11/3/15

Confessions

|
I hate to get anyone's hopes up for a scintillating post due to the title of "Confessions." I know I'm disappointed when I see a post called "Confessions" and it ends up being something like, "I wear white jeans after Labor Day!" I mean...I wanted Real Housewives style scandalous confessions! But I don't have any of those myself so unfortunately these are just my trivial fashion and blogging confessions that I wanted to get off my chest.


1. Repeat Offender

There's a certain unspoken pressure for people who post outfits on Instagram to share new outfits. Only and always. That's really...not  my favorite things about posting outfits there. When I'm happy with the way an outfit comes together I want to re-wear it, not discard it like a used tissue. And I do. Sometimes I make only the slightest change to make it "different." For example, I shared this outfit last week:
Tee: Express / Necklace: Forever 21 (Similar) / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Forever 21 (Similar) / Bag: Amazon / Watch: Fossil / Bracelet: Purple Peridot / Ring: Kendra Scott (c/o)

It's almost an exact replica of other outfits I've worn previously with just slightly different accessories. Each one has a different sleeve length, although it's hard to tell from this point of view, but you'll see it in the front view below:
Cami: Express / Necklace: Forever 21 (Similar) / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Forever 21 (Similar) / Bag: Amazon / Bracelet: Express (Similar)

Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Forever 21 (Similar) / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Forever 21 (Similar) Bracelet: Stella & Dot "Jacinthe" (Similar) / Nails: Sinful Colors "Easy Going"

And let's not forget the time I made it oh-so-different by adding a blazer and wedge pumps:
Cami: Express / Blazer: ExpressNecklace: Forever 21 (Similar) / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society (Similar) / Bag: Forever 21 (Similar) / Bracelet: Express (Similar) / Nails: Essie "Bahama Mama"

Front view of all four:

What can I say? I guess I'm a fan of the "if it ain't broke..." mantra.


2. Shopping Regrets

I read a quote by Jamie Chung in this month's People Style Watch (page 130) that really clicked with me and id something I'm always working on. She gave three "Style Secrets" and her third one was my favorite: "Be Strategic. I tend to shop online because when I go into stores, I walk out with a bunch of stuff I don't need. Everything in my closet has a purpose."

I love that philosophy and really try to implement it in my shopping. I think I'm pretty good about making thoughtful purchases, yet I still make mistakes. I have two recent ones that came to mind when I read that quote since they were in-store impulse buys.

First, this bracelet:

I bought it in store on impulse. So pretty. So sparkly. So I was sure I would wear it on my next night out. Two months later and it remains unworn. It's not a major regret but obviously I didn't need it right then and there. I'm sure I'll wear it eventually, but in the meantime I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Second, this skirt:
Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Skirt: Old Navy / Bag: Jessica Simpson (Similar) / Shoes: Sole Society (Similar) / Watch: Fossil / Bracelet: Loft / Ring: Express / Nails: Essie "Romper Room"

After seeing a lot of people rock the olive version of this skirt, I picked up the navy version (since olive was sold out)...on impulse. I thought navy would be a good neutral option too, but I've worn it exactly once. I've tried it on with several other tops and haven't found any others that worked, so it hasn't turned out to be the versatile piece I hoped it would. I can wear my white t-shirt with a dozen other pieces in my closet so I'm pretty sure I didn't "need" this skirt like I thought I did.


3. #OOY

Most days, I post my outfits on Instagram between 6-6:30 AM Pacific Time. If you've wondered how I get up and dressed and have a picture taken, edited, and ready to post so early (especially when it was still dark at that hour prior to the time change), the answer is that I don't. Typically my "outfit of the day" is what I wore the day prior. Normally I like to take my pictures while my kids are at school (so I can selfie in peace), then I edit them to be post-worthy (all the details about that in this post) later in the evening or early the next morning.

