7/22/16

Outfits on the Daily + Favorites 7/22/16

|
After a little fitness blogging detour this week I'm back to the regular outfit posts...mostly! Since it's Friday Favorites day I decided that in addition to the usual outfit recap I would share a few of my favorite workout DVDs in various categories. I've shared my entire list of workouts (here) but that's probably a little overwhelming for anyone just getting started with home workouts. So hopefully this list will narrow it down a little and we can officially get back to normal next week!

Outfit Recap:

One:

Jacket: Nordstrom | Dress: Express (In Store Only, Similar) | Necklace: Kendra Scott  | Sandals: Sam Edelman | Bag: Danielle Nicole | Ring: Stella & Dot

Shop the Look:

Two:
Cami: Express | Shorts: Old Navy (Similar) | Short Necklace: Kendra Scott | Long Necklace: Stella & Dot | Ring: Nordstrom | Bag: Kohls (Similar) | Sandals: Sam Edelman | Nails: Essie Blanc

Shop the Look:


Three:

Top: Express | Shorts: J. Crew | Sandals: Nordstrom | Bag: Amazon | Bracelet: Charmed Stacks | Necklace: Kendra Scott

Shop the Look:


Four:

Tee: Nordstrom Rack (Similar) | Shorts: Target | Sandals: Nordstrom | Bag: Tory Burch (Option) | Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift, Budget Version) | Ring: Express (Similar)

Shop the Look:


Front View:


Favorite Weight Lifting DVDs:
If I only could go back in time, I would completely redo the way I have presented all of the fitness content on the blog! Over the last couple of years I've just answered questions as they came up so the result is a lot of scattered information, like this week's Q&A posts One and Two. It's a little too late to fix it now, so I'll just carry on with the scattered approach and highlight a few of my current and all-time favorite weight training DVDs in no particular order.

All are Intermediate to Advanced Level. (Click the DVD name for link to purchase.)

Cathe Friedrich Muscle Max
Higher-rep, total body weights DVD that works every muscle group thoroughly! The Premix Menu makes it easy to split this into multiple workouts (e.g. Upper Body and Lower Body), which is what I prefer to keep the workout duration under an hour.

Amy Bento Drop Set Strength 
Requires minimal equipment (just several sets of dumbbells) and has some unique, very effective movements. I use the Chapter Menu to split it into multiple workouts since I like to keep my workouts under an hour, but the Leg Segment is only about 20 minutes (not including warm up), so I do all of the exercises twice to really make it burn.

Cathe Pyramid Series
This might have been my first weight training workout by Cathe, and I still reach for it ten years later! Classic weight training movements for Upper and Lower Body (in two separate workouts on one DVD) with a killer ab workout too.

Cathe Ripped with Hiit: Lift it Hiit It
This is everything I like a weight training DVD to be! It's a 3-Day body part split (my preference), and each workout is complete and thorough in under and hour. This comes as a part of a 7 DVD set, and I also love the cardio DVDs in this set but I'll go over that next week. There are two in the set that I don't really like or use (HiiT Circuit for Upper and Lower Body), but it was still more cost effective to buy the full set than the individual workouts in my case. For just the three weights workouts that I like, you can check out the individual DVD options for Legs, Chest Triceps Shoulders, and Back Biceps

Cathe Gym Style Series: Legs | Chest and Triceps | Back, Shoulders, Biceps
This is from Cathe's "Hardcore Series" and it's appropriately named! I think this might be the most challenging workout series I own because I still cannot complete some parts. (e.g. 72 push-ups in the Chest and Triceps workout!) But if you're looking for a challenge this will do it! This is also a good litmus test to see if you want to purchase Cathe's more comprehensive (and more expensive) STS Series. If you like this, STS (especially Phase 2) is for you.

Cathe STS Phase 2
This is a 4 week weights workout consisting of 12 separate DVDs. It's actually part of a 12-week program, but I just don't love Phase 1 and 3 nearly as much as Phase 2. Again, it's a 3-Day split and although some of the workouts are over an hour, it's pretty easy to skip a few exercises to reduce the time and still get a very thorough workout!

Cathe Strong & Sweaty
This series was released after I originally published this post, but I wanted to add it in here for reference since it deserves a place on my favorites list. My full review for this series is here along with a two week workout rotation sample for this series. The workouts are my ideal length of 40-50 minutes, but intense and advanced so I feel like I'm making great use of my workout time.

Shop the Workouts:



* * *
If you're wondering about my Nordstrom Anniversary Sale purchases...I still haven't made any! Last year I resisted 100% and when Fall rolled around, I didn't feel bad about that decision. There wasn't anything I was kicking myself for not purchasing and there was plenty of new stuff in store (on sale or not) that I liked just as well. The number one pieces tempting me with the sale are the Kendra Scott items, so I can't say I won't take the plunge. One day at at time! But if you've purchased something you love and think I would too, let me know in the comments and I'll take a look!


Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne |  Lindsey | Alison

CONVERSATION

8 comments:

  1. I got a pair of jeans during the sale along with a Rails plaid shirt. I've been wanting one forever, so when I saw it was on the sale I splurge and got one :) I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you listed your workout DVD's. I'm bored with the ones I have and need to change it up! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in a compiled fitness post, thank you.

    As for Kendra Scott, at the Nordstrom sale...kinda thought the selection was minimal (though I like the Elton Station Cuff in abalone). Seems like your no-need-to-buy, will-powered approach could work this time, too. I heard the Two by Vince Camuto seamed leggings were good. (Personally think the sale selection was better last time, for my taste).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the perfect advocate for heavy weight lifting because you have fantastic legs and you look great in short dresses and shorts. I loved seeing your favorite DVDs as well. The only one I have is Muscle Max (which I did a couple of days ago thanks to you!). I remember hearing excellent things about Pyramid Scheme when it came out. The thing about Cathe DVDs is some of them are older than 10 years and yet they're still really good---and she looks the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing which DVDs you like! Love your outfits as always. So polished looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the first outfit. You have really great style!

    I write Mademoiselle Meets Maquillage and Macaroons and I would love for you to give it a read, maybe we can follow each other?

    www.mademoisellemeetsmaquillageandmacaroons.com

    Deepti xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just reminded me that I want a pink Barcelona. I need to start buying the next size down. I'm sad to lose some of my current colors but I never owned a pink and I just love it on you!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. so, 5 days later are you still staying strong on the nordstrom sale? i forgot to bug you every day about it ;) i am staying strong!
    so i mentioned in my super long comment on your fitness posts that i'm not good at home workouts, buuuuut i normally rely on youtube videos. perhaps i should try a dvd or two. that Amy Bento Drop Set Strength sounds good! well, they all do. hard too lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!