3/8/16

Seattle vs. San Diego Life + Style

|
I spent the past weekend hanging out with some good friends from Seattle, and the week prior to that another good friend from my years in Seattle was here. It was so fun to visit with them and it's had me reminiscing more than usual on the years I lived there. I started blogging shortly after I moved to San Diego and I have no doubt my outfits and some other things about the blog would be quite different if I had started it there! Today I'm bringing some lifestyle blogger-esque touches to my post and sharing my thoughts on the differences between the cities and their affect on me in some cases.

Outfits Here vs. There
Obviously the weather is a major difference between the two cities (except for Summer, which is relatively mild both places) and that had a major impact on my outfit choices, especially when it came to shoes and outerwear. I went through my February 2016 outfits and found that I wore open toe shoes/sandals (like these) 14 out of 29 days:
Individual Versions of these outfits Here
ONE:
Top: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Forever 21 (Similar) / Necklace: Express (Similar)

TWO:
Top: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Jessica Simpson (Similar)

THREE:
Jacket: Express / Dress: Express / Necklace: Kendra Scott / Sandals: Sam Edelman (Similar)

FOUR:
Jacket: Express / Cami: Express / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Sam Edelman / Necklace: Target (Similar)

Shop the Pieces:


I am 100% positive my shoe choices would have been completely different any given February day in Seattle. Toes would be covered at least 95% of the time. And while I could probably have worn similar outfits (except the dress), I would need a winter coat outdoors during the day, whereas I wear a winter coat about once a year in San Diego. (Usually around Christmas if we go to an outdoor event at night!)


Coffee Shops vs. Taco Shops

One of the first things our friends from Seattle said when they got here was, "You guys don't have any coffee shops!" Well of course we do, but you might have to drive a mile to get to the nearest Starbucks here vs. being a one block walk from three coffee shops in Seattle! But if you're hungry, Taco Shops are the San Diego equivalent of Coffee Shops. They. are. everywhere!


Wine Culture vs. Coffee Culture

The Seattle area has some a few different wineries that were very nice, but they were popular more for special occasions. Here in the San Diego area, first of all there are more wineries and a bigger variety. Several of them are family friendly and have a more casual vibe. People go there to hang out all day with friends, listen to live music, check out the shops, etc. Of course, the weather is more conducive to hanging out outdoors at wineries more often here, so it just plays a bigger role in the culture and lifestyle for a lot of people here than it did in Seattle. Coffee shops in Seattle do play a similar role as a place to hangout, and quite a few there (more than here) are family-oriented.

Team Spirit

Let's just say The Seahawks are kind of a bigger deal in Seattle than The Chargers are in San Diego. Not to say that there aren't Charger fans who are loud and loyal, but there just isn't an energy of excitement and city bonding over their NFL team like there was in Seattle. Maybe if the Chargers had a more winning record or weren't planning their potential departure from San Diego it would be different, but as of now, that's just the way it is.


Money, Money, Money
Image via Forbes

The Seattle area is home to a lot of major companies, e.g. Microsoft, Boeing, Nordstrom, Costco, Amazon, and Starbucks. Personally, I just felt surrounded by highly educated, highly paid individuals there, whereas the main industries here in San Diego (e.g. tourism) don't tend to pay as much. But even for the same job, the stats back up my impression that Seattle-ites are higher paid. For example a Software Engineer in Seattle has an average salary of $97,859 (Source), vs. $84,468 for the same job in San Diego (Source).

Blog Love City by City
I was a regular blog reader for many years before I started my own and coincidentally, a couple of my early favorite bloggers were based out of Seattle and San Diego. In Seattle, I read Every Day Mom Style because she was exactly where I was at that point in life: a stay at home mom just trying to look and feel her best but keep it practical for chasing around little ones. And there really were not many blogs tailored to that demographic at that time! She stopped blogging in 2013 to spend more time with her family, but I appreciated her content then and it helped inspire me to start my own blog.

In San Diego, I always appreciated Audrey of Putting Me Together's, affordable, realistic style and to this day hers is the first blog I recommend to people who are just starting to get into improving their style and outfits. I also got to meet her once I moved to San Diego, which resulted in one of my most popular blog posts ever (here).

* * *
Ironically, I'm writing this post on a day with a huge rain and thunderstorm here in San Diego so it's almost making me feel like I'm back in Seattle! But by Wednesday it will be Sunny and 70° here and 52° and rainy there, which is a lot more normal for both places. Both cities really have great things about them and great people in them and it's been fun to call both of them home!



