12/6/16

Holiday Red-y

|
For the next two weeks I'm teaming up with a group of my favorite bloggers to share some holiday style inspiration. This week, the five of us are talking all about how we style red. I joke a lot about how I only wear red for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and the 4th of July because I do tend to think of it as a bold and festive color. In and of itself I love the color red, but it's one I find challenging to style (more on that in this this post).

The easiest way for me to work red into my wardrobe is with a handbag, so I'm pretty sure the #1 red piece I'll be using this holiday season is my little red crossbody bag from Express. I just wore it with this exact outfit to a the opening party of a local photography studio recently:
Sweater: Express | Bralette: Express (Similar) | Necklace: Express (Similar) | Skirt: Express (Similar) | Boots: Amazon | Bracelet: Express (Exact style, my color sold out) | Red Crossbody: Express (Similar)

Shop the Look:


My exact bag is a couple of years old but there are plenty of current options available. All of the bags below are from Amazon and under $30, which is perfect when you don't want to break the bank to give your outfit a holiday look. Option One is most similar in size and shape to mine, although if I were to get a new one this year I'd probably go with two or three for a little more space.


Holiday Red-y Handbags
Top Row: One | Two | Three 
Bottom Row: Four | Five

I tend to have more casual vs. formal gatherings during the holidays, and I can easily take most of the outfit pieces above and put them to work in an outfit that has a slightly more casual feel:

Sweater: Express | Bralette: Express (Similar) | Jeans: ExpressNecklace: Express (Similar) |Bracelet: Express (Exact style, my color sold out) | Red Crossbody: Express (Similar) | Shoes: Amazon

Shop the Look:


Last but not least, I wanted to show an outfit with the red bag and some of my closet staples. If you've followed me for awhile you know the white Barcelona Cami is my number one Closet Staples. I wasn't entirely sold on grey jeans as a staple when I first bought them (read about the top three ways to style them here), but they definitely are one for me now! And pretty much every wardrobe "must have" list includes a black blazer! I rarely agree with those lists 100% but the black blazer is one piece I won't dispute.
Blazer: Express | Cami: Express | Jeans: Express | Bracelet: Express (Similar)| Red Crossbody: Express (Similar) | Shoes: Amazon | Necklace: Amazon

Shop the Look:


Admittedly, none of my looks scream HOLIDAYS, but that's what suits me because I'm not really the most festive person anyway! I like just a touch of festive so I don't have to purchase a lot of pieces that only work one month of the year and then store them the other eleven months.  I talked about faking Fall style for my warm climate here, and I guess I do the same thing with faking festive style. I guess I'll have to start using #FakingFestive on Instagram!

Here's the front view of each of these outfits:

To see how each of the ladies in this collaboration are styling red this holiday season, stop by their blogs using the links below this image or to make your way through each blog in the series head Pinksole next!

Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

12 comments:

  1. I'm like you and much prefer to add a pop of red to my outfit, I only have one bright red top.

    xo
    Pinksole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep telling myself I need a red bag, love how you incorporate it into your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have much red in my closet and prefer to style it in pops too. Love your cute red bag! It's perfect for the holidays!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sequin skirt is too good! Love seeing the pops of strappies under the sweater! And you really can't go wrong with red pops!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that criss cross top and that sequined skirt- so cute for the holidays!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the criss cross detailing on that sweater, and of course how you incorporated a pop of festive red with that bag. LOVE <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the subtle nod to the holidays with your red bag. I prefer not to go all out with a Mrs. Claus outfit or anything. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not the biggest fan of red, but a red handbag is brilliant for the holidays. clearly i need one. ha. i know a lot of people who can wear full on red, i am not one of them lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red is tricky! I also prefer it in small doses, and a bag is the best way to do it! I love all three looks but you know my favorite is definitely the skirt option :) you look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a lot of red in my closet either, although I do like it on me. It is just a very bold color. I have a red sweater and it is nice to get out this time of year. I actually asked my hubby for a red bag for Christmas (fingers crossed). I think it'll be nice for the holiday season and Valentine's Day (and other outings!).

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love little pops of red! I have a red crossbody bag too and get quite a bit of use out of it! I'm not one for a a huge pop of red in my outfits! Love your purse!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pop of red to this outfit! I need to get myself a red handbag!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    Stylin In St. Louis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!