1/7/16

Hair Extension Ponytail: Pros and Cons

|
Irresistible Me reached out to me recently and offered me a set of their hair extensions in exchange for a review of their product on my blog. I was eager to accept their offer because they have one product in particular that I wanted to try: a clip-in ponytail extension. I've owned a full set of hair extensions (from Sally's) for two years and I wear them frequently, but what I've found is that I really only wear them one way: in a ponytail.

(Anytime you see this much hair in one of my pics...it's fake!)

All this time I've been putting in three rows clip-in hair extensions, then pulling my hair back into a ponytail. It seemed like it would be much easier to clip in just one ponytail and I wanted to put my theory to the test. I selected the 14" ponytail (the shortest option available) in Platinum Blonde because that color looked closest to my own hair.

Here's what my first set of extensions (left) looks like vs. the ponytail straight out of the box:
Euronext (Sally's) Extensions in True Blonde ($133) vs. Irresistible Me Ponytail ($89)

Before I even attempted to use the ponytail, I watched this YouTube Tutorial for a little help since my hair styling skills are not the best. By the time I did this on my own, I forgot her final step of wrapping a piece of the hair around the ribbon.  I wish I had done that because I think it would have looked a little nicer than the ribbon looks on its own.
My real ponytail vs, Irrisistible Me 14" Ponytail Extension

About 95% of the time that I wear a ponytail extension, I throw a hat on top as well.  It makes the slight color difference between my real hair and my extensions less noticeable, and it makes for a shorter styling time since I don't have to worry about keeping the rest of my hair nice and smooth or even styling my bangs. Plus, we're outdoors in the sun a lot in San Diego and I appreciate the sun protection.

Here's how the clip-in extensions look in a ponytail vs. the clip-in ponytail:
Euronext Extensions (Sally's) in True Blonde ($133) vs. Irresistible Me Ponytail ($89)

If you're follically challenged like me and have thought about getting extensions or a ponytail extension, here's my take on the pros and cons of the two options I have:

PONYTAIL EXTENSION:

PROS:
  • Quality. The hair of the Irresistible Me ponytail feels softer and silkier than the Euronext extensions. It also looks thicker and prettier in my opinion. 
  • Price. The clip-in ponytail is less expensive than most sets of (good quality) full extensions.
  • Ease of Use. Clipping one ponytail around your own ponytail is a bit easier and faster than adding multiple rows of extensions and then putting all of that into a ponytail.
  • Comfort. This is much more comfortable for me to wear than full clip-ins.

CONS:
  • Security. I tested out my ponytail extension in a dance class. I thought it would be fun to have a nice full ponytail for some hairography. And it was! Until it fell out on the floor halfway through the first routine! (Womp womp.) Mind you, it was a pretty active class, but then I wore the ponytail hiking and it fell out in the parking lot when I was trying to adjust my hat. My clip-ins have never fallen out. There might be a trick to getting this ponytail installed more securely but I just haven't figured it out yet.
  • The Ribbon. I think the purpose of the ribbon is additional security, but if that's the case it didn't do the job for me, and I found it a little fussy to get it wrapped around the ponytail and tied correctly. Like I said, I don't have the best hair skills so this might not be an issue for other people or it may get easier with practice, but that was my take after my first two uses.

FULL CLIP-IN EXTENSIONS:

PROS:
  • Multiple Styling Options. This isn't really a pro for me personally, but for someone new to hair extensions I can see wanting the option to experiment with other styles besides just a ponytail.
  • Security. If you're performing in Cirque du Soleil anytime soon, I highly recommend going with clip-ins over a ponytail or it might fall out when you're hanging upside down from the trapeze.
CONS:
  • Discomfort. I am amazed that some people wear clip-ins every day because I can only tolerate them for a couple of hours. They make my head itch and hurt with all that extra weight pulling on them. Also, when you wear them with a hat (as I do), the hat compressing onto all those clips on your head is really not comfortable. 
  • Blending. As you can see the in the photos above, there is a clear (jagged) line between my own hair and the extensions. With the clip-in ponytail, it covers my own ponytail completely which looks much nicer in my opinion.
And last but not least, here are some "in the wild" pics of my adventures in extensions. The first image is the most recent with my Irresistible Me Ponytail (after I rescued it in the parking lot), the last two are with the Euronext extensions.

Several of my blogger friends have tried out the full sets of hair extensions from Irresistible Me, so if that route appeals to you a little more, I recommend checking out the reviews by any one (or all) of these ladies to help you decide!

Kristen / Megan / Kate / Zeba

Despite the fallout issue, I still prefer the clip-in ponytail to the full extensions because of the fact that it's more comfortable and prettier. I will keep working on my installation skills and hope I can get it to stay put a little better. If you have any great suggestions for that, please share in the comments below!



Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

29 comments:

  1. This was a great review! I've never tried extensions but I think I'd try the ponytail! It looks great on you! There has to be a trick to get it attached securely!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review - I like how thick the ponytail extension looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I have seen some awesome extension posts lately, and it's really making me want to try them. Sounds like this is easier but maybe not as stable.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...I'm dying laughing at the runaway ponytail in the parking lot! I love how the ponytail extension blends in over your actual ponytail - but it's a shame it falls out! Also - I absolutely LOVE the outfit with the white blouse and the straw (?) hat - such a chic look! For me, getting my extensions to look/feel blended into my hair was the trickiest part - I know a lot of experienced extension-wearers take their extensions to be trimmed when they get their hair cut, so that it looks more tapered at the bottom and less blunt - but I have yet to do that. Thanks for adding my review link <3 I loved reading the other reviews too - Kristen's was SOOOOO funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an interesting read! Lash extensions, all day long. Hair extensions- I have never ever tried and would have no idea what to do with them! The falling out part terrifies me! But I do love a good ponytail and cap combo!
    And now I understand the basis for your tech question we were texting about yesterday :)
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use clip in extensions but only for putting my hair up too. I don't know if I would like just the pony tail extension. I like how the clip ins give added bulk/volume to the sides. That is kind of funny how your pony fell out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great in a long ponytail. I only tried hair extensions once when I got an extremely short haircut and I was missing my long hair. I'm trying to catch up with you. I know it's kind of late, but I can't find your Sagittarius style post, I missed it :(

    -Tatiana
    We Shop in Heels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Tatiana! You can find the most recent Sagittarius Style post heret

      Delete
  8. Too funny about the dance class! The ponytail does look very cute on you and I hope you figure out a way to attach it more securely. I have some Irresistible Me extensions and they are fun to wear from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review babe<3 :)
    You look great with the hair.
    Loved that you put cons and pros!
    Kayla xo // Kayla's Vibration

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review, Gina. I have been thinking about trying extensions - to add some length to my hair. I am with you on being comfortable to wear - that is one of my concerns, as well as color.

    I am hosting my first fashion link up #thursdaystylefinds - if you want to join.
    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the difference is amazing. It does look really good. The lack of security would probably make me concerned about wearing them. I also hear you about them not being comfortable. Whenever I've put mine in, I get asked why I don't wear them all the time. I can't get used to not being able to run my hands through my hair or shoving my sunglasses on top of my head. They do look good though. Great honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. heyyy thanks for the shoutout girl! you are so sweet. i agree about the pain with clip ins. i could not wear them all day. the longest i wore them was to dinner, about 6 hours and i was no joke pulling them out as we were waiting to get picked up haha. i actually almost wore them today, but i didn't leave enough time and i was trying to braid before i forgot that i can't braid.
    the ponytail one looks better because of the obvious difference from your hair in the clip ins, but the first thing i noticed was that ribbon! i don't like. also, if it's not secure, what's the point? haha. i'm sorry it didn't work out, but at least you have your clip ins :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great pros and cons! I have never tried a extension for a pony tail! very fun!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good and thorough review Gina! I've tried hair extensions before, but I was constantly worried about them falling out haha and they took so long to style. Love the idea of a ponytail extension though. Looks so pretty, too bad that it's not very secure though!

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Your hair looks amazing, but lol at the dance class mishap! Thanks for the shout-out sweet girl <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never worn them but after reading the other posts you linked I want to try them!! I have almost no volume in my hair so it would be awesome to see what it's like :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try them! When I got my first set I intended to use them for either length or trim them to my current hair length and just use them for volume. The ponytail ended up working best for me but I'm still glad I went down that path because it's a fun change!

      Delete
  17. great pros and cons with the extensions. ive never used some but this has me inspired! Your blog is beautiful and I can't wait to read more on your blogging journey this year! Glad I found you on the link up and hope you'll stop by my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nice words! Just left a note on your blog. :)

      Delete
  18. Fun post! I love your beauty blogger side :) I've never had extensions before so I'm probably not valuable in this discussion, but I really do love the look on you! Have you considered growing your hair out a bit? My hair is thin, frizzy, but I have a ton of it so long hair is hard for me to maintain even though I like the sexy factor of it lol. I think these are a great alternative. They honestly look natural! I love seeing them on you to go for a hike! How chic is that? I look like a slob when I workout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing I love...I feel like it looks cuter but without being overdone and over-the-top for something like a hike! And I have had my longer and shorter at various times over the years. A lot depends on the climate where we live. I had it longer when I first moved here but just couldn't get it to style like I wanted with the coastal climate. Plus my hair is much faster to style the way it is now which I like. :)

      Delete
  19. I tried out their full extensions but kinda wish I had selected the pony tail now :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a set of hair extensions that I bought from my gf (who is also my hair stylist). We colored it to match my hair so it blends well. I rarely use them because like you said, it is heavy. But I can't stand how hot it makes my head feel. I may use it now since the weather has cooled down.

    I do love how it changes my look with just longer hair.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a great review - I will have to try clip in extensions!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such an interesting blog Gina! Wigs are one of the great ways for new hair style.And you shared very nice thing about hair wigs. Thanks for sharing this useful information with us.
    Great Article

    ReplyDelete
  23. The extensions look really natural and the colour blends in really well with your own hair.Hair extensions sydney

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's is really very nice post its all information really helpful for me and other users.

    Cheap Clip In Hair Extensions
    Human Hair Lace Front Wigs
    Malaysian Curly Hair

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!