12/15/15

Recent Purchase Hits and Misses

|
I shared some of my Black Friday/Cyber Monday purchases back in this post, and now that everything has been delivered and tried on, I wanted to go through some of the purchases and share what worked and what didn't. This is a pretty long, text-heavy review post so get your skimmers on and get ready to do some scrolling past the parts that don't interest you. (And hopefully that won't mean the whole post!)

Express Purchases: 
So far I've only worn one of my Express Black Friday apparel purchases, this Moto Jacket:
Jacket: Express / Tee: Old Navy / Jeans: Nordstrom / Short Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Long Necklace: ExpressBooties: Express (In-Store Only, Similar) / Bag: Amazon

Notes: If you compare this to the stock photo below, the first thing you might notice is that this is more pink than the stock photo. I still like the color and it was close enough to what I wanted that it didn't bother me. What you can't tell from the product photo is that it's a VERY thin jacket... more like a shirt than a jacket. Again, that works for California but cold climates may want to pass on this until Spring or Summer. It has one product review so far and that reviewer gave it only one star. They commented that it has no stretch (very true) and runs slightly small (also true). I don't think I could wear it zipped up like the model and it doesn't have a lot of give when I move my arms. I didn't need to size up because I don't intend to wear it zipped so again, not a deal-breaker for me. But this one might not be for everyone because of those factors. It works for me, but it's not something I think will be as practical for the masses as a Portofino Shirt or (Minus the) Leather Moto Jacket.


Here's the stock photo of the mink moto jacket along with my other Express clothing purchases:
Black Friday purchase reviews Express


B/W Textured Knit Jacket: When I got this in person, I found the fabric blend was different than I expected. It was almost like white micro polka dots on black fabric rather than a blend.

I was hoping for something that was a moto jacket version of my black and white marled cardigan (seen in this post), so I decided to return it and look for something closer to what I wanted. I found a similar option at Maurice's and ordered that one to try. I have never ordered anything from Maurice's so I'm not quite sure how sizing and quality will work out, but I'll try to update once my order arrives. Or you'll just see it in an outfit post and know that I liked it!
This or that Marled Moto Jacket
Express (In-Store Only) vs. Maurice's 

Bralette: I really liked this and thought it would be cute under some of my v-neck tees, but the size I bought didn't work out and now it's in-store only. Unfortunately none of the stores near me have this in stock so no dice.

Cami: I love this and am happy to add another striped option to my Barcelona Cami Collection. Ijust  haven't worn it yet because the nautical vibe it doesn't feel very December/Winter to me. I don't like to let things sit too long in my closet without wearing them, though, so I'm planning to wear it soon regardless of the season.

Burgundy Cardigan Purchases:
Last weekend I shared an outfit I wore featuring this Burgundy Cardigan from Nordstrom:
Sweater: Nordstrom / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express (Similar) / Booties: Express

Originally I bought two burgundy cardigans with the intention of keeping just one:
This or that burgundy cardigans
Left: Nordstrom Rack (Sold Out) / Right: Nordstrom (Limited Sizing)

Trying them in person made for an easy decision. The Nordstrom Rack cardigan is in the left two images below. It only came in sizes Small-Large, and the Small was just too oversized and bulky for me. I much preferred the silhouette of the Nordstrom cardigan, and the lighter weight will probably get more year-round use in my climate.

The Nordstrom Rack Cardigan is completely sold out, so it must be working for someone! As of today the Nordstrom cardigan only has size Medium and Large left, but here are a couple of other similar options with more sizes to check out:
Burgundy Cardigan Shopping options

Express ($50) / Kohls ($20) / Modcloth ($55)

Shoe Purchases:
I ordered these two booties with the intention of keeping both:

Black Friday Shoe buys
Amazon / Macy's (Sold Out)

The leopard booties were a hit for me, and I've already worn them in a couple of outfits
Express Military Jacket, Scuba Leggings, Leopard Booties
Jacket: Express (Exact In Store OnlyNewer version Online) / Tank: Target (Maternity for length) / Leggings: ExpressBooties: Macy's / Necklace: Express / Sunglasses: Nordstrom / Watch: Fossil / Nails: Deborah Lippmann "Bitches Brew"

Like many of the things I purchased on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, my exact booties are now sold out, so I rounded up a few similar options at different retailers and price points:

Leopard Booties 2015


Top Row: Dillard's ($99) / Macy's ($69) / Nordstrom ($99)
Bottom Row: Macy's ($41) / Nordstrom ($71)

As for the grey booties, it was hard for me to get a good capture of the color in real life, but they are more white-grey than I anticipated. I tried them with a couple of outfits and they are very comfortable, but they make me feel like I'm wearing go-go boots. Sadly I think these are going back.


