lot of people remembered about him and commented to our family was that they remember him for being a very patriotic man who loved his country.

As for me, I got a lot of characteristics from my Dad and I like to think I'm patriotic at heart, but I don't see "patriotic" as being something people will ultimately remember about me in the end like they did for him. And then I wondered...am I even patriotic at all? And if I claim to be patriotic how am I showing that vs. just saying or thinking it?

To answer that question (it wasn't rhetorical!), I Googled. What I read made me feel better about not wearing the most festive 4th of July outfits or having the biggest fireworks display in the neighborhood (that would be illegal here anyway...).

Here are eight easy, practical suggestions that spoke to me on ways that I am or would like to be patriotic. I've listed the sources at the end of the list since it was compiled from various other articles:

1. Vote
2. Visit and Support a National Park
3. Support Veterans (simple, specific ways to do that given here)
4. Teach your children about proper respect and behavior during the National Anthem
5. Visit places significant to our national history
6. Serve on a jury
7. Pay your taxes
8. Study History. "You cannot change the future without a firm understanding of the past. Thus, being a responsible citizen demands a firm grasp of history. And, in the age of the Internet, there is no excuse for the ignorance of so many adults. Read a book. Watch a film. Take a class. Learn about our culture in all of its splendor and horror so that you can engage in factual conversations and debate."

Sources: Suggestions 1-3 from Meaningful Ways to be Patriotic. Suggestions 4-5 from 10 Examples of Patriotism Parents Should Teach their Kids. Suggestions 6-7 from 9 of the Most Patriotic Things you can do. Suggestion 8 from 7 Ways to Show Patriotism

In the final suggestion, they mentioned watching a film (as a means of learning more about history), and one of the struggles I've found with that is finding patriotic films that are also family friendly! Many that are popular have more violence/language/etc. than I really want my kids to see at this point. If you have any suggestions for entertaining, patriotic, family-friendly movies to watch this holiday season let me know, and have a safe and happy holiday!


Linking up with:
Monday: Rachelle | Carylee | Heather & Johanna | Laura | Karen | Jennie

CONVERSATION

20 comments:

  1. Happy early 4th, a beach day sounds perfect I did that yesterday and had the best time. I also sleep so well after a beach day.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed all of your beach snaps this weekend! You have the cutest bathing suits.

      Delete
  2. Love these reminders and truths about our country. Your practical ways to show patriotism are great! :)

    Katherine | www.oneswainkycouple.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your striped cami is so cute! I think we are all patriotic in our own way and this is a good list of suggestions. As for movies with a patriotic theme, Miracle and Apollo 13 are both really good and kid friendly. Enjoy your holiday!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great suggestion Jill! We watched Miracle not long ago and it's a good one. I think they'd like Apollo 13 too...great idea!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the reminder of the patriotic behaviors! Entertainment Weekly currently has a list of the 25 most patriotic movies. Maybe you can find one or two that works: http://ew.com/movies/most-patriotic-movies-of-all-time/the-most-patriotic-movies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh perfect! Thanks for the list Tracy!

      Delete
  5. It is a really interesting question, but I think you came up with some good answers, especially 1 and 8. I feel like you can't complain about anything if you don't participate in the process. Have a great 4th!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I agree - the quote on 8 was kind of a zinger but she has a good point!

      Delete
  6. Cute top Gina! Here are some kid-friendly patriotic movie ideas for your family: Friendly Persuasion (1956, Gary Cooper. Lane's family likes this), Independence Day with Will Smith, and National Treasure! Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denae! They've seen Independence Day but not the others so I will check those out.

      Delete
  7. That cami is really cute! PS your dad sounds like he was a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a GREAT list of ways to be authentically patriotic. As a Government teacher for ten years, this list is very near and dear to my heart. There are a lot of great suggestions of patriotic movies above but a classic patriotic film is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. It's pretty long and it's in black and white (so maybe with older kids), but there are scenes in that film that give my patriotic little heart chills. I taught High School Seniors and they always whined about a black and white film and then all of them ended up loving it by the end.

    Virginia
    More to Mrs. E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Virginia! I swear I must have watched that movie in high school myself because it sounds very familiar! Adding it to my list- thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  9. Happy 4th of July! I love your list of patriotic ideas that work year round! And that cami is adorable on you! I love the crossover style and stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that striped cami is super cute! happy fourth!

    kileen
    cute & little

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!