6/2/16

What's New June: Express Reviews

|
Last weekend I posted about some recent Express purchases and try-ons (see it here), but a couple of items I discussed were on order and hadn't made it into my hands yet. Now that they're here, I wanted to share my reviews for the new-to-me items to join Gretchen and Kristen today for What's New Thursday.

ONE: Camo Jacket
First, I shared this outfit on Instagram yesterday but I have to add here that this particular item is easily my favorite Memorial Day Sale purchase. The fit, fabric, print...everything is just right and I know this jacket will get a ton of use. Thanks again to Erin for enabling this purchase!
Jacket: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Express | Cami: Target | Shoes: Sole Society (Similar) | Bag: Amazon | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift) | Watch: Fossil | Bracelets: Express

Shop the Look:





Front View + Up for Review:

OUTFIT DETAILS:


ONE:
Jacket: Express | Jeans: Express | Necklace: Express | Cami: Target | Shoes: Sole Society (Similar) | Bag: Amazon | Ring: Rebecca Minkoff (Gift) | Watch: Fossil | Bracelets: Express

TWO:
Jacket: Express | Cami: Target | Shorts: Target | Sandals: Nordstrom ($25 off)


THREE: 
Top: Express | Necklace: Kendra Scott | Shorts: Target | Sandals: Nordstrom

FOUR: 
Jacket: Express | Cami: Express | Necklace: Kendra Scott (Similar) | Jeans: Express | Sandals: Express | Bag: Danielle Nicole

TWO: Olive Bomber Jacket

Review: I really liked this type of jacket on Skye (see her outfits here and here) and I liked the color, but everything else on this was a miss for me. The fit was too bulky and puffy. The product description says it has an "extra light feel," and I don't agree with that. It's a medium-weight jacket, not a throw-on-in-summer-for-A/C weight. The fabric felt also felt like vinyl, and I was hoping for a more soft, silky feel. Also, when compared side-by-side on me with the camo jacket, the camo jacket was more flattering in my opinion so it easily won out. 

THREE: Off the Shoulder Top

Review: This top was so cute and exactly what I wanted in terms of look and fit. Sadly, I didn't keep it and I've decided I'm not going to purchase any more off the shoulder tops because they are just not for me. I don't like how restricted it makes my arms feel and I don't like how easily the shoulders ride up. If you don't mind all that then I would definitely recommend this top! And for what it's worth, the color name is Ivory, but online I thought it looked fairly white so I wasn't sure what to expect. In person I think it's a true Ivory despite how it looks in both my picture and the stock photo.

FOUR: Sleek Wedge Sandal

Review: You may have seen me wear these on Instagram or Snapchat, but I wanted to give a proper warning about them. When I wear something in an outfit I feel like I'm vouching for it, and after wearing these a few times you should know these are not especially comfortable. They are exactly what I wanted in terms of looks and they were actually great for a surprise party I attended where I was mostly sitting or standing. But when it comes to walking...not great. I made a Target trip in them and that's about the max amount of walking I would want to do. (And even then, I was glad I could hold on to the cart !) I may look for a similar pair with a lower heel (these have a 4" heel) to use for every day wear and save these for minimal-walking events.

* * *
It's nice when an item is an easy keep/return decisions like most of these! I'm still on the fence about a couple of other items I ordered, like the cognac wedge sandals from this post...I'm worried about having the same comfort issues as the black sleek sandals since they are the same heel height. But I decided not to post them here so that I wouldn't be too swayed by public opinion one way or another! It's one thing for an item to look good on a blog/Instagram post, another thing for it to work in real life, and obviously I'm still prone to mistakes on that one!



Linking up with:
ErikaAndreaNarci |JoLynne | Katie | Megan | Lindsey | Amanda |

CONVERSATION

17 comments:

  1. I love your reviews and I have one OTS top and dress for this exact same reason, you have to constantly fix the. Some are better than others I will say that.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. The camo jacket looks awesome, I'm going to see if I can find it to try on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That camo jacket is such a great piece! You are definitely going to be wearing that over and over! It's a shame that those wedge sandals are not comfortable. They are so cute for summer parties.

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great review, Gina. I keep thinking about that camo jacket. I just love the slim cut and do believe I will be making the drive to my local Express to give it a try. I took advantage of the Memorial Day sales and ordered several pieces based on what I love seeing you wear and felt would work for me. Looking forward to their arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading this post! I absolutely love that off the shoulder top and tried tracking it down in store in my size but it wasn't available. Will have to order online and see how I like it. I am totaling crushing on the bomber jacket though, I've been wanting one for a while now!

    Hope you are doing well Gina!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing worse than uncomfy heels! love the camo jacket on you, and i'm glad you sent back the off the shoulder top haha we can be against the off the shoulder trend together. just kidding. it looks super cute on some! that bomber jacket is cute but it does look way too bulky on you, and not really your style.. not that i know your style or anything, it just doesn't seem to fit. thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good call on the bomber jacket and the off-the-shoulder top. I completely agree with your assessment on both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wedges are so cute- good tip about not being comfy; best to wear 'em to events where you won't be standing/walking much!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love that camo jacket and am so glad it worked for you. You'll get so much use with it. I'm with you on the off-the-shoulder tops. Both the pink and this white one looked gorgeous on you (great shoulders, you must lift weights....ha!), but comfort is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the camo jacket. I am with you on off the shoulder tops - look cute but not comfortable. Thanks for the review - and your honesty.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds LINK UP

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking for a good military jacket like the one in your first photo! I actually noticed that on instagram, so I'm glad you posted about it here. Although I kinda assumed it was from Express ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would like off the shoulder dress more than shirts, because then I could just wear it out for a date night with my husband and not all day. I think I'd get annoyed with it tugging at my shoulders all day. I only have one off the shoulder top and the sleeves are mid-length and its just too hot to wear it now. I really love that camo jacket and I also like that you wear jackets in the summer- they are a perfect layer if a place has their a/c on too high! And, that camo jacket was MADE for you!!!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh that jacket looks SO good on you. I just got rid of a really old jacket that's in that same style so I might have to pick that one up. Not sure if I can pull off camo though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not jumped on the OTS anything bandwagon for that exact reason. Plus it is not flattering on me since I have broad shoulders, I just feel like a linebacker.


    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bummer that the bomber jacket didn't work out for you :( It looks so cute in the photos! I've been eying some similar ones from Zara :) I'm glad that super chic camo jacket worked!

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice style, dear ;)
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: HOW TO WEAR A SUMMER TRENCH

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!