1/30/17

Spring Plaid + Monday Motivation

|
During the early Fall, I often feel "behind the times" with what I'm wearing because our weather is still warm (if not hot!) and I can't bring myself to dress in fall clothes just for blog purposes. The flip side is that we do get Spring and Summer weather earlier than a lot of places, so I can legitimately wear some of that stuff when stores are rolling it out. And that's exactly how I got to wear this plaid shirt, which was a recent, "this will be great for Spring" purchases.

Top: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Ring: Stella & Dot | Bracelets: Express (Similar) | Boots: c/o Amazon | Bag (Below): c/o Fossil  | Nails: OPI "Let's Be Friends"

Outfit Notes:
I posted about my purchase of this top and jeans not long ago (here) and promised to follow up on them once they arrived, and I guess wearing them together in an outfit is my way of saying I kept  both of these and was really happy with them. This plaid shirt surprised me because the fabric feels 2-ply (I can't think of a better word for it!), which I haven't seen in in an Express top before. I think it helped keep the white fabric from being too sheer, although it didn't add much in terms of warmth because it's still a very lightweight, gauzy fabric.

I also really loved these jeans! They have a frayed hem (which you can't see of course because I have them tucked into boots), but what I really like is the dark wash with slight fading and distressing, and most of all they're very comfortable and flattering. I feel like they suck me in at all the right places but still allow good movement. They ran true to size for me and they are a mid-rise, but I actually felt they were just a tiny bit higher than my other mid-rise jeans from Express. (I'm also wearing them in the first outfit of this post.)

Front View:

Shop the Look:


Returned:
When I purchased the top and jeans in my outfit above I also ordered a third pair of jeans, and I ended up returning them. True to my blog objectives for the year, I wanted to explain why I didn't like them for anyone else considering them.

Normally I like to share a try-on photo, but with these jeans, it was just too cringeworthy to share! Unlike the pair I kept above, these were paper thin, showed every dimple, and held nothing in. The color was also more periwinkle in person than I wanted or expected. I'm still looking to add some lighter wash jeans to my closet but this pair wasn't a winner for me. So I just ordered this lighter wash, moderately distressed pair from the new Eco-Friendly line. For one thing the color and distressing look just right, and for another I'm curious about the Eco-Friendly line in general!

Monday Motivation:

Every Monday I try to keep myself as motivated as I am on New Year's Day by sharing a little bit about the goals I'm working on or the areas of life where I'd like to do better. Today I'm sharing one of the changes I'm making to my fitness routine this year. Last year, I trained myself to do the splits but there is so much more to having a limber body than just being able to perform that one move, and this year I am really motivated to make flexibility an even bigger part of my workout routine. (For an example of what my typical workout routine looked like, you can go to this post.) I've been reading some really good articles (e.g. this one is excellent) about the importance of maintaining flexibility as we age for injury prevention and other benefits. And I've also read some persuasive articles like Why Cardio Sucks and You Don't Need to Do It (yep, that's really the name of it!) that have me thinking cutting back cardio and adding in more flexibility training is a good choice for me.

While I do have a few favorite Yoga and Stretch DVDs (posted here), I recently bought a couple of additional options (under $15 each) so I don't get bored doing the same few DVDs over and over.

Power Yoga Options

I don't have complete reviews of these yet since I just got them and have only done one segment (Workout Three) of the Bryan Kest DVD and I can tell you it was the toughest Yoga workout I have ever attempted. Wow. I wanted a challenge and I got it. I thought Bryan did a good job cueing the moves, but to be honest I didn't like watching this DVD and would only glance quickly at the TV if I needed to see whether  I was doing something correctly. The outfits Bryan and the background exercisers were wearing were...distracting. Byran's hair was distracting when it wasn't pulled back. And he was a very touchy-feely instructor with his cast and I didn't care for that either. But aside from that, his pointers and commentary were good, and the workout itself was very challenging and unlike any of my others, which is exactly what I wanted.

