3/30/16

What's Up Wednesday

|
I'm joining What's Up Wednesday for a little end-of-the month review because it's a fun and easy way for me to share some random topics here aside from just fashion.

I answered several of the questions from the prompt below, (skipping anything that made me stare at the computer screen for too long trying to think of an answer...), so read on to see what's been going on around here this March.

What we're eating this week...
Hard boiled eggs have been my breakfast of choice lately. I like that I can prepare a bunch in advance (I always follow this recipe) and they're ready to go in the morning with minimal prep work. Sometimes I keep them simple salt and Cayenne pepper, other times I douse them with Frank's Hot Sauce.
Image Source 


What I'm loving...
My nails-of-steel combo. I've been using these two top coats for the past couple of months and they have changed my life! That sounds really dramatic, but going from painting my nails 3-4 times per week to 1-2 times per week is a big deal for me! I usually paint my nails at night and apply Seche Vite to the wet nail polish. I try to be done with that about 30 minutes before bed time because even though Seche Vite helps them dry quickly, I still feel like they aren't completely "set" right away. Then in the morning after I wake, I usually have coffee and computer time before I work out. I'll apply the Gel Setter at that time, and it's fully dry in about 10 minutes. I am honestly so shocked at how long this combo helps my nail polish last. (I shared a few more of my manicure strategies in question two of this post if you missed it!)

Top Coat Favorites



What we've been up to...
If you follow on Snapchat you already saw that we decided to try an Easter Brunch Cruise instead of a traditional Easter Dinner this year. We have no family in the area so that can make some holidays feel lonely, and I wanted something fun to do that day. It ended up being so enjoyable for the whole family (even the kids who were not excited about it going into it) and hopefully it will be our new Easter tradition. We went on Flagship Cruises (not sponsored, not affiliate-linked) and I would gladly recommend the experience to locals or San Diego tourists. It would be great for a special occasion or just because you're visiting and want to enjoy a meal and see a big variety of city views by water.

Image via Flagship

What I'm working on...
I'll be traveling with my family for Spring Break in April so I'm trying to get a few blog posts prepared in advance so it's not complete radio silence here that week.

What I'm excited about...
Spring Break! We have a fun trip planned (more details to come in April) and it's always fun to explore a new place and make memories as a family.

What I'm watching...
Dancing with the Stars. This is the only TV show I watch any more, and the first episode was so fun. I'm so glad to have Edyta back as a pro dancer, but sadly she's paired with Geraldo Rivera (who dances as well as would be expected for a 72 year old) so I don't think she'll be around long. From week one I was most impressed with Peta + Nyle and Wanya + Lindsay and I can't wait to see how everyone progresses with the season.

What I'm reading...
The Nightingale. I've heard soooo many good things about this book from bloggers and Instagrammers I follow. I just started it on Sunday and I'm only Chapter Two so I don't have much else to say about it other than I'm excited to get back into reading again and I'm worried that my expectations are too high!


What I'm listening to:
Work work work work work. (You know, the Rihanna/Drake song.) Actually, I rarely get to listen to the whole song because my kids hate it ("Those are the most boring lyrics ever!") and they're in the car with me a lot. But somehow it's always stuck in my head and is the first song that came to mind for this question.

What I'm wearing:
I've done four outfit recaps since my last What's Up Wednesday post (One, Two, Three, Four), but just like last month, here are four more outfits that haven't made the blog yet:

One:
Jacket: Express / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express (Gift, Similar) / Jeans: Express / Boots: Amazon (Exact color sold out) / Bag: Amazon (Exact color sold out)

Shop the Pieces:


Two:
Sweater: Express (Similar) / Tank: Target (Maternity for length) / Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift) / Leggings: Express / Boots: Amazon / Bag: c/o Fossil / Ring: Nordstrom

Shop the Pieces:


Three
:
Sweater: Express (Similar) / Cami: Express / Short Necklace: CCO (Gift, Similar) / Jeans: Express / Long Necklace: ExpressShoes: Forever 21 (Similar) / Bag: Tory Burch (Option)

Shop the Pieces:


Four
:
Tee: Nordstrom Rack / Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift) / Jeans: Express / Boots: Amazon (Exact color sold out) / Bracelets: Express / Watch: Fossil (Similar) / Bag: Amazon

Shop the Pieces:


Front View:
Individual versions of the front view in February (Outfit 1) or March (Outfits 2-4) Outfit Singles.

Apparently another thing I'm loving lately would be these boots since I'm wearing them (in two colors) in three outfits! Carylee created a monster with these.

