2/24/16

What's Up Wednesday 2/23/16

|
I'm joining What's Up Wednesday for a little end-of-the month review because it's a fun and easy way for me to share some random topics here aside from just fashion.

I answered several of the questions from the prompt below (skipping anything that made me stare at the computer screen for too long trying to think of an answer...), so read on to see what's been going on around here this February.

What we're eating this week:
The Sriracha flavored Almonds from Blue Diamond are my new favorite snack. They're just the right amount of spice and flavor for me. I was hooked on the Wasabi & Soy version before these came out but these have replaced those as my favorite as they're slightly less hot but just as flavorful. Maybe a little more sweet, too, which I always like.

What I'm reminiscing about:
Seattle. If you're a new reader you might not know I lived in Seattle for many years prior to moving to San Diego in 2013. In the next couple of weeks two of my good friends from Seattle will be coming to visit San Diego (at different times) and I can't wait to catch up with them. Their impending visits have me reminiscing on the fun times and friendships we had there. That's also the period of time when I got into reading fashion blogs and trying to improve my outfits. I shared a few pre-blog, Seattle-era outfits in my How I Built My Wardrobe post if you're curious!

What I'm loving:
My appreciation of Tracy Hensel's Snapchat account (@tracy_hensel) continued when she recently shared how she uses the Cozi App to help manage her family life and scheduling with five kids.


I was familiar with the app from seeing advertisements for it in a few magazines, but I wasn't sold on trying it until Tracy walked through some of the steps and functions she likes on Snapchat.  The calendar and reminder system is exactly what my husband and I needed to stay in sync on all of the scheduling for ourselves and our kids. Up until this year, my kids have almost always been in the same sports or activities at the same time. (One of the benefits of having the same gender close in age.) But now they're dabbling in different activities at different times, so my husband has had to get more involved in taking them to/from places and communicating with different coaches etc. to make it all logistically possible. As you can imagine we've had a few scheduling issues and conversations like, "You didn't tell me he had practice that day...he already has an orthodontist appointment." I've only been using Cozi for a week and half so I don't think I am using it to its full potential yet, but so far it's doing exactly what we need to get organized. (And for reference there's a free version of the app and a "Gold" version which is $30 per year. I'm currently doing the free trial of the paid version.) 


What I'm working on:
Organizing my blog photos. Until last month, I've had them organized in folders by year and month the photo was taken with whatever file name my iPhone assigned to them. So for instance, when I want to put together a collage of four favorite ways I wore a Portofino shirt like I did in this post, it takes for.ev.er. to hunt through outfit photos trying to find what I want to use. Now I'm re-naming them all with product names so I can just search my outfit files to find exactly what I want rather than hunting and scanning photos one month at a time. This probably doesn't matter to you and really doesn't benefit you as a reader (sorry!), but I'm hoping it makes me a more efficient blogger all the same!

What I'm watching:

80s Movies. My family is on a Sunday Night Movie kick lately and for the most part, we've been introducing our kids to some of the movies we enjoyed growing up, like War Games, Adventures in Babysitting, and Top Gun (the edited-for-TV version, just FYI!). It's been so fun to re-watch movies we haven't seen in years and sort of re-live our own childhood through our kids. Plus, it's fun to see them enjoy the movies as much as we did!

What I'm wearing:
I usually feel a little redundant with this question since I already do an Outfit Recap every Friday (recaps for this month so far: one / two / three). But if you've done the math on those recaps, you might notice I only recap four outfits on the blog per week vs. the five to seven I wear and share on Instagram. I don't have any set criteria for choosing which outfits to post here. Sometimes it's the four that were the most popular on Instagram, other times I just choose my own personal favorites of the week. So for no good reason, here are four outfits that didn't make it into a blog post:

One:
Jacket: Gap (Similar) / Cami: Express / Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift) / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Sam Edelman / Watch: Fossil (Similar) / Bag: Danielle Nicole / Nails: Sinful Colors "Easy Going"

Shop the Pieces:



Two:
Sweater: Express / Cami: Target / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Target (Identical) / Necklace: Stella & Dot (Gift, Length adjusted by me) / Bag: Tory Burch (Similar) / Bracelet: LOFT

Shop the Pieces:



Three:
Jacket: Maurices / Tee: Zappos / Jeans: Express (Similar) / Booties: Forever 21 / Necklace: Express / Bag: Amazon / Nails: Sinful Colors Black on Black + NYC Gold Glitter

Shop the Pieces:




Four:
Jacket: Express (Similar) / Cami: Express / Jeans: Express / Necklace: Express / Shoes: Calvin Klein (Similar) / Bag: Express (Similar)

Shop the Pieces:



Front View:

What I'm doing this weekend:
Probably the same stuff as usual...workouts outside the house for a change, some errands and some socializing with friends and neighbors for the kids and adults in my family. if you follow on Snapchat (@ontheDailyX) I usually try to share some snaps of weekend happenings since that tends to be moderately more interesting than my weekday activities!

