5/1/17

Pink Peplum Cami + Blogging Motivation

|
This school year feels like it's rushing to the end entirely too fast! My oldest will start Middle School in the fall and it's been giving me some anxiety. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm more nervous about it than he is. Middle school was rough for me and I'm really hoping he will have a better experience than I did. Last week the Middle School principal came to our school to chat with incoming parents and it really did help me feel more comfortable about the transition. Predictably, I wore a blazer and non-distressed jeans since it's my "Special Event at School" uniform. (See other examples here, here, and here.)

Blazer: Express | Cami: c/o Amazon | Jeans: Express | Sandals: Vince Camuto (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott (Gift)

This cami is just $10 and I love it! It also comes in light blue which I am tempted to get now that I know how well it fits. (The blue one is priced at $20. Odd that it's more but what can you do?) The material is soft, stretchy cotton so it comes on and off easily despite the fitted bodice. For size reference, this top comes in Small - XL. I typically like an XS in Express tops and the Small in this was perfect, so you may want to size up from your normal size to be on the safe side.

I reviewed this blazer in a previous post so for convenience (mine because I don't have to re-type, yours because you don't have to click to a new page and look for it!), I'll just copy and paste the exact details here: I have a few Express blazers (two of them in this exact 24-inch, one-button style) and they each have a nice amount of stretch to them. That makes them pretty comfortable and easy to move in, and in general they're really nice quality for the price (especially when you watch for the sales). For size reference, normally I wear an XS in tops and all of my Express blazers are a 0. This one is as well, but if I wanted to close the front button I would need to size up to a 2. I don't ever button my blazers, so I kept the smaller size since I prefer the more fitted look at the waist and I can still move comfortably.

Front View:
Blazer: Express | Cami: c/o Amazon | Jeans: Express | Sandals: Vince Camuto (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott (Gift)

And here's another look at the cami without the jacket: 
Cami: c/o Amazon | Jeans: Express | Sandals: Vince Camuto (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott (Gift)

Monday Motivation: Blogging

I don't know if this will sound strange, but to be honest there are times when it really takes a lot of motivation to keep up a blog. It's weird because I do enjoy it and think it's a good fit for me. I love writing, outfits, shopping, and connecting with women about those fun, superficial things as well as more meaningful life topics. And blogging gives me a great way to do all of those things and more. But obviously I don't love all parts of blogging. Photography is essential to fashion blogs and 3+ years into mine I still cannot get motivated to be more dedicated to that part of it. The inherently competitive nature of the industry is tough on self-esteem. And the feeling that there is always something more I could or should be doing with the blog makes me feel like I'm never entirely at peace.

I'm not writing all of this for a pat on the back or as a request for support. Blogging is a completely optional undertaking and if it got to a point where the bad constantly outweighed the good, I just wouldn't do it anymore. I'm sharing this in part because I've seen a lot of my blogger friends sharing similar "down" feelings lately on their blog or social media, and it's refreshing to hear that other bloggers don't find it all to be the sunshine, rainbows, and packages of awesome free stuff on their door every day and comped vacations every weekend. So my point is just to say yes, I hear you all and it's hard for me too! I really do my best to focus on the positive in this space so I don't make a habit of writing about the negative aspects, but that doesn't mean they don't exist for me. And I just don't like to be a complainer, because as the saying goes, "no one likes a complainer." But I would hate for people to conclude that I don't ever struggle with those feelings and such because I  haven't mentioned them much here.

For all of you who are non-blogger readers, even if you don't connect to the specific tasks of blogging, hopefully this brings a little dose of "realness" to the industry in general or just to this blog. I share only small snippets of my life three times a week here and I deliberately focus on the positive. But believe me I have plenty of ups and downs (in real life and with the blog) just like everyone else! It's possibly becoming cliché for bloggers to say this, but I truly do appreciate your support! Whether you silently view my page views, like my pictures on Instagram, or send me a personal email it's all noticed, appreciated, and the very best motivation to keep on keepin' on!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

39 comments:

  1. I love this post. Super cute outfit! And I don't think you sound like you're complaining at all, just being honest and transparent. Thanks for sharing! I've made that transition to middle school three times over now, and yes, it has been waaay harder/worse for me than for them. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of encouragement, Bethany! Somehow we all survive middle school so I don't know why we think our kids can't handle it!

