5/3/17

One Shoulder Top + What's New + Linkup News

|
Before I get to today's post, first let me say how much I appreciated all of your comments on Monday's post ! Community support is the best and it's so nice to feel understood! I also still get some occasional comments about last month's post on Taking Chances. Some of you are finding new motivation to take risks in your life, and when you share that with me it comes full circle ane encourages me to be open to more new things! While it's not life changing or a significant as some "risky" decisions, I've even felt more comfortable trying things outside of my fashion comfort zone, which brings me to today's outfit.

I first saw this one-shoulder top in store and I really loved the blue and white print. It looked perfect for spring and summer, but the styling with the ruffle and the one-shoulder just felt so far outside my box that I didn't think I could pull it off or be comfortable wearing it. But then I started thinking back to my whole risk-taking muscle theory, and I decided I can't be all talk (er...all writing) and no action, so why not?
Top: Abercrombie | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Jessica Simpson (Similar) | Bag: Amazon | Ring: Express (Similar) | Bracelets: c/o Charmed Stacks

This top runs true to size and also comes in five other color/print options (Blue, White, Olive, Red and Navy Floral). It's very comfortable and easy to get on/off. The shoulder strap is detachable if you prefer the look without the strap. I opted to wear it for no particular reason, but maybe I'll try it without next time.

My jeans are my favorite pair of classic, non-distressed jeans. They're true to size and come in three different lengths (short, medium, long). I opt for the short length since I'm 5'4".

Front View:
Top: Abercrombie | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Jessica Simpson (Similar) | Bag: Amazon | Ring: Express (Similar) | Bracelets: c/o Charmed Stacks

What's New May/Currently:
It's a new month so time to link up with GretchenKristen  and Anne to talk about what else is new around here/what things I'm currently doing.

New (to me) Trends:
I wasn't an early adapter of all of these alternate shoulder configuration tops (off-the-shoulder, cold shoulder, one shoulder) but now that they're turning into a multi-year trend I'm having a little more fun with it. In case you missed some of my previous outfits with these, here's a little recap:
Top One | Top Two (Full post here) | Top Three (Full post here

New (to me) Book Club:
A few ladies I follow on Instagram have been reading the monthly book club selections from Marci, and a couple of them have been books I have also read, so it was fun to hear their thoughts on the same book. This month I got on the ball with starting the same book as them at the same time! Their May selection is Before We Were Strangers by Renée Carlino.
on Amazon

This is the second book I have read by Renée. I liked the first one I read ("Swear on this Life," see my full review here) well enough so was up for giving this a chance. I'm about 30% into the book right now and really enjoying it! It's solid chick lit, so if you feel like joining in and reading the same book at the same time, you should!

New Audio Book:
In the morning when I'm getting ready or when I fold laundry during the day, I like listening to Audio Books in the non-fiction, self-improvement/self-awareness genre. My current selection is "Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error" and it is completely re-shaping the way I think...about the way I think. (For lack of a better expression!)



Essentially it's a study of humans and why we have such a hard time accepting we are wrong about anything from the trivial to the serious. It explains how our senses deceive us, how our communities and peers influence us, and all of the mental gymnastics we will go through to avoid accepting we were wrong.

The narrator can help make or break an audio book, and the narrator for this is excellent. That said, it's pretty scientific and textbook-y in some parts (but certainly not all), so it doesn't hold my interest 100% of the time. It's also probably the longest audio book I've had and I'm looking forward to finishing it and moving on to something else. But I do feel like I'll move on from it as a better, more enlightened person so it was well worth the time.

New Baking Adventure:
I spotted these Caramel Flavored Chips in Target the other day and decided to grab a bag to try them out. They do have a recipe suggestion on the back, but I'm thinking I might just put them in a batch of traditional chocolate chip cookie and do a half-and-half mix of these caramel chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I'll let you know how it goes!