Linking up with:
Momfessionals / Lindsey / Amanda /

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. I've always heard that they are better job opportunities in Seattle, just don't know if I could give up South Florida yet. Interesting facts about both cities, I loved San Diego it's so pretty and I need to come back to visit it longer. I'll take tacos and wine over coffee anytime.
    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to hear about the differences between the two cities! I'm all for taco's and wine! :) Glad you had a fun weekend with your friends!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a great time with your friends. :)
    All these outfits are so chic and beautiful! And I'm obsessed with that grey dress.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week so far!
    Xo, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! This was interesting!! It makes me want to compare San Antonio to Ann Arbor to St. Louis! Though I don't think got really interested in blogging and fashion until I moved to St. Louis. Not because of St. Louis itself, just because uh I don't know! I guess that's another topic I need to write about! And I didn't realize you did open toe shoes so often in February! Jealous!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really interesting to read! I've never been to Seattle so you're my guru on it ;) I would love to go one day because I think I'd enjoy the culture there. Of course, I love San Diego and the carefree lifestyle, but I do wonder why the cost of living is so high and yet the pay is lower. That's why we can't afford to move to SD county! But jobs are scarce everywhere it seems. I'm happy you had a great time with friends over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i like the one you chose :) i really had no idea about seattle being home to so many companies, and that they generally paid more. interesting. i also know nothing about football, so i'll just jump over that one. very interesting about seattle and coffee - i think sydney/melbourne are very coffee centric as well. like, i'm sure we have wineries and stuff, but the coffee culture is definitely prominent. tacos, not so much. but i do love some tacos. yum. i have never been to san diego or seattle, but hopefully one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure there is a lot of differences between the two cities. My husband is flying to Seattle next week for work and I was tempted to fly myself and the kids with him so we could sightsee! I have always wanted to see Seattle and the kids are off school next week. BUT, we decided it'd be too hard to plan it in such a short time... and, he'd be working most of it! Maybe some other time. I bet there is more coffee houses in Seattle, given the rainy and gloomy weather... I'm sure coffee is comforting and warm!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post this post. If you could choose - would you go back to Seattle or stay in San Diego - or try a different city all together? I always wished I had lived out west (Colorado) before settling in the Midwest - with our families.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to stay in San Diego as longgggg as I can. It's definitely my favorite place I've ever lived. Seattle is great and I'm glad I had a chance to live there but San Diego is more "me." :)

      Delete
  9. I had no idea you lived in Seattle! That's so cool. I'm feeling the California weather this week- today it was in the 70s and it's supposed to stay like that as far out as my forecast shows :) I loved seeing your comparison of the two cities..very interesting take on the hometown show and tell post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun comparison of the 2 two cities. I think Charger fans are influx since we don't know if they are looking to move to LA.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having never left the East Coast (I know bad) it's fun to learn about other states and what they are known for! Cool post.
    xo, Lee
    www.wineandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coffee? Wine? I live in Utah. I'll take either and on a Sunday thank you very much. This is very interesting. My husband would love to move us to the Seattle area and besides one work conference there, I haven't spent much time there. Your style would go anywhere, but you'd have to buy the quintessential blogger Hunter boots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post! My dad actually worked for Boeing and we moved around because of it. They moved to Everett (just north of Seattle) when I was in college. Although I never lived there, we visited often and I felt like I got a little taste of it. From what I know, you are spot on (obviously). Closed toed shoes and coats required! Great coffee. Such an interesting point about the industry differences. It was a big change for my parents compared to the sunny south and southern hospitality we came from (moved from Alabama and originally from Oklahoma). You didn't know this post was going to bring up an Amy Ann life story did you?! ;) Also, glad you are enjoying my snaps, ha! That mouse thing was nuts! I am trying to get better with snap. Hope you are having a good week!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your comparison of those 2 cities! Very clever! I feel like the SF Bay Area is a mix of Seattle & San Diego based on your comparisons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could totally handle having a taco shop on every corner haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun post, love reading the differences between the two cites and that taco mug is too cute! Your fringe dress is one of the best purchases, you can wear it with so many things, inspires me to get out of my fashion comfort zone...eventually, LOL.

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun post! And WOW, thank you for your kind words, friend!

    I loved Everyday Mom Style too! I thought she was filling such a huge need at the time and loved what she brought to the table.

    On another note, I think you and I need a taco date or something.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so interesting! Also your first two outfits look like what Candace Cameron wore in most episodes of Fuller House. That's a big compliment! She is adorable. I just thought it was interesting because the show is set in San Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha, I've vacationed to both and that is so true. I never realized how big taco shops were in San Diego. I love tacos so I can't say I mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Get daily ideas and methods for making $1,000s per day ONLINE totally FREE.
    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!