      Delete
  2. First, your outfit is so cute, I love this cami. Second, very well said we all do the same try to focus on the positive but yea life can be hell for all of us.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachelle! You've been such a great blogging friend to have and your perspective always helps me keep mine in check!

      Delete
  3. I can relate so much to this post! I've been struggling on the blog front for the past year and have had a hard time staying consistent. Every day life just trumps my blog life and I try to hold on for dear life but it does slips time to time. I love blogging and I also feel it is a good fit for me and also a great escape for me but the pressure to be "perfect" and up to date on everything can get to you. I think I'm finally at a comfortable place where I'm not so hard on myself and I just blog when I want and how I want and as long as I'm being authentic that's all that matters. I won't ever shill something if I didn't truly believe in it either.

    Anyway, I love your outfit! Such an adorable cami!

    Have a great Monday!
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you can relate! I know you have gone through so much in your personal life since the beginning of your blog and I am impressed that you were able to hang on to blogging in any form! As hard as it is for us to take a break, sometimes it's what really gives us the perspective we need to keep going at our own pace. :) Thanks for your support, Erica!

      Delete
  4. Middle school was rough for me too and I have the same feelings/worries about my kids starting it one day. I worry already when one of them tells me they were called a name at school. I do love the peplum look on you and pink is a good color on you. This was a very refreshing post to read. I don't consider myself a blogger blogger because I'm just a small amateur but I get down and unmotivated all of the time. It's comforting to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely not alone! I still consider myself an amateur because I'm certainly not a professional! And I think bloggers at EVERY level can find someone else that makes them feel down if they spend too much time comparing. Maybe the girl who got the Rebecca Minkoff partnership is down because another blogger she knows got Louis Vuitton, you know? I am constantly checking myself and reminding myself that playing the comparison game never ends well. And thank you for always being so kind and supportive in your comments!

      Delete
  5. I can definitely relate to the blog struggles and as long as the good still outweigh the bad, I'm going to keep it up too! Your cami is darling! Love the peplum detail!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! I'm so impressed with how you've remained so positive and supportive in this community even when you had your own very serious real-life struggles behind the scenes!

      Delete
  6. Middle school!! That's crazy. Sending good vibes to you and to him. Totally awkward and horrible for me to in lots of ways. I was bullied a lot and that was not fun. Your outfit was perfect for the meeting as usual! And you know I can relate to the blog struggles. Rubbing shoulders with some of the best last weekend made me more insecure to a certain degree. Blogging is definitely a self inflicted commitment though and the positives way way way outweigh the bad! I met you after all!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, and while you were "rubbing shoulders with the best" there were probably hundreds of girls at home envious of you, wishing they could just get to your level to even be invited! You have a lot to be proud of! And yes, the friendships are the #1 best part of blogging! I would never have stayed in it this long without yours!

      Delete
  7. I always love pink an grey together, and this top is super cute!!

    xo,

    Kay Elle
    www.iamkayelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Support when blogging is always amazing! It can be hard at times to keep up with it all. I have definitely been there. Love the gorgeous cami you got. That color is so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! And thank you for your support!

      Delete
  9. Yes to your comments about blogging! Especially about the photography. You do have an amazing, following, though, so clearly what you're doing is working at some level :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind- thank you Erin! My hope is that those who aren't put off by the non-professional photos and are up for connecting one step beyond the outfits (e.g. with topics like this) are the kind of readers I want to have anyway. :)

      Delete
  10. Great post Gina and I love hearing your take on the ups and downs of blogging. I feel like I have been doing a lot of complaining lately in my real talk posts and I don't mean for it to be that way! Sometimes I don't even realize how negative they sound until I get feedback where I'm like, crap I didn't mean it the way I wrote it! But anyways, yes it's a constant balancing act. For example, I have no more content for the rest of this week and I don't really mind that lol. Going camping this weekend made me realize I need a pause because I get so caught up in it all and it leads to pressure which is not why I blog!

    Anyways, I love your top! The color is really pretty on you. And I hated middle school too! Well hate is a strong word but like you said, it was rough. I'm sure everything will be fine for your boy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very hard to write this type of post and get the sentiment across correctly! And I'm glad you had a nice break this weekend! Sometimes it's the only way to get perspective on all of this!

      I think I need to ask a few more men if Middle School was as bad for them as it was for us women. It seems like all of us had it rough, but I don't hear men talk about this as much!

