4/3/17

Striped Peplum Cami + Taking Chances

|
Oh hey, it's Monday again! Another weekend in the books and time for another round of Monday Motivation to see if we can help each other get some positive energy flowing to carry us through the week. Here's a look at an outfit I wore last week (to the laundromat no less...hope you enjoyed my adventures there if you're following me on Snapchat), and coincidentally it ties in with my motivation topic for today.

Outfit:
Sweater: Target | Cami: Abercrombie ($10!) | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Lucky Brand | Top Necklace: Kendra Scott (Gift) | Lower Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks 

Outfit Notes:

This cami is my second recent from purchase Abercrombie, a store that up until last month, I never set foot in and firmly believed was 100% not my style. (See the original purchase that changed my mind here). With this cami I wasn't entirely sure the peplum detail was "me," so I texted a couple of friends for their opinion when I tried it on. They gave it a thumbs up, and since it was so affordable I felt it was worth the risk even if it doesn't become a wardrobe staple. I ended up really liking it when I wore it! It runs true to size for me (I'm wearing an XS here) and yes, you will have to wear a strapless bra with it. Or...just do what I did and wear a cardi with it to cover your bra straps and no one has to know. The material is 100% polyester and it has a more silky feel than Express tops like the Portofino shirt. It doesn't really have stretch to it, but it was very easy to get on and off because of the relaxed fit and open neckline.

Front View:
Sweater: Target | Cami: Abercrombie ($10!) | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Lucky Brand | Top Necklace: Kendra Scott (Gift) | Lower Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks 

Monday Motivation: The Risk Muscle
There was a long period in my life when I didn't take any risks. I think it started right around the time I had my first child, and it lasted a solid eight years. I had two kids in under two years and I was plenty busy just taking care of them. I didn't really have time to think about taking risks or trying new things. But once they got to school age, things started to change. To make a long story short, after a lot of anxiety and hesitation, I ran out of excuses not to try blogging. This was also accompanied by a lot of encouragement from my husband, who was the only person who knew I was even considering it. So I started this blog and it felt like I was taking such a big risk at the time!

But then...I survived! And some good things happened! I made a lot of genuine friendships that add value to my life. Yes, some not-so-good things happened too, and there were some embarrassing moments as well. But...life went on. It's just a blog. And along the way I became more okay with letting people see my faults and weaknesses and mistakes because I find it endearing when other people share theirs.

Two years after I started my blog, I made a rash decision to take Tae Kwon Do with my kids. My oldest son had just earned his Black Belt and my youngest was a few months away from getting his, and I thought it would be cool if we could all three train together as they head into their teenage years and eventually be a Black Belt Family. So I took a chance and signed up. The first few classes were so awkward. I've never done anything like this and it was completely out of my comfort zone. It was embarrassing when the other parents would come to watch their kids (who often outranked me) in the same class as me and I could feel them staring at me because they knew I used to be sitting on the sidelines with them. Frankly that's still uncomfortable sometimes! But I push myself to do it anyway, and now I'm just weeks away from testing for my Black Belt.

Those are just a couple of recent examples of "big deal to me" things that pushed me out of my comfort zone. My point in all this is not to pat myself on the back for taking up some self-serving activities, but to say that I'm finding that the more I push myself to take risks, the easier it becomes. It feels like a muscle that grows stronger each time I use it. Conversely, if I go too long without challenging myself and trying something new, the muscle atrophies and the next time a new opportunity comes along, I'm more inclined to pass on it to stay in my comfort zone.

I'm getting better at saying, "yes" when I have a chance to try something that I know in my heart I really want to try, even though I'm afraid I'll fail. I'm getting more comfortable with being uncomfortable. (Even down to simple things like shopping in a store that I think is meant for college kids and not moms like me!) And sure enough, developing the Risk Muscle is taking me places and helping me accomplish things that previously intimidated me. I'm committed to keeping it strong and hoping it will keep taking me to a richer, fuller life.

So here's to another week of saying yes to new opportunities or simply not giving up on the slow, everyday progress toward goals we made in the past! Have you found that you have a Risk Muscle that gets stronger when you use it repeatedly and weaker when you go too long without training it? If not, let me know how you keep yourself motivated to try new things and put yourself out there! Maybe some people are just born with a more adventurous spirit than others!

