7/20/15

4 Day Packing Plan: Oregon Coast

|
I originally wrote this post at the end of June when I was preparing to go out of town for the 4th of July weekend. I scheduled it to post on Monday, July 6 (and it did temporarily because I had completely forgotten about it) but pulled it to focus on family. I'm sharing it now because it's already prepared so I might as well publish it. (I guess?) 

* * *

I'm headed to the Oregon Coast this weekend and as usual, I'm multi-tasking by blogging and packing at the same time. I tried to borrow as many outfits as I could from my San Francisco trip and make sure I applied the lessons I learned then about having the right footwear and not taking too many jackets. So this time around, I started building my outfits for this trip around just those elements.

Pink Bag: Express / Jacket: LOFT / Leopard Sandals: NordstromCaged Sandals: Target  Sneakers: Amazon  

Packing Objective:
I want every outfit I pack to go with the one bag and jacket I'm bringing and to be able to work with any of the shoe options so I'm ready for just about any activity.

Four Days of Neutrals:
Just like my last trip, I packed all neutral basics. I know I'll get tired of it by the last day, but it's just easier this way. I always start my outfit planning the same way when I travel, by laying the primary elements of each outfit on my bed next to each other for each day of the trip, like this:


All of these are based on outfits I've previously worn as shown below, and this is when it really comes in handy that I regularly document my outfits for blogs and Instagram! The jacket will be different and sometimes the shoes will be different than above, but in theory it all works so I'm hoping for the best!


And here's how the outfits look set up next to the jacket and bag I'll be taking...

Day One: 
Jacket: LOFT / Tee: Target / Leggings: Express / Bag: Express / Necklace: Express 

Day Two: 
Jacket: LOFT / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Bag: Express / Sandals: Target / Jeans: Express

Day Three: 
Jacket: LOFT / Tee: Old Navy / Bag: Express / Necklace: Express /  Sneakers: Amazon / Black Jeans: Express

Day Four: Last day of visiting and travel home
Jacket: LOFT / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Bag: Express / Sandals: Nordstrom / Jeans: Express


Okay, I'm already bored of this color scheme just planning these outfits and doing this post, but I have to remind myself they will be fine for four days of hanging out with family and touring around.  My plan was to try them on and show the way each outfit will look on me with the three alternate shoe options and jacket, but I was kidding myself to think I'd have time to do all that plus pack for my kids before this trip! 

* * *

I ended up making quite a few changes to my plan at the last minute, and in my next post I'll share a quick recap of what I really wore and some of the pieces that have become my favorites for summer travel. (UPDATE: That post is now complete and you can find it here!)


Shop the Post:







Linkup Button


If you are a blogger stopping by for Manic Monday, please head over to More Pieces of Me to join the link-up. In light of recent events in my life, the time has come for me to officially step down as co-host of Manic Monday.  For the time being, I will be scaling back my posting schedule to two days per week (Tuesday/Friday) in order to make my Mondays a little less manic and my life a little more Family Friendly. Carylee is planning to carry on with her own Monday link-up and I hope you will give her your continued support! 

And just in case you're wondering, Carylee and I are not breaking up. We still text all day, everyday and have plans to spend holidays together. We will just have different blog schedules now and it no longer makes sense to collaborate on this particular project. Thanks to everyone who has supported us from the beginning and helped us grow our blogs and build so many great friendships!

Linking up with:

CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss Gina. I wish you a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keeping a simple color scheme is so smart. Thinking of you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very smart packing and great outfit ideas. Have a safe trip Gina. Thinking of you. Hugs
    -Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will keep you & your family in my prayers Gina!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty awesome packing techniques. Love all your planned outfit. Have a safe trip back and so sorry for your loss, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was great packing! I love all of these outfit ideas!

    Thinking of you and keeping your family in my prayers!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a great time with your family, and I'm keeping your nephews in my thoughts and prayers! Thank you for keeping us updated <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job packing for a short trip. Thinking of your & you family!

