1/16/17

That Leggings Life + Monday Motivation

|
Over the holidays, I had plenty of reasons to choose leggings as pants. Nowhere important to be, too much food made me feel bloated and not ready for real pants, etc. Now the holidays over, but the leggings have been a hard habit to break! I do make an effort (usually...) to make the overall impression of the outfit "put together" rather than "didn't feel like trying today." I'll let you be the judge of how I did on these three outfits from the past two weeks.

ONE: Grey Plush Jacket + Leggings
Jacket: Express | Tank: Target | Leggings: Express | Earrings: Stella & Dot | Boots: Target | Ring: Stella & Dot | Bag: Amazon (Similar) | Nails: Essie Sole Mate

Outfit Notes:
This jacket is one of my favorite Express pieces of the Winter, and now I've collected all three colors. It can be worn open or closed, and is just a great way to top off an outfit in style without sacrificing comfort. I rounded up my previous outfits with all three colors of this jacket in yesterday's post, and here are the stock photos/links to each jacket since they are listed separately on the website (rather than being listed as three color options of the same jacket). For me all three fit identically and were true-to-size (I'm wearing XS).


Front View:

Shop the Look:


TWO: Trench Coat + Leggings
Trench: Nordstrom Rack (Similar) | Top: Gap | Leggings: Express | Boots: Target (Similar) | Necklace: Stella & Dot (Similar) | Crossbody Bag: Stella & Dot (Similar) | Nails: Essie Sole Mate

Outfit Notes:
This tunic is on the verge of selling out, but I hope they re-stock it because it's so perfect with leggings. See the white version of this tunic (with yet another leggings outfit!) here. For reference, I'm 5'4", so you may have to mentally adjust how long this will be on you depending on your height.

Front View:

Shop the Look:


THREE: Olive Cardigan + Leggings
Sweater: Express (Similar) | Tank: Target | Leggings: ExpressNecklace: Kendra Scott | Bag: c/o Amazon | Boots: Target (Similar) | Ring: Stella & Dot | Bag: c/o Amazon 

Outfit Notes:
Eh. To be honest, I wish I had carried a different bag with this because overall I felt like this outfit was kind of drab (albeit cozy). But live and learn. The weather was drab anyway so I guess it matched that, and I didn't feel like changing bags from the day prior, so it is what it is!

Front View:

Shop the Look:


All Three Outfits:

Monday Motivation

Today I'm kicking off a weekly Monday Motivation series. When New Year's Day rolls around, there are all kinds of blog and social media posts and with goals from people filled with empowering motivation. And it's contagious! I didn't think I was going to make exact goals or resolutions this year but after reading several other people's I decided I really did want to do my own (see it here). I love that motivated feeling and drive for self-improvement, and it's sad and frustrating that it tends to flicker out so quickly. Carrie does a monthly post about her goals and that always inspires me, so this year I'm going to follow suit in my own way.

It's really simple. I'm just going to use a little space here on Mondays to talk motivation...regardless of whether I'm struggling or succeeding in one area or another. Many times just the act of writing things down helps me find the motivation I need, and when I share it with someone else (like this) it gives that extra-motivating element of accountability, and that helps too. So feel free to share your own successes and struggles with me in the comments or in any other way if it helps you too!

Black Belt Motivation: I've previously shared on the blog (e.g. here in my 2016 goals) how I'm training in Tae Kwon Do with my kids. They started several years before me and already have their Black Belts, but something came over me in 2015 that made me decide I need one too. Not only that, but in general I want to train with them and have an activity we do together, not just another activity where I drop them off and watch them/play on my phone/read a book while they practice. (And don't get me wrong, we do those activities too...nothing wrong with it.) Enter 2017 and a major road block to my Black Belt goals. Our studio was sold to a chain of studios and it's like an entirely different planet. What used to feel like a family now feels like a factory. I don't enjoy their class format, I don't feel like I'm training with my kids and with my adult friends the way I used to, their belt ranking puts me three belts away from Black Belt instead of just two, etc. etc. My motivation has been wiped out. I still want a Black Belt and I'm just too close to give up, but I may need to come up with a new plan for getting there, and that's easier said than done!

So that's my motivation confession for the day, and incidentally, justification for wearing leggings because it's so much easier to spontaneously perform martial arts in leggings than in jeans or a dress!



Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

14 comments:

  1. first all these outfits are so well put together so you sure know how to style leggings well. I also love the idea of sharing your goals, I hope you do find a solution because I know you want that black belt and you are so close.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these legging looks are so cute! I love that first jacket! You are so close to getting your black belt! I hope you find a solution - don't give up!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the winter, I wear leggings at least 4 days out of the week (they're actually black workout pants) and so I love these looks, especially the one with the trench coats. I've seen your snaps about your studio and that really sucks. I really do hope you are able to find another studio or something, because you are so close to that goal and it's an awesome goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. even your 'drab' outfit is more put together than i am most days :) ha. i wear leggings a lot because they are just so easy and comfy, and they look cute with boots. i don't have any black jeans that i like right now, so that's why i tend to reach for my leggings more at home/out and about vs blue jeans at work on fridays. i need more jeans, clearly.
    i am sorry about the studio mess you are dealing with right now, i do hope you're able to find a solution. love the monday motivation series! i am normally all about the goals and motivation in january, this january has been a complete and utter mess for me and i'm hoping to get back on track now that things have calmed down at home (she's still got a long way to go, but is improving and sounding like herself now, which is huge!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love that gray plush jacket in the first photo! I tried to shop for some items right before Christmas from Express (my mom always gives me money) and they were out of a lot of colors that I liked, so I am going to maybe pick up some things closer to spring now. Thanks for the callout about my goals post! I love to read about other peoples goals and I can't wait to read more about yours. I am so sorry your studio was bought out, that must be frustrating. The kids studio is owned by a couple in their 30's and it IS very family-like, which I think is why we enjoy it there so much. It is also only 2 miles from our house. Their classes are pretty pricey though, so only my son goes there and my husband was thinking about it, but he is now take Krav Maga classes at a different studio and LOVES it. He says it is sort of similar to karate, but they don't wear actual belts yet still earn them. My son is a blue-white belt right now and just moved over to the advanced karate class. It's been so great for him!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are killing it with your leggings game! I definitely know what you mean when you want to be comfortable yet still look put together without being sloppy. I think these are all super cute outfits! I love that olive cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these are adorable and totally put together...you do leggings the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love leggings, man- they're just too comfy. And totally on trend right now, so it's the best of both worlds!

    I hope you figure out your new studio sitch- I've been following on Snap and it seems so frustrating that they've changed everything up on you! You gotta go for that belt, lady- you are so close!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. The post is wonderful! I love your blog:)

    irinathayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you wear leggings! You always make them look so chic. I especially love that jacket in the first one!

    And I'm so happy you're kicking off this series because I agree that reading about others' goals helps me with mine. Funny how that works! It really is contagious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah!!! I think I need that plush jacket. It's one of the first and only things I have seen since the holidays that is legit calling my name. I shall stalk!
    And you know my sentiments on the studio. I hope it works itself out! I certainly understand your frustration and I would be equally traumatized!!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a chance you're qualified for a free $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teeth Night Guard is offering precise fitting and highest quality custom made dental protectors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!