9/14/16

Denim Jacket and Family Movie Night

|
Today marks the three year anniversary of this blog, and every year of blogging has taken me in a slightly different content direction than the year before. I didn't plan it that way, I've just gone with the flow based on feedback (whether by page views or comments on any given post) and/or what I felt was worth sharing at the time. For the most part my outfit posts get the most page views, but my "random life stuff" seems to get the most genuine engagement. So how about a little of each today?

OOTD: Denim Jacket + Skirt
Jacket: Nordstrom | Skirt: Express (Similar) | Tank: Target (Maternity for length) | Sandals: Nordstrom | Necklace: Nordstrom | Bracelet: Express | Bag: c/o Fossil

Shop the Look:


After all of my reluctance to wear a denim jacket (more about that here and here) I am really loving the one I finally purchased. It's fitted but also very soft, comfortable and easy to move in. I was a little worried that the light wash might not work as well for Fall, but with the right color pairings I think it will work. Here are my outfits with this jacket plus one option for cooler weather:


All Four Outfit Details:

One:
Jacket: Nordstrom | Skirt: Express (Similar) | Tank: Target (Maternity for length) | Sandals: Nordstrom | Necklace: Nordstrom | Bracelet: Express | Bag: c/o Fossil

Two:
Jacket: Nordstrom | Tank: Target (Similar) | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Express | Bag: Amazon (Similar) | Shoes: Express

Three:
Jacket: Nordstrom | Dress: Express (Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bag: Danielle Nicole | Sandals: Sam Edelman

Four:
Jacket: Nordstrom | Tank: Target | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Shorts: Target (Similar) | Bag: c/o Danielle Nicole (Similar) | Sandals: Target

Family Movie Night Favorites
Today I'm joining Erika and Shay to talk about Favorite Movies. Their specific theme is three movies they would take if they were stranded on a desert island, but truly my answer to that question is none! I'm not much into movies and I don't think I would miss them if I had to do without for awhile. That said, we've been trying to have a regular "Family Movie Night" with our boys (ages 9 and 11) on the weekend, and it's really challenging to find something that all four of us can enjoy.

Reference Lists:
After polling friends and family who have kids of similar ages (and gender most of the time since that often plays a role in movie tastes) for some of their favorites, I also scour the lists on these sites for ideas and movie reviews.
1. Rotten Tomatoes
2. Common Sense Media
3. Timeout

80s Favorites:
We love sharing some of our childhood favorites with our kids (and a lot of them I hadn't even seen again since childhood) and seeing them enjoy them just as much as we did!
1. E.T.
2. The Karate Kid
3. Back to the Future
4. Adventures in Babysitting (some content on this was borderline inappropriate for my kids so if you're on the conservative side I wouldn't recommend it)
5. The Goonies

Pleasant Surprises:
The first two of these came from the lists above and we didn't expect to enjoy them as much as we did.
1. Akeelah and the Bee
2. Bridge to Terabithia (Warning: this one made me cry a lot, but it was good.)


Kids Liked, Parents Didn't
Again these were all recommendations from the Family Movie lists above. For us these ended up being "Kid Movies" that didn't hold adult interest.
1. Iron Giant
2. The Parent Trap (updated Lindsay Lohan version)
3. Zathura

On Repeat:
There are a few movies that we don't necessarily sit and watch as a family anymore but if someone puts it on, someone else in the house ends up watching all or part. The first three make us laugh every time and are easily the most-quoted movies in our house.
1. Elf
2. The Lego Movie
3. Napoleon Dynamite
4. Star Wars (All Episodes)

There have been several others we enjoyed (e.g. Jumanji, X-Men, The Wizard of Oz) so despite saying I'm not a movie person, it was kind of hard to narrow down this list! If you have any additional recommendations that your family loved (even a TV series would be great) I'd love to hear them in the comments!


Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

19 comments:

  1. Happy Blogversary! I always look forward to your posts! Love the wash of your denim jacket! Elf and Napoleon Dynamite are two of our favorites too! Have a wonderful day!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogversary! Thats always the most exciting time ever! I loved this post today! That denim jacket is so fab and I love all the ways you styled it so fab!
    xoxo,Victoria
    www.coffeeandablonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog anniversary! I love that denim jacket. It's so versatile!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing how you have enjoyed and styled your denim jacket since getting one. All four looks are equally stylish! I have such fond memories of family movie night from when I was a kid. Some of the older movies are still the best!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I feel like the movies from my childhood are better than the ones now, but maybe every generation feels that way?

      Delete
  5. Digging that jacket, lady- so good!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not much of a movie person, either. We did just watch Young Frankenstein. The inappropriate humor went over my daughter's head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch that movie all the time as a kid! (And yes, the inappropriate humor went right over my head, too! Who knew there were two meanings for "knockers"? Ha!!) Thanks for the suggestion- I will add that to my list!

      Delete
  7. I can't get enough of my denim jacket, but finding the right one can be tough! Yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love how you mixed up the denim jacket! so cute with the fringe jacket!


    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wear my denim jacket with every outfit too! I really like your grey fringed dress, so pretty!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw a thumbnail of your Mila Kunis post and you in a dark wash denim jacket! I didn't realize I had seen you in one before! Ha! HAPPY THREE YEARS!!! That is such a long time in blog years. So happy you started and still extra excited that you found a denim jacket that works for you. I agree that your wash will certainly work in the fall!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! :) I have two boys as well. We love many of the movies you've mentioned. Some lesser knowns that they've loved are Thunderbirds, Sky High, Zoom Academy, and Mega Mind. We've also love watching Nacho Libre, Parental Guidance, Alexander and the No Good, Very Bad Day, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Ratatouille, and The Odd Life of Timothy Green. They've also enjoyed some with female leads like Charolotte's Web, Ramona and Beezus, Because of Winn Dixie, and the Anne of Green Gables series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary on your blog!! You just got one more follower! ;-) - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has it been 3 years? My goodness, look how much you've accomplished Gina! Congrats! I of course read here religiously and always enjoy your content. Here's to many more years to come!

    As for the denim jacket, I don't wear mine often even though it's honestly very comfy and similar in color to yours. I need to incorporate it more especially with dresses. Your outfits look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy 3 years! i am super nosy and just actually really like you haha so i love random life stuff! but of course i always like your outfits too. oh i really liked Bridge to Terabithia when i saw it, and the parent trap used to be a huge favourite of mine (original or lindsay lohan lol).
    on one hand, i'm not a big movie person either.. but on the other completely hypocritical hand, i totally am. i have a few favourites, and some i watch time and time again. but i wouldn't be sad if you told me i couldn't watch movies for a year.
    it's been like 20 years since i've seen ET and i am not sure i have ever seen the goonies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, three years into blogging! That's so wonderful. I've heard that most people give up before the end of the first year so congrats!!! Your outfits just ARE that great!! xo-S

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!