8/9/16

Summer Survival: Olympics

|
Welcome to Week Two of our Coast-to-Coast Summer Survival Series! This week, we're talking about the Summer Olympics, and I suppose "survival" isn't exactly the right word to describe how I experience the Olympics since I really enjoy watching them! But they do make it easier to survive the end of summer by providing great entertainment and inspiring performances!

Hands down, my favorite thing to watch during the Olympics is the Women's Gymnastics competition. The qualifying rounds aired on Sunday, and the women's team competition is today! I have to admit that the internet has changed my Olympics watching a little bit. It's too hard to wait until NBC shows the competition during Prime Time TV to find out the results of an event that ended hours earlier!

If you're a newer reader to my blog thanks to this series, one of the things I often do here is look for outfit inspiration in every which way from celebrities (like this Celebrity Mom Style post) to Barbies to Cake. For this week's Olympics theme, I looked for outfit inspiration from all of the current members of Team USA Gymnastics and let me tell you, those girls don't get out much! I read in this article that Simone Biles trains thirty hours per week! Her wardrobe probably consists of leotards and pajamas only, because I know I would be exhausted if I worked out that many hours per day!

That said, after the Olympic games the girls do get out a bit, and some go on to leverage their gymnastics fame for TV appearances, etc. I imagine that choosing outfits for events where they are not competing is a little outside their comfort zone, and for these four previous All-Around Gold Medal winners, Black and White is a go-to combo.

Go-to Color Combo of Champions: Black and White
Nastia LiukinShawn Johnson | Gabby Douglas Nadia Comaneci

While I can't relate to any personal achievements on an Olympic level, I can at least relate to a transitioning lifestyle and re-building a wardrobe to go with it! I went into more detail about how I built my wardrobe in this post, and even now that I'm past the "building" phase I still reach for classic black and white often and tend to purchase those colors first when I try something new. Here are four of my black-and-white looks from the past year. I'm primarily linking to currently available pieces, with just a few similar options linked for sold-out ("older") items when I could find one at a reasonable price point.

ONE:
Top: Express | Short Necklace: c/o Kendra Scott (Platinum Drusy) | Long Necklace: Forever 21 (Similar) | Jeans: Express | Shoes: Amazon | Bag: Amazon (Similar) | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift)

TWO:
Top: Express (Similar) | Shorts: J Crew Factory | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bag: AmazonShoes: Sam Edelman "Sutton" (Similar) | Watch: c/o Fossil | Bracelet: Forever 21 (Similar) | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift)

THREE:
Top: Nordstrom Rack | Necklace: LOFT (Similar) | Jeans: Express (Similar) | Shoes: Forever 21 |
Bag: c/o Danielle Nicole | Watch: Fossil | Bracelets: Express

FOUR:
Jacket: Express | Tee: Express (Similar) | Jeans: ExpressNecklace: c/o Kendra Scott | Booties: Express (Similar) | Bag: Amazon

Front View:

Besides gymnastics, I also love to watch diving and I'll definitely be watching Tae Kwon Do this year too. (It's not what you're thinking! If you watched the Opening Ceremonies, you know what I mean...) My boys and I both train in Tae Kwon Do and knowing so much more about the sport for this Olympics than I ever have in the past, I'm excited to watch a competition at this level and get motivated to work a little harder. (He won't even be wearing that outfit, okay??)

If you're following through our coast-to-coast blog hop, head all the way across the lower 48 and then on down to Miami for Rachelle's take on this week's theme, or simply use the links above to meet each blogger in this series!

And before you go, don't forget the Tory Burch + MacBook Air Giveaway is still open so head on over for you chance to enter!


Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci | JoLynne |  Lindsey | Alison

CONVERSATION

12 comments:

  1. I soon as I saw this guy coming out in the ceremony I knew he would go viral lol. Loving your b&w outfit, all so chic.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gymnastics is my favorite too! You look so chic in black + white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I love it all! We have the Olympics on right now! I am sure my son would love to watch the Tae Kwon Do, too! I love how you paired a neutral colored shoe with all of your b/w outfits!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wearing black and white. Always a chic combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gymnastics, swimming and diving are my favorites! Love all of this black and white inspiration!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously though. I want my lipgloss to look nice and shiny and wet like that, but I can't. He got his whole body like that! Haha!! Anyhoo - this was a fun read. I loved seeing them in their "real" outfits and omg 30 hours a week. I guess I shouldn't complain about my 15 Pilates classes!!
    Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to say that B&W are my go-to colours too when I realised I haven't worn anything in that palette in ages!! So thank you for this gentle nudge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gymnastics has and always will be my favorite Olympic sport! I'm so in awe of the things the body can do! That being said, can you believe I haven't watched any of it this year? I'll have to YouTube it lol. Love your black and white outfits...always chic no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahahaha i didn't watch the opening ceremonies so i had to click on that link and now i hope i haven't missed the event ;) he's so shiny lol.
    i am not super into the olympics to be honest - we held them in 2000 and it was insane (when i say we, i of course had nothing to do with it and was still in high school) and i feel like i am still recovering! haha. but we have it on all day, KC gets super into everything. I normally read and then look up when they actually start doing stuff (or KC is like look look watch this!) and I am always in awe of how talented people are at different things. Swimming is my favourite to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. B&W for the win!!!


    I’m excited to start a two-peat collaboration with Los Angeles-based brand TOBI this week at the blog via a sexy outfit – come check it out & lemme know what you think!

    Happy Wednesday!

    Rebecca
    http://www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Black and white is always classic chic! My favorite is your third look <3

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving color so much, I always want to incorporate that, but whenever I use black and white together, I surprise myself--though simple--how stunning it can really be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!