2/6/17

Bold Stripe Cami + Monday Motivation

|
I am really excited for this week's Monday Motivation. It's something I've been saying I need to do for awhile but just kept putting off, and miraculously, I finally found the motivation to do something about it. Maybe not something drastic, but a start. But first, let's talk OOTD....

Jacket: Express (Similar Black in stock) | Cami: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Express (Similar) | Boots: Lucky Brand | Bag: Amazon

Outfit Notes:
  • Unfortunately the black version of this jacket is now out of stock online. But they do have a similar option and they have the exact jacket in two other colors. (Licorice Grey and Marled Black/White). I have and love those colors as well. To see how I've worn them (plus an additional styling option for my striped cami go here. The jackets and cami all run true-to-size and I'm wearing an XS.
  • For three additional outfits with these jeans, see this post (I just noticed that I already wore them with this jacket already! Apparently I like them together.) They are also newer favorites I'm putting to good use. They're true to size, soft, just enough stretch, and very comfortable.
Front View:

Shop the Look:



Monday Motivation: Closet Cleanout Time

Last week I talked about some things I am banned from buying (here) because I have too many in my closet. The reality is, I haven't done a really thorough closet clean out since June 2015 and I am long overdue for one. The problem is I really struggle with finding motivation for that particular task. Last time it took reading the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" (read my review here) to motivate me to sort, but I couldn't bring myself to read it again even though I needed motivation. Then last Thursday, Rachelle texted Caryl and me with a photo of a bunch of items she had cleaned out of her closet (even some of our favorite Barcelona Camis), and then she kept updating us with some stats on how many pieces she had purged. Well that did it. I think it really helped to see someone in my peer group accomplishing my own goals, even down to some of the exact items hanging in my closet.

Later that afternoon I headed to my closet and found a few more pieces I was ready to put in my donation bin thanks to Rachelle's unintentional push. Then as I set about writing today's post, I re-visited my last post about closet cleaning since it was relevant here, and it gave me a good refresher on the main points I need to consider to keep going. First, my original sorting criteria:
1. Do I still love this?
2. Do I still wear this?
3. If I love it but don't wear it, will I be able to wear it soon-ish?
4. Would I want to buy it if I saw it in the store today?

Then my key lessons from the book:
1. Does it bring you joy? (For me this is quite similar to "do I still love this")
2. Did it already serve its purpose?
3. Did it teach me a lesson?
4. Does it allow me to live in the moment?

I went into more detail on each of the book's lessons and how they helped me personally above in my last post so I won't rehash it here, but I'm glad I documented my thoughts at the time because the highlights were all I really needed to give myself that motivational boost. If you haven't read the book, it might not change your life (it didn't for me). but there's a good chance it will motivate you.

As I kept sorting over the weekend, one of the points above stood out as the biggest issue for me, and that was, "Did it teach me a lesson?" The lesson I learned this time around out is that I need to stop collecting every single color made of any particular item. Yes, even for my long time favorites like Portofino Shirts and Barcelona Camis. I sorted out many of those and have learned that I primarily want the basics/neutrals (e.g. black, white, grey, stripes) and possibly one seasonal/trendy color that suits the season of the item. (e.g. for a sleeveless top it needs to be a Spring/Summer color). My second big lesson is that there are some colors I find difficult to style and probably shouldn't buy anymore because I won't reach for them enough. (If you're curious, for me those are Crayola versions of Red, Blue [not including jeans], Purple, and Yellow.)

If I can't get far enough on my own this time I'm thinking about reading one of Peter Walsh's sorting/organizing books. I used to love him on the TLC Show Clean Sweep, and I really connected with his philosophies. This book of his in particular has great reviews so that's my next plan of attack. If any of you all have read his books or another option besides "The Life Changing Magic" that especially helped you clean out your closet I'd love to hear about it!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

10 comments:

  1. This cami is so cute. Happy to have motivated you to do a closet cleaning. It's so rewarding right?

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man! Now I'm feeling like the third wheel. I guess I need to change that by doing a big purge! I'm proud of you two!!! And I love this stripe combination!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any books other than The Life Changing Magic. I still have a hard time parting with things and usually have a friend come over to hep me purge!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lessons this time around. I don't buy many blue tops either. Not because I don't love the color, I just find it hard to style because it doesn't go as well with regular denim in my opinion. Loving that striped cami with your black and grey!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bold stripes!

    Liv

    livforstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the struggle! I am in desperate need of having to do a closet clean out and I just keep putting it off. Maybeee I'll try this weekend lol! I do however, really like some of the questions you have asked yourself! Never really thought to ask myself if I saw it in store today, would I buy it! Great post Gina!

    Hope you are doing well!

    Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choosing colors of items is one thing I still struggle with. I am drawn to certain colors, but I need to stop myself and figure out if I can style it certain ways and wear it year round. One thing I have learned (but admittedly don't always put into practice) is that you can like a color, but that doesn't mean you have to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, those boots are so cute! I like how you styled them here.

    That is great that Rachelle helped give you the push to clean out your closet. It can seem so overwhelming, but your questions are the right ones to help purge the closet. I also like to invite a friend over for an objective opinion and wine and make an afternoon of it!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  9. In love with the outfit! So great the detail of the neckless!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: BAGPACK & MOON BOOT
    DON'T MISS: WINTER WONDERLAND & GUCCI BELT

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is awesome, congrats! hope you're still going well with it. the lesson thing was the most important for me, and did the item serve it's purpose. i still struggle to step back when something pretty or trendy is calling my name, even though i KNOW i won't wear certain colours or styles, i still think i might if pinterest shows me people wearing them. i don't know. it's weird. i think sometimes i like to think that i have all these clothes and all these different ways to wear things and it will all look fabulous together.. but in reality i wear the same jeans when i'm casual with like 4 or 5 tops, and the same work pants with about 10 tops. there's nothing wrong with that of course, but you know. it's hard not to get swept up in buying things.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!