8/4/16

Outfits on the Daily + Favorites 8/4/16

|
Sorry to make you think it's Friday by posting my outfit recap on a Thursday! For this week it worked a little better with my real-life happenings and since I had the post done I figured hey, why not? No one will miss anything if they stop by on Friday instead! After the outfit recap I'm sharing my top Yoga and Stretching DVDs, plus my Nordstrom Anniversary Sale confession! (And if you stopped by early today and it looked like half the post was missing...it was! Sorry about that! It showed on my end but there was some coding issue. That's what I get for posting early, eh?)

Outfit Recap:

ONE:
Sweater: Express (Similar) | Dress: Express | Long Necklace: Local Boutique (Option) | Short Necklace: Kendra Scott | Bag: Tory Burch (Similar) | Sandals: Nordstrom | Ring: Express (Similar)

TWO:
Top: Express | Jean Shorts: Target (Similar) | Shoes: Forever 21Bag: c/o Fossil |  Necklace: J Crew (Similar) | Watch: c/o Fossil | Bracelets: Express | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift)

THREE:
Top: Express | Shorts: J Crew FactoryBag: Amazon | Shoes: Nordstrom Rack | Necklace: Kendra Scott (Similar) | Bracelet: Charmed Stacks

FOUR:
Tee: Nordstrom Rack | Shorts: Target | Necklace: Express (Similar) | Bag: c/o Fossil | Sandals: Nordstrom | Bracelets: Charmed Stacks


Front View:
Individual Front View Outfits Available here

Favorite Workout DVDs for Yoga + Stretching: 
I shared my complete list of home workout DVDs back here, and since I've been working out at home for eleven years now, my collection has grown to a point that's probably a little overwhelming for someone just getting started with home workouts. For the past few weeks I've tried to narrow it down a few favorites in different categories:

My Favorite Weight Training DVDs: Here
My Favorite Cardio DVDs (Step, Kickboxing and Floor Cardio): Here

This week I'm finishing with the last category of DVDs I use, Yoga and Stretching. (Click the name of the DVD underneath the photo for link to purchase, or use the Shop the Workouts widget below.)

Yoga:

When I first tried this workout Eoin's quirky (but zen) commentary was a little surprising and had me thinking, "What did he just say?" but now it's something I've grown to enjoy and it kind of makes me laugh. Now that I've done a few of his workouts I get that he loves yoga but doesn't take himself to seriously. I just love the balance between "effort and surrender" (his words) in this workout. I'm working hard but getting such a great, deep stretch, particularly in the hip flexors, glutes and IT band in a way that no other workout I've tried has done. If I have time, the Magically Hips workout is my favorite option, but The Quickie and Daily Dose of Bliss are great too if I'm shorter on time.

MTV Power Yoga with Kristin McGee

If you want your yoga workout to be a good workout, this is a great DVD. The music is more contemporary and not at all what you typically hear in a yoga workout, which is exactly why I like it. Sometimes it just suits my mood better. The same goes for the instructor. Her style is less namaste and more direct. She speaks like she's having a regular conversation with a friend rather than like she's trying to touch you on a deep, spiritual level.

Stretching:
Get Bent with Kristina Nekyia

If you are specifically trying to improve your splits or backbend, this is an excellent DVD for that as those are the two main areas of focus for the stretches. This is all about warming up, strengthening, and opening the muscles used for splits and back bends. If you are a long way from achieving the splits, I recommend starting with Kristina's DVD Bendy Body instead.


This is a very thorough, advanced, full body stretch DVD. The run time is one hour, seventeen minutes, and I rarely have time to do the whole thing in its entirety in one sitting, but it's probably the best, most complete stretching DVD I own. It has a Chapter Menu so I can customize the workout and select specific sections to fit my needs, but my peeve is that each time I go back to the Chapter Menu I have to re-watch the FBI Warning. But it was still a great purchase and worth the money! If you don't consider your flexibility to be advanced, I would start with Lastics (by the same instructor) instead.

Shop the Workout



What's New August: #NSale Purchases

Another reason I'm posting a day early this week is so I can join Gretchen and Kristen for "What's New" August. This year I must confess I gave in to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale and purchased two Kendra Scott pieces, so those are my "what's new" items for the month! The Rae pendant in Outfit Three above is completely sold out in every color, everywhere. I also purchased an Elisa necklace that I haven't received yet (in Pyrite/Rose Gold), and there are a few options left in that style at the Anniversary Sale pricing, which ends on Monday!

* * *
That's all for this week friends! I'm "taking off" tomorrow in a very non-literal sense for a reunion with my sisters who are all coming to San Diego for a few days. I hope you have a great time with your friends and family and I'll see you back on Tuesday for the next round of the Summer Survival Series!


Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne |  Lindsey | Alison

CONVERSATION

17 comments:

  1. all cute outfits and I love your workout dvd collection, it's so thorough. lastics is really amazing, I didn't do it for two weeks next time I went back to it I lost almost all my progress. It's a shame because I could actually see my progress before that :( But I know I can get there again :) but it's really not for beginners, it's hard.

    xo
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good timing for a weekend with sisters: the weather's been much better lately! If you do anything special that you'd recommend (activity, restaurant), maybe share those good ideas? Really like your first two outfits in the post. I have that Express dress; did you find it needed to be altered? The neckline seemed to hang low in front on my petite frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the SD travel/Staycation guide and will definitely work that in soon. As for the racerback dress, I did not alter it but I do have to be mindful of the top and adjust it/hike it up periodically. It is a little bigger than the bottom half for sure. Altering it would be ideal, I just didn't want to spend the money on it since I figured it would cost almost as much to alter as I spent on the dress!

      Delete
  3. Great pick with the necklace! I own ZERO kendra scott items, but I love how beautiful and simple her designs are. It's probably too late to get any in the sale but I'll check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pink bag in the third look!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i hope you have a fabulous time with your sisters, how fun!
    that Elisa Pendant is so pretty! i'm still staying strong so i won't click on it... but workout dvds totally don't count as shopping and the first 2 yoga ones sound perfect. yoga is definitely a workout i can (and only) do at home.
    thanks for linking up with us girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so bad about stretching and need to be more diligent about it to help with my overall flexibility. That necklace is so pretty and perfect for layering.

    Thank you for hosting and hope you are having a fab week!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been holding out on purchasing anything from the sale but I really love the KS necklaces! Thanks for sharing your workout DVDs - you have a great collection! I need more yoga/stretching DVDs. Have a fun weekend with your sisters!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your outfits are always so cute! And I think I need to get back into yoga!

    Rachel's Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great outfits! I always love seeing which shoes you pick. I tried prenatal yoga last week and enjoyed it. Have a good weekend!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these outfit, looks perfect for work! Love the leo bag to the first outfit, so good! Xx

    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that rose gold Elisa pendant in person and it is stunning! You will be be so happy with it. I was really disappointed with the selection this year but I do love what I did get ;) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so inspiring! I love the post:)

    www.irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm obsessed with your cheetah print bag from the first photo! I always love cheetah print as a pop of excitement for more plain outfits :)

    The Daily Delicacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved reading about your stretch and yoga DVD preferences. I will definitely be checking them out! I've just been searching YouTube for things that look interesting. It's nice to have a real person perspective on specific DVDs!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!