I will keep you all posted again after I attempt the Rodney Yee workout!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. this plaid is so good, if I didn't have SO MANY plaid shirt already I would get it. I have to check out these articles and cannot wait for a review of these dvds, I've been doing the same one every week so I need some variety.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my plaid collection is not too big yet so I felt justified with this. :) And I will definitely review the second DVD once I do it.

      Delete
  2. That is such a good plaid top, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that plaid top! I need to check out those yoga DVD's. I go once a week to a studio but want to do more at home.

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only done Buti Yoga in a studio before and at some point I really want to try a more traditional yoga class in a studio! That's great that you go once a week!

      Delete
  4. Haha. Touchy-feely. That would drive me nuts too. I am curious about the second yoga DVD. That is something I want to try this year. I have never done yoga! And thanks for featuring this plaid shirt. I "need" this one now (I really don't need another plaid shirt but we know how this goes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep you posted on the other DVD! And I'm pretty sure all of us who have or read blogs/fashion-Insta accounts don't really "need" any more clothes, so you're in good company. :) My love for yoga keeps growing so hopefully you can find a yoga workout that clicks with you. They vary so much!

      Delete
  5. Cute looks!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh those jeans are pretty! i love the colouring. i don't know how i feel about the hem on me though.
    i love cardio, so i'm gonna skip that article. haha. okay, i lied. i read it. i understand where he's coming from but i don't agree. lol
    hmmm the yoga dvd sounds good in an intense way, but all the other things about touchy feely and distracting outfits.. i'll skip lol. i like to use youtube for yoga videos because i can switch it up a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love cardio, that's another story! I love dance and (sometimes) martial arts and I can't really say those are good for my body or doing anything in particular for my physique, but they're great for my mental health so I keep doing them.

      Delete
  7. There is a place for thin denim, but not super thin! We need some coverage! Love the darker pair you have on though. I should check them out next time I am at the mall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give them a try- they are great!

      Delete
  8. I love the plaid shirt! And I did that Bryan Kest DVD when I was doing a lot of yoga. I liked it but totally agree with your review: his hair was distracting and he was a little too touchy feely.
    Also, I've studied a lot about body biomechanics and what our bodies need to function well. The biomechanics experts agree that we do need lots of walking to help many different body systems function well. So though some do too much cardio at the expense of strength/stretch, we do need some walking at least! Katy Bowman at www.nutritiousmovement.com is a great resource on that.






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you felt the same about Bryan Kest! I think if I get more familiar with the workout I won't have to look at the TV and it will be fine. Ha!

      Also, love the info on walking! That really makes a lot of sense to me on a number of levels. I like the POV that it's not just about elevating your heart rate, but assisting other body functions. I read a couple of articles on her blog (under "walking" and "new here? Start here!") and I appreciate her points and am excited to learn. Funny but I always do feel different and healthier when I've done a lot of walking (outdoors in particular), whether it's on a trip with the family or just at an outdoor mall.

      Delete
  9. Love your plaid shirt! I only have my one from the brand rails (which I wear all the time bevayse damn was it expensive) but I really love the coloring in this one. Great jeans too!

    And yessssss all the way for less cardio! I hate it with a passion, even though I've tried running in the past. I see more results from weights and strength training :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle! I know which shirt you are talking about and it is a good one!

      Delete
  10. Yoga is something I've been wanting to try. I have taken some classes, but it has been a long time. I really love that spring plaid top! We seem to get some surprise days that are warm here in STL starting in February! I need to check out those jeans with the frayed edges. I need to get some new jeans, some of my favorite pairs are getting old and I just need to replace them. I saw another post about a pair of jeans being paper thin! I don't get that when they are jeans and would have some thickness to them, but I'll def. stay away from that pair!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is so hit or miss for me with all the different styles and instructors. Hope you're able to find something you enjoy!

      Delete
  11. Spring plaid is the best! This top looks great on you and those boots were really a good addition to your closet!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for trying out a yoga video! I can't wait to hear your review of them. For some reason I never have good luck with yoga DVD's, but can do yoga on youtube with no problem. Weird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!