I hope your week gets off to a good start and I'll see you back on Wednesday.


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

16 comments:

  1. first I so love this outfit, I know you've worn similar outfit but the ruffles in the cami gives it a new flair and I love it. Trying new things or change is never easy and I'm proud of you for embracing. I knew you would get your black belt :)

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a great supporter every step of the way! :)

      Delete
  2. I really love this cami. It is so super tempting!!! And yes to risks. I love that my blogger friends encourage and support my risk-taking even more so than my real life friends sometimes! And it makes things extra rewarding when they are risky yet we succeed or come out even stronger!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point about blogger friends vs. real life friends that I didn't even think about! I do think some real life friends can have a harder time watching us change. (This comes up regularly in the self-improvement books I've read.) Blogger friends are often more virtual (even if we have met in real life) and that does affect the dynamic!

      Delete
  3. The cami looks great on you and I'm glad you're giving Abercromie a try because you're finding really nice items there. What a great topic. I too have to push myself to get out of my comfort zone. I think we're all a little grateful that you took the leap and started blogging. I'm glad you touched upon Tae Kwon Do and what got you into it. I'm getting ready to start my son in classes. For now, I'll just on the side lines, but you never know.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that your son is getting started in TKD! It was such a great thing for my boys who just were not "traditional sports" type kids, and we tried them all! Like I mentioned, I didn't start right away with my kids and I'm actually glad that I didn't. As an adult, I progressed more quickly than they did and I think they would have been a little discouraged that some things came easier to me than to them. But I'll be interested to hear if you do decide to step onto the mat!

      Delete
  4. That peplum top is so cute! I love peplum, and I'm glad you tried it and took a chance on it :)
    I can relate to the risk muscle on so many levels! It's really, really hard for me and something I struggle with every single day. Even just simple tasks can be uncomfortable. But I do find that when I push myself, even when I fail or fall short, I'm always much happier with myself and it boosts my confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle! And I'm glad you could relate to my experiences with risk taking. It really is easier said than done but can be so rewarding!

      Delete
  5. What a great post! As we get older, I definitely think we fall into a routine and stop taking risks because we don't want to fail. We want that success we get with the same things we are used to. But by taking risks we challenge ourselves and grow and that leads to learning and sometimes to new hobbies and great things! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Laura! It's funny because as a parent I'm always "forcing" my kids to try new things (even if it's simple, mandatory stuff like enrolling them in school for the first time) that are scary to them, yet it's easy to not do any of those new things myself if I don't want to. I feel like trying more things as I age has really helped me be sympathetic to my kids when I make them do something new and they are frustrated if they're not good at it at first, etc.

      Delete
  6. That cami looks great! I never think about Abercrombie. I totally agree with you about taking risks. One of the guys I listen to talks a lot about how you can't wait to feel confident to take risks because taking the action is what gives you confidence. I totally agree. A few years ago, I did a year of yes, which was awesome, but I didn't keep it up. I now try to force myself out of my comfort zone more often so that muscle doesn't atrophy. Thanks for sharing!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so simple but that's so true! I would love to hear more about your year of yes and some of the things you experienced!

      Delete
  7. Loving that cami, and you can't beat the price! Have a fabulous week <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  8. first off, that cami is so cute! secondly, sorry for the late comment. lastly... my risk muscle is so weak it basically doesn't exist. i feel like i am kind of where you were around the time you had your first kid. trying something new terrifies me. i almost have myself convinced i don't have anything i even want to try. i don't know what i am afraid of, but i'm terrified. i tell myself i like sitting on the sidelines. for me, and i swear i'm not trying to be fake modest or woe is me, but i'm just not good at most things, so i'm scared of trying because what's the point? i know i will suck at it. the only thing i am very good at is reading, which is why i do a lot of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I have been meaning to reply to this for awhile! I think you know deep down in your heart that you DO stand to gain from taking some risks. And with a lot of things, yes, you are not going to be good at them AT FIRST. And that's hard!! It's been something I've learned through parenting how much I'm willing to push my kids to continue something when they aren't good at first and yet how quickly I want to give up myself when I'm not good! It really clicked for me that I need to be a better example at that. I think you should challenge yourself a little bit in this department!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!