Sweater: Express / Cami: Express / Necklace: CCO (Similar) / Jeans: Express / Sandals: 
Forever 21 (Similar) / Watch: Fossil / Bracelet: Purple Peridot

I feel slightly dishonest using #OOTD when it's actually my outfit of yesterday (#OOY?). And is it deceptive to quote, "On Wednesdays We Wear Pink," when I post my pink outfit on Wednesday knowing full well that I wore it on a Tuesday? And sometimes there's an issue of a weather change and the locals will chime in with questions like, "Why are you wearing open shoes in the rain?" Answer: Because it wasn't raining when I took this yesterday! Yet it's redundant to explain the actual time I wore an outfit in every single post. I don't do it this way to deceive people, it's just for the sake of working around my own schedule plus the best time of day for natural light vs. the best times to post pictures for engagement (because you know we all fear posting a picture and only getting two "likes!") These are my real clothes and my real outfits, they just don't get shared in real time.



Shop the Post:




Linking up with:
 Lindsey /Amanda / Tara / ErikaAndrea and Narci /JoLynne

CONVERSATION

30 comments:

  1. Jamie is spot on with her advice, I have been avoiding malls a lot. Last week I made a couple of slip-ups but the very next day I went back and returned everything. It can be hard to be strategic, but you end up with pieces that you love and cherish way more. Yes skirts like that are often difficult to style.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I can selfie in peace, LOL. These may be your confessions, but I am pretty sure they could be all of ours. I know I definitely rewear (it just doesn't always get posted), have regrets, and post things when it works best. Personally I like knowing this about you because I'm in the same boat!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rewear all of my outfits and switching up the accessories always makes them feel new! I also prefer online shopping because I always end up returning what I bought at the mall due to buyers remorse!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much never share an outfit in real time for a couple reasons: 1. I don't have the items readily available via LTK 2. I don't want to take the time while I'm out and about with friends to sit and edit a post and then "promote" it on Instagram 3. the time I take th epicture my followers are the least active. I could get behind this #OOY haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha i love this post :) i am totally the same with 'if it aint broke' and i love jamie chung, that advice is spot on! i rarely go to malls / shops anymore because i can totally convince myself i need all the things, whereas i definitely have more restraint online. and i totally think OOY is fine, people do that alllllll the time, not just with outfits, but with photos in general.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also laughed out loud with the "so I can selfie in peace." I think I figured out that your insta outfits were taken the day before, but for people who don't blog, I think it's good that you explained it so well here. At least you're honest! Sometimes I get a little annoyed by bloggers lack of transparency. But you've always been so real about this, thus why I love your blog. And re-wearing is great! No need to be in the rat race of buying new things each week. Real style comes from knowing yourself and I think it shows people that you only need a few key pieces to build a wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With that title, I was expecting something a little more scandalous. If you want my opinion, it's not broken. Don't fix it. I also think you coined a new catch phrase: "Let me selfie in peace." I always figure everyone takes at least a day to edit their outfit selfies to post? I've always wonder if the creators of Instagram imagined people everywhere immediately posting inspirational moments caught on their phone cameras. Love the looks and your Instagram account. Don't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are a little hard on yourself! I don't even want to think about my impulse purchases! Ha! You have a lot of discipline when it comes to shopping. I think it's natural to make a couple of bad choices once in awhile! And that bracelet is pretty fab, FWIW!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. And PS I've found it easier on my sanity if I don't stress about posting my actual outfit I'm wearing the second I'm wearing it. That's what snapchat is for! :) I wouldn't feel guilty about it. Doesn't everyone know Instagram isn't real life? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading this post, such a fun read! I have so many impulse purchases in my closet. Can you believe that I have a pair of True Religion jeans that I found at Marshalls that I bought when I was High School and they still have a tag on them! lol! I think the only reason I bought them was because of the price haha ;) I also have a lot of accessories that I picked up, but haven't worn even once. This was a great post!!

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also a repeat offender, when i love something it's hard not to wear it twice.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes I feel the same pressure to share the latest styles and most popular trends, especially when I have brands sending a pretty steady stream of items for review. But while I might wear one or two new pieces each week, I'm repeating outfits or restyling older pieces the other five or six days of the week. I like challenging myself to find new ways to wear something. It keeps a piece exciting. And if I buy or accept something for review, it's because I love it and want to wear it again and again.

