11/20/15

Outfits + Fitness Recap 11/20/15

|
Friday Fun Fact: Last week I had several comments about Triskaidekaphobia so I wanted to start today with another timely anecdote. November 20 didn't have any historical events that were much fun to discuss so I looked ahead to the weekend. It just so happens that on November 21, 1981 Olivia Newton-John's song "Physical" hit #1 on the charts and stayed there for ten weeks! I plan on jamming out to that song all weekend in celebration of "Physical" day. With that settled, on to the outfits...

Outfit Recap:


1. Burgundy Jacket + White Jeans
Jacket: Express / Cami: Express / Jeans: Express / Necklace: Express / Booties: Express / Nails: Sinful Colors "Easy Going"

2. Olive Cardigan + Leggings (See this and my other favorite comfy outfits here)
Sweater: Express / Tank: Target / Leggings: Express / Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Boots: Target (Similar)

4. White Moto + Black tank + Grey skinnies
Jacket: Express / Tank: Target / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express (Same jeans, different hem)  / Booties: Old Navy / Ring: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Bag: Amazon

4. Black Moto + Stripe Cami + Jeans + Booties

Jacket: Express / Cami: Express / Necklace: Stella & Dot / Jeans: Express / Booties: Express / Ring: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Bag: Amazon

Front View:

Front view singles for Pinning etc. available here.

Fitness Recap:

SALE ALERT! 
Before I get to my workout recap, a few weeks ago (here) several of you expressed an interest in my favorite Yoga DVD, Power Yoga for Happiness. At the time the only place I could find it was on Amazon, and it was overpriced there at $80. Right now there are several Used options on Amazon for $30-$34, but even better you can order it through Blissology this month for $16.99! The Magically Hips workout is the best I've ever done to open the hips, glutes, and IT bands. And if I'm really short on time, "The Quickie" and "Daily Dose of Bliss" mixes are also great.

Now, speaking of let's get physical, here are the workouts I completed this week, based around the weight training in this DVD set:
Entire Ripped with Hiit 9-Disc Set Amazon

Saturday: Cardio Kickboxing + Martial Arts class (Local Studio)
Sunday: Dance class (Local Studio)
Monday: Cathe Ripped with HiiT Lower Body Circuit (Amazon)
Tuesday: Cathe Ripped with HitT Low Impact Abs Workout 2 (Amazon) + Cathe Step Moves (Amazon)
Wednesday: Cathe Ripped with HiiT Upper Body Circuit Circuit (Amazon)
Thursday: MTV Power Yoga (Amazon)
Friday: Cathe Turbo Barre (Amazon)

Notes and Modifications:
I've had this DVD set for almost a year and I think this is only the second or third time I've done the Upper/Lower Circuit DVDs. This week I realized they are probably my two least favorite DVDs in the set and I probably won't include them as part of my regular rotation anymore. They would be good for a week when I know that I only have two days to weight train (vs. my usual three) due to travel or other conflicts, but in and of themselves I didn't feel like they worked my Upper or Lower Body as completely as I wanted. Hence the reason I added MTV Power Yoga (which really works my upper body) and Turbo Barre to the end of the week. (Thanks to Margaret for the recommendation on Turbo Barre!)

Workout Planning:

Not that anyone asked, but I thought I would share how I go about planning and selecting my workouts for the week since it might seem pretty random when I just list them out here week to week. I keep track of all the workouts I own in an Excel spreadsheet, that currently looks like this:

As you can see I currently have them separated into a few different categories. Within each category they aren't listed in any particular order. I usually just add new workouts to the bottom of the correct section as I purchase them.

Generally I do weights M/W/F. Cardio workouts are Tuesday/Saturday/Sunday. Thursday is flexible and I do yoga or extra cardio if I feel like it for some reason. But usually...