      Delete
  11. Love your peplum top, so pretty! I really appreciate this post as I can totally relate to the pressures of blogging and how it can be hard to find that motivation. That's why I went down to one post a week I would love to go back to two or three but with work and my little ones I find it a challenge. Overall all though I agree that the good outweighs the bad and it's my fun creative outlet so I'll keep on keeping on too;-)
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing is that we can adjust our schedules as needed, and we're usually our own worst critics about that!! It really is hard to balance it all and you're doing a great job!

      Delete
  12. I couldn't agree with you more. Next month will mark my one year anniversary of blogging and I am also feeling the same thoughts lately. I feel like blogging there is always something better you can do. There I agree with you that sometimes it's easy to see that bloggers have the "best" lifestyle when in reality there are going through the daily struggles like everyone else. Thanks for sharing and I love your honesty! Xo, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your one year anniversary, Susan! It really is hard to feel like I'm doing enough here when I see so many other bloggers who post 5 days a week, 3x a day on Instagram, are always active on Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, etc.! I just have to accept my own limits though and know what kind of family life I want etc. (Not saying they don't have that, just that I don't know their situation vs. mine!) Anyway, glad you can relate and glad to have another local blogger friend!

      Delete
  13. We need to hangout and do lunch soon! Good luck with your son starting middle school. I know I would definitely be in a wreck too. I'm sure he will done, Gina! Xo

    Susan
    www.stylesrevealed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! One of these days I really am going to plan that SD blogger event I keep saying that I will! LOL.

      Delete
  14. I love this pink on you, lady! Too pretty.

    And I'm with you- blogging can be an absolute slag sometimes. It's a lot of work! Not that it's not rewarding + fun, but there are definitely times when I'm like, "Ugh- blog work to do." I feel ya!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Glad you can relate!

      Delete
  15. Hello Gina!!!
    Very Nice look!!!
    A big kiss!
    Nicoletta
    http://lavieestbellebynicoletta.altervista.org/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Gina I am not a blogger. I follow you and a couple others gals for fashion inspiration! And, just wanted to say thank you for the hard work. It is indeed appreciated. Also, enjoyed your post about trying something new. I have been considering taking guitar lessons. But, I feel like I am too old. Ha, not at all. Thanks again! Cheers, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thank you so much for your comment! I really appreciate your feedback and am glad to know anything I post here is worthwhile to someone besides myself! LOL. And I definitely think you should GO FOR IT with the guitar lessons! Think where you could be in one year or five if you start now...the time is going to pass anyway and if anything I think maturity would be a benefit!

      Delete
  17. This is such a great top! It is so chic and the color is my fave.

    Life is just Rosie
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like always, your outfits are perfectly styled! LOVE the pink peplum (you know I'm always down for an adorable peplum of any sort, ha!) Also, I've been struggling with blogging too for a while. I love sharing my style, but I struggle with the constant pressure of it all-getting the perfect shot, making sure the item photographs well, no wind, and still making the post visually appealing and engaging. It's a lot to handle for a hobby, but I think you do a great job in terms of being uplifting and sharing your authentic voice and gorgeous style!

    XO, Jaime RegallySoled.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jaime! Yes, I do miss the days when sharing outfits and style weren't expected to be so polished and perfect...just authentic! But the industry doesn't seem to be going back to that standard anytime soon so I just try to make the most of it and keep it enjoyable for me.

      Delete
  19. This article, it was really informative. Thanks for sharing..
    Projector For Rent In Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  20. we don't have middle school, we go straight from primary (k-6) to high school (7-12). but obviously we still go through the same weird tween age, which in my opinion is the hard part, and putting all the weird angsty kids together is a recipe for disaster... KC is a middle school teacher lol. he teaches year 6. but anyway. i have never met an american who enjoyed or had a good experience in middle school. i think because the years are split up at home its not *as* bad as here but who knows. high school in general was awful for me.
    uhhh that's probably not very helpful. i should probably delete it. i am sure your kid will be fine :)
    i feel you on the blogging motivation. it takes a large chunk of my day to read blogs and if i miss one day i am insanely behind and can never hope to catch up on every single person's posts. and then i feel bad that they posted and i don't read it.. silly i know, but then i have no motivation left for my own blog unless i *have* to show up. and sometimes i feel like i just have nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!