Bonus Question: Favorite Easter Tradition?

I hope "buying Easter Candy 'for the kids' but getting my favorite kinds for myself" counts as a tradition because that's what comes to mind. I love malted Robin Eggs (only available at Easter!) and there's something about the peanut butter to chocolate Ratio in Reese's Peanut Butter Easter Eggs that's just better than the regular cups!
* * *
That's it for this month's random update! See you back on Friday for my regularly scheduled outfit and fitness recap!



Linking up with:
Sheaffer / Shay / Mel /  Lindsey /Amanda / Lisa /JoLynne

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. Really love your leopard TB bag and that studded bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously loving your outfits! Adorable! So cozy and Spring weather ready! Love! Also, I purposely don't buy Easter candy... for the sole reason that I will eat it all by myself before the actual holiday comes around! Ha, but I do love Robin's eggs and Cream Filled Eggs too :)

    Have a great rest of your week!

    -Rachel at thefashionistahousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love malted robin eggs and those srircha almonds sound tasty! It's so much fun to watch those 80's movies! I haven't seen Adventures in Babysitting in years!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about the Easter candy, too! I really love Cadbury eggs! Enjoy the time with your Seattle friends!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that's a great idea to watch all your fave movies with the kids! And now I suddenly want to watch them, too! This was a fun read. It's nice to get non-fashion snippets from you!
    Carylee | More Pieces of Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bag!! Hope you’ll stop by my blog for the latest post!

    loveolia.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. girl your outfits are always on point! i love them all :D were voting on our new book club book on my blog and i'd love for you to come vote and read with us next month! so glad i found you through the linkup! hope you'll stop by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog and have tried to add you on Snapchat but it never shows a Story published. Do you know if anyone else has had this problem? I've tried to "unfriend" and re-add but still nothing :( I feel like I'm missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashlyn! Thanks so much for letting me know about the Snapchat issue! I had this happen once before and had to change something on my settings to fix it. I went back in today and somehow my setting had gone back to "custom" viewers and I don't know why...but I switched it back to public so hopefully you should see My Story now. Let me know if you still don't see it!

      Delete
  9. Love your outfits! I need to get a nice pair of white jeans. I'd forgotten all about Adventures in Babysitting. I totally need to watch it again with the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why are the shaped Reese's soooo much better than the normal cups? They always are!

    Your outfits are just adorable. Rock it, girl!

    Visiting from the linkup, but a new follower here!
    Melanie from Oh Mel
    www.melanieks10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cozi app sounds super helpful! Obviously I don't have kids yet but I'm sure with all of the activities you guys do, it's hard to keep track!

    I really want to visit Seattle one day. It looks like a beautiful city. I'd love to travel across this country for that matter! So much to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE these looks. You have the best denim collection! I really love your Tory Burch leopard bag too!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE those almonds also! Seriously addicted!
    I need to check out that app!!!
    Your outfits are darling, as usual!
    Thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO fun! I love this linkup :) I also love easter candy..especially cadberry eggs (chocolate or caramel though).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to get better about organizing my blog photos too! Have an amazing time with your Seattle friends when they come to visit and enjoy the warm sunshine <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reorganzing my blog photos seriously made such a difference for me! It really helps me to fin dthings!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see I need to get cracking on my barcelona cami collection because I'm totally in love with this red one on you! I love the idea of sharing your childhood movie faves with your kids and that they are enjoying. Goes to show that some movies are total classics!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard about that Cozi app and need to look into it. I spied You Are a Badass on you Snapchat! Love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have never seen top gun (i have a weird obsession to hate tom cruise) but i love that you're watching older movies with your kids! that's so cool. also, that app sounds amazing and i can definitely see how that would benefit a busy family. i swear, sometimes i say things to KC and he's like 'you didn't tell me that' and i'm like for the love of all that is good and holy in this world YES I DID. but i just let it slide. hahaha. those robin egg thingys look like my kind of treat. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a chuckle at the malted milk eggs. The other day at Target I bought the gum eggs. You know the ones that lose flavor 2 seconds after you chew them? Pure sugar. I try to get my kids to watch older movies but they won't watch with me. And love all of your looks. You have quite the collection of shoes going.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Um, love all of those outfits, those jackets, I think I'll just pin every single one of your outfits to my Pinterest and tell STitchfix, make me look like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!