I keep a printout of my spreadsheet in my workout area and generally just work my way down the list. I pencil in the date next to the workout when I complete the workout, and once the sheet is full in one section (usually weights fills up first), I print out a new one and start over, but start the cardio selections wherever I left off. On cardio days I pick the next workout in whichever type I feel like doing. When it comes to the "Lower Body" and "Total Body Burn" segments, that's where I tend to mix and match and make a custom weight workout series since one DVD alone doesn't fill up my week or fatigue my muscles on its own. (This is harder to explain than I thought so feel free to ask follow up questions if you have any!)
* * *

Wow, that is a lot more than the "quick recap" I intended to do for workouts so I think it's time to call it a day before my eyes glaze over.  Next week I will be back with Astrology Style on Tuesday, and then it will be time for The Biggest Sale of the Year at Express, so I'm sure I'll share some favorites, wishlist items and whatever else strikes my fancy so I hope you'll stop by!


Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
ErikaAndrea and Narci /JoLynne / Katie / Megan

CONVERSATION

18 comments:

  1. I have a spreadsheet with picks for Black Friday at express, and I left a few spots open because I knew you would give me tons of other ideas :) excited to see what you pick! And fat Amy makes every day better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow when I'm ready to get more dvd I'm sure I'll be asking you for that spreadsheet, I love that you do most of your workouts at home and this have been life changing for me this year. I'll never go back to the gym. You are my fitness inspiration. And I cannot wait for the express sale, I need to refine my wishlist. I got the yoga dvd yesterday, I plan on adding it to my routine once a week.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and how to you like that Turbo Barre? thinking of getting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time doing it. I did the Lower Body Express premix (which is still 52 minutes total) and I would say I'd rate it a B+. One thing with Barre workouts is that (for me) it takes awhile to get the burn going so I feel they can get a little boring doing so many reps vs. a weights workout when you don't have to do as many reps to really feel it. So I think for that reason this type of workout won't ever be my favorite. That said I did like it and it's very well done. I am glad to have it in my collection for weeks like this where I want a little extra lower body work but not a completely exhausting weights workout.

      Delete
  4. You are so organized with your workouts! I'm in need of some new DVDs and am going to check out the Ripped with Hiit! Have a great weekend!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fall outfits! You do such a good job of having a wearable wardrobe while also having such interesting looks. I feel like you accessorize so well!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your effortless and chic looks! I need to start working out ASAP 🙈
    Happy Weekend beautiful.
    Love, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is reminding me that I need to wear white jeans with taupe booties. It just looks so good. I'm completely jealous of your DVD collection. We have a few of the same ones. I am no where near as organized as you are though. I should try that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so organized with your workouts! Now I see how you stay so dedicated and disciplined! I worked out exactly twice this week ;) In general, I prefer weights to cardio as well! I needed my inhaler after a jog on Tuesday night. But in my head, I really want to be a better runner so I keep trying anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have THE best collection of jackets, I want all of them! Haha, I do the same thing when I want to create a "quick" blog post like your recap, hard to stop when you have so many things to share! Have a great summer-like weekend ;-)

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gina, you are so organized. I admire your dedication. I was in Express yesterday to start early Christmas shopping and of course, picked up a necklace for myself. I wanted everything in their jewelry section! If your marled sweater goes on sale next week, I'm getting that too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply amazing. I need to do something like yours when I don't go to the GYM itself. I'm thinking of doing cardio on different days as. It just get to be too much to do cardio and weights at the same time. I so prefer the weight training anyhow.

    By the way, I love the Olive outfit. So nice.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always love these outfit recaps!
    Have a great weekend :)

    xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I see that olive sweater on you I fall in love with it all over again! It's so gorgeous! Your workout routine is pretty kick ass girl!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always hard for me to know what outfit I like best because yours are always SPOT ON! Loving the olive sweater for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love reading about your workouts and how you plan them. i tried to get that yoga dvd but it sold out :( boooooo. gotta love olivia newton john!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog I just discovered it! Your style is so chic and effortless. Right now I am trying to collect jackets. Would you consider doing a blog post of your jacket collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caity, thanks for the nice words! I don't know if I could swing a FULL jacket collection post but how about a compromise with my top eight jackets or something like that? :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!