6/26/17

Summer Basic Tee + Embracing Change

|
You know, I'm not sure I could have picked a more contradictory outfit to go with my Monday Motivation topic of Embracing Change. It would have made a lot more sense for me to share an outfit with something outside my comfort zone (like maybe gingham print or floral or something?). But no, my planning leaves something to be desired so let's just say I was going with irony! I will admit that I am a work in progress when it comes to accepting change or trying new things, and while I have been doing more of that this year as far as clothing, on this particular day I was all about the comfort zone. I am pretty sure I have worn this exact outfit a few times in the past, but no need to reinvent the wheel and all that!

Tee: Nordstrom | Shorts: Guess (Similar) | Sandals: Jessica Simpson (Similar) | Necklace: Express | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks (Use code: onthedailyx for 10% off!) | Bag: c/o Fossil 

This t-shirt runs true to size and has a nice relaxed, breathable fit, making it perfect for summer. I often find that for layering with a sweater or jacket in the cooler months I like a more fitted tee (especially the One Eleven Skimming Tee from Express) but I prefer this fit for wearing just on its own. I do have it in a couple of other colors as well (Heather Pewter and Stripes) and I'll show a few other outfits I've worn with these shirts below as well.

Front View: 

Shop the Look:


Same T-Shirt, Alternate Color/Outfit Options:

Outfit One:
Tee: Nordstrom | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Stella & Dot | Bag: Sole Society | Shoes: Target | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks (Use code: onthedailyx for 10% off!)

Outfit Two:
Tee: Nordstrom | Jeans: Express (Similar) | Necklace: Express (Similar) | Shoes: Amazon | Bag: Amazon (Similar) | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks (Use code: onthedailyx for 10% off!)

Outfit Three:
Tee: Nordstrom | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Amazon (Similar - same brand) |

Monday Motivation: Embracing Change

On Mondays I share a little bit here about my efforts to stay motivated and accountable with my goals for the year (read those in this post). This week I'm focusing on the value of Personal Growth, and specifically on embracing change. For awhile now I've had this feeling that I'm in a season of change. Maybe it's that my oldest is just finished Elementary School (and my youngest is only a year behind) so we're getting out of the "little kid" years and into the tween and teen years. Maybe it's that I earned my Black Belt in May, so now that drive to achieve such a big, specific goal is missing. In reflecting on the year so far (hey, we're halfway through with 2017!) I can make a pretty long list of big and small changes that happened this year and it's probably the cumulative effect causing this feeling.

I wouldn't say I am especially comfortable with change, and in some areas I can be particularly anxiety-ridden about it! Especially when it involves me proactively making a change (e.g. looking for a new job when I was unhappy in a current job), versus accepting a change that happens in the natural course of life (e.g. kids growing up).

I've been silently repeating the saying, "embrace the change" to myself lately, and finding a lot of comfort and inspiration in the experiences of others dealing with big changes in their life. I just read Lauren Graham's Memoir "Talking as Fast as I Can" and actually found it motivating on this subject. Her roles and experiences on TV Shows like Gilmore Girls and Parenthood were really great times and experiences in her life...but they had to end sooner or later. It was difficult and sad for her but what can you do besides accept it and move on? (Or as she says in her book, "Keep going, keep going, keep going."

I'd like to think that with age and experience I've gotten a little better at accepting change and even proactively making changes in my life when I need to or just want to with the hope of something better.  I certainly want to be the type of person who can adapt to changes with a positive attitude but it's a work in progress. I found a few articles and quotes that resonated with me as I reflected on this topic this week, so if this is something that speaks to you as well you might enjoy these.

From: Six Life Lessons on Embracing Change and Impermanence
"The more I permitted change and impermanence in my life, the more I grew as a person. Embracing change has brought newfound strength into my life and surprisingly, more inner peace."

From: Five Ways to Embrace Change at Work and in Life
"It is better to initiate changes ourselves using free will than to let our life progress down a negative path until change affects us in a dramatic way."

From: How to be Successful by Embracing Change
"...if you don’t learn to embrace change and if you don’t move forward, you will be left behind."

As always, I love hearing your thoughts on these topics! Books, articles and any strategies you've found that help you make and embrace changes are always appreciated!


Linking up with:
Monday: Rachelle | CaryleeLaura | Karen | JillCarrie | ErikaAndreaNarci | JoLynne |

CONVERSATION

14 comments:

  1. What a great selection!! Love them!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: MY HELICOPTER TOUR OVER LOS ANGELES

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tee is perfect on you and a classic. I already know I don't like change and so far 2017 has been the year of ALL the changes. Sometimes I let it cause me extreme anxiety and at times I just go with the flow, it's really like a roller coaster. That quote is right if you don't accept change you will get left behind and sometimes I think you even miss out on better things.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go with the flow when things change at work but when it relates to more personal things, I have a harder time. I'm already starting to get anxiety about our daughter going off to college and we still have a couple years before that happens. That last quote is so true!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote about initiating change yourself vs. being forced to change it dramatically later. I have always been the one to let fate take its course, which means I usually am not the one actively initiating change. Which is ironic because my job at work is change management! Ha! This was a good reminder that I really do need to take control sometimes. Initiate change and embrace it!
    Also- basic tees like this serious lack in my closet room! I need to work on that too!
    Caryl | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I love that tee! The pocket is really cute and there's nothing easier than wearing one with shorts for summer!

    I've never liked change and I still don't even though I've come to the realization that it can be a good thing. I associate change with something bad happening but I know that most of the time, change is positive. We should try to embrace it as much as possible! Easier said than done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your outfits are practical, affordable, and best of all fashionable ! I truly look forward to reading you blog and viewing you outfits each day. I actually order three tee after seeing your post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, well thank you so much for making my day! Those are three qualities I really strive for with my outfits so I really appreciate you saying that!

      Delete
  7. Girlfriend, I hear you. I'm not a huge fan of change + it takes me a long time to acclimate. Proud of you for sharing your journey, though! And how cute are those pink heels with this classic summer outfit? Diggin' it.

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever there is change in our lives I always have found I need processing time. After a while to think about it and figure out the positives of the change, that is what I try to focus on. That is what really helps me to deal with change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Change is super hard, especially when the changes being dealt with aren't something you want to change! Recently, I have been studying some Buddhist practices and the teachings on impermanence and change have really been peace giving to me. So I particularly enjoyed that first quote! As always, great outfits. Those t's look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the necklaces in this post! So cute with tees! Thanks for joining in on the link up today!

    Karen
    http://LadyinViolet.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your thoughts about embracing change! And those tees are perfect! I need to add a few more basics to my closet.

    Katherine | www.oneswainkycouple.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same Madewell T's in 5 different colors...love the fit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!