10/27/15

Scorpio Style

|
Scorpio Season officially began on Friday (it runs October 23 - November 21) so it's time for another installment of my Astrology Style Series! Every month I examine the style traits of some famous ladies who fall under the sign of the month to see what they have in common and what outfit ideas I can get from them.

For some signs there's a certain item that they love (like Virgos and their neutral cardigans), and other signs seem to gravitate to a color (like Gemini and black or Leo and white). With Scorpios it is definitely about the color. Last Year I focused more on Scorpio personality traits and learned they they are intense, passionate people. So it seems very fitting that their signature color is also an intense, passionate red, like these Scorpio ladies are wearing:

 Bethenny Nov. 3, 1970 / Emma Nov. 6, 1988 / Jenny Nov. 1, 1972 / Demi November 11 1962

Another interesting thing I discovered is that in the U.S., election day falls under Scorpio Season. And coincidentally, some well-known political ladies like Hillary, Condoleezza, and Laura are all Scorpios. And of course, they love to wear red!
 Hillary Clinton October 26 1947 / Condoleezza Rice November 4 1954 / Laura Bush  November 4 1946 /

I thought this quote about Scorpios from Astrology.com was very interesting and completely fitting of my perception of Hillary in particular.  "The great strength of the Scorpio-born is in their determination, passion and motivation. Scorpios don't know the word quit, which is why they usually get the job done. A powerhouse? Like no other."

Now comes the part of the post where I try to get some style inspiration from the sign of the month. And here's the deal: I only own one piece of red clothing that I can use this time of year - my red Barcelona Cami as seen in these past outfits:
ONE:
Top: ExpressNecklace: ExpressSkirt: Express (Similar) / Sandals: Nordstrom

TWO:
Top: ExpressJeans: Express / Shoes: Aldo (Option) / Necklace: Express (Similar) / Wristlet: Express (Similar) /Bracelets: Express (Similar)

THREE:
Top: ExpressJeans: Express (Similar) / Blazer: ExpressShoes: Dolce Vita Safia (Option) / Necklace: Express (Similar) / Wristlet: ExpressBracelet: Etsy

I'm an Aquarius, so red isn't exactly my signature color. In general I like it a lot! But when it comes to outfits I have a hard time styling it in a way that doesn't make me feel "festive" since it's associated with so many holidays (Christmas, Valentine's Day, 4th of July). I usually tone it down by pairing it with black (as evidenced above). However I wanted to use this post as motivation to branch out and get some new fall outfit ideas, so I hit up Pinterest for some new-to-me ideas.

Red and Camel/Beige:
(I swapped the colors on the tops and skipped the boots since it's too warm for those here):
Sweater: Express / Top: Express / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society / Ring: Target

Red and Grey:
Sweater: Express / Top: Express / Necklace: Kendra Scott (c/o) / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society

Result: I really wasn't comfortable in either of the new-to-me outfits and I don't see myself wearing them outside of this post. They were okay, but just not quite "me." I guess I just don't have enough of that Scorpio intensity!

As always, I can't wait to hear from Scorpios how you feel about your signature color! I don't have any female family members or close friends who are Scorpios to compare notes with on this one!



Shop the Post:



P.S. If you're wondering about the style traits for your own sign, you can check out the last post about it here!

Aries / Taurus Gemini / Cancer / Leo / Virgo / Libra / 


CONVERSATION

14 comments:

  1. I do love my red barcelona cami, but I mostly wear the black side. I love pairing bold colors with camel thougth, perhaps you will like hot pink better.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with red too. It's just not a color that I gravitate to, Gemini here. Very interesting post.
    Xoxo,

    Whitney & Blaire

    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love red but barely have any in my closet! Both the red/camel and red/gray looks are so cute! I think I will need to add some red to my wardrobe this winter!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such fun posts and that Astrology.com quote nailed it for Hillary (who I think looks great in red). I should have been a Scorpio because it's always been my favorite color to wear. I really liked those last two outfits on you and pinned that one with the camel sweater and leopard heels. I have some leopard heels, but am so jealous of your shoe collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i honestly don't know if i own any red, i don't feel comfortable in it at all. it's loud and i feel like it clashes with my pasty skin, you know? plus, like you said, i totally feel like it's holiday-y. emma stone is probably my favourite out of all these ladies, she always looks so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually don't own any red clothing at all! I don't think it's very flattering on my skin tone so I tend to stay away from it. I would much prefer a burgundy or other dark tone like that. These look great on you though and I love it with your blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a good memory. Yes, I am a Scorpio. My birthday is Thursday (as I get older, I really hate commemorating the day). As you remembered, I have never really identified with the Scorpio personality profile. I'm not mysterious, intense, or passionate. I am moody though :-) I keep meaning to ask my mom if I was overdue and meant to be born under the Libra sign. I also have to laugh because I don't really own much red even though my post yesterday featured a bright red scarf. Maybe I need introduce more red into my wardrobe. Hmmm... I love this series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I love your astrology style series Gina. Scorpio is my sign and you are spot on. I adore shades of red and love seeing all the red gorgeousness here. <3 XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to check this post out since you mention it on Instagram. Love it as usual and I'm glad decided to check it out.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the two outfits you styled at the bottom (with the grey and beige cardigans).

    I am a Scorpio and I wear quite a bit of red, though I often temper it similar to the way you did in the last two outfits of this post. I mix it with multiple neutrals, use it as just a highlight (like a red scarf on a black and white outfit), or wear darker shades of red like burgundy, wine, or this season's marsala, which I like to think of as ruby. I like almost all the red derivatives including corals.

    Do you think you would have liked the two bottom outfits better if the interior silhouette was different? I am thinking how I love it when you wear your flyaway cardigans with the target tanks, because that has the balance of exterior draping and interior fitted.

    Thank you so much for this post series Gina! All your posts are fun, but I do so love the astrology ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Emily! I appreciate the feedback a lot. I am wrapping up the second year of this series and starting to consider whether to carry it on into year three but comments like yours make me think I will.

      As far my last two outfits, I think you have a good point about the interior silhouette. It's possible I would like them better with a fitted tank or tee- I can definitely see how that would give a little more balance! The set with the beige tank and red sweater is a good visual on that. For now I guess red is just my holiday cami :)

      Delete
  11. If you're searching for the most recommended Bitcoin exchange company, then you should choose YoBit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a scorpio (gemini rising indeed, but i don't think i have much from them when it comes to style) and i wouldn't choose any of the outfits presented here. My hubby is also a scorpio and none of us owns any red clothes (not even socks). We are powerful people with strong personalities so it's pretty legit to associate to us the red colour but our strenght comes from within, from a powerful makeup, from our strut, from a overwhelming perfume etc not from wearing colourful red stuff. I read you're an aquarius so it's hard for you to understand us (i don't understand air sign either, not even gonna try to, lol) but i don't think you should've made this post with so little understanding of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always intended for these posts to be fun and entertaining and to simply see whether I could find any style similarities between sign mates. Sorry to hear it missed the mark for you on both counts!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!