Old Navy Purchases:
Black Friday Buys Old Navy

Notes: Considering I wore the grey t-shirt in two of the outfits above (with the Mink Moto Jacket and Burgundy Cardigan) clearly that one was a keeper. I kept the black as well but so far haven't put it in an outfit. I returned the white t-shirt because it wasn't as much of a scoop neck as it appeared to be on the model. It was more like a wide crewneck or boat neck, which isn't what I wanted. Even though I kept the grey and black, I am not a huge fan of these t-shirts. They are flimsy and tend to lose their shape quickly with wear throughout the day. The grey one was the exact shade I wanted and only $6.00 when I bought it so it was worth keeping, but I will continue to be on the lookout for a replacement for this when it inevitably wears out after a few wears and washes.  

And last but not least, here's a front-view reference of the outfits from this post with my keeper items. You can find these individually on my Outfit Singles Page.


Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
 Lindsey /  Tara / JoLynne / Erika


CONVERSATION

20 comments:

  1. Great reviews! I'm glad some things worked for you, even if the keepers weren't really that great either. I had a grey long sleeve from Gap (it used to be called their favorite v neck but I don't know what it's called now). It was really high quality and kept its shape, even years later it looks great! I have a short torso so on me these are a little long, but I would still recommend them if you're looking to upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen! I do have the white version of that Gap Tee! I will have to check if they still have the grey version in stock, although if it's like my white one it might be more fitted than relaxed.

      Delete
  2. So funny that I posted about having that Modcloth cardi last night. Seriously forgot I had it! I can't wait to see you in the new striped Barcelona! It's a good piece and I'm trying to ignore that I love it! And odd about the mink jacket but glad it worked for you regardless!!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review, I like to wear all my items right away as well. Did you ever get the J.Crew tees? Was wondering if they worked for you?

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try them and unfortunately they didn't work out. They were very fitted, and I prefer a more relaxed fit. I guess I could have tried sizing up, but the fabric was also a little uncomfortable to me. I think my next attempt will be Madewell. I see them on lots of bloggers/IGers and they look like they have the shape I want!

      Delete
  4. Love the Leopard print booties too, and sad that the Black jacket was a miss.

    xoxo - Style.. A Pastiche

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that jacket really does look quite thin. and oh my gosh, that huge oversized cardi is hilarious on you. i really like the cardi you kept, and that express option below. super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those grey booties seem super cute, bummer they didn't work out! I really hate when the coloring is off online.. like hello I'm looking for something in a specific color for a reason haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many goodies! Obsessed with those leopard shoes. Great Review Gina!
    Xo, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stock photo of the moto jacket looks nothing like it! That's interesting, but I do like the color! I also love your new booties. I am tempted to buy another pair myself but the ones I want are 100 dollars. I really didn't do much shopping sadly. I returned the coat and jacket I bought from express because they didn't fit correctly. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those leopard booties were such a great purchase. I love all of your moto jackets on you, even the pink one, and I hope the one from Maurices works out. And you made a good choice by returning the Nordstrom Rack cardigan. The Nordstrom one does look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great reviews! I love the pink moto jacket from Express! I wear my leopard booties all of the time and I'm obsessing over the grey pair! Such a pretty color!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I was going to comment that I loved the pink moto jacket in your post last week but I had to scroll back up because I wasn't sure if it really was pink. How interesting. I'm glad it worked for you. I feel like Express misrepresents the sizing, fit, and color with some of their stock photos which is disappointing. I was burned by that olive sequin tee. It looked over-sized on the model so I ordered my "smaller" size. When I returned to the store, I mentioned something to the sales associate and she said that she sized up! Maybe a post idea for you - reality vs online :-).... I love the leopard booties and am so glad that you kept them and have featured them a few times already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That oversized cardi is very oversized and looks like can fit like 3 of you in there. You did a good job of keeping things that your love and will be great addition to your closet.


    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your honest reviews. Online store pictures can be so deceiving. I agree with your burgundy cardigan purchase - somethings work for some (and you wonder who). I love your leopard booties - too bad they are sold out. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't get enough of the pink moto - Wishing you the best of the holidays!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking for the perfect grey, wide calf, over the knee suede boots and they are totally escaping me! I know they are out there but grey boots are so hard!
    The Adored Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your purchases. My favorites are the bordeaux sweater and those leopard heels, good lord those are amazing! I need a pair as well but haven't found many that look flattering on me!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great items!! Thanks for the inspiration babe.

    X Merel
    www.andathousandwords.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!