What I'm doing this weekend...
I have one friend coming in town this weekend (Spring brings a lot of visitors to San Diego!) and another local friend celebrating a birthday this weekend so while I don't what all the exact plans are just yet, it should be fun times with some of my favorite people.

What I'm looking forward to next month...
Did I mention I'm looking forward to Spring Break?


* * *
That wraps it up for today and I'll be back here on Friday with an outfit recap and update on the results of my Fitness Content Survey! 


Linking up with:
Sheaffer / Shay / Mel / Lindsey / ErikaAndreaNarci /JoLynne / Amanda

CONVERSATION

17 comments:

  1. I am still listening to work to, I understand the lyrics so maybe that's why I don't get annoyed with her using Jamaican patois, but then again I'm a Rihanna fan. I've getting gel manis but next time I do one at home I will for sure use this combo.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Easter brunch cruise sounds like fun! I need to get those top coats to try ASAP! I have Dancing with the Stars taped but I haven't had time to watch it yet. Can't wait to hear about your spring break trip!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the 'loved Nightingale' camp and so I hope you love it. I had low expectations because I had read other books by the author and wasn't impressed. But I loved this one. I did the audio version which might have made a difference. I enjoyed watching your cruise on Easter and will suggest that if we make it to San Diego again. Pre-kids I used to love having DWTS on in the background at night. Now with the kids, that just doesn't happen, but I'm always so impressed by the talent and the surprise talent of some of the stars. Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming trip and hope you have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Nightingale is my absolute favorite book I've read this year so far! What is your username on Snapchat? I just created an account on Easter after pressure from relatives! ha! I love the Essie gel setter, but have never tried Seche Vite... I need to look for it next time I'm in the store. I usually paint my nails during my computer time, but I like that you add the Essie gel setter every morning, too!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my Snapchat is username onetheDailyX - same as my Instagram! :)

      Delete
  5. Seche Vite was making my polish come off in one whole swoop! And I may have gotten a bad bottle this last round because it was super think and goopy. I kept trying to add nail polish remover to it but it was so so thick. I don't want to give it up though. It is definitely a life changing formula when I first started using it. I will need to try the gel setter combo too! And I'm happy to see you still love the boots!!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love DWTS this season!! I am rooting for Wayna and Lindsay, but Witney Carson is my favorite pro :). I didn't expect Mischa Barton to be very good, but her attitude makes me really sad! Girl needs some self confidence!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving that pink tank. I don't know why I never remember Express and we actually have one of those in our sad little mall here even. Hope you have an amazing Spring Break!

    The Queen in Between

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay spring break and fun trips! how exciting :) i used to have that first top coat but somehow lost it and never replaced it, but i remember it being awesome. i like to do my nails before bed when i do them as well, otherwise i'm bound to ruin them if i'm awake doing things, so i'll have to check out the essie one and do that in the morning. sounds good! and yay for the cruise being so fun and your kids enjoying it. that's always good :) i can't wait for my nordstrom tees to get here why are they so slooooww.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can't believe i didn't comment on which book you are reading. omg. i hope you love it. i hope you don't hate it. it was boring at times and hard to fully get into, but basically then it like literally, yes literally, broke my heart. like in a million pieces. i have no heart left.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number one: I love hard boiled eggs for a snack! I like mine with a drop of Dijon mustard. Tastes like deviled eggs!

    Two: the Essie gel setter has changed my mani too! I also have seche vite, so I'll have to try layering them but overall the Essie is amazing!

    Three: Nate and I are definitely doing that little cruise. It's on our list this Summer! Your snaps convinced us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post, Gina! I may need to try this one week. Spring break - that sounds so fun! I look forward to hearing where you are going.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad I found your blog today! We are reading the same book, I am 1/3 of the way through and I love it so far. I also have been enjoying the new season of Dancing With the Stars, Peta is my favorite dancer currently on the show. I am going to have to try out your Seche & Essie tip!!

    Amanda
    http://www.cupcakendreams.com/whats-up-wednesday/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to buy these top coats and see if they work for me. I am huge of hard boil eggs too, I make a dozen every week and have them for breakfast or snack for the week.

    Enjoy your Spring Break!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cruise sounds like so much fun. I love starting new family traditions. And how fun that you have a spring break trip planned! I need to try that Essie gel set coat. I have pretty good luck with the CDN polish and top coat.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun post! SO fun to know what other people are watching and reading!

    Rachel's Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a fun post! I always love seeing what is going on besides the fashion. I hope you like The Nightengale. I thought is was an amazing book and couldn't put it down. I hope your week is going well!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!