12/9/16

Outfit Recap + Favorite Holiday Cookie Recipe

|
This month is just zooming by and I feel way behind the eight ball. I haven't purchased any Christmas presents, my house has no decorations, I haven't ordered holiday cards or even listened to any Christmas carols, etc. etc. If I don't have a lot of content here next week (beyond Part Two of my holiday collaboration) feel free to take it as a sign that I'm trying to get caught up on some other parts of my life! But as for today, it's blog-business as usual with an Outfit Recap and Friday Favorites (er...actually just one favorite!):

Outfit Recap

ONE:
Jacket: Maurice's (Similar) | Cami: ExpressJeans: Express | Shoes: Amazon | Bag: Amazon | Necklace: Amazon

Shop the Look:


TWO:
Jacket: Express | Tee: Macy's | Jeans: Express (Similar) | Shoes: Express | Bag: Amazon (Similar) | Necklace: Express (Similar) | Short Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift) | Bracelet: ShoeDazzle | Ring: Stella & Dot

Shop the Look:


THREE:
Tee:Shoedazzle (Limited Sizes in white, Similar white option) | Jeans: Express (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Boots: Amazon | Bag (shown on Insta): c/o Fossil | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks

Shop the Look:



FOUR:
Jacket: Express (Similar) | Tee: Target | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Amazon | Bag: Amazon | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Pendant: Express | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks

Shop the Look:


Front View:
Individual Front View Outfits Here

Favorite Cookie Recipe of the Season:



Way back in September I talked about a molasses sandwich cookie my son got at a local bakery and how I wanted to re-create it at home. It took about a month of trial and error to get a recipe to my liking and by this point I don't even know if it's that close to what we had in the bakery! It ultimately became a quest to get a recipe that I liked rather than just duplicating the original. Anyway, that's a long way of saying I have been making these cookies consistently for months now and they are The Favorite in my home. My kids don't ask for chocolate chip cookies or any other kind since I started making these. As I explained in the recipe, the flour measurement seems to vary a little with each batch (could be related to the butter temperature or any number of other factors) so that will take some experimenting on your part if you try them. But they are perfect for Fall and the holidays and make your home smell amazing. If you want to try something new for yourself or to give to friends and neighbors this year, here's the recipe I've been using:

Molasses Sandwich Cookies
1 c. butter (room temperature)
2 c. white sugar
1/3 c. molasses
2 eggs
3 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
3 – 3 ½ c. flour

Mix together butter, sugar, molasses and eggs. Then mix in baking soda, salt, and spices. Gradually add one cup of flour at a time, mixing it into dough after each added cup. After three cups of flour have been added, test if the dough is too sticky to roll out. If it sticks all over your hands when you try to roll it into a ball, add ¼ cup of flour and try again, then one more time if needed. (This takes some experimenting to get it right and the total flour I use each time varies.) Roll cookies into balls and bake on parchment paper at 350° F for 9-11 minutes. After cookies have completely cooled, enjoy on their own or make them into sandwich cookies with frosting in the middle. I use this Fluffy Frosting Recipe via Real Life at Home, but these might also be good with cream cheese frosting. Unfortunately I'm the only person in my family who likes cream cheese frosting so vanilla it is in our house!

* * *
Well, I hope you're all doing better at staying on top of things this holiday season than I am! Hopefully I'll get a little more done this weekend, but if nothing else I'll get my post done for Tuesday's holiday series!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

13 comments:

  1. by some miracle I have most of my Christmas shopping done, this year I seem to be excited about the holidays so we'll see. Loving all your outfits this week and these cookies sound amazing, if only I could trust myself with a batch of cookies.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  2. My house is decorated but I'm behind on shopping and as far as cards, they will have to be New Years cards this year. Those cookies sound delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you grind the cloves up? I am thinking they are big, aren't they? I'm so curious because I've never made cookies with them in it before. I have 2 cookie exchanges this weekend and still haven't decided what to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchase cloves from the spice section of the grocery store and they are pre-ground! :) as far as your question below for how many cookies that makes, that's hard to answer. it depends a lot on how large you roll out the balls of dough! As well as whether you mean final sandwich cookies (where you're basically using two cookies for every one sandwich) or individual molasses cookies. I like to roll the balls out very small since it still gives a good serving when all is said and done. I've never really counted but I would guess that I typically end up with 20 to 25 sandwich cookies. (Sorry, I am clearly not the best food blogger!!)

      Delete
  4. Also how many does this make aprox? 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally with you. I meant to put up my tree after thanksgiving and it's still not up and now I'm feeling like it never will. Oops! Not sure why I'm not in the holiday spirit!! Love that camo jacket outfit so much! The burgundy moto jacket outfit is also a fave!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck getting in the holiday spirit! We dont really have many decorations since we just bought our house this year, so we look like the scrooges in our neighborhood. You're not alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am such a huge fan of molasses cookies, and my whole family likes sandwich cookies. I need to try these! They look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made sandwich cookies before, but I should try your recipe! I do make sugar and gingerbread cookies EVERY year with homemade icing and I look forward to them! I was so behind on Christmas shopping and nothing bought so I set time aside to spend an ENTIRE day on getting it done... and I did! Now... I'm behind on the wrapping game! lol!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! I will try it! I am behind with everything! Goal, to get more organized next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of these looks but especially outfit one! And don't worry about being behind on decorating. December always flies by. I'm sure you'll get everything done that you want to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i went crazy and ordered all my christmas gifts online last week, and i only have a few gift cards to buy, and KC's grandma who is the HARDEST PERSON IN THE WORLD to shop for. but other than that, no decorations or songs over here. and i don't do cards. maybe one day. i feel like i am behind on life, not just holiday life, and have done for like 2 months. hopefully the new year will be the reset i need.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!