New Link-Up Next Week! 
Last but not least, I'm excited to announce that starting next Wednesday, I will be hosting a new blog linkup with Amy Ann of Straight A Style. It's called Style on the Daily (see what we did with our blog names there?) and it will be a weekly linkup for your latest outfits. She is one of the sweetest bloggers around, and I hope you all will get to know her if you don't already! She recently posted some of her blogging tips and tricks, and it's one of the best, most thoughtful, candid and thorough posts I've seen in awhile! If you have a blog or are thinking about starting one I highly recommend checking out her tips. And I hope you'll come back and link up with us next Wednesday!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

34 comments:

  1. you've been wearing some fun tops lately and that one is so cute on you. If I had the time I would pick up this book but everyday I am rushing to go to bed. So excited for the linkup next week.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that top on you and your shoe choice with it was on point. I really do love all of these cold shoulder tops, but admit I haven't bought any. I don't think I could wear them to work. It's funny, because in the summer I wear spaghetti straps to work, but the cold shoulder look seems inappropriate at work for me. Why is that? Looks good on you though so wear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny! Maybe it's just the season...by summer people will be more used to seeing more skin so you might not feel as bare in a one shoulder top.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving all of your cold shoulder tops that you have been styling! The ruffle detail on this one is so cute! I'm going to need to make something with those caramel chips! Excited for your new linkup!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get around to making anything with them yet but if you try them be sure to share the recipe please!

      Delete
  4. I have tried caramel chips before and LOVE them in oatmeal cookies! It's so fun to try out new kinds of chocolate chips in recipes! My daughter convinced me to buy cherry chips last week so we are going to make some cookies with those soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad to know they were good!! And I can see how they would go well in oatmeal cookies - great suggestion!

      Delete
  5. I am so excited one shoulder tops are coming back! The one you choose is so cute

    Emma | With A City Dream

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caramel + chocolate chips in a recipe sounds promising to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, those cookies just look amazing. That's awesome you're creating a link up! I want to start sharing fashion and outfit posts on my blog as I've been getting into all of that more. I really like the cold shoulder trend and your new shirt looks great!

    I've read and really loved Swear on This Life, so I want to read more by the author.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, definitely try this if you liked Swear on this Life! And hope to see you back for the Linkup on Wednesday!

      Delete
  8. I'll have to participate in the Wednesday link ups! That sounds right up my alley and it's nice that it's on a Wednesday so I have more time to prepare :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, that one-shoulder top is the jaaaam! Love it, babe! And so excited for the link-up next week!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of these looks! Cutest tops!
    and those cookies.. YUM!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked Swear on this Life. I'll add that one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  12. I love this one shoulder top on you. You look stunning. And these caramel flavored chips look yummy. I can't wait to hear about your baking adventure.
    X
    Miri

    http://currentlywearing.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really don't know if I could pull off one of these off the shoulder tops. But speaking of stepping outside of our fashion comfort zones, maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't hurt to try one on in store. :) Maybe you'll surprise yourself, maybe not! I definitely don't like all of the trends out there...just a handful. :)

      Delete
  14. I'm excited for you doing a new linkup! I dont think I can do it every week but I definitely want to start posting more fashion! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun :) Thank you for always supporting our linkup and joining us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Would love to have you join when you can! :)

      Delete
  15. such a cute top and i've been loving the one-shoulder tops too!

    kileen
    cute & little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kileen! I could see myself getting 1-2 more of this style. It's a fun trend!

      Delete
  16. I'm in love with the first top!! It's too cute!!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES A PARIS: NEW POSTS FROM LA

    ReplyDelete
  17. my goal is to try something new and scary/risky after your post (and email, sorry i haven't responded yet) before the end of the year. ha! i know. loser. but baby steps. love the one shoulder ruffle top. i read before we were strangers first and liked it, but i definitely preferred swear on this life which i read a few months later. i'd read more of her books for sure though.
    love the link up name lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you approve of the name! And so happy to hear you are up for the challenge of taking a risk! It doesn't have to be a huge deal, just anything that feels a little out of your comfort zone. Loved hearing your thoughts on both of the Renee Carlino books! Funny how we preferred opposites! I enjoyed both, though and would read more from her for sure.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!