    Alice
    www.happpinessatmidlife.com



    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand that decision :) you have to do what works best for you and your family.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great packing tips - love the Target sandals. So happy to read you will still be blogging two days a week. Hope you and your family are continuing to heal.
    XO
    Carrie and Stacy
    CS Gems

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't blogging help when packing?! When we went to NYC, I totally just thought about all my favorite blog outfits that would travel easily and pair well with comfy shoes and threw them all in a suitcase. It worked so well! I like what you packed. It sounds like you have figured out a blogging schedule that will work well for you and your family. I'm glad for you. :)

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neutrals are always good for packing. I always end up with a suitcase full of neutrals myself. It really is so much easier. I love that jacket and that cute bag. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wanted to mention that I'm sad to hear you're no longer hosting Manic Monday. I always enjoyed linking up with you and Carylee. But it's totally understandable and I'm glad you're choosing to do what's right for you right now.

      Delete
  13. Sad to hear that you will be stepping down on Manic Monday but I am glad you are focusing on your To-Love list.

    Alice
    www.happpinessatmidlife.com



    ReplyDelete
  14. totally understand why you are cutting down on blogging and happy that you and your bestie aren't breaking up ;)
    i love the way you pack, laying the outfits out. so smart. i also love the shoes in the first outfit (of the 4 actual similar outfits to what you packed, if that makes sense) - are they your leopard wedges or are they leopard flats? I forget. I feel a little deja vu here, so please ignore me if so.
    as much as i love fun things or whatever, neutrals are where it's at and it makes life so easy.
    hope all is as well as can be love, big hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for the nice words! The shoes in that particular outfit are the flats from Sole Society. They are sold out right now but since they haven't removed them from the website maybe they'll re-stock for fall? I guess time will tell! And you're right, the neutrals did really make life easier.

      Delete
  15. Packing is always such a trick! The hardest part for me is actually liking what I wear after I pack it! My outfits always depend on my mood!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sad to see you go from Manic Monday but seriously think you are taking this tragedy in stride and focusing on what's really important. Glad you are making the best decision for you :)

    xo, Jasmin
    www.jasmindaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in the middle of packing right now for CT/NYC/Boston, and it's a struggle! Loving all your neutrals, especially all the olive hues and the pop of color with your pretty bag.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hope you have fun on your trip! cute jeans and outfits!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Packing neutrals is a great tip! I'm sad that you will no longer be co-hosting but I understand. Thinking of you!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you have a great trip, love! I love your neutral packing color scheme! So sad to hear that you will no longer be co-hosting :( family definitely comes first though!! Hope your doing ok!!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Gina, I want to extend my hugest condolescences to you about your big loss. I cannot imagine loosing two nephews from the same accident. I am truly sorry for all of your family.

    As far as the vacation packing, it is perfect. Yes, a mostly neutral color scheme but that's what works bets when you want to pack light. You look great.

    Hugs to you. <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally understand about cutting back on blogging to make your life less stressful and make more time for friends and family. I LOVE blogging, but hate when it makes me feel like I have to say no to plans sometimes. It's not worth it to turn down time with loved ones!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great packing list! I love the jeans looks. Have a great trip. Oregon is always worth a visit, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was just at the Oregon coast this weekend. We live just an hour away, so we're there often. The weather was beautiful but you never know when it's going to get cold there, so we always take jackets. It was shorts and t-shirts weather this weekend, but it can be very windy. I find it hard to walk on the beach in sandals, so I always wear tennis shoes. Bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right, Mary! I ended up taking each of those items on my trip and was SO GLAD I had them. Even though it was scorching hot in Portland, I still needed my jacket on the coast every day. And definitely sneakers for walking on the beach!

      Delete
  25. Those are some great items to take for a trip! Flats, tennis shoes, a jacket, and a tee shirt are what I would take on a trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I completely admire and respect you Gina for so many reasons, and you taking the time to be with your family and concentrate on your loved ones instead of blogging is one of them. I know your readers will still be as loyal as ever, and I know you and carylee are destined to be friends forever :) I'm happy this isn't a break-up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. (I'm catching up on my comments and working backwards). I commend you for doing what is right for you and your family. Sometimes life happens and we have to take a look at where we are, what we are doing, and how it all fits together. Even though you will be posting less frequently and not hosting Manic Monday, you will still be at the top of my reader. You've been supportive of me throught the last few years and I will continue to support you through this crazy blogging journey. P.S - I still remember one of my first comments on your blog. Express draw-string track pants were featured in Redbook for date night and you had a funny comment about how it was good that they were elastic waist pants because if it's a good date, they would come off at some point in the night (or something like that). It was refereshing to see that someone with a fashion blog could also be a little dirty-minded and sarcastic (just like me)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!