12/4/15

Outfits + Fitness Recap 12/4/15

|
Happy Friday and welcome back (or welcome!) to my standard Friday post with some everyday outfits (featuring a heavy dose of clothing from Express), workout details, plus my thoughts on the new Express Edition collection at the end of the post.

As Seen on Instagram:
Express Military Jacket, Scuba Leggings, Leopard Booties
Jacket: Express (Exact In Store OnlyNewer version Online) / Tank: Target (Maternity for length) / Leggings: ExpressBooties: Macy'sNecklace: Express / Sunglasses: Nordstrom / Watch: Fossil / Nails: Deborah Lippmann "Bitches Brew"

Express Grey Cardigan, Leggings, Burgundy Booties, Kendra Scott Rayne Necklace
Sweater: Express (Similar) / Tank: Target (maternity for length) / Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Leggings: Express / Booties: Old Navy / Ring: Target / Bag: Amazon / Nails: Deborah Lippmann "Bitches Brew"

Sweater: ExpressCami: ExpressNecklace: Nordstrom "Purple Jade" / Jeans: Express / Bag: AmazonShoes: Express (Similar) /  Nails: Deborah Lippmann "Bitches Brew"


Tee: ExpressJeans: Express (Similar) / Booties: Express (Similar) / Necklace: Nordstrom / Bag: Express (Similar)


Front View:

More often than not my outfits seem like they have a theme each week. I don't plan it that way so it must be something in my subconscious. This week I guess I was into lots of black and grey. If you'd like to view or Pin any of the front-view outfits above you can do so from this page. November outfits are located here.

Fitness Recap:
Here are the workouts I did this week, with links to DVDs when applicable if you're interested in working out at home too:

Saturday: Cardio Kickboxing (Local studio)
Sunday: Dance Class (Local studio)
Monday: Cathe STS Meso 1 Week 2 Legs (Amazon)
Tuesday: Cathe MMA Boxing Cardio + Abs Workout (Amazon)
Wednesday: Cathe STS Meso 1 Week 2 Chest, Shoulders, Biceps (Amazon)
Thursday: Cathe Plyo HiiT One (Amazon)
Friday: Cathe STS Meso 1 Week 2 Back, Triceps (Amazon)

Not too many additional notes this week. I did the workouts as-is, substituting dumbbells for any barbell work but keeping everything else instructed.


Express Edition Launch:

For the past month Express has been promoting the launch of their new "high end" Express Edition collection all over Instagram and Snapchat. (And probably Facebook and Twitter too, but I don't really use those so I wouldn't know!) Now the collection is finally live online and I browsed through the pieces so I could have an opinion about it in case anyone asked for it. (They didn't. That's fine. I like to be prepared anyway.)

In my opinion, the items all have a very typical Express "Date Night/Holiday Party" look to them. However with Express Edition all the fabrics are higher quality...and consequently price tags are much higher than usual for Express. Blouses are silk instead of rayon, and jackets are real leather instead of (Minus the) Leather. Their website also says this collection is excluded from promotions, which makes it sound like you can't use coupons, although I haven't tried. Many of the pieces are very pretty and fun, but I I'm personally not planning to purchase any of it for now. $498 for pants is way outside my normal spending, and I don't have enough special/dressy events to justify the cost of the items. I could see purchasing a special occasion dress for $168, but I don't need one at the moment so it's not happening.

Here's a quick visual of some of the pieces from the Express Edition Collection with prices below:

Express Edition Pieces 1
 Dress (Front & Back View)  ($168) / Feather Skirt ($198) /  Leather pants ($498!)

Express Edition Pieces 2
Ivory Silk Blouse ($98) / Thigh High Boots ($298) / Tassel Necklace ($50)/  Leather Jacket ($398)

So...very pretty but not very affordable. I'll certainly be jealous of anyone who owns any of these pieces or has somewhere to wear them, but I'm not rushing out to get them myself.

Just a simple, straightforward kind of post today! Have a great weekend and see you back on Tuesday when I'll be sharing my top two outfit challenges of the season!

Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
ErikaAndrea and Narci /JoLynne / Katie / Megan

CONVERSATION

22 comments:

  1. I've been slacking on the at home workouts the past few weeks. I'm so impressed that you get a workout in everyday! That fringe skirt from the new express line is fun and that ivory silk blouse is so pretty!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  2. You win the award this week for best bootie collection and name of your nail polish. I hadn't heard the new collection. It does look nice, but I also can't justify $500 for a pair of leather pants. That leather jacket is pretty nice though and could make a wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your style as always!! A few weeks ago I left a comment asking your thoughts on the less than normal sales at express.... check out this article posted yesterday. Not just our imagination, they really are doing less sales but that hasn't stopped folks from spending $$ http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/12/03/no-discounts-no-problem-for-high-flying-express-as.html I do buy less frequently now and hold out for sales + coupons. Curious to see what their end of season sale will be like (if there is one?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for sharing that article!! What a good read and it was definitely interesting to have it confirmed some of what we've suspected there are in fact fewer sales and coupons! They eliminated SIX forty percent off days!!?! AHHH!! It definitely changed my shopping habits in the fall when I rarely saw a coupon or a good sale, and I will continue holding out for sales and coupons to shop there so I hope they don't eliminate them entirely! I think the brand has gained popularity so if they're earning more, maybe new shoppers just don't know as much about waiting for sales/promos. I probably spent the same there as always, I just timed it differently.

      Delete
  4. I wanted to ask you about this collection, the thing is if I wanted to spend that much on clothes I would probably go for a different brand. So it didn't really tempt me but that's just moi :) Looooove your leopard booties.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the leopard booties outfit especially seeing the front view. I wonder how the this Express Edition is going to sell. Will we be seeing markdowns in a few months or so? Maybe I can get those leather pants for $300 instead (not!). Most Express shoppers like to get the good deals. That tassel necklace is cute though and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rachelle. If I told someone I bought a $500 pair of pants from Express, they would most certainly think I have gotten ripped off. I think the One Eleven collection was definitely a smart move for them, but if us Express fanatics cannot get on board with a high end collection, I'm not sure how you're going to lure in the crowd that can afford this price point, as I imagine they are likely not shopping at Express in the first place! I guess we will see!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wearing all black outfits with a punch of colors, so I think I need those wine boots. That outfit is EVERYTHING!! And I think I need the feather skirt...now just to get $200 for a skirt I'll never wear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your leopard booties! I must have missed those on Insta. I really enjoy my pair, and I bet I'll get some great inspo from you. It's fun to see you buying boots. I saw that new Express collection too (through promotion and a blog). It all looks cool, but I agree on the price.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on your workout dedication! I do not have that type of motivation to workout at home but love going to Crossfit to get my sweat on. This holiday collection looks very pretty but I would never spend that kind of money on clothes that I don't wear often.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a mailer yesterday sporting the new "luxe" items and I really loved the moto jacket! LOL at the name of your polish! I've always loved that color on you!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the leopard booties you got! My week's typically have an unplanned similarity, too. I'll be curious to see how the high end Express line does. That moto jacket is pretty cool, though. Have a great weekend, Gina!

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your styling! and awesome job on the Express goodies you have. I am really lovin' the accessories!

    http://notjessfashion.com/beautiful-mornings/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing style Gina! Your style is one of my faves. You always dress and look incredible!
    Happy weekend.
    Xo, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute pink bag :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all your outfits! I love the necklace you're wearing in the top shot. Great post!
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice selection1

    Love the feather skirt as well


    http://www.afrogenik.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those leopard boots. Just wow. By the way, because of your post, I'm going to start adding home routine along side my GYM time. Still buying supplies.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to thank you. I have been so enamored with leggings outfits lately. They are comfortable, encouraging when I don't want to get out of bed because it's frozen outside, sleek, and basically awesome. The problem is I always worry I am not dressed appropriately because 1) I live in the Midwest, 2) I'm a mom, and 3) I work on a college campus. Tons of girls on campus wear them, but usually in a very casual way. This post, the way you style yours, reminds me how urban and chic they can look. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comment, Emily! I really appreciate that since I do really try to make it so that when I'm wearing leggings, people don't look at my outfit and think, "Oh, she's wearing leggings/loungewear." But just, "that's a nice outfit." So it means a lot that you interpret them that way!

      Delete
  19. I appreciate you educating us on the new higher-end Express line! Those are way out of my price range too. What a bummer that they're excluded from coupons. Maybe they're just starting the collection that way to make them seem better in a way? No idea. I bet that will change in the future though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amate il vostro cappotto, e sei così bella ragazza

    Leontina www.missydress.it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!