    And like you, my biggest confession is that I'm also wearing my white after Labor Day, specifically my white jeans. Scandalous, right? I'm trying to find multiple ways to style them for fall because I definitely believe they can be worn year-round.

    My favorite look from this round-up is the one with the floaty pink tank. Super cute!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a total outfit repeater, lol. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I mean, remix it a little- but if it works, it works, and you should wear it again. :)

    Also, "so I can selfie in peace." LOL YES.

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet the majority of people aren't wearing the real-time outfit they post on Instagram. Think of all of the editing going on once the picture is taken. No one has time to stop and edit (per Darcy). And think of all of the staged desk and meal photos. I always take pictures for posting later and a lot of the reasons are the same as you - light and "selfie in peace."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am laughing at your confessions! They are so true especially about sharing "new" outfits. I love clothes and love getting to wear them over and over and sometime do feel like some are too blah to share on IG.

    In regards to real time on IG, my outfit are rarely the same day. I sync my photos with my blog post so most of my outfits are taken way in advance. I really post pictures when I feel like it's the right topic with the right outfit. With our delayed fall, I am now using pictures from last fall that didn't get used (shh...it's our little secret).

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see your Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy to hear about your "confessions"! I always see you as this perfect person on the internet, so it's nice to know that you also make bad shopping decisions and wear the same thing over and over. I do the same so it makes me feel a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely fabulous outfit! You look so beautiful! It’s so stylish!

    p.s. new post about how I met Victoria Beckham already on my blog

    Diana Cloudlet
    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am with you - my #ootd - is typically of the day before. And, I too, like to re-wear what I buy. Gina - I love your honesty for sharing what a lot of do.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely agree with Jamie in principle, but struggle to put it into action in my closet. I have quite a few pieces that sit in my closet and don't get as much love as they should.

    Also, I should start posting my #ootd from the day before. It would save me a lot of stress from trying to find the perfect place to take a selfie (w/o people looking at me) to try to get something up on Instagram for the day, lol!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whatever piece I buy now, I think on the line of how many other ways can I wear it. I have gone to three months of not buying not one single new piece, and I don't like that at all. So with my new budget coming up, I have to think of re-wear value. Nice post as always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so refreshing to hear this as my outfits are rarely in real time, I still have to figure out how to take full body selfies!! It never works so my IG outfit posts are usually from the week prior never mind the day before but I think its obvious as it's always tied to my blog post so hopefully no one thinks I'm deceiving them. Thanks for sharing this and being so honest. I re-wear always and changing up accessories is the perfect way to make it seem new you are totally an expert on this and I love each way you styled this outfit!! Oh man I totally need to follow Jamie's rule, I was just in the mall and honestly I have very little will power and worse I often forget to return things-yikes!! I'm slowly starting to get into online shopping which really does help. Have a great rest of the week Gina:)
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am, quite often, a repeat offender when it comes to outfits. I agree - if it ain't broke don't fix it! Though I'm not as creative in adding little twists to my outfits. I typically just style my hair differently. haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! There's nothing wrong with repeating great outfits, in my opinion. :)

    www.maggiealamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I appreciate the confessions- to know you aren't "perfect" but quite normal! As I get older, I understand my own personal style more, and don't make as many regretted purchases- and I also wear similar outfits again and again, because I know what works, and what definitely does not work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loveeee wearing basic! thanks for this post :) u cute!

    Marisa
    http://summersnackies.blogspot.co.id

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved to read your confessions and I think we are all in the same boat! I too have a few regrettable purchases that I have no idea why I bought them and then they just seem to sit unused. :( I love to see that you are wearing an outfit that you like more than once and just change it up a little! Looks so great!

    Rebecca
    http://www.winnipegstyle.ca/Blog/default.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your forever 21 sandals! I am such a fan of wearing outfits I love over and over!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely collection, I too love basic tees :)
    New post - http://www.sapphireziva.com/fashion_detail.php?id=39
    would u like to follow each other?

    xo, kanchan

    ReplyDelete
  29. As always I enjoyed reading this "confessions" even though they weren't scandalous. I don't see how people can post a new outfit regularly. They must be made out of money. Loving the fact that you posted a skirt outfit! Have a great weekend Gina!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!