7/17/17

More of the Same + Mood Boost

|
Hey, it's Monday! I hope you all had a good weekend! Mine wasn't very noteworthy....mostly just driving kids around to their lessons plus a hair cut for one and an orthodontist appointment for another. Consequently, I didn't have a need for any noteworthy outfits, either! Just some go-to basics like these!
Cardigan: Abercrombie | Cami: Express (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bag: c/o Amazon | Shoes: Sam Edelman (Similar, Similar) | Shorts: Old Navy (Similar)

This cardigan is wonderfully soft and comfortable and true to size. That said, at the time I'm writing this just XS and Small are left so don't wait around to grab it if you need a piece like this. My cami is the discontinued Barcelona Cami from Express. This option from Banana Republic is almost identical and an excellent substitute, and you can see my comparison of the two (plus a Nordstrom option) in this post.

This black crossbody bag is such a great designer dupe! Shipping time was pretty long though - almost three weeks. But I was okay with that for a bag I can use in all seasons like this. Even though it holds my essentials (small wallet, keys, phone, lipstick, sunglasses) the opening is not very big so I do have to place my stuff strategically for easy access to the things I use most.

Front View: 
Cardigan: Abercrombie | Cami: Express (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bag: c/o Amazon | Shoes: Sam Edelman (Similar, Similar) | Shorts: Old Navy (Similar)

Monday Motivation: Mood Boost
Every Monday I share a little bit here about my struggles or successes at staying motivated to work on the values and goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. (Original post here.) One of the things I'm working on is being a more positive person. I know I prefer to be around positive people, so it follows "The Golden Rule" that I should want to be that kind of person myself.

To be honest, last week wasn't my best week. While I've experienced enough truly horrible things in life to know that last week's troubles were just minor disappointments and frustrations in the grand scheme of things, it's still human nature to feel a little down and discouraged when one thing after another doesn't go your way. I don't know about you but it's tough for me to shake off those feelings and radiate positive energy when that's not how I truly feel on the inside!

So what do you do when you're feeling down and want to turn it around? I don't think I've mastered this skill the way I want in life. I do have a couple of things I like to do when I know I need an immediate mood boost. My first choice is usually texting or calling a long time friend or family member. Someone who has known me for a long time and really gets me. We all have a need to feel understood, and sometimes feeling understood is enough to change my mood. My second option is to watch something funny on YouTube. I'm a believer in "laughter is the best medicine" and things like funny cat videos, Kids React, and Carpool Karaoke with James Corden can usually give me at least a little chuckle and mood lift.

This week I'm motivated to stay positive and keep working on my "mood turnaround time." If you have some tried-and-true ways for staying upbeat or picking yourself up when you're down, I'd love to hear about it!

Oh, and before you go - don't forget to enter the $250 Nordstrom Gift Card Giveaway here!


Linking up with:
Monday: Rachelle | CaryleeLaura | Karen | Erika

CONVERSATION

18 comments:

  1. Your basic outfit is pretty cute. Don't know if this will help but for the past 2 months at least I've felt how you feel, it's hard for me to cheer up as well when my mood is down. What helped me snap out of it was reading, particularly reading self help books like the ones we've talked about before. They help me realize that ultimately we are responsible for our lives in every aspect. Once in a while I may get anxious and or feel sad but for the most past I'm better. I don't remember what book I was reading that talked about gratitude, basically I try to be on a constant state of gratitude by acknowledging all the ways I don't have it so bad after all. I just wanted to share that, I feel like a lot of people feel that way and just go on saying they are fine and everything is ok. I am for sure one of them. Like this weekend I felt like this feeling was creeping in again, so I tried to stay busy by cooking, cleaning, blogging and counted all the ways I was blesses when these bad thoughts started coming back.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great suggestions - thank you!

      Delete
  2. If I'm feeling bad I either clean, workout or watch my favorite movie, Love Actually. I don't know why but that movie always instantly lifts my mood.

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I'm impressed that cleaning boosts your mood! I wish it did the same for me! LOL! Thanks for sharing these suggestions!

      Delete
  3. Last week I was supposed to teach two clients back to back. But when the second client came in, I asked how she had been feeling and it turned out she and I had both emotionally trying weeks, both of us on the verge of tears. So I asked if she wanted to go next door for cocktails instead, and we did just that. We just talked for an hour and a half and hopefully she was feeling as uplifted as I was just to be able to vent and cry it out with someone that can relate.
    And scream singing. I love scream singing my favorite songs right before a super hard workout.
    Hope this week is better for you!
    Caryl | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was really nice of you to do that for your client! Chatting with a girlfriend definitely helps me too. Thanks for these suggestions!

      Delete
  4. Love your outfit :) You have the best accessories. I definitely know what you mean, it's easy to lose perspective on the small things. Laughter is the best medicine. I love watching outtakes of my favorite shows on YouTube when I'm feeling angry, frustrated, or sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! I agree with you about laughter! I hadn't thought to watch show outtakes on YouTube but I love that idea!

      Delete
  5. Such a cute casual look! I have been living in shorts and kimonos recently to beat the heat. I wore jeans last Thursday in the evening and you saw that outfit today, but man was it hot! Even at night.

    You know I'm not the best person at figuring out how to beat a bad mood. My hormones are all out of whack after coming off BC pills and it is NOT fun. But generally, I like to go to the beach and just sit there and take deep breaths. We did that yesterday and it was just what we needed. I also like watching I Love Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing these ideas, Noelle! The beach is always calming and soothing for me too...love that idea!

      Delete
  6. It can definitely be hard to always be positive. I am so lucky to have my daughter who is constantly telling me she loves me and giving me hugs and kisses. That really reminds me how blessed I am and helps me stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet, Laura! Kids really do have the sweetest ways of cheering people up!

      Delete
  7. That cardigan is so cute! It is human to feel down and unnatural to be positive 24/7. Give yourself grace and Im hoping for a better week for you this week. For me? I try watching shows and surrounding myself with people close to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Kay! That's a good point about having some grace for an off day. Maybe my expectations are just what need to be reset!

      Delete
  8. Gina,Thank you for this Motivation series you are doing and the great discussions you are hosting. Lately I have been talking more openly to my husband about my stressful stuff. We're together every day, but I have not talked openly until recently. I usually feel calmer after talking to him.
    Love your style!
    RG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment RG! I'm so glad you are enjoying this series! I agree - a confidant is always helpful. Glad you have been able to open up to your husband more. :)

      Delete
  9. sorry to hear about your week. i get super down when things don't go my way or i get upset about something, i can let it ruin my day or week. i'm heaps better about it now, but only because i've worked for ages to be more positive and it just naturally helped that area. but it still happens. like just the other day, something went wrong and i was a big sulky baby and taking it out on everyone. KC dropped off a surprise soda for me and that cheered me up so i made an effort to get myself out of the funk. same as you, i called or texted someone who knew me well enough to tell me to get over it (in a loving and understanding way), i watched silly videos (cats and babies eating lemons are my favourite) and then when i got home i danced around the kitchen like a fool while cooking dinner. it always makes KC laugh and it makes me feel lighter and whatever was annoying me seems silly after that. and of course a glass of baileys and a good book never hurt ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these ideas! I do think I'm better at this now than I used to be, but I also feel like I always have to stay mindful of it or it's very easy